Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Wonder Woman 1984 Delayed Until December

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I loved the Shazam and Aquaman movies and am fearful their sequels might be as bad as WW84.
    Yes, both Aquaman and Shazam are great movies.

I especially like the way they pulled-off Black Manta (one of my fav DC villains)!

Much of the choreography was well-done too. Aquaman's biggest pitfall is probably the length of the movie... I feel it could have used a little more trimming.

As for Shazam, I am really looking forward to the direction this goes - along with Black Adam, these next movies could be the Superman flicks everyone wanted 8 years ago.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    When I was watching it, I kept thinking how much better Patrick Wilson would be as Aquaman than Jason Momoa.
    That was done on purpose. Since Orm is usually dark-haired (and even dark-skinned sometimes) in the comics while Arthur is blonde, the filmmakers wanted to switch that for the movie. So they purposely had Patrick Wilson dye his hair very blonde and kept Jason Momoa's dark locks, but they were lightened a little. Subverting expectations is an old movie trick.

Yes, Aquaman is a big, dumb movie, but in a good way. I agree that Momoa's and Amber Heard's acting is not the best, but the movie is just so so loud and crazy it works. And the effects are pretty amazing in Atlantis and the final big battle. Oh, and the roof-top battle in Italy with Black Manta. It's not high-brow at all, but I guess it's not for everyone. I would also not say it is a bad movie like WW84, Batman v Superman, Batman & Robin, Suicide Squad, or Dark Knight Rises. Those are BAD DC films for sure. Aquaman is just silly, but at least the plot makes sense, the characters have clear motivations, I can follow the action, and it is just fun.

Here is my top DC movies in order that I really, really enjoy:
    1. Dark Knight
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Aquaman
    5. Shazam!
    6. Batman (Tim Burton)
    7. Batman Returns
    8. Man of Steel
    9. Superman (Richard Donner)
    10. Superman 2
    11. Birds of Prey
    12. Joker

Here is my list for the worst or trash DC movies in no order since they are all really, really bad:
    WW84
    Batman & Robin
    Justice League
    Suicide Squad
    Supergirl
    Steel
    Batman Forever
    Superman 3
    Superman 4
    Batman v Superman
    Green Lantern
    Dark Knight Rises
    Catwoman
    Superman Returns

It's funny, for me a DC movie is either really good or really bad. There is no middle ground.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Are you one of those guys who tells people how ___X MOVIE___ should be in their personal favorite Top Ten Movies of all Time?

Yes, I should totally discard the first 20 or more minutes of a movie, no matter how badly or poorly it is executed.

It's okay. I once desperately tried to convince myself that the Star Wars prequels are great movies. After all, I was a mega-Star Wars fan. They had to be great!
    Not at all. You have every right to say it sucks... just not based on plot after ignoring 4/5 of the movie. It's like watching Star Wars and giving up before Luke meets Obi-Wan or Han... 'plot' is all encompasing. A lot of things that make no sense in the beginning are hooks that come together at the end. It's literally discarding a book because the cover sucked.

The book may STILL suck if you read it all... and the execution could still be terrible... but after only 1/5 of the experience that's not a valid complaint. And that was a LONG movie... 20 minutes is barely telling you the main characters names... Acting and effects may be legit complaints ( I actually thought the effects were much better than i expected for an 'underwater movie') but you have to see the plot before you can say the plot sucked.
    Last edited by phantom1592; January 20, 2021 at 07:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I really don't believe that. EVERYONE knows superman's origin... Everyone knows Batman's origin. They've been done a billion times over to death. As far back as the 50's this was a summary that takes less than a minute and got everyone up to speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2l4bz1FT8U

Between that show, The Donner movies, Lois and Clark, 3-4 cartoon series, 10 years of Smallville, Man of Steel...
    They literally NEVER need to start over on Krypton again. We don't start Sherlock holmes over every time with him as a child studying books... We get right into the mystery. Spider-man 2 was able to recap the entire first movie during the opening credits... and that's a lot of what movies need to do more of.

That said, now that really only applies to Batman and Superman. There are some who are legitimate mysteries even to the fans. Wonder Woman's origin can't stay the same even in the comics. Shazam and Aquaman are really first timers... They've been around forever, but nobody really knows their origins... that's legit. Gotta have the origin in the first movie..

But now that we HAVE them... they need to tell something new and original and NOT retread the ground over and over again.. and honeslty, I'm a bit concerned that's what Black Adam is going to be. Wizard grants super powers to a mortal and he has to learn how to use them and how to be a 'hero'... and ultimatedly fail... but theres' a LOT of retreat threat there where he SHOULD have been the villian in Shazam's movie... instead of giving us Silvana but giving him all the mystical powerups... to make him more like Black Adam

Well... gotta say you're wrong there. You can't judge a 2 1/2 hour movie on the plot after 20 minutes. You never even got TO the plot yet. Until SHAZAM came out, I do think Aquaman was the best of the DCEU movies. Took awhile to get rolling, but I loved the 3rd Act when he gets his 'real' costume.

