Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman 1984 Delayed Until December

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    It felt like a classic sequel from the age of bad sequels. Too many things going on that aren’t tied together thematically in any way, felt like Diana just had nothing to do and was barely in the movie, just nothing made sense or had any emotional weight.
    Sounds like the Disney Star Wars sequel trilogy.

It felt like a classic sequel from the age of bad sequels. Too many things going on that aren’t tied together thematically in any way, felt like Diana just had nothing to do and was barely in the movie, just nothing made sense or had any emotional weight.
    This was basically Thor to Thor 2.

A movie yes, but incoherent and one I’ll never revisit.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    This was basically Thor to Thor 2.

A movie yes, but incoherent and one I’ll never revisit.
    It makes Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 look like masterpieces in comparison...

I still think Wonder Woman 1984 will be brilliant and I am sure to love it. Gal Gadot is absolute perfection in this role. I hope they do a third movie with Giganta as the villain.

I look forward to the DVD release so I can watch the following marathon:

Batman Versus Superman: Dawn Of Justice
    Wonder Woman
    Justice League
    Justice League (Snyder Cut)
    Wonder Woman 1984
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Guy at work said he really liked it.

My guess they killed off the easier story for hollywood to write so they weren't sure what to do with the character outside of the action sequences. Killing Steve in the first movie was a great idea until you realize Hollywood won't know what do after that.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I still think Wonder Woman 1984 will be brilliant and I am sure to love it.
    They could make a movie about Wonder Woman (or any other DC Super Hero) tap dancing for two hours while singing about how much they love the smell of dog poop, and you would think it is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    They could make a movie about Wonder Woman (or any other DC Super Hero) tap dancing for two hours while singing about how much they love the smell of dog poop, and you would think it is brilliant.
    There's no need for your vile sarcasm.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

He's die hard I'm never seen loyalty to something even if it's bad...

I still think Wonder Woman 1984 will be brilliant and I am sure to love it.
    I guarantee you’ll love it. You’ve predetermined that you will, so it really doesn’t matter if it’s good or not.

I guess it’s kind of cool that you can never be disappointed by something you care for.

There's no need for your vile sarcasm.
    It's not really sarcasm if it is true. BCI Guy summed it up very well:

I guarantee you’ll love it. You’ve predetermined that you will, so it really doesn’t matter if it’s good or not.

I guess it’s kind of cool that you can never be disappointed by something you care for.
    You always say the same thing about pretty much any DC movie that comes out. Which means if they were to make the movie that I described in my previous post, more than likely you would say the exact same thing about it.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; December 26, 2020 at 11:48pm.

This guy hit it on the head:

Last edited by Megalodon; December 27, 2020 at 12:12am.

It's not really sarcasm if it is true. BCI Guy summed it up very well:

You always say the same thing about pretty much any DC movie that comes out. Which means if they were to make the movie that I described in my previous post, more than likely you would say the exact same thing about it.
    No I would not because your scenario is stupid.

Also, I don't listen to critics or reviewers. I make up my own mind.

Also, I don't listen to critics or reviewers. I make up my own mind.
    Sight unseen even!

I'm not criticizing you. If it makes you happy to automatically love anything done by, or about, something you like, then good for you.

Just realize it also makes it virtually impossible to have any kind of discussion with you about anything.

But again, if it makes you happy, then just keep doing you. Nothing wrong with it.

Sight unseen even!

I'm not criticizing you. If it makes you happy to automatically love anything done by, or about, something you like, then good for you.

Just realize it also makes it virtually impossible to have any kind of discussion with you about anything.

But again, if it makes you happy, then just keep doing you. Nothing wrong with it.

That's not necessarily true, positive people are just as capable of having conversation and discussion as negative people, more so in my opinion.

