Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Female musical Artists (Catch-All) Thread

Could It Be Possible - A Bette Midler Farewell Tour?

I am an absolutely hardcore fan of lovely and talented Bette Midler (as an actress but more so her music) and although the 75 year old Divine Miss M has said she is pretty much retiring, she has also not ruled out a possible Farewell Tour. In 2005, Bette toured Australia but I had just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and was in a pretty bad way, so I was unable to see her perform live, something I have truly regretted ever since. I would give my heart and soul to see Bette live at least once in both of our lives.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/07/...farewell-tour/

*The exchange began when a fan named Mask Up! asked Midler on Twitter to consider launching a tour so her fans could see her in person one more time.

“There is nothing like seeing you in concert, Miss M,” Mask Up! wrote. “Everything about your act is beautiful; the songs, the dialogue, the sets, you. Please give us one final chance to say farewell before you ride off into the sunset of retirement.”

Midler’s reply: “I must take this under advisement.”

Her answer got thousands of likes and triggered a flood of comments from fans on social media.

“Could this be a hint of a possible upcoming tour???” asked the moderator of the Bette Midler: Still Divine page on Facebook.

Fans from around the world weighed in, saying they wish she’d go on the road: “Come back to Australia,” one pleaded. “We love you.” “Come to London.” Come to KC.” “I wish the Divine Miss M would grace Denmark again.” “One last world tour please!”*

Previously she had stated:

“My time on the stage is basically up. I’m 75. I don’t have the impulse to prove myself anymore. I feel like ‘I did that.’ And I’ve done a lot. I’ve earned my rest. Am I going to make an announcement? No, I’m just going to fade away.”

She added that she has no regrets. “I did the best I could to give people joy,” she said. “And I had a lot of fun myself.”*

However, Bette is still appearing in films such as Hocus Pocus 2 with Kathy Najimy & Sarah Jessica Parker, Family Jewels with Goldie Hawn & Diane Keaton (her co-stars from First Wives Club) and Addams Family 2 (as the voice of Grandmama in the new animated movie franchise).
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Catch-All Amy Grant News & Music Thread

Lovely and talented Amy Grant has been in the press a lot lately from her inspirational and heartwarming recovery from heart surgery last year to her 30TH Anniversary of her iconic Heart In Motion album. Amy has more news including an induction accolade from the Nashville Songwriters Hall Of Fame, her stating her love of her LGBTQ fans and a possible tour.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...me-1235019202/

*Gospel-pop crossover superstar Amy Grant and country music stalwart Toby Keith are among the class of 2021 newly named for the Nashville Songwriters Hall Of Fame, with a ceremony to be held this fall.

Also set to be inducted in the November 1 festivities at Music City Center are hit country songwriters Rhett Akins, John Scott Sherrill and Buddy Cannon, the last of whom is also one of Music Row’s most successful producers.*

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...BingNewsSearch

*Grant will spotlight “Heart In Motion” at her live shows, but also said the tour is a way “to celebrate that I’m alive and 60 [after her heart surgery].”*
    Last edited by Mikey; July 20, 2021 at 11:44pm.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I’ve always felt that Bette Midler was a cheap imitation of the far superior Sophie Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    I’ve always felt that Bette Midler was a cheap imitation of the far superior Sophie Tucker.
    I've always LOVED Bette Midler, her movies, songs and comedy routines, especially her Sophie Tucker impersonations. I know all the jokes by heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I've always LOVED Bette Midler, her movies, songs and comedy routines, especially her Sophie Tucker impersonations. I know all the jokes by heart.
    In my opinion, this is a case where the original is far better than the imitation.

In my opinion, this is a case where the original is far better than the imitation.
    Well for me, Bette is the Best and will always remain Divine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Well for me, Bette is the Best and will always remain Divine.
    I disagree, but I respect your opinion. It’s nice to be able to disagree amicably.

I disagree, but I respect your opinion. It’s nice to be able to disagree amicably.
    I just LOVE Bette's albums and music/concert DVD's (I have them all) and I would love to see her live one day...hopefully soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Beloved Bette Midler is one of five artists being inducted into the Kennedy Centre Honours awards for their lifetime achievements in the creative arts, along with Joni Mitchell, Lorne Michaels, Berry Gordy and Justino Díaz.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...BingNewsSearch

*Bette Midler, Joni Mitchell, Lorne Michaels, Berry Gordy and Justino Díaz are the latest crop of honorees at the Kennedy Center Honors, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced Wednesday.

The Kennedy Center Honors will honor the five individuals as part of its 44th edition, which will be the second event this year after the previous crop of honorees was recognized in a hybrid live and virtual tribute in May. The 44th Kennedy Center Honors will take place in a gala event at the Kennedy Center Opera House on Dec. 5.

