Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuing the MYP MOTU Cartoon?

Continuing the MYP MOTU Cartoon?

I think the MYP Masters of the Universe cartoon from 2002 was ahead of its time and is still one of my favorite animated series. Would be cool to see a continuation of the series picked up by Netflix or another streaming service so we can see how the Horde integrates into the story line. I feel like this is more of a possibility with today's technology but I think it is just a pipe dream but one can only hope.

I absolutely agree with this idea, I LOVED the MYP MOTU as well and would have loved to have seen a continuation, and I am looking forward to Revelation and the other new MOTU series as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely agree with this idea, I LOVED the MYP MOTU as well and would have loved to have seen a continuation, and I am looking forward to Revelation and the other new MOTU series as well.
    I am looking forward to Revelation as well and I honestly hope is does really...we need more MOTU in our lives

It would be neat to see, if Revelations and the other CGI animated series both do well, other iterations of MOTU make it to Netflix - heck, I'd even settle for them streaming the MYP series - and following up a year or so later with a one-off movie that wrapped up some of the dangling storylines in one epic adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    It would be neat to see, if Revelations and the other CGI animated series both do well, other iterations of MOTU make it to Netflix - heck, I'd even settle for them streaming the MYP series - and following up a year or so later with a one-off movie that wrapped up some of the dangling storylines in one epic adventure.
    I would love to see a one off movie too...thought never crossed my mind. With shelter in place and the talent not being able to regular filming, I think they should go this route and give fans what they want. Would be cool to even see the Powers of Grayskull cartoon they were planning back in the 80's and see it realized.

MYP on streaming would be amazing. New Adventures would be cool to have on streaming too as I have never seen that one.

Heroic Warrior
    The complete MYP and New Adventures series are on YouTube in above average quality (not to mention the original Filmation He-Man and She-Ra shows).

I would also love a MYP MOTU movie or continuation of some sort, and I also didn't discover New Adventures until I joined the forums around 2002, but I'm a huge fan now.

Add me to the list of those who would have loved to see the MYP MOTU cartoon continued. It would have been great to see the Horde maybe even She-Ra brought into the story.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I wouldn't mind. The only way it could work is if a place like Netflix also got the rights to show the original episodes and showed that a few months before premiering the new episodes. While a lot of animated shows of today would kill for the ratings that MYP got back in the day, it is not viewed as a successful show by many. It also hasn't been replayed on tv like the Filmation show over the years has on Netflix, Tubi, retro stations, and other places. The Filmation show has also been easy to regularly buy on DVD or streaming whereas MYP had a few DVD releases that have been out of stock over extended periods. Its DVD sales were nowhere near Filmation's. While there were plans for things like the Horde being a big enemy and Man-At-Arms becoming a Snake-Man in a season 3, season 2 did end with King Hiss defeated, so it is not like it ended on a cliff hanger.

See the MYP cartoon come back would be a dream come true. It was by far my favorite MOTU show. I loved the introduction of the Snakemen. The Horde coming in Season 3 would have been spectacular.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    See the MYP cartoon come back would be a dream come true. It was by far my favorite MOTU show. I loved the introduction of the Snakemen. The Horde coming in Season 3 would have been spectacular.
    Totally agree with your comments. I also think the 200x line had the best figures, busts and deluxe statues as well. Ahh the memories when we use to buy them by the case via the Org and some of the Con exclusives.

He-Man historian
    I remember BCI Guys addressed this, since he witnessed first hand how well received the MOTU/POP/NA/200x DVD sales were...

Sadly there hasn't been enough interest to warrant a continuation of 2002 cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    That ship has sailed. The show just wasn't nearly enough of a success to bring it back after what would end up being a near decade off the air. It makes a million times more sense to start with something totally NEW and hope to draw in a larger audience.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I think MYP happened either too late or too soon, too late in regards to kids buying toys, and too soon in regards to the advancement of streaming. If it was done in the last 5 years, before the woke plague started, and Mattel wasn't so bad with the toys, it would have done better, though it would be nice to have things conclude naturally, rather than just, 'oop, cancelled', it always happens too soon
    Demand quality.

