Thread: Is the Evil Horde really evil ?

Is the Evil Horde really evil ?

The Horde is made of diverse genders , races and species all treated equally and working in harmony . Everyone is clothed and fed and sheltered . Scorpia,s bright personality shows no sign that she was ever abused even though she was a princess with a rune stone . Adora a helpless baby was adopted and taken care of . Imp is clearly a failed clone experiment but not disposed of or dissected , taken care of . Entrapta,s friends do treat her differently . Hordak never did that to Entrapta . Hordak just wanted to go back home like E.T.

Compare this to Brightmoon . The genders are not equal , the boys are second class citizens . There are only humans . Etheria is full of diverse trans species and Anthro morphs which we see every time the gang visits any location except for Brightmoon . Some good guy villages are also the same . Only one type of species inhabit that village . When you find diversity its the Frightzone or lawless towns in the desert .

Etheria itself is world terraformed into a weapon of mass destruction............. activated by teenagers . What kind of sick twisted mind would dream that up ? Not the Evil Horde but the ancients did this .

Freedom fighter or terrorist is a relative term depending on whom you ask ?
    Last edited by Lokus; July 30, 2020 at 08:53am.

Looked at from the point of view of the Etherian Horde, a case could be made that they're not as bad as they're made out to be (active conquest of other people's lands notwithstanding). But I think it had less to do with them being accepting as it was Hordak simply not caring. It's like Dr. Doom's stance of race relations. Why bother picking a "supreme species" when everyone is just an equally inferior tool to him. As you said, Hordak wanted to go home, and conquering a portion of the planet so he could have turn its resources towards that goal. The kindness he showed to Imp and Adora seems more a case of seeing himself in them and empathizing. He knows what it's like to be considered a failed clone, and Imp was still useful. He couldn't justify his own existence if he just disposed of Imp as quickly as Prime did him. From his point of view, baby Adora was just dumped through a portal, discarded for some unknown reason. Again leaving her there, or rather tossing her own when she didn't have any secrets he could use, would have hit too close to home for him.

But we do see the nastier parts of the Horde. Hordak still holds his brother's "strength" in high regard and tries to emulate it, trying to discard Catra and Shadow Weaver when they failed, actively campaigning when Catra finally got him off his throne. The Horde is perfectly willing to engage in a campaign of terror and wanton destruction when they're on the move, and most of their conquered territories start getting "face lifts" to look like every place else the Horde controls.

Now the Galactic Horde, no, they were straight up evil.

I had actually rather hoped that would be one of the twists the series revealed after we discovered Etheria was riddled with First Ones tech; that the sapient creatures originally inhabiting the planet had fought a failed war to keep their world, and now whatever was left of them was either in hiding or had gone over to the Horde. The enemy of my enemy and all that. Would have been interesting to see the heroes have to actually convince the likes or Loo-Kee or Kowl as descendants of Etheria's original owners that the Princess Alliance wasn't evil and that letting to Horde run roughshod over the planet would simply cause more problems.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; July 30, 2020 at 02:10pm.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I'd argue the evil thing about the Horde is that none of them had lives outside of serving Hordak and his conquest, everyone had one choice in life and that was to be soldier to serve in the conquest of Etheria.

The show seems to leave it fairly ambiguous as to how racist the people of Etheria are. We now that atleast the mains cast arn't, but there is a light implication that there is a nugget of truth to the Horde's propaganda on the subject.

I don't think boys were ever treated as second class citizen in general and there is evidence to suggest that the rulers aren't exclusively female (Micah and Scorpia's dad come to mind), just that all the ones who happen to be in charge at the time are girls. Which is arguably a pretty big plot contrivance.

"activated by teenagers . What kind of sick twisted mind would dream that up ?"

Just about every higher power, in every magical series ever lol.

I'd argue the evil thing about the Horde is that none of them had lives outside of serving Hordak and his conquest, everyone had one choice in life and that was to be soldier to serve in the conquest of Etheria.
    I would like to know where these soldiers came from . Scorpia joined willingly , Adora was brought up , Entrapta just stayed in the frightzone . It kinda seems these are unwanted people given a purpose in life . Yes they are working for their 3 hots and a cot . Who has a better life ? A street bum or a soldier ? Once again i would point out these are not unhappy horde people .

The kindness he showed to Imp and Adora seems more a case of seeing himself in them and empathizing. He knows what it's like to be considered a failed clone, and Imp was still useful. He couldn't justify his own existence if he just disposed of Imp as quickly as Prime did him. From his point of view, baby Adora was just dumped through a portal, discarded for some unknown reason. Again leaving her there, or rather tossing her own when she didn't have any secrets he could use, would have hit too close to home for him.
    Thats the text book definition of serving the forces of good . Showing kindness because you can relate and empathize to the suffering of weaker beings .

War is nasty business , there is no unifying Etheria without getting your hands dirty . One thing i noted of this toon is , Hordak never rounded up any slaves like in the 80,s cartoon .

Cat Ra and Weaver are backstabbers who deserved everything Hordak tossed their way .
    Last edited by Lokus; July 31, 2020 at 06:01am.

TBH I find it quite disturbing, that you are trying to insist that the Horde was in the right for trying to conquer the whole planet and throw around terms like "uniting Etheria" to justify it.

Heroic Warrior
    Agreed.