I just choose not to talk about things I'm not a fan of, that makes more sense to me than bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I felt like the movie wasn't that good. It had it's moments (I really was surprised how much I liked Kristen Wiig... before she turned into the CGI videogame-looking Cheetah in the last 15 minutes of the movie. Had Kristen Wiig's character been written in a way that would have leaned more into the vibe the movie was giving when she put the lecherous dude in his place, it would have been a more interesting movie, especially if it had been more of a her new world view Vs. Wonder Woman's sort of plot.
    I loved the Wonder Woman in action scenes- the opening with her as a kid was great, all of the lasso stuff was really cool to watch (her abilities just seemed on point in this one)... the highway chase was exciting.... but there wasn't enough of that. It felt like it took forever to see her being Wonder Woman from the mall scene to the next action scene... and Diana herself just didn't have a whole lot to do it seemed (the '70s show had Diana Prince act more resourceful in some episodes). I love the chemistry between Diana and Steve Trevor- but I dunno... the overall plot of the film was a mess and I just wasn't into the main villain (so much so that less than 24 hours I'm struggling to remember his name correctly)... it seemed like they were getting in over their heads with what his goal was but didn't have the budget to show the actual chaos that would ensue. The scenes with fighting in the streets and stuff towards the end just seemed... small. There wasn't much of an epic battle sort of vibe at the end of the film and that's what I felt was really missing from a story like this.
    And yeah- like someone said earlier- if you're going to call it Wonder Woman 1984, the film makers should have taken a cue from Stranger Things and just really leaned hard into that ****. The soundtrack was a missed opportunity and the Hans Zimmer score was pretty underwhelming.
    I don't know- wanted to love this movie but even the trailers were just kinda "eh" for me all along (loved the New Order song being used, but...) at the end of the day, I'd like to see someone take Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and just put her in a better movie the next time around.
    I agree with ALL of this. I enjoyed it as a DC fanboy...but it paled in comparison to the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    This guy hit it on the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2AjToBel_Y
    Yeah, I watched his review earlier.

I really wanted to like the movie. But it was disappointing. Gal Gadot is still great as Diana / Wonder Woman. But everything else about this movie was a big mess.

Luckily I had a free trial for HBO Max that I redeemed to watch this, so it didn't cost me anything.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not necessarily true, positive people are just as capable of having conversation and discussion as negative people, more so in my opinion.

I just choose not to talk about things I'm not a fan of, that makes more sense to me than bashing.
    Except that a lot of us are fans of the Wonder Woman character, and liked the first movie, but found this one disappointing. So we are fans who did not like this particular film. That is different than someone bashing something that they are just not a fan of in any capacity.

Reasonably positive people, who are still capable of nuanced thoughts, can have reasonable conversations and discussions. But people who blindly declare everything to be great, sight unseen, and cannot comprehend the idea of someone who IS a fan having anything less than a 100% perfect, glowing opinion of a movie like this are generally incapable of having such conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane-Man View Post
    Mikey, you said you look forward to adding this DVD to your collection BEFORE seeing the film. However, what if you do not like it? Or, is it impossible for you to dislike a film that is based on a character you like? That last question sounds sarcastic or smart, but it is honestly not meant to be. It would be ignorant of me not to realise that everyone is different and has different opinions/mindsets. I initially asked you about this because you seem to be the complete opposite of me; therefore, I am curious. I question everything, especially if it is something that I love. If I love something and a film is made about it that looks bad, I will be cautious. I love Star Trek, but I stopped watching the franchise about five episodes into Enterprise because I did not enjoy it. Then Discovery looked absolutely horrendous, so I did not even go past the trailer. If you give this film a try, then, of course, there is nothing wrong with that but to say you will definitely love it and say you will buy the DVD before seeing it is so foreign to me and challenges my comprehensive, to a degree. That is why I am a fanboy of nothing because to be a fanboy means, for the most part, to question nothing about whatever it is you are a fanboy of. That is why I agree with Dynamo of Eternia's earlier comment, and I understand you find it vile. However, although that comment is exaggerated and slightly over the top, it is merely saying that a fanboy indiscriminately likes everything and that is the only thing I do not fully understand.
    Mostly, I can always find the good in anything, and as a major fan of DC I am naturally going to be positive going in, and naturally I wish to add the movie to my DVD collection. It's very rare for me to be disappointed in things/people I am a fan of. Sometimes it happens, but not often, so I am reasonably hopeful about this movie. I haven't watched any of the R-rated releases because I know I won't like R-rated content.

I will probably watch it regardless if its good or trash . I loved She RA but never had a chance to watch many episodes when it was peaking due to having to move and in the 90,s it was basically impossible to find anything related to POP . All i had of She Ra was Christmas special and one VHS with Red Knight and King Miro,s Journey .

Wonder Woman comics filled the She Ra void for me . I had about 60 of those .
    Last edited by Lokus; December 27, 2020 at 03:25am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I will probably watch it regardless if its good or trash . I loved She RA but never had a chance to watch many episodes when it was peaking due to having to move and in the 90,s it was basically impossible to find anything related to POP . All i had of She Ra was Christmas special and one VHS with Red Knight and King Miro,s Journey .

Wonder Woman comics filled the She Ra void for me . I had about 60 of those .
    My sister bought me a whole bunch of Wonder Woman graphic novels this Christmas just gone. I haven't had time to read them yet, but I look forward to it, along with the rest of my Disney novels (I still have 3 out of 7 Disney Villains novels and 7 out of 10 Twisted Tales novels to read).

