Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Female musical Artists (Catch-All) Thread

Belinda Carlisle also played a live gig with The Beach Boys, they performed Wouldn't It Be Nice and Band Of Gold together.

The Go-Go's also performed Brian Wilson's Surf City at a tribute concert.

"Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Female Musical Artists (Catch-All) Thread

I'm restarting my thread celebrating all things associated with The Go-Go's, the first all-female band to write their own songs and play their own instruments. I also love how The Go-Go's are best friends and frequent collaborators with the members of my other favourite all-female band, The Bangles, who have their own thread.

The line-up is:

Belinda Carlisle (Vocals)
    Charlotte Caffey (Lead Guitar, Keyboards)
    Jane Wiedlin (Rhythm Guitar)
    Kathy Valentine (Bass)
    Gina Schock (Drums)

Discography:

Beauty And The Beat
    Vacation
    Talk Show
    Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's
    God Bless The Go-Go's

Belinda and Jane have had success as solo artists (and Jane has formed two other bands FroSTed and Elletrodomestico); Kathy Valentine has worked with The Delphines and The Blue Bonnets with Dominique Davalos, and has released a solo album called Light Years; Charlotte has been a member of The Graces with Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti and her sister-in-law is Anna Waronker from That Dog who also has solo albums; and Gina had a band called House Of Schock with Vance DeGeneres, the brother of Ellen DeGeneres.

Other albums:

Belinda Carlisle:

Belinda
    Heaven On Earth
    Runaway Horses
    Live Your Life Be Free
    Real
    A Woman And A Man
    A Place On Earth: Greatest Hits
    Voila
    Wilder Shores

Jane Wiedlin:

Jane Wiedlin
    Fur
    Tangled
    The Very Best Of Jane Wiedlin
    Cold (FroSTed)
    Kissproof World
    When You're A Boy Or A Girl (Elletrodomestico)

Kathy Valentine:

The Delphines
    Cosmic Speed

Light Years

Boom Boom Boom Boom
    Play Loud
    Tone Wrecker

Charlotte Caffey:

Perfect View (The Graces)

Gina Schock:

House Of Schock

Here are some of The Go-Go's best songs:

Here is the band's latest single Club Zero:

Last edited by Mikey; October 26, 2020 at 01:11am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Funny thing is The Go-Go's did not make an album after releasing the 4th album God Bless The Go-Go's in 2001.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Funny thing is The Go-Go's did not make an album after releasing the 4th album God Bless The Go-Go's in 2001.
    That doesn't mean anything.

The hot new single Club Zero is making up for lost time. When music is high quality, who needs quantity?

Besides, Belinda, Kathy and Jane have all released music between then and now.

I wish Charlotte and Gina would follow suit, but they are busy writing and producing now.

I also love Michael Steele who was a member of The Runaways for a short stint before she joined The Bangles.

Michael gave her account on why she left The Runaways because of their sleazy male manager and found a new home and family with The Bangles, who like The Go-Go's fired their male managers early on and made their music on their own terms, writing their own songs and playing their own instruments. I know The Runaways did that too, but they were NOT in the same calibre as The Go-Go's and The Bangles as far as being strong women on their own terms goes.

As much as I LOVE The Bangles Walk Like An Egyptian, there were many behind the scenes controversies about that song. The reason they fired their male manager was because after they agreed to do the song (one of few songs they DIDN'T write themselves), Debbi Peterson was given the shaft. She was supposed to sing the whole song but she was cut out entirely and the verses given to her sister Vicki Peterson, Michael Steele and Susanna Hoffs. It was the ONLY song they sang to a pre-recorded track. Debbi was so outraged, as was Michael who had experienced similar bad treatment in her last band. The women had a council and they decided to forge their career on their own - without someone else calling the shots. Now with Michael retired, although they still perform the song because fans love it so much, Debbi now sings Michael's verse.

The Go-Go's and The Bangles are perfection all the way for me, I also do not like the way The Runaways and their cretin of a manager treated Michael Steele as I said before. That's another contributing factor why I choose to NOT hold them in such very high regard.

The only reason I have Born To Be Bad in my collection is because of Michael's contribution, her music with Susanna and the Petersons far outshines that, but I am a collector and completist with my favourite artists.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone interested in the 3 X 4 album featuring The Bangles, Rain Parade, The Three O'Clock and Dream Syndicate, here is a press release for the project and one of the Three O'Clock's songs Jet Fighter, performed brilliantly by Debbi Peterson.

