Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Female musical Artists (Catch-All) Thread

just found a new band punky feel to their songs

cover of fox on the run by sweet

their own song Hey Now

Surprised the lead singer and rhythm guitarist is all of 20 now, so 15-18 in those videos.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I love The Go-Go's performing Head Over Heels (Belinda Carlisle - lead vocals, Charlotte Caffey - keyboard, Jane Wiedlin - guitar, Kathy Valentine - bass and Gina Schock - drums).

I also love The Bangles performing In Your Room (Susanna Hoffs - lead vocals & rhythm guitar, Vicki Peterson - lead guitar, Debbi Peterson - drums and Michael Steele - bass).

"Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

What do you think of Sharon del Adel of Within Temptations?

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Here's another new release from lovely and talented Petra Haden, although it only appears to be a downloadable album as opposed to a physical CD (which I generally prefer).

Songs From My Father (Petra Haden & The Nick Haywood Quintet)

https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Father-...s=music&sr=1-1

1. There In A Dream
    2. Canto Del Pilón
    3. Throughout
    4. The Moon's A Harsh Mistress
    5. This Is Not America
    6. La Pasionaria
    7. Fields Of Athenry
    8. Shenandoah
    9. Silence
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Tomorrow morning there will be a live chat and concert on YouTube with lovely and talented Beth Nielsen Chapman, so I am looking forward to the first of hopefully many chats with Beth.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    just found a new band punky feel to their songs

cover of fox on the run by sweet

their own song Hey Now

Surprised the lead singer and rhythm guitarist is all of 20 now, so 15-18 in those videos.

That makes me think a bit of the Runaways, another teenage band.

Joan Jett screamin' it up:

Lita Ford rippin' that guitar:

Last edited by Etherius Eterno; January 7, 2021 at 10:28pm.

Michael Steele was a brief member of The Runaways before she left them and became a member of The Bangles. I read a lot about how the former band treated Michael in a not very kind fashion (along with their manager). Michael's talents and creativity were given more room to flourish under the stronger bonds formed in The Bangles before Michael retired from the music business a decade or so ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy Birthday to lovely and talented Vicki Peterson & Siobhan Maher-Kennedy for January 11. Vicki's sister Debbi Peterson (both members of The Bangles) teamed with Siobhan for the duo act Kindred Spirit.

Also Happy Birthday to lovely and talented Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles for January 17.

Heroic Warrior
    Oops Mikey I didn't realize you disliked the Runaways so much, I might have hesitated to post about them if I had realized that before. I feel like I dirtied your thread Although I do enjoy them (though mainly I'm a Joan Jett fan), I realize there are definitely issues and controversies, particularly around their a-hole manager Kim Fowley.

I'm also a Go-Go's fan and love Belinda a great deal. Not as familiar with Bette Midler. Will have to give her more of a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherius Eterno View Post
    Oops Mikey I didn't realize you disliked the Runaways so much, I might have hesitated to post about them if I had realized that before. I feel like I dirtied your thread Although I do enjoy them (though mainly I'm a Joan Jett fan), I realize there are definitely issues and controversies, particularly around their a-hole manager Kim Fowley.

I'm also a Go-Go's fan and love Belinda a great deal. Not as familiar with Bette Midler. Will have to give her more of a listen.
    You do not need to apologise, my friend, and feel free to post about anyone or anything as long as you are kind and respectful (which you have been). It's not that I hate The Runaways themselves, I just do not like what happened to Michael Steele, which was really more the fault of the band's manager. As you said, he was an A-hole. The Go-Go's had a female manager and bypassed all that negativity and now they manage themselves as do The Bangles now (although they had a terrible male manager - who especially treated Debbi Peterson shamefully - in their early days before they kicked him to the kerb!)

I love how The Go-Go's and The Bangles have worked together many times and even filled in for each other whenever a particular band member was unavailable to tour. I love Belinda Carlisle, but my actual favourite Go-Go is Charlotte Caffey (lead guitar and keyboards). Bass player Abby Travis has worked with both bands whenever Kathy Valentine or Michael Steele were unavailable.

I adore Bette Midler as a singer and actress!

Happy Birthday to lovely and talented Matraca Berg (February 3), one of my favourite singer/songwriters and country artists!

I would imagine most here are familiar with the Bananarama cover of the song(which I personally can't stand) but the original Shocking Blue version of "Venus" is amazing

Mariska Veres sang a live performance shortly before her death that's even better

Been getting into La Roux lately

Skunk Anansie is far too overlooked. Their first 3 albums were full of sociopolitical messages and lyrics that weren't radio friendly- in fact this is probably the only "safe" song on the first 3 albums and the only one to get any major showing

They took a lengthy break with Skin doing solo & side project stuff, the band being "officially" disbanded from 2001-2009. Then their 4th album was... watered down pop. The fans didn't much care for this new, cleaner take that lacked the foul-mouthed political anger the band had gone for prior and it also failed to catch on with the mainstream music media despite being more "airplay friendly". Their 5th album was a return to form, at least. I need to look up their 6th album, which I've not yet listened to.

and obligatory, just because-

The furry fandom is filled with very horrible people into very terrible things. It's far worse than you've heard...
    https://tinyurl.com/7u2hkph5

Ask toy customizer Jin Saotome about the time he spent with Sinno! He likes them young.

