Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman 1984 Delayed Until December

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    WW84 being a disappointment is peak 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I love Critical Drinker’s reviews.

I haven’t seen the film so I have no comments on it specifically and at this point I have no plans to.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; December 29, 2020 at 04:10am.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I love Critical Drinkerís reviews.

I havenít seen the film so I have no comments on it specifically and at this point I have no plans to.
    I enjoy Critical Drinkers reviews and I am a tea totaller LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    WW84 being a disappointment is peak 2020.
    Right?!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    And the critical score on Rotten Tomatoes has dropped a couple of points from 65% to 63%. I think it will stabilize at 60-61% in the end.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Online review sites cannot be trusted anymore. The last several years it's all about people pushing their agenda's or damage control for their favourite actor/director/studio.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane-Man View Post
    I have known about the Rotten Tomatoes site for many years, but I have honestly never been to it. I know how percentages work but as far as that particular site goes isn't that a pretty good score?
    By the site’s standards, it still qualifies as “fresh”. Anything below 60% is considered “rotten”. Personally, I would not consider a 63% as pretty good. I would say that is average or mediocre.

I’ve decided to attach a video which explains how Wonder Woman 84 dropped from an 89% Certified Fresh rating just before Christmas to a 63% rating in a few days:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Online review sites cannot be trusted anymore. The last several years it's all about people pushing their agenda's or damage control for their favourite actor/director/studio.
    I would not trust audience scores of most sites but critic scores from Rotten Tomatoes, I place some trust as these come from verified sources and not just a random individual logging into a computer.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; December 29, 2020 at 02:26pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I would not trust audience scores of most sites but critic scores from Rotten Tomatoes, I place some trust as these come from verified sources and not just a random individual logging into a computer.
    I don't even trust the critic reviews after all the stills for The Last Jedi.

Rotten tomatoes, Metacritic etc have always had an inherit flaw in them.

there are four review scales
    Pass/fail (thumbs up/down) problematic in the first place you need a 'two thumbs up/down' for it to have middle ground, with each thumb representing something else.

100 point scale, typically you see this in grading for schools. 70 is Considered average, 80 above average, 90 good, 100 excellent or perfect. (also can be known as the letter grading system A, B, C etc).

10 point scale more commonly used in reviews than the above two, 1-3 is below average, 4-6 is average, 7-9 is good, and 10 is excellent or prefect.

5 point system each point has a name, 1 = horrible, 2 = bad, 3 = average, 4 = good, 5 perfect or excellent. This is the most commonly used scale by professional critics.

(technically there is the 3 point is the least used because of lack of options and kind of is a variation on the pass/fail by adding in average).

So when rotten tomatoes adds all these into one stew pot and force it into one of the above systems you got a problem that is where the actual 'average' rating falls. With the average film being a 3 and you multiply it by 20 you get 60 which is lower than the 'average' spot on a 100 point system.

And that is why 60 is considered fresh on RT. And now you know and knowing is half the battle.

(on another forum, actually forums, this was discussed in great length when RT first showed up and was cited as being part of RT philosophy or what have you).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Cheetah really should have been used a lot more instead of the last 15 minutes.
    Agreed.

And it seems 14 of those minutes were spent on Cheetah whacking away at Diana's "super armor" that, confusingly, fell apart pretty easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    When it comes to the original source material, there are some things that would have benefited staying close to the source material. Personally, I think Fox should have made the Alien vs Predator movie much closer to the original comic story from the 90's. Set in the future around the time of Aliens, they could have used the Chigusa Corp as a rival to Weyland-Yutani. Fox also would have been able to bring the U.S. Colonial Marines in for future installments. But alas, we got a goofy present day Earth story by Paul W.S. Anderson, video game movie director hack. I'm surprised Milla wasn't his first choice to play Lex Woods.
    Aliens vs. Predator was a disaster on so many levels.

The studio should have absolutely followed the story of the CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED original comic series. It is done so well!

But, they were hoping to cash in on the premise alone... making a movie based on the Dark Horse series would have cost a lot more than the garbage that we eventually got...

Another fact that bugs me - to this day - about AVP: it takes place in the ARCTIC?!?!? Completely throwing away the fact that the Yautja ONLY hunt in the HOTTEST seasons or on the HOTTEST planets - like Ryushi.

...buuuut, look at how much money you can save when you don't actually have to build sets! Ugh!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I REALLY liked the first movie, and have a love for DC where some folks might say Iím biased. I liked BvS and Suicide Squad... but this movie was just bad.