Having talked about my love of Michael Steele and Vicki & Debbi Peterson, I have to (of course) state how wonderful lovely and talented Susanna Hoffs is, I also love her solo albums and the Under The Covers albums with her and Matthew Sweet.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Susanna Hoffs recently participated in a Musicians For Democrats Zoom chat, I only missed it because I didn't know about it until it was too late. Oh well, maybe next time!

- - - Updated - - -

The Bangles Line-Up:

Susanna Hoffs (Rhythm Guitar)
    Vicki Peterson (Lead Guitar)
    Debbi Peterson (Drums)
    Annette Zilinskas & Michael Steele (Bass)

For the record, here are the discographies for The Bangles, together and separately.

The Bangles:

All Over The Place (Hoffs, Petersons, Steele - bass only)

Different Light (Hoffs, Petersons, Steele)
    Everything (Hoffs, Petersons, Steele)
    Doll Revolution (Hoffs, Petersons, Steele)

Sweetheart Of The Sun (Hoffs, Petersons)

Ladies And Gentlemen: The Bangles (Hoffs, Petersons, Zilinskas)

3 X 4 (*Hoffs, Petersons - With The Three O'Clock, Dream Syndicate & Rain Parade)

Susanna Hoffs:

When You're A Boy
    Susanna Hoffs
    Someday

Under The Covers 1 (*With Matthew Sweet)
    Under The Covers 2 (*With Matthew Sweet)
    Under The Covers 3 (*With Matthew Sweet)

Vicki Peterson:

Continental Drifters
    Vermilion (Continental Drifters)
    Better Day (Continental Drifters)
    Listen Listen (Continental Drifters)

Please Come Down (The Lamps)

Up On The Chair Beatrice (Psycho Sisters)

Angels Hear (Action Skulls)
    A Different World (Action Skulls)

Debbi Peterson:

Kindred Spirit

Michael Steele:

Born To Be Bad (The Runaways)

*All Over The Place features only Hoffs and The Petersons singing. Steele only plays bass.

*Sweetheart Of The Sun features only Hoffs and The Petersons. No Steele at all.

*Ladies And Gentlemen: The Bangles is a previously unreleased copy of their debut EP with Annette Zilinskas (bass only - no vocals) instead of Michael Steele.
    Last edited by Mikey; October 26, 2020 at 02:03am.

Let's keep things civil, friendly, and respectful this time, gang.

MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

The Go-Go's documentary has been nominated for the Critics Choice Documentary Award! That is so totally awesome!

*HECK YES!! “The Go-Go’s” directed by Alison Ellwood has been nominated for “Best Documentary Feature,” “Best Music Documentary” and the honor of “Most Compelling Living Subjects in a Documentary” in the @CriticsChoice Awards!*

https://www.criticschoice.com/critic...entary-awards/

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the members of The Go-Go's at their individual best!

Belinda Carlisle - Do You Feel Like I Feel:

Jane Wiedlin - Rush Hour:

The Graces (Charlotte Caffey, Meredith Brooks & Gia Ciambotti) - Lay Down Your Arms:

The Blue Bonnets (Kathy Valentine & Dominique Davalos) - Losing My Man:

House Of Schock (Gina Schock & Vance DeGeneres) - Middle Of Nowhere:

Did you buy Mason's new album, Mikey?
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Did you buy Mason's new album, Mikey?
    Yes, I bought it last week, I just have to wait for it to arrive in the mail now. I am hooked on the vibraphone, it's a beautiful instrument that complements Luba's voice beautifully.

Message from Suzy Bogguss regarding a new album!

*I've been feeling really creative lately. Been busy finishing songs and recording. I've even had a couple of musician friends in the studio. Since I've now decided to do a new album, I’ll be writing to finish the collection. Those of you in Suzy's Inner Circle have been privy to the process and I've loved reading your comments on the the videos and posts. I appreciate the enthusiasm and encouragement! Click here to join the fun!*

Also, Suzy is offering online music lessons in guitar and voice!

*Here's some news... Some of you may know that I have been teaching a seminar in performance for the last two years. In the past it’s been a workshop in person. I have been thinking of how I can offer something similar online in a ZOOM setting and as of now I am offering one-on-one guitar or vocal sessions at Topeka.live. Also available there are personal “serenades” and six song “mini-concerts” that allow you to choose your favorite songs. If you have a special friend or loved one that you want to surprise or send a special song to, here's a great opportunity! These will also be delivered on Zoom and you can get the details here!*
    Last edited by Mikey; October 28, 2020 at 01:12pm.