(insert filler content here)

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    TBH I find it quite disturbing, that you are trying to insist that the Horde was in the right for trying to conquer the whole planet and throw around terms like "uniting Etheria" to justify it.

I am disturbed that the evil horde has more gender equality and species diversity than the princess alliance .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Thats the text book definition of serving the forces of good . Showing kindness because you can relate and empathize to the suffering of weaker beings .

War is nasty business , there is no unifying Etheria without getting your hands dirty . One thing i noted of this toon is , Hordak never rounded up any slaves like in the 80,s cartoon .

Cat Ra and Weaver are backstabbers who deserved everything Hordak tossed their way .
    There's nothing that says you can't be a bad guy AND have some more noble qualities. This is where we get the tropes of Noble Demon, Villainous Virtue, and Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas after all. Hordak refusing to be an absolute monster to some just because they struck a cord with him doesn't mean he wasn't an abusive commander, a nasty conqueror, and a villain (albeit reformed at the end).

We never saw slaves getting rounded up, but who was it mining the raw materials needed to keep Horde war machine running. I think Noelle might have accidentally written herself into a corner if the plan was to eventually redeem Hordak. She had to make him a villain, but not one the audience would actively despise enough to want dead. Made harder because honestly Hordak didn't get as much of a chance, for better or worse, to prove he was redeemable compared to, say, Catra.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I am disturbed that the evil horde has more gender equality and species diversity than the princess alliance .
    And yet as we saw with the Galactic Horde, they actually aren't very species or gender diverse. Horde Prime almost strictly used clones and robots modeled after himself. Hordak didn't have the resources to make a clone army and was stuck making due with what was on hand. If he was collecting the dregs of society to form his Horde, giving them a place and purpose, it was probably a tempting offer to have a chance to make something of themselves. Equal Opportunity Evil as it were. Given the Princesses are royalty and their families were chosen by the First Ones (who as you point out were not of the best intentions themselves) to be custodians of the gems they use, it stands to reason there'd be some homogeneity amongst them.

Granted it would have been better if a few of the Princesses had been something other than strictly human...

PS: This is actually a fun topic, I'm glad you started it.

We cannot speculate on how the resources are mined . We know for a fact the good Horde has robots . We automatically associate slave with doing tasks like mining resources . Robots are a far more logical choice for maximum productivity vs slave labour . Hordak is a smart guy that would understand this .

Yes the galactic horde is evil more so than the evil princess alliance . I am not discussing the Galactic Horde .

Let's get back to the war . You have a society of diverse beings and equality . There is a village of mysogenistic xenophobes . Is the moral high ground to do nothing or force change onto them ?
    The good horde has chosen to force a change .

Are these hateful beings just an excuse for Hordak to make a political power grab for territory ? Maybe ? Does Hordak want their stuff ? Probably ? Are villages being destroyed or repurposed ? Spoils of war is a motive . The down trodden of society want revenge .

I think Hordak is a smart guy and his choices are amoral but the consequence of his amorality benefits those serving him . Equality is logical , diversity is logical . Forcing a penniless bum to attend military academy helps the bum as much as it helps the horde society . Unisex toilets means less resources spent on more toilets .

Divisive entities with separate bathrooms are not logical or fully productive . Re educating and Assimilating haters fully into the good horde is logical . Forcing change on others does result in collateral damage . Assimilating others as fast as possible probably means severing ties to their old life , destroying their culture .

No child wants to visit a dentist but it's for their own good . Same diff ?
    Last edited by Lokus; August 1, 2020 at 03:33am.

The problem with that line of thinking, is that a fair amount of evidence in the show contradicts that.

We know that Sorpia's father was the ruler of her kingdom and Micah ruled Mystacor and flashbacks show that the place had another male ruler. While it can be tricky to make out, Angela's royal guard actualy does have quite a few male members, the no name extra's are pretty evenly split between male and female and the girls don't seem to be any higher up in society than the boys there.

So the whole guys are second class citizens argument kind of rings hollow.

All we really have to suggest that being true is the fact that most the main characters are girls.

As for weather Hordak should have been redeemed, It's a lot like Gai's redemption from Kamen Rider Zero One. I don't totally hate it but I'm still kind of iffy on it.

I'd say the Galactic Horde has some relevence to the conversation given they're Hordak's people, his culture, and, for better or worse, where he developed his own morality. That Hordak was clearly trying to mimic Horde Prime's organization was all but stated in the show, so some speculation is warranted, though impossible to definitively prove due to lack of screen time.

I'm not sure if you're making the case that the Horde is good so much as their actions had unintended good consequences for Etheria. This is not to say he had the moral high ground though. Conflict inevitably brings change, usually at an accelerated pace, for better or worse. Look at how often that sort of shake-up has shaped the real world. Europe might have spent far more centuries in the dark ages had the Crusades not occured.

And we don't really know what the socio-political climate of Etheria was before Hordak showed up. From the looks of things, whatever plan the First Ones had to use Etheria as a weapon, those living their seem to be ignorant of it. I mean they had colonists setting up lives there. While it is possible the FO were ruthless or desperate enough sacrifice members of their own species, citizens of their own empire with a doomsday weapon, it seems more likely the Heart of Etheria project came after plans to colonize and terraform the planet. But for all we know the kingdoms of Etheria were much more diverse back in the planet's heyday, before grouping together in big cities and towns made one a tempting target for attack.