Boring, dumb plot, bad action scenes, and lacking action overall. I was so excited for this! I actually saw Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins filming in Washington, DC. So disappointing...

They either need to ditch Patty or bring back more of the team from the first movie for the next one.

(The mid credits scene was fun.)

That's where I'm leaning...

Overall I didn't think it was terrible.. but it had some serious flaws that really crashed it. What they did well, they knocked out of the park... but what they didn't do great.... really sucked. And honestly the flaws I saw were directly 'director' related. The script was okay, the actors were rocking it... but just the camera angles and focus were just... bad. And that's on Patty.

For example....

The final fight with Cheetah... The camera was WAYYYYY to close and kept cutting back and forth between extreme closeups of their faces. You couldn't even see the action, just their 'intensity' during the fight. It reminded me a LOT of the Count Dooku fight in episode 2.... which was terrible, but then you're filming a 90 year old dude in a sword fight. I accept that concessions had to be made. No excuse with these actresses.

Also... what the camera actually showed us was WAY too dark. Fighting at night without lights once again just made it a kind of jumbled mess...

Also, maybe it was more for the women or something... but me adn the parents found it to REALLY drag with the romance plot. My nephews would never be interested in it the way there was so much sitting around and talking... I'm all for some character development and motivations... but there was too many slow parts.

And really.. that's the director again. i don't remember this being a problem in the first one... but i'll admit i haven't seen it since the theater... but man, I really won't be buying this one later.

I'm glad I saw it... if my girlfriend wants to see it when it's released on dvd... i'd watch it again, but it's not a keeper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    So I enjoyed the movie in general but for me it just seemed to be all over the place after the first 30 minutes. For much of the movie we don't even see Diana in her Wonder Woman garb but the movie had its moments. When Cheetah is finally shown in her full glory for me she looked like she'd put on her own makeup in an airplane with severe turbulence. Much of the scene was lit dark seemly to hide the character details from view. I REALLY wanted to love the movie, Gal and the rest of the cast does a great job but I feel the writing was scattery. For me the best part was the post credit scene.
    This makes me lol!

Her final "form" was a complete mess. The makeup is astoundingly awful.

I decided to give WW84 a second viewing.

Now, I'm really baffled at why Steve Trevor needed to pull a "quantum leap" and take over someone else's body?!?

This makes no sense at all (other than giving Steve a bunch of silly 80's outfits to try on.) Very silly, indeed.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Agreed.

And it seems 14 of those minutes were spent on Cheetah whacking away at Diana's "super armor" that, confusingly, fell apart pretty easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Aliens vs. Predator was a disaster on so many levels.

The studio should have absolutely followed the story of the CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED original comic series. It is done so well!

But, they were hoping to cash in on the premise alone... making a movie based on the Dark Horse series would have cost a lot more than the garbage that we eventually got...

Another fact that bugs me - to this day - about AVP: it takes place in the ARCTIC?!?!? Completely throwing away the fact that the Yautja ONLY hunt in the HOTTEST seasons or on the HOTTEST planets - like Ryushi.

...buuuut, look at how much money you can save when you don't actually have to build sets! Ugh!!
    They should have done this movie instead:

Heroic Warrior
    just finished watching WW84. i was to say disappointed at the very least. way too much mindless chatter and lacked anything the really resembled big action scenes. probably one of the worst of a very limited choice of movies that have been released over 2020

They should make a movie called 'The '80s.' It can have RoboCop, Terminator, Freddy Krueger, the adult cast from The Goonies along with anything and everything else from that decade. The storyline does not matter, merely throw a bunch of recognisable crap in for nostalgia sake and call it a day; it will be a hit!
    Robocop Vs. Terminator was another crossover well written book by Frank Miller & Walt Simonson...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Excellent points. And regarding staying true to the original source material, there is an inherent danger that if one remains too true to the original source material it becomes simply a carbon copy of the original, just in a different medium. It begs the question: why would I want to see it if I know the original so well?

I prefer films that do respect the original but then catch me completely off guard with a couple of threads I didn't see coming.

Excellent point.

I like completely original stories using well established characters. I want my charcters to LOOK like the comic, and act like the comic... but I don't want the story to be a complete remake of the comic.

For example. Any of the Christopher Reeve movies were great. (even IV). That was my superman. I would rather watch any of those superman movies than... Dark Knight Returns or Death of Superman on the screen. I know those stories too well.. I have them on the shelves... and a 2 hour movie will never really do them justice anyway. Watchmen was boring, but Spider-man 2 or Amazing Spider-man 2 were a blast. New stories with recognizable characters.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Excellent point.