I always loved Luba's version of Moondance.

Last edited by Uki; October 30, 2020 at 04:23pm.

Friends Of Amy Grant Fan Club

The lovely and talented Amy Grant appears to have her own version of Suzy Bogguss Inner Circle, which is only $5 US a month, it will be another totally awesome way to keep in touch with Amy and my fellow fans. I'm definitely signing up!

http://https://amygrant.com/

- - - Updated - - -

The new single The Christmas Waltz by Amy Grant & Marc Martel will be available in 10 hours on YouTube and Spotify tomorrow morning!

https://presave.to/pMARCMADB4

MOD NOTE: The back and forth bickering between the same people will stop here or be met with moderation. Everyone knows about the Ignore feature; if someone bothers you enough to bring such consistent mod-intervention, please USE IT. Further instances of the same problems will not be tolerated. Everyone is entitled to sharing their opinions here; an opposing view is not an attack. Kindly and respectfully disagree if you feel the need, but do not drag the forums into petty squabbling. Thank you all!
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Heroic Warrior
    is it funny, to us in the uk the bangles came and went as 3 hit wonders (manic mondays, eternal flames and walk like the egyptian)and belinda Carlisle was a one hit wonder (heaven is a place on earth) in the 80s and no one here would think they went after that. it weird to think that to most of us in blighty they a fleeting moment yet in the other parts of the world they went on to be quite successful.

The Go-Go's and The Bangles and their individual members have many more wonderful songs than those mentioned, and they have had very long and successul careers, being true trailblazers in the women in rock movement. I love all the songs from the two bands and all their individual members and their other projects.

I don't care about what's "popular" or a hit on a chart or the radio, I care about music that touches my soul.

Heroic Warrior
    i certainly don't care about hits and charts and popularity - i'm a cher fan, i understand

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    MOD NOTE: The back and forth bickering between the same people will stop here or be met with moderation. Everyone knows about the Ignore feature; if someone bothers you enough to bring such consistent mod-intervention, please USE IT. Further instances of the same problems will not be tolerated. Everyone is entitled to sharing their opinions here; an opposing view is not an attack. Kindly and respectfully disagree if you feel the need, but do not drag the forums into petty squabbling. Thank you all!
    Iíve just started reading this thread and I couldnít see any dubious posts. Iím assuming these posts have been deleted?

Mickey a few years back I saw Belinda Carlisle, the B52ís and Olivia Newton-John to name a few in the one concert perform in New Zealand at the Mission Estate in Hawkes Bay. I was dragged along but I will admit I was impressed by their live acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    I’ve just started reading this thread and I couldn’t see any dubious posts. I’m assuming these posts have been deleted?

Mickey a few years back I saw Belinda Carlisle, the B52’s and Olivia Newton-John to name a few in the one concert perform in New Zealand at the Mission Estate in Hawkes Bay. I was dragged along but I will admit I was impressed by their live acts.
    I have a Christmas compilation album called Mother And Child: A Christmas Celebration Of Motherhood, which features a song called Christmas Lullaby by Belinda Carlisle & Charlotte Caffey, as well as A Christmas Son by Debbi Peterson & Siobhan Maher-Kennedy and Christmas Never Felt Like This by Olivia Newton-John.

GO-GO's & BELINDA CARLISLE Video Archives & Documentaries DVD'S

I just saw this item on E-Bay and I absolutely MUST have it. It has a lot of video footage of material even I don't yet have! Given that I am a major fan of both The Go-Go's and The Bangles, that is saying a lot. I won't list everything the DVD has (and I don't even care if it is official or a transfer-to-DVD collection of recorded material), but one item on the list definitely has my attention!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GO-GOs-and-...s/203187436882

*Special: IRS Presents “BELINDA” 1986: Documentary & Live performances with Charlotte Caffey and Belinda Carlisle as she becomes a solo artist for the first time. In-depth interviews with both Belinda and Charlotte. Included are behind the scenes during rehearsal for the tour (many Go-Go’s and solo songs are featured) and for Mad About You Music Video, tour footage and many live songs from The Roxy in Los Angeles, CA including We Got The Beat, Mad About You, I Feel The Magic and others. Also special appearance by Charlotte Caffey & Andy Taylor of Duran Duran as they join Belinda LIVE to perform Mad About You. PLEASE NOTE: To the best of my knowledge this “Special” aired only one time in 1986 which makes it very RARE. It should have been released on home video but for some reason never was so here’s your only chance to get Belinda in this rare moment in her career.*

I love all The Go-Go's, but I have always had a special fondness for singer/songwriter/lead guitarist/keyboard player Charlotte Caffey, made even more so since I actually got to speak with her online recently where we talked about her iconic green and white Jazzmaster guitar (her favourite and mine) and the fact that she MUST release a solo album one day, although she did release an album titled Perfect View with Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti as a trio called The Graces.