The ceremony will be broadcast in a two-hour prime-time special on CBS at a date to still be determined. The event will also be available to stream on Paramount+.

Midler is a two-time Oscar nominee, and her career as a beloved entertainer, actress and singer has spread across six decades.*

Along with The Go-Go's (Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame) and Amy Grant (Nashville Songwriters Hall Of Fame), it's inspirational to see so many of my favourite musicians being honoured in various awards this year and I hope to see all the ceremonies on TV or online.

I am currently right in the middle of an online live concert with Amy Grant (I'm typing this during the intermission which has around five minutes to go as we speak) and she is absolutely magical live, I would love to go and see her perform live in an actual in-person concert one day! She just played her entire Heart In Motion album and is about to return and perform other songs in her repertoire, so that's a special treat.

The cost of the show ($32 AU) goes toward her charity Compassion Live.

https://www.compassionlive.com/

*Compassion partners with more than 8,000 local churches in 25 program countries to deliver spiritual, economic, social, and physical care to over two million babies, children, and young adults in poverty.*

In a recent Instagram interview, lovely and talented Susanna Hoffs announced that she may be releasing TWO albums, including one she recorded back in 1999 but never released!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome news, lovely and talented Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles has a new album coming out on November 12 called Bright Lights, which is an album of cover songs (much like the collection of cover albums she recorded with Matthew Sweet called Under The Covers).

Here is the track list, including the amazing song I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, which I've also heard sung beautifully by Susan Cowsill and Siobhan Maher:

1. “Time Will Show The Wiser” – The Merry-Go-Round
    2. “One Of These Things First” – Nick Drake
    3. “You And Your Sister” – Chris Bell
    4. “Name Of The Game” (*Featuring Aimee Mann) – Badfinger
    5. “I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight” – Richard & Linda Thompson
    6. “You Just May Be The Other” – The Monkees
    7. “Him Or Me – What’s It Gonna Be?” – Paul Revere & The Raiders
    8. “Femme Fatale” – The Velvet Underground
    9. “Take Me With U” – Prince
    10. “No Good Trying” – Syd Barrett

Here is one of the songs - Name Of The Game...

- - - Updated - - -

Happy Birthday (October 21) to lovely and talented Charlotte Caffey, lead guitarist and keyboard player for The Go-Go's and The Graces as well as a singer/songwriter in her own right.

- - - Updated - - -

Martina McBride has worked with her father and brother, Daryl & Marty Schiff on a new project which showcases Daryl as a country singer covering many great country hits, with Martina and Marty working as producers and musicians on the album!

*Martina produced a CD for her father, Daryl Schiff and the result is a timeless CD filled with classic country music. Martina and her brother Marty contribute all of the harmonies as well as solo songs and a duet on Making Believe. Backed by an A-list band and recorded at the famed Blackbird Studio in Nashville, TN. Daryl covers classics by Merle Haggard, Gene Watson, Hank Williams, Ray Price and others as well as 4 original songs written by Daryl. A must for the traditional country music fan in your life.*

This is a limited edition project ($16 US plus shipping) and the first 300 CD's ordered will be autographed at no extra charge.

https://store.martinamcbride.com/col...s-satisfied-cd

Today I enjoyed a live chat with Gretchen Peters and Beth Nielsen Chapman as they prepare for a 2022 concert cruise down the Danube River that flows through multiple European countries, I won't be able to go obviously but it was great to hear all the travel plans. Also each lady sang one of her iconic songs, Gretchen's The Matador and Beth's This Kiss to give people a sample of what's to come.

Susanna Hoffs new Bright Lights album is now available to purchase and is available on YouTube, naturally I chose BOTH options, as I LOVE my musicians and especially The Go-Go's and The Bangles. When it is available as a physical CD purchase I shall buy that too!

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Lights...p%2C724&sr=8-1

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+bright+lights

The lovely and talented Divine Miss M, Bette Midler is soon to be honoured in the Kennedy Center Honours awards!

The 44th Annual Kennedy Center Honors will be telecast December 22 on CBS @ 9 PM ET and recognises artists whose lifetime achievements have made a lasting mark on American culture.

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/t...er-honors.html

*Bette Midler: The funniest great singer in America...

Singer-actress Bette Midler has sold 30 million records and earned four Grammys, three Emmys, two Oscar nominations and two Tony's, but the Kennedy Center award may top them all. “I am stunned and grateful beyond words,” she said. “For many years I have watched this broadcast celebrating the best talent in the performing arts that America has to offer, and I truly never imagined that I would find myself among these swans.”