I found a collection of new singles by Susanna Hoffs & Petra Haden. Apparently they are from the soundtrack of a movie called Bombshell with Margot Robbie, Nicole Kidman & Charlize Theron. I haven't seen this movie but I love Susanna and Petra, and both Margot and Nicole are DC Comics movie alumni. I would buy this album if it were a physical release rather than digital.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=susanna+h...45&ref=sr_pg_2

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations to The Go-Go's (Belinda Carlisle, Charlotte Caffey, Jane Wiedlin, Kathy Valentine & Gina Schock) who have been nominated for The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame! I am so excited and delighted this has finally happened! We Got The Beat!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...898_story.html

Next we need to get The Bangles (Susanna Hoffs, Vicki & Debbi Peterson & Michael Steele) nominated!

Bette Midler Retirement Plans

My beloved Divine Miss M, Bette Midler who I have loved and idolised for as long as I can remember may be planning retirement, at least in regards to active touring. I am heartbroken as I had just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia when she last came to my corner of the globe and I hadn't yet learned to cope with the physical travesties of the illness. I missed seeing her performing live and it is one of my deepest regrets.

*“My time on the stage is basically up. I’m 75. I don’t have the impulse to prove myself anymore,” she said. “I feel like 'I did that.’ And I’ve done a lot. I’ve earned my rest. Am I going to make an announcement? No. I’m just going to fade away.”

She later touched on her legacy, adding, “I did the best I could to give people joy.”

“And I had a lot of fun myself,” she continued. “I overcame my circumstances, and I would like to help other people overcome theirs. I have high hopes for humanity.”*

I understand she is now 75 and has had a great life and career, and given so much happiness to the world. I wish her all the best of course, but I would still have loved to have seen her perform live at least once in my life. I do have all her CD's, movies and concert DVD's to cherish though.

https://www.today.com/popculture/bet...egrets-t209557

In the article, Bette regrets recording two songs on her Thighs And Whispers album, Married Men and My Knight In Black Leather, but I've always loved those songs. There was even a time when Bette wasn't sure whether she wanted to record Wind Beneath My Wings, but she is glad she reconsidered as it is one of her many musical highlights.

I always loved this story of Bette's wedding to her husband Martin Von Haselberg, initially Bette refused to go though with the ceremony because Martin wore a suit that made him look like a used car salesman so she made him change clothes before the wedding, they were married by an Elvis impersonator, and it took the happy couple 35 years to receive the wedding photos which had been thought to be lost when the chapel shut down! Talk about "snail mail!"
    Last edited by Mikey; February 20, 2021 at 10:17pm.

At 75 Midler is set to retire from showbusiness.
    When did she meet you, Mikey?
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    At 75 Midler is set to retire from showbusiness.
    When did she meet you, Mikey?
    We've never actually met in person, but I do know Bette via mail and social media since I've helped support her New York Restoration Project several times.

Belinda Carlisle Touring Australia February 2022!

I know I already have a female musicians thread, but this is too special, exciting and important to not post a fresh thread. Lovely and talented Belinda Carlisle will be touring Australia in February 2022! Belinda's concert in my home city of Adelaide will be on Wednesday February 9 7:00 PM, two days before my birthday! The venue will be Her Majesty's Theatre.

https://abstract.net.au/belinda-carl...-decades-tour/

*Grammy Award-nominated singer, BELINDA CARLISLE returns to Australia in February 2022 with her “DECADES” tour, marking the celebration of 35 years of her solo career. As part of The Go-Gos, BELINDA CARLISLE sold more than seven million albums with such hits as ‘Our Lips Are Sealed’, ‘We Got The Beat’, ‘Vacation’, ‘Head Over Heels’. ‘Can’t Stop The World’ and many others. Belinda’s successful solo career spawned massive hits such as ‘Mad About You’, ‘I Get Weak’, ‘Leave A Light On’ ‘’Too Deep’ Summer Rain’ and ‘Heaven Is A Place On Earth’ Her ‘Heaven On Earth’ album also hit number one on both U.S and U.K charts. Proudly presented by Abstract Touring, the ‘BELINDA CARLISLE: DECADES’ tour hits Australia in 2022.*

Tuesday 8 February 2022 - Astor Theatre WA

Wednesday 9 February 2022 - Her Majesty's Theatre SA

Friday 11 February 2022 - Palais Theatre VIC

Tuesday 15 February 2022 - Ulumbarra Theatre VIC

Wednesday 16 February 2022 - Canberra SC Club ACT

Friday 18 February 2022 - Sydney Coliseum NSW

Saturday 19 February 2022 - Enmore Theatre NSW

Tuesday 22 February 2022 - Anita's Theatre NSW

Wednesday 23 February 2022 - Civic Theatre Newcastle NSW

Friday 25 February 2022 - Twin Towns NSW

Saturday 26 February 2022 - The Tivoli QLD

This year marks the 30TH Anniversary of lovely and talented Amy Grant's megahit album Heart In Motion which made me a huge fan, and now of course I have ALL her albums and music DVD's, her book Mosaic...Pieces Of My Life So Far, and her movie A Song From The Heart in which she plays a blind music teacher and cello player.