I like completely original stories using well established characters. I want my charcters to LOOK like the comic, and act like the comic... but I don't want the story to be a complete remake of the comic.

For example. Any of the Christopher Reeve movies were great. (even IV). That was my superman. I would rather watch any of those superman movies than... Dark Knight Returns or Death of Superman on the screen. I know those stories too well.. I have them on the shelves... and a 2 hour movie will never really do them justice anyway. Watchmen was boring, but Spider-man 2 or Amazing Spider-man 2 were a blast. New stories with recognizable characters.
    Superman IV is the worst superhero/comic book movie of all time, hands down.

Heroic Warrior
    They should make a movie called 'The '80s.' It can have RoboCop, Terminator, Freddy Krueger, the adult cast from The Goonies along with anything and everything else from that decade. The storyline does not matter, merely throw a bunch of recognisable crap in for nostalgia sake and call it a day; it will be a hit!
    That concept worked out pretty well for Stranger Things so why not.

Master of New Adventures!
    I wish you were a studio head...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Excellent point.

Personally I wish they'd invest in some more obscure heroes. I actually liked when Mystery Men came out.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Superman IV is the worst superhero/comic book movie of all time, hands down.
    Can't agree with that... It's REALLY REALLY bad... but I still rank Catwoman, Steel, and Elektra below it. And it was the last time they actually had a GOOD superman suit.

Animated features should be based on actual stories. Based on meaning as close to the source as you can get.

Live action should at best be inspired by. Which is what they have done for the most part.

I mean in many ways when the continuity stuff started it was really this just outright 6+ issue storyline dealing with said characters. Using Wonder Woman as the example with some of her villains. Cheetah would be involved in the story in one issue, but wouldn't reappear sometimes for 2-6 issues later, with and end cap to an ongoing story with Ares, than someone else maybe for a few issues. Yes on occasion they would do a issue after issue story line (more so more recently).

Part of the reason it's hard to capture many of stories in a movie is how it would jump from villain to villain so much, and in general movies like to have a very nicely packaged ending. That however does work great for television.

Even when you are making a series of movies your audience still wants a clean ending, that isn't to say there aren't loose threads etc but viewers need a sense of some kind of general closure.

I do want the characters to be as close to their original as possible. I mean as much as I loved GotG, it wasn't the same as the comic version of that same team with those characters. Movie Starlord and comic Starlord are like two different characters. But I am fine with that in this case.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Personally I wish they'd invest in some more obscure heroes. I actually liked when Mystery Men came out.
    DC (Like Marvel) has THOUSANDS!!!! They should pick a new one instead of re-hashing Batman & Superman 500,000 times...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Animated features should be based on actual stories. Based on meaning as close to the source as you can get.Ares, than someone else maybe for a few issues. Yes on occasion they would do a issue after issue story line (more so more recently).

Part of the reason it's hard to capture many of stories in a movie is how it would jump from villain to villain so much, and in general movies like to have a very nicely packaged ending. That however does work great for television.

Even when you are making a series of movies your audience still wants a clean ending, that isn't to say there aren't loose threads etc but viewers need a sense of some kind of general closure.

I do want the characters to be as close to their original as possible. I mean as much as I loved GotG, it wasn't the same as the comic version of that same team with those characters. Movie Starlord and comic Starlord are like two different characters. But I am fine with that in this case.
    See DC doesn't care about CONTINUITY look at the first WW she kills Ares to end world war I then what about WW2,Korean War,Vietnam etc.? Do they really believe that people don't follow a story??

The people that don't see that are just as blind as Matt Murdock....

I know you aren't referring to Ares going missing and that means war stops since that's addressed in the film itself.

It's the general problem with superheroes in the first place, especially characters on that power level. They could flat out stop wars often in minutes. There are some stories that do delve into why they don't or problems that could come about from them doing so. Whether they are good or not is another matter of course or the arguments are good or bad.

But they are escapist fantasy that occasionally touch on real world things but are often nothing more than one's musings on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I know you aren't referring to Ares going missing and that means war stops since that's addressed in the film itself.
    Going missing??? Diana kills him?

Did you forget this??? With Areas dead War should not happen but it did so explain that? Only a god can kill another god...
    Last edited by Megalodon; December 30, 2020 at 09:05pm.