Quote Originally Posted by theweaponsrack View Post
    I think the MYP Masters of the Universe cartoon from 2002 was ahead of its time and is still one of my favorite animated series. Would be cool to see a continuation of the series picked up by Netflix or another streaming service so we can see how the Horde integrates into the story line. I feel like this is more of a possibility with today's technology but I think it is just a pipe dream but one can only hope.
    I'd actually be a lot more interested in a season 3 MYP 200X cartoon than the Filmation extension. Not taking anything away from what Fimation did for the brand but the cartoon series really had no beginning, middle, or end. You can jumble around the episodes in any order. The MYP had a course to them, a little history, etc and that tease of the Horde was awesome. Sure count me in for another season of 200X!

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    I think MYP happened either too late or too soon, too late in regards to kids buying toys, and too soon in regards to the advancement of streaming. If it was done in the last 5 years, before the woke plague started, and Mattel wasn't so bad with the toys, it would have done better, though it would be nice to have things conclude naturally, rather than just, 'oop, cancelled', it always happens too soon
    The so-called "woke plague" is the response to the many decades of the BIGOTRY PLAGUE that preceded it.

Heroic Warrior
    MYP was the best thing MOTU related ever. Sadly I don't see it continuing. Any MOTU that happens now would be plagued by pc culture and basically ruined. So it doesn't matter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    MYP was the best thing MOTU related ever. Sadly I don't see it continuing. Any MOTU that happens now would be plagued by pc culture and basically ruined. So it doesn't matter anyway.
    I absolutely disagree, what people call "PC culture" is really just sensitivity and compassion which cannot ruin a property, especially one like MOTU/POP/NA which thrives on the very essence of equality, diversity and inclusiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    True and just because the toys flopped they canceled the cartoon...really doesn't make sense..They could have continued it...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I'd actually be a lot more interested in a season 3 MYP 200X cartoon than the Filmation extension. Not taking anything away from what Fimation did for the brand but the cartoon series really had no beginning, middle, or end. You can jumble around the episodes in any order. The MYP had a course to them, a little history, etc and that tease of the Horde was awesome. Sure count me in for another season of 200X!
    Yes it was the best MOTU cartoon we got

As a kid I love the MOTU characters but always felt the Filmation cartoons, as much as I enjoyed watching them, were too simple in plot and did nothing to advance the actual storyline. To be fair from memory this seemed to be the case for many cartoons in the 80s with some exceptions.

The MYP cartoon was actually the one thing that brought me back to MOTU again as I was not aware of NA till I joined the Org. I really thought the MYP cartoon was done very well and in my opinion, it deserved another three seasons.

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    True and just because the toys flopped they canceled the cartoon...really doesn't make sense..They could have continued it...
    It makes perfect Sense (from Mattel’s point-of-view).

They created a toyline. And to help support that toyline there was media created (=cartoon).
    When toy sales were not what they hoped/expected, and decided no longer to produce more toys, therefore no need to order anymore seasons of the cartoon.

Its not the cartoon that was making them money.
    So why keep spending $500’000-750’000 per episode? (Not confirmed numbers, general 2000s animation estimates)

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post

They created a toyline. And to help support that toyline there was media created (=cartoon).
    When toy sales were not what they hoped/expected, and decided no longer to produce more toys, therefore no need to order anymore seasons of the cartoon.

So why keep spending $500’000-750’000 per episode? (Not confirmed numbers, general 2000s animation estimates)
    I can understand the business side of things Jukka, but I, for one, would still have loved some continuation of the MYP MOTU series somehow. Toys are wonderful, but for me at least the TV series, potential movies and books are just as important to fans if not the creative powers that be. I hope the two new MOTU series bring in the Horde and the Snake Men somehow and find a way to continue those storylines even with a new narrative for a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t a potential season 3 for MYP going to focus on the Horde?

Widget
    I'd be totally up for more of the MYP series, although I'd like a minor retcon. Smudge over the King Grayskull stuff (add some mystery back into Castle Grayskull by having its origins and the origins of the power within be unknown and KG get renamed as Grayskull when he is chosen to wield the Sword against the Snakemen).

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t a potential season 3 for MYP going to focus on the Horde?
    That is what producers have told us in a Q&A back in 2004.
    The Evil Horde was going to take over Eternia, with ”Masters becoming renegades in their own land”.
    Sadly Its a fan-myth that ”oh, that means She-Ra was going to be in season 3”. One that plagues even today, confusing those who wish to learn.

I agree that the MYP series was ahead of its time. As many people have said, it really is the best MotU adaptation we have, so far. That may be why people hold it in such high regard. But if the new Revelations series is as good as I hope then we will have a new, best MotU version.

But if I ever make a billion dollars, I will personally fund a third season to MYP MotU! (not to mention many other things!)
    "Everything comes to he who waits."