Heroic Warrior
    I saw the movie about 12 hours ago and I'm still digesting it... It was definitely a lot.

Tbh, I do actually feel that way about WW - it would take a hell of a lot for me to dislike a Wonder Woman movie (we live in a world with Wonder Woman movies!! How cool is that?!), and I'm an insane DC completist, which means I'll get the BR no matter what (seriously, I have Steel on DVD. Steel, you guys). I'm kind of still buzzing, but over time - as with the first movie - I'm sure things I don't like will rise to the surface.

[Do I need to say SPOILERS? Because... SPOILERS]

I definitely don't understand the idea that the movie had no emotional weight. I wasn't keen on Diana's "I'll never love again!" line, but her letting go of Steve was weighty for me. And the resolution with Max's son... That might have more to do with my own father issues, but it got me. I also rather liked that the confrontation between Max and WW was so small and contained, especially against the backdrop of global collapse, and that it called back to that epic opening scene. I thought it was neat that as an avatar of truth, love and compassion, WW was basically up against greed, deception and self-centredness.

I do agree that Diana didn't get a whole lot of interesting material between full-on WW scenes, though I liked seeing how her knowledge of history, language and art had expanded over the decades. And the scenes of her showing Steve the 80s felt like a nice reversal of Steve introducing her to man's world in the first movie.

I thought Wiig was excellent throughout (which surprised me a bit), especially her takedown of that dude in the street and for some reason the scene in the plane, and I actually quite liked her cheetah look. Not necessarily believable in live action I grant you, but still sort of beautiful. I tried really hard to avoid seeing any images of it beforehand and I'm glad I did.

One thing I was a bit less happy with was the idea of Diana pining away for Steve for 70 years. Partly because I'm not really keen on Steve as a love interest anyway, but it just felt... I don't know, 70 years and no-one else has ever caught her eye? Is he really that special?! In fact I was quietly hoping for maybe a little romance between Diana and Barbara, but alas... And the manner of Steve's return, and the poor dude he spent the whole movie wearing like a convenient skin-suit... well, let's just call it problematic and leave it at that.

Oh, WW learning to fly also made me ridiculously happy, and that mid-credits scene was a total air-punch moment.

On balance, I think I did mostly enjoy the set pieces over the whole. But there were a lot of them, and I found most of them very satisfying.
    "Showtunes and booze, kids - that's what keeps me happy."

Quote Originally Posted by Dane-Man View Post
    You certainly do not need to justify or explain yourself so thanks for the reply. We may be very different regarding what is being discussed here, but I always like to hear other people explain their thoughts on things. I might be more of a cynical pessimist who sometimes looks at fanboy type behaviour/mentalities and thinks 'those people are idiots.' However, the same could be said for my cynicism even though a fellow cynic might call it 'being realistic' purely because they are the same and agree. People are wired differently. Even if this film is terrible, I can see that someone may get a kick out of seeing Wonder Woman on the silver screen again regardless of the subjective quality or reviews from others. At times, I enjoy reading reviews, but I definitely think positively about you not paying attention to reviews and deciding for yourself. I will never watch this film or any other superhero type film made after the 1980s, but you will, and both our lives will go on, and the world will keep on turning.
    I can understand and even appreciate a difference of opinion when it is made without derision, nasty remarks or outright rudeness, none of which you are guilty of, for which I thank you, unlike some other people around here.

By the way, I have Steel on DVD as well which I admit I love.

I noticed Scottish actor Matt Costello in one scene. He acted as Stevie The Bookie in UK sitcom Still Game.

‘Wonder Woman 1984’ scores highest box office opening of the pandemic, Warner Bros. fast-tracks third film

“Wonder Woman 1984” soared into theaters on Christmas day and secured the highest box office opening of any film released domestically since the coronavirus pandemic crippled the entertainment industry in mid-March.

On Sunday, Warner Bros. revealed that the film tallied $16.7 million in the U.S. and Canada. “Wonder Woman 1984” was one of the first major Hollywood blockbusters to be released in theaters and on streaming on the same day.

The simultaneous release was meant to accommodate for a limited number of open movie theaters, limited seating capacity and a general public that continues to be fearful of returning to cinemas.

Warner Bros.-parent AT&T said Sunday that nearly half of its HBO Max subscribers viewed “Wonder Woman 1984” on Christmas day. As of early December, the streaming service had around 12.6 million customers.

