Thread: MOTU Imaginext

Heroic Warrior

MOTU Imaginext

Saturday, August 8th:

1:30pm – 2:30pm Pacific Time, UTC -7
    By the Power of Preschool: Imaginext and Little People Panel
    Panelists: Matt Flesher, Thom Bower, Rob Hageman, Hannah Dahl
    Moderator: “Pixel Dan” Eardley
    Have you wished that the Masters of the Universe could be part of the Little People play experience for children in your life? What if that experience extended to the toys from Imaginext? That wish is coming true. Find out what’s in store for these powerful preschool lines!
    RAFFLE PRIZE: five random attendees will each win a Little People MOTU Collector 4-Pack!
    I know a lot of DC Imaginext collectors who are going to be over the moons of Eternia when they hear about this...

My wish for the line is that there will be a dedicated blind bag series just for MOTU to get more characters out quickly! (Relax, Imaginext blind bags are coded like the Eternia minis, as long as you don't buy two of the same code you won't get stuck with doubles and a code list will be online within no time)

I was at the New York comic con maybe 4-5 years ago and the imaginext team was there. My son was a huge imaginext collector at the time and I loved helping him hunt down the tough characters. Since it was a mattel product and they really dug deep into the Dc universe, I knew the team behind imaginext were passionate fans. Besides DC, their sub lines were also great with shark pirates and ancient snake warriors
    So I was talking to them and brought up MOTU and how it would be a great imaginext line. The mattel team gave me this look like ďyou have no ideaĒ that also was telling me that there was more too that look. They said they asked mattel many times that he-man would be a great line to do since it was a great way to get todayís kids involved in MOTU. Obviously all the adult motu collectors would buy them all and scalp them but once the kids got a hold of them it would be golden. Mattel would shut them down on the idea every time.

They did so well with DC I really thought they could knock motu out of the park also. I hope these things get made finally because mattel likes to prove a lot that they donít know how to run their top franchises
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Heroic Warrior
    Really excited by these. I think the DC ones are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    My wish for the line is that there will be a dedicated blind bag series just for MOTU to get more characters out quickly! (Relax, Imaginext blind bags are coded like the Eternia minis, as long as you don't buy two of the same code you won't get stuck with doubles and a code list will be online within no time)
    Plus, they have holes punched through the foil bags, so even if you're looking for a specific one and don't know the code, it's extremely easy to know which one you're getting. I never know the codes, but I've had zero trouble finding the ones my little niece wants. A MOTU blind bag series would be awesome! MOTU Imaginext has seemed like such a no-brainer for many years, so it's nice that Mattel themselves seem to have finally figured that out.

I lOVE that they're finally doing this, but with Hermione fully on board for Eternia Minis and Origins, I really doubt I'll be buying any of these in addition.
    Maybe as birthday gifts for nephews or neighbors...
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Took them long enough. This should have been done many many years ago, and those kids would have been ready for a new line for older kids. But its Mattel.

I have a son that is two and a half. This is going to be absolutely perfect for him. Can't wait!

Heroic Podcaster
    Guess I'm collecting Imaginext now. Cool!
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Wasnít as excited for these after the panel. Thought there would be more then what they Had for the panel. Still fun to see what is coming. I guess I wanted the smaller figures to go with some of the other sets I have for my kids.

They really dropped the ball on this. This is not what people wanted for years from this line.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    i wish they had made them "rescue hero" size instead of 10"

Chunky Skeletor by ThePowerSword, on Flickr
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Did not watch the panel, how did they drop the ball?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Also Raines View Post
    Did not watch the panel, how did they drop the ball?
    Only planning on making 10Ē He-Man, Skeletor and Beastman. Based off sales it seems if they will continue making them.

Heroic Warrior
    Regular sized figures/playsets/vehicles may be coming later, they just can't say if they are, yet.

Yeah, that sucks. I wanted to get the little ones for the grandkids.

217221A9-16FC-493D-BF99-ACFCCDDC556F by Comedian Horseman, on Flickr

I have never been more disappointed than I am now. A whole freaking world of playsets and vehicles to make and thatís what they give us.

Iím not sure Iíve ever, in my 35 years of collecting, seen more of an epic fail.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Yeah, three 10Ē figures is not setting this up for success. My little guy likes the regular imaginext Batman and batcycle toys, the playability of imaginext is perfect for kids that age. This is a miss for sure.

Chance they just announced this because they thought it would be "collector oriented" and more is already made and announced at whatever toy fair is (since that's the bigger news spread for that sort of toy)?

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    They look OK I guess, but maybe this is Mattel just testing the waters and they have more up their sleeves?
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Iím not sure Iíve ever, in my 35 years of collecting, seen more of an epic fail.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure there have been plenty of fails with much bigger stakes than this, but the sheer magnitude of this failure is pretty impressive. This is like having 50 strikes in slow pitch softball and still striking out. This is like having ten guesses on an A-D multiple choice question and never getting it right. This is like guessing the number of jelly beans in a mason jar and going with 873 quintillion.

I honestly can't think of a single existing pop culture property that fits better with the Imaginext concept than Masters of the Universe would. Motu could provide near limitless options for vehicles, castle/lair/locale playsets, large creatures, and the figures themselves; literally everything I can think of that Imaginext does, Motu could give them an outlet for. And Mattel owns both Motu and Imaginext! It is absolutely baffling to me that this hasn't happened already and even more baffling that this was the best idea they could come up. Gauging interest in Motu Imaginext with a 10" Imaginext He-Man is about as smart as gauging interest with a 3" Imaginext Castle Grayskull.

Will this be Imaginext's first big figures? I dont think Ive ever seen any.

Yeah, the no fees for Mattel for a MOTU Imaginext line is always my first thing I have to say for years. It makes perfect sense.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    Will this be Imaginext's first big figures? I dont think Ive ever seen any.

Yeah, the no fees for Mattel for a MOTU Imaginext line is always my first thing I have to say for years. It makes perfect sense.
    I looked it up when I heard about these because I had never seen any either. A 10" Superman and Batman showed up, so apparently it is a thing. They were called Imaginext XL.

I can see making a few of these as a novelty item for lines that are already really popular, but I can't fathom using this to gauge interest in something.

Heroic Podcaster
    Ten inches tall and only 3 figures? At that scale they will be woefully detail-less, barely more than statues that look like a kid at camp made them out of clay.

Ugh, HARD pass. The regular Imaginext scale is already perfect for MOTU - why reinvent the wheel? They could even reuse some existing molds! But no, we are going to make brand new 10" molds for figures no one wants.

Well, my wallet will be happy.
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

Imaginext Masters of the Universe 10Ē Figures- Any News?

I wonder what happened to these? They were announced last year at PowerCon to be released this summer but, I have heard no news since last August. Maybe they are tied in more with the new cgi series? I was kinda looking forward to them and I hope they are still scheduled to be released.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had been wondering about that, too. I showed my little niece the photos last year, and she's asked about them several times since. I expected them to be available by now! If we're very lucky, maybe they took them back to the drawing board and are planning normal sized releases after the pretty poor reception these were met with?