I must be honest here, I was feeling extremely depressed and felt like less of a human being because of my year and a half of medical hell, I had lost all hope and was fearing more surgeries, but Charlotte Caffey saved my life in a way, the opportunity to speak to my idol snapped me back and made me feel like the optimistic person I was before all this.

I also found another Go-Go's DVD collection including rare Jane Wiedlin and Gina Schock videos!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GO-GOs-and-...0AAOSwMmVftnWX
    Last edited by Mikey; November 27, 2020 at 10:19am.

Amy Grant's "Old Fashioned Christmas" DVD - Very Rare

With Christmas just a month away, it's time to break out the holiday CD's and DVD's and add more treasures to your collection. Here is a Christmas DVD titled Amy Grant's Old Fashioned Christmas (from 1986), which also features Art Garfunkel. Amy performs Christmas classics along with a few songs from her celebrated album Unguarded. Most of my Christmas CD's are Amy's.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264878377955?ul_noapp=true

Find A Way
    Emmanuel
    Sleigh Ride
    Tennessee Christmas
    The Christmas Hymn
    Words From An Old Spanish Carol
    Carol Of the Birds
    Away In A Manger
    Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
    Love Of Another Kind

Back on the topic of Amy Grant and Christmas, here are two lovely duets with the lady and Marc Martel, as well as Michael W. Smith.

I just couldn't believe that The Go-Go's chat (which I only knew about the night before) would give me the chance to chat with one of my musical idols, Charlotte Caffey, one of the greatest singer/songwriter/guitarist/keyboard players who ever lived in my opinion. Despite the full online crowd, she actually responded to two of my comments, how much I love her iconic green and white Jazzmaster guitar (also her favourite) and the possibility of her actually releasing a solo album one day, just as Belinda Carlisle, Jane Wiedlin and Kathy Valentine have done. I would also love another album by Gina Schock who once recorded an album with Ellen DeGeneres' brother Vance DeGeneres called House Of Schock.

As I said before, Charlotte Caffey did release the perfect album Perfect View as a trio called The Graces, with Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti.

Charlotte's demo of Fading Fast:

The Graces performing Lay Down Your Arms:

A funny song called So Jill (about Jill Sobule) by Charlotte Caffey, Lloyd Cole & Jane Wiedlin:

I just had another wonderful chat with lovely Suzy Bogguss and in two weeks, Gretchen Peters has a special Christmas show on Zoom.

https://isisasheville.com/event/gret...urce=instagram

Also Gina Schock from The Go-Go's is participating in a tribute to John Lennon on Zoom this week.

https://www.instagram.com/ginaschockofficial/

- - - Updated - - -

Kathy Valentine from The Go-Go's has a special holiday package for fans which features her memoirs All I Ever Wanted and an accompanying soundtrack album, her 2005 solo album Light Years, some guitar picks, some postcards and a Christmas card also featuring Belinda Carlisle, Charlotte Caffey, Jane Wiedlin & Gina Schock.

http://https://antonesrecordshop.com/collections/featured/products/kathy-valentine-premium-holiday-bundle

- - - Updated - - -

Gina Schock has announced she has completed her photographic history of The Go-Go's book and is aiming for a 2021 release!

Widget
    My favourite female singer/performer, the amazing Jun Towgawa:

With activity by The Go-Go's, including a new critically acclaimed and award winning documentary, Belinda Carlisle and Kathy Valentine having released their memoirs and Gina Schock's upcoming photo book, I would love Charlotte Caffey and Jane Wiedlin to release a book each, and along with BC's, JW's and KV's own albums, I would love new music by CC and GS. With the success of the new single Club Zero, perhaps a new album by the band could be on the way.

I would also love The Bangles (Susanna Hoffs, sisters Vicki & Debbi Peterson and Michael Steele) to release memoirs and other books as well as albums together and separately.