And I'll say you're 100% right here! Never a big fan of Dark haired beared Aquaman... and I spent most of the movie wondering why his brother looked so much like the REAL aquaman Would have loved for them to switch roles!!
    That's what I meant about maybe, they might know one of the movie or television interpretations. Which for Batman and Superman are similar on most of the details. But was the Joker involved in the killing of Martha and Thomas? Jor-el mild manner scientist or D-bag extraordinaire?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

When I was watching it, I kept thinking how much better Patrick Wilson would be as Aquaman than Jason Momoa.

I know right??? Besides Jason wanted to be Lobo:

That's who he thought he was playing when he got the Aquaman script....

All I gotta say is that he would have KILLED it as Lobo DC/Warner Brothers Make it Happen!!!!!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yes, both Aquaman and Shazam are great movies.

I especially like the way they pulled-off Black Manta (one of my fav DC villains)!

Much of the choreography was well-done too. Aquaman's biggest pitfall is probably the length of the movie... I feel it could have used a little more trimming.

As for Shazam, I am really looking forward to the direction this goes - along with Black Adam, these next movies could be the Superman flicks everyone wanted 8 years ago.
    The biggest pitfall of Aquaman is not just that it is long, but it is dumb, and turns into a giant video game. There is so much CGI, that it can barely be called "live-action," and might as well be a cartoon.

Heroic Warrior
    The biggest pitfall of Aquaman is not just that it is long, but it is dumb, and turns into a giant video game. There is so much CGI, that it can barely be called "live-action," and might as well be a cartoon.
    We are in full agreement on this. Maybe God is real.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    That's what I meant about maybe, they might know one of the movie or television interpretations. Which for Batman and Superman are similar on most of the details. But was the Joker involved in the killing of Martha and Thomas? Jor-el mild manner scientist or D-bag extraordinaire?
    For the most part it doesn't actually matter. Superman was sent from Krypton before the planet exploded and on earth has amazing powers he uses to help people... who or what his dad was like is irrelevant to almost every Superman story. Who he is now is important. The kents are important.. but can be dealt with in a flashback or a voiceover... but the fact that all their stories are 'similar on most of the details'... means we really don't need any more origin stories for him. Who killed the Waynes? For the most part even Bruce didn't know. He realized it was the Joker in one movie a half hour before he died... it really shouldn't be something that needs to be revisited with every new franchise. He watched his parents die and now he fights crime... Now lets move on to Two-face or Penguin or something.

I am not saying they should make origin stories, just I see why they do it. It's easy, and everyone wants to put their slight spin on it. All-star Superman still has the best version of Superman's origin as it takes place all on one page.

I mentioned homecoming but
    Thor - not an origin story
    Guardian of the Galaxy - team get together so origin in that sense, but only one of the characters is given an actual origin story and that happens mostly in the sequel, one other has backstory.
    Ant-man - Kind of not an origin, more a passing of the torch from a character, but still an origin since the character passing on the torch hadn't been established.
    Black Panther - not an oirigin story, they give the background for the character
    Black Widow - not an origin story, heck not sure if in the movies they even mentioned her backstory. The dealt with it in Agents of Shield but that may or may not be in continuity.

Many (if not most) of the televised (animated included) versions of the DC characters (marvel even) never showed their origin story except maybe in the opening credits or did so at some later episode and than it was most often done for some other story.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Aquaman is a movie that is brilliant in regard to story and characterisation, and is beautiful visually.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Aquaman is a movie that is brilliant in regard to story and characterisation, and is beautiful visually.

× 1, 000, 000
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

× 1, 000, 000

X 1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    X 1,000,000
    You are so childish, it's ridiculous.

Question: Have you ever take part in any conversation in this thread? I find that people want conversation than a statement. to be honest I don't even give a hoot if people don't reply to me, even better not ******* them off.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_1984

Well, it looks like Wonder Woman 84 has finally broken the threshold and dipped to a 59% Critic Score and has become “Rotten”. It is a grand fall from the almost universal positive response to the original Wonder Woman movie...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

You are so childish, it's ridiculous.
    And your so predictable it's ridiculous....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Question: Have you ever take part in any conversation in this thread? I find that people want conversation than a statement. to be honest I don't even give a hoot if people don't reply to me, even better not ******* them off.
    That's his MO and god forbid you should talk bad about something he likes....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    And your so predictable it's ridiculous....

http://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/...4/10/giphy.gif

- - - Updated - - -

That's his MO and god forbid you should talk bad about something he likes....
    Your MO is to be totally rude and obnoxious whenever possible.

Yes I do converse and not just make statements. I just don't see the need to be negative. When I don't like something, I just don't talk about it.

Yes I do converse and not just make statements. I just don't see the need to be negative. When I don't like something, I just don't talk about it.
    Well technically everyone have it's own opinion, I'm not a movie goer but I never claim about how bad or good the movie is and I will never get any entitlement on it, other than music of course

But yeah, everyone have the rights to show their emotion about their favorite characters and how the film makers either destroyed or making it big, from these 5 pages? I don't think they made a good job on it. Everyone doesn't hate on the character itself or how Gal Gadot portrayed her character, it just how bitter taste the film executed.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

You guys have been warned several times about keeping the personal jabs to yourself, but for some reason you just can't control yourself.

I can see that there's no way that we can discuss WW84 on these forums without snide remarks about other forum members. It's a shame.