Thread: Anime Cyberpunk era

Anime Cyberpunk era

How many people are recall this era when it came to anime, especially cyberpunk era, the 1980s and 90s time period. (shows like Bubblegum crisis, Ad police, Cyber City Oedo 808 and so on)

I forgotten how far ahead of its time a lot of the anime was in that era.

I remember and cherish overall 90's anime, and cyberpunk OVA's and shows were very common. As you mentioned Bubblegum Crisis (2040 remake was awesome), Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Appleseed, Armitage, Alita, Sprigan and many other sci-fi shows like Cowboy Bebop draw me to wacth a lot of anime today.

It is quite odd today that such a rich genre is not present in anime, mainly everything being shonen or sekai
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

I am a Bubblegum Crisis purist. I lived and died by this OVA in high school, and it will always hold a very dear place in my heart. (I know almost every line from the series - in Japanese!)

I do have to disagree with Rhanen though, BGC 2040 was a huge slap in the face of Kenichi Sonoda and Kinuko Oomori. The 2040 series pales in comparison the original series in design, animation and story.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    The 2040 series pales in comparison the original series in design, animation and story.

Funny enough, I myself found the 2040 series not as good as the original. If I recall correctly, I think AD Police was a spin off to Bubblegum Crisis? That theme song Bubblegum Crisis - Konya wa Hurricane is quite good.

You know what was another good series, even though it was graphic, Angel Cop.

I enjoy cyberpunk anime, and have fond memories of Cowboy Bebop, but watching Akira as a kid, I found it kinda disturbing. Maybe I have a weak stomach?

Super robot, "slice of life", and Ghibli style anime are more my thing.

Heroic Warrior
    In retrospect, cyberpunk did seem to be the dominant genre at the videos stores I was renting at in the early 90s...stuff like AD Police, Dirty Pair, Dominon Tank Police and Genocyber seemed to be ever present in the anime section.To me, it still seems as sleek and cutting edge as it did thirty some years ago.