“Wonder Woman 1984 broke records and exceeded our expectations across all of our key viewing and subscriber metrics in its first 24 hours on the service, and the interest and momentum we’re seeing indicates this will likely continue well beyond the weekend,” said Andy Forssell, executive vice president and general manager, of WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer division. “During these very difficult times, it was nice to give families the option of enjoying this uplifting film at home, where theater viewing wasn’t an option.”

The theatrical success of the film has led the studio to fast-track a third installment in the Wonder Woman franchise, the company said. It will be written and directed by Patty Jenkins, who helmed the previous two films and, last week, made it clear that she would not return to the franchise if there was not a theatrical model made possible for the film.

Heading into the weekend, analysts were unsure if the film could top the nearly $10 million that “The Croods: A New Age” secured during its opening weekend during Thanksgiving. There were concerns that viewership on HBO Max would significantly cannibalize ticket sales.

Still, even with a hefty box office haul, there is concern from fans and critics about Warner Bros.′ DC Extended Universe.

A week before debuting in the U.S., “Wonder Woman 1984” held an 88% “Fresh” rating on review site Rotten Tomatoes from 92 reviews. As of Sunday afternoon, that score has dropped down to 65% from 285 reviews.

While the film’s star, Gal Gadot, was widely praised, the film itself was lambasted for its weak story, plot inconsistencies and low-quality CGI.

For comparison, the first “Wonder Woman” film, released in 2017, earned a 93% score, the highest of any film in the DC Extended Universe. Private watch parties and large format screens like IMAX and Dolby were the most popular avenue for moviegoers to see the latest film over the holiday weekend, the company said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/27/wond...hird-film.html
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Look, I'm a DC fan (Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner is my guy) as been my favorite since the I started reading them after Hal went all dark side with Parallax in Emerald Twilight) but they've laid massively stinky eggs. Catwoman, Steel, and yes, even Green Lantern were terrible live action films and Justice League, Man of Steel and BvS leaving much to be desired. The DCAU is the only place they've done a good job putting our heroes on screen.

THERE ARE MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD:

My wife and I went went to see the movie at our local Movie Tavern on Christmas. It's so disheartening to see what this pandemic has done to theaters and entertainment venues in general. As for the movie itself, we generally liked it. It did seem a lot longer than necessary, but overall, it was a good summer popcorn movie. I've heard complaints on how the they didn't like how the main problem involved "magic and wishes."
    Um. Hello? This is the world of DC, magic is a cornerstone of the multiverse and we're talking about Diana's world involving the gods themselves. I had one minor beef with the film and I know it was mainly to move the film along and a great nod to the fans to have the jet involved somehow. But there is no way anyone like Steve (a man from nearly a century earlier) would be able to fly said jet just by hopping in it. LOL I'm also kind of uncomfortable with the manner of Steve's return. Slightly icky when you think of it LOL

And the mid-credit scene? Pure joy to behold, made me feel a kid again
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; December 27, 2020 at 06:14pm.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Look, I'm a DC fan (Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner is my guy) as been my favorite since the I started reading them after Hal went all dark side with Parallax in Emerald Twilight) but they've laid massively stinky eggs. Catwoman, Steel, and yes, even Green Lantern were terrible live action films and Justice League, Man of Steel and BvS leaving much to be desired. The DCAU is the only place they've done a good job putting our heroes on screen.

THERE ARE MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD:

My wife and I went went to see the movie at our local Movie Tavern on Christmas. It's so disheartening to see what this pandemic has done to theaters and entertainment venues in general. As for the movie itself, we generally liked it. It did seem a lot longer than necessary, but overall, it was a good summer popcorn movie. I've heard complaints on how the they didn't like how the main problem involved "magic and wishes."
    Um. Hello? This is the world of DC, magic is a cornerstone of the multiverse and we're talking about Diana's world involving the gods themselves. I had one minor beef with the film and I know it was mainly to move the film along and a great nod to the fans to have the jet involved somehow. But there is no way anyone like Steve (a man from nearly a century earlier) would be able to fly said jet just by hopping in it. LOL I'm also kind of uncomfortable with the manner of Steve's return. Slightly icky when you think of it LOL

And the mid-credit scene? Poor joy to behold, made me feel a kid again
    See this in lies the problem when Marvel made crappy TV shows/movies back in the day I don't remember fans "Sugar Coating" it like they are doing with DC...They should not be held to the same standard as other good superhero films? Funny thing is I've heard this my WHOLE life and it's a joke and a easy out for the people that make the films..

"Well at least we got (Fill In The Blank) on the screen that's all I care about to see my favorite character on the screen is OK by me" so even if it's horrible you'd rather have something bad than nothing at all? That doesn't make any sense...