Apparently lovely and talented Beth Nielsen Chapman has finished a new album, it will be very exciting when more news is posted along with an album cover photo or a release date.

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely and talented Belinda Carlisle is revisiting her classic discography to reissue three albums from the ’80s and ’90s. She has delved into the archives to compile new box set editions of her albums Belinda, Live Your Life Be Free and A Woman And A Man, on vinyl. Via Demon Records, the releases come in standard black formats, along with limited coloured editions – pink, green and purple, respectively – available exclusively from Amazon.

Belinda – the only 2LP release of the three – contains the hit singles Mad About You and I Feel The Magic along with five bonus tracks. The gatefold package comes complete with printed inner sleeves and has a May 28 release date.

The August 27 3LP release of A Woman And A Man includes In Too Deep, Always Breaking My Heart, Love In The Key Of C and California.

Available October 8, the triple LP version of Live Your Life Be Free features the hit singles Live Your Life Be Free, Do You Feel Like I Feel, Half The World and Little Black Book.

The anniversary box sets contain the LPs in individual outer and inner sleeves, plus a 12 x 12 booklet, all in a lift-off lid box. The bonus discs include remixes, alternate takes and acoustic versions of singles and album cuts.

https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely and talented Suzy Bogguss has a new contest on her various social media platforms. You can enter to win a vinyl LP copy of her debut album Somewhere Between and a special Zoom call.

https://gleam.io/lN1ch/suzys-vinyl-giveaway

Lovely and talented Beth Nielsen Chapman has a double YouTube concert online next Saturday April 10.

Suzy Bogguss has created a section in her Inner Circle for fans to interact with each other.

Apparently Amy Grant may be back in the recording studio soon which will make it nearly a decade since she released her last album, How Mercy Looks From Here.

The Go-Go's have redesigned their website and it looks amazing!

https://www.gogos.com/

I just entered a contest on Suzy Bogguss Inner Circle to win a merchandise package, and she will soon be publicly revealing her lovely new single Sunday Birmingham (previously only available to Inner Circle members).

I also have an online show with Gretchen Peters in a couple of weeks and possibly another one with Beth Nielsen Chapman.

Amy Grant has also been quite active lately, so we shall hopefully see what she has been working on soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely and talented Belinda Carlisle will be joining spiritual wellness guru Laila Rouass in a live chat on Instagram on May 3 at 9:30 AM UK time. I just have to figure out what time that is in Adelaide time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Lovely and talented Belinda Carlisle will be joining spiritual wellness guru Laila Rouass in a live chat on Instagram on May 3 at 9:30 AM UK time. I just have to figure out what time that is in Adelaide time!
    I believe it’s 6 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    I believe it’s 6 p.m.
    Thanks Stinkor.

Also, the lovely and talented Suzy Bogguss will be releasing her new single Sunday Birmingham to the wider public on May 21, although the song has been available exclusively to Inner Circle club members for nearly a year now.

https://smarturl.it/hz591g

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely and talented Amy Grant features on a new MP3 compilation album called Faithful: Go And Speak.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Other artists on the album include:

Ellie Holcomb
    Savannah Locke
    Jess Ray
    Sandra McCracken
    Sarah Macintosh
    Leslie Jordan
    Tamar Chipp
    Sarah Kroger
    Ginny Owens
    Taylor Leonhardt
    Christy Nockels
    Rachael Lampa
    Christa Wells
    Kelly Minter
    Janice Gaines
    Trillia Newbell

- - - Updated - - -

The Belinda Carlisle chat on Monday night was awesome, she was bright and entertaining and very funny! She couldn't get around to answering everyone's questions (including mine) but it was a great session.

In other music news, Susanna Hoffs has announced new music, but she hasn't revealed yet whether this is with The Bangles, a solo album or another Under The Covers collaboration with Matthew Sweet.

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely and talented Luba Mason has another live show on June 2!

https://www.soapboxgallery.org/events/luba-mason

- - - Updated - - -

I love Suzy Bogguss new single Sunday Birmingham!

Heroic Warrior
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    I loved Lesley Gore as Pussycat (the protege of Julie Newmar's Catwoman) in Batman.