Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman 1984 Delayed Until December

Wonder Woman 1984 Delayed Until December

The cinematic release date for the much-anticipated Wonder Woman 1984 movie starring Gal Gadot, Chris Pine and Kristen Wiig has been delayed yet again until late December, around Christmas time.

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63017166/?ref_=hm_nw_tp3

Heroic Warrior
    think we just have to accept pretty much all major releases will be pushed back so studios can make as much money as possible from them.

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Moving the movie further into regular cold and flu season during this hysteria doesn't seem wise. I'd expect another delay.

Yeah, I would just full on move this movie to Summer 2021 at this point.

They will want to do a few months at a time instead of a fully year for the sake of keeping people talking about the movie. If they update the release every 2-3 months that's a new item brings attention to the movie.

What they have to be careful of though is annoying people with the pushbacks, which is why they are doing monthly ones for sure.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I do not understand the delay. Unless or until there is an effective vaccine, and a large percentage of the population has received it, theaters have to operate at a reduced capacity, and most people do not feel comfortable seeing a film under these circumstances anyway. So what is there to be gained by delaying the release for theaters, instead of releasing it directly to video on demand?

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    They will want to do a few months at a time instead of a fully year for the sake of keeping people talking about the movie. If they update the release every 2-3 months that's a new item brings attention to the movie.
    That might be one of the reasons even if given such circumstances not even the most expert marketing manager could have ever predict covid 19 and 20 .

To me at WB they're just doing a mess instead of pushing directly to spring/ summer 2021, it seems clear at this point this is not a good year for theatres, yes people will go buy tickets but in reduced capacity.
    No blockbuster with expected gross of at least 1 billion $ should ever risk to be released at this point, instead just movies by a smaller scale to me makes total sense......

such unfortunate the movie was not ready for december 19
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

They should just release the movie in their streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I do not understand the delay. Unless or until there is an effective vaccine, and a large percentage of the population has received it, theaters have to operate at a reduced capacity, and most people do not feel comfortable seeing a film under these circumstances anyway. So what is there to be gained by delaying the release for theaters, instead of releasing it directly to video on demand?
    Opening day sales are the only measure most movie making companies care about.

Years ago I was curious why concessions cost so much and in my research I found out that, opening week the movie company takes 75-90% of the ticket sales for the movie as the movie stays in theatres the more and more the theatre makes till it bottoms out around 25% for the movie company.

Disney right now owns it's own streaming service that is making them a pretty good amount of money without a middle man. not sure how well HBO max is doing in comparison.

I do think it would be a great selling point though if they did that (for HBO max).

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Opening day sales are the only measure most movie making companies care about.

Years ago I was curious why concessions cost so much and in my research I found out that, opening week the movie company takes 75-90% of the ticket sales for the movie as the movie stays in theatres the more and more the theatre makes till it bottoms out around 25% for the movie company.

Disney right now owns it's own streaming service that is making them a pretty good amount of money without a middle man. not sure how well HBO max is doing in comparison.

I do think it would be a great selling point though if they did that (for HBO max).
    Yes, but the point is that with theaters only operating at 25% capacity, at best, they can only hope to make 25% of their initially projected sales. That is not considering that theaters are not even able to fill 100% of that 25%, so they are likely to make much less. Conversely, they could release the film VOD at a premium, and make significantly more.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Yes, but the point is that with theaters only operating at 25% capacity, at best, they can only hope to make 25% of their initially projected sales. That is not considering that theaters are not even able to fill 100% of that 25%, so they are likely to make much less. Conversely, they could release the film VOD at a premium, and make significantly more.
    And I agree, I would be curious what the numbers were for Mulan and if/how that affected this decision. I do think there is much more hype for Wonder Woman than has been for Mulan

but this is warner under At&t and they make decisions based off some weird way the world works. Scratch that they were doing that before the buy out.

And I agree, I would be curious what the numbers were for Mulan and if/how that affected this decision. I do think there is much more hype for Wonder Woman than has been for Mulan

but this is warner under At&t and they make decisions based off some weird way the world works. Scratch that they were doing that before the buy out.
    Disney hasn't released any sales data, but there's this from analytics company Samba TV:

The movie was watched by 1.12 million US households over the four-day Labor Day weekend, from Friday to Monday, according to analytics company Samba TV. It cost an additional $29.99 for Disney Plus subscribers to buy "Premiere Access" to the movie, which means it earned at least $33.5 million, according to the estimates.
    From another article:

In addition, consumer demand for Mulan has sharply increased Disney+ downloads by over 68 percent, showcasing the massive popularity of the live-action adaptation.
    Chief Financial Officer Christine McCarthy had this to say:

We are very pleased with what we saw over the Labor Day weekend.
    Apparently they will talk more about the movie's performance during the next earnings conference call in November.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Yeah, if they keep moving it little by little they're more likely to have licensing partners still willing to support merchandise, etc. While moving the movie's release has obviously hurt merchandise, at least Wonder Woman is a recognizable, popular character so if there is product out there are still folks buying it.

I really, really want to see this movie, though!
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Yeah, if they keep moving it little by little they're more likely to have licensing partners still willing to support merchandise, etc. While moving the movie's release has obviously hurt merchandise, at least Wonder Woman is a recognizable, popular character so if there is product out there are still folks buying it.

I really, really want to see this movie, though!
    This movie was a hot mess of a disappointment....

This movie was ALL over the place and had NO Concrete story that made any real sense....First one was WAY better and had a decent story..besides from a few little homages this was a real let down...

And the explanation of how Steve came back and other things changed REALLY had me shaking my head....Glad I didn't see this in theaters a real disappointment but some people WILL LOVE this no matter what... They could have done better..

Mid credit scene was awesome though......
    Last edited by Megalodon; December 25, 2020 at 04:12pm.

I am eagerly awaiting Wonder Woman 1984 and nothing is going to dampen my enjoyment of this movie, it truly looks amazing, and of course I plan to add it to my DVD collection when it is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane-Man View Post
    I do not understand the synopsis. "Rewind to the 1980s?" Are they saying this is an ode to the original from the '80s or this film is SET in the '80s?
    The film is set in the 1980s. The original series was from the 1970s. The quote is a nod to the VCR technology of the time.
    Last edited by Laura Gill; December 26, 2020 at 08:51am.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

Heroic Warrior
    I will skip the cinema for this Iím afraid, donít want to pay to be disappointed. Will instead watch on streaming and maybe purchase the dvd if itís any good

Wonder Woman 1984 is quite a disappointing movie. Nowhere near as good as the first movie. The trailer was a lot more exciting.
    The mid credit scene was kind of cool.
    If this is the best they could do it's no wonder they delayed the movie.
    As far as live action comic book movies go Marvel are still vastly superior and Black Widow should be amazing.

I've only made it halfway through so far. Need to muster up the energy to finish at some point.

Its awful. And I was really looking forward to it because I really enjoyed the first one.

Its a mess. Setting it in the 80s is cool, making it almost a parody of BAD 80s movies was not.

Wiig feels like she's doing two of her SNL characters, Pascal is a very good actor, but all he's doing is chewing scenery like he's in the 60s Batman show, Pine feels like an 80s sitcom character and Gadot's limitations as an actress are really being exposed because she really needs stronger performances around her to do the heavy lifting.

Patty Jenkins probably should have stuck just to directing.

And how do you do a movie in the 80s and NOT have an absolutely killer soundtrack?

The last hour better be amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    It is not.

Also Gina Carano would have been a better Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post

Also Gina Carano would have been a better Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot.
    Gal Gadot cannot compare to such fineness and divineness.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Gal Gadot cannot compare to such fineness and divineness.
    Indeed, but Gina would be a more believable Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I've only made it halfway through so far. Need to muster up the energy to finish at some point.

Its awful. And I was really looking forward to it because I really enjoyed the first one.

Its a mess. Setting it in the 80s is cool, making it almost a parody of BAD 80s movies was not.

Wiig feels like she's doing two of her SNL characters, Pascal is a very good actor, but all he's doing is chewing scenery like he's in the 60s Batman show, Pine feels like an 80s sitcom character and Gadot's limitations as an actress are really being exposed because she really needs stronger performances around her to do the heavy lifting.

Patty Jenkins probably should have stuck just to directing.

And how do you do a movie in the 80s and NOT have an absolutely killer soundtrack?

The only things that made this watchable for me was the Mid Credits scene......

That was awesome....I asked what the hell took so long to do this?

I felt like the movie wasn't that good. It had it's moments (I really was surprised how much I liked Kristen Wiig... before she turned into the CGI videogame-looking Cheetah in the last 15 minutes of the movie. Had Kristen Wiig's character been written in a way that would have leaned more into the vibe the movie was giving when she put the lecherous dude in his place, it would have been a more interesting movie, especially if it had been more of a her new world view Vs. Wonder Woman's sort of plot.
    I loved the Wonder Woman in action scenes- the opening with her as a kid was great, all of the lasso stuff was really cool to watch (her abilities just seemed on point in this one)... the highway chase was exciting.... but there wasn't enough of that. It felt like it took forever to see her being Wonder Woman from the mall scene to the next action scene... and Diana herself just didn't have a whole lot to do it seemed (the '70s show had Diana Prince act more resourceful in some episodes). I love the chemistry between Diana and Steve Trevor- but I dunno... the overall plot of the film was a mess and I just wasn't into the main villain (so much so that less than 24 hours I'm struggling to remember his name correctly)... it seemed like they were getting in over their heads with what his goal was but didn't have the budget to show the actual chaos that would ensue. The scenes with fighting in the streets and stuff towards the end just seemed... small. There wasn't much of an epic battle sort of vibe at the end of the film and that's what I felt was really missing from a story like this.
    And yeah- like someone said earlier- if you're going to call it Wonder Woman 1984, the film makers should have taken a cue from Stranger Things and just really leaned hard into that ****. The soundtrack was a missed opportunity and the Hans Zimmer score was pretty underwhelming.
    I don't know- wanted to love this movie but even the trailers were just kinda "eh" for me all along (loved the New Order song being used, but...) at the end of the day, I'd like to see someone take Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and just put her in a better movie the next time around.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

It felt like a classic sequel from the age of bad sequels. Too many things going on that arenít tied together thematically in any way, felt like Diana just had nothing to do and was barely in the movie, just nothing made sense or had any emotional weight.