Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HeroQuest board game

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    I found Visionaries to be pretty boring as a kid....look alike characters saddled with the hologram gimmick, the holograms looked cool but then what? But, I think it might be interesting to see it given a modern makeover. Update the designs and integrate some kind of interactive tech to simulate their avatars.
    I was the exact opposite. I enjoyed the individuality of each characters armor although I'll admit some of the armor was very plain compared to others. They were also very posable for toys at that time. The only thing I didn't really fall in love with was the vehicles.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

I still have the original heroquest and expansions . years of fun, even ran some campaigns a few years ago as part of a gaming club for work....all the kids loved it but were disappointed it wasn't available to buy. same as me finding out Hasbro still refuses to acknowledge/ ship to anywhere outside of the USA exists!

same deal as the gi. joe classified andmasters of the wwe universe figures if they make heroquest reasonable to obtain in the uk both in terms of cost and availability them i'll be all over it.

if not, then due to ten years of being bent over in terms of actually finding stock to order, exclusives, limited editions, customs, shipping and handling charges......well sorry Hasbro and mattel but i'm just too raw to pick the soap up any more!
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    True, that's what I'm hoping to see as well, especially as we inch closer to that final goal. IIRC, most of the quests didn't really require a horde of miniatures to be on the field at once, so bonus monsters are really only necessary if you're prone to losing them (or need something to flesh out the two Cha... sorry Dread spells that summon). Personally if they were gonna use miniatures as stretch goals, I'd have preferred variants on the unique monsters like the Gargoyle, or more furniture to flesh out the dungeon with.
    Well, We're past the 1.8 mark

35 days to get that last 200,000 and I think we'll get that extra quest book.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Well, We're past the 1.8 mark

35 days to get that last 200,000 and I think we'll get that extra quest book.
    Yeehaw!

- - - Updated - - -

And with that, we have flown past the $2 mill mark... so hasbro has added more stretch goals on it's way to $3 mil. And for those of you in England, New Zealand, and Australia miffed you weren't getting the chance to grab it, HasLabs says they're good to go now.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeehaw!

- - - Updated - - -

And with that, we have flown past the $2 mill mark... so hasbro has added more stretch goals on it's way to $3 mil. And for those of you in England, New Zealand, and Australia miffed you weren't getting the chance to grab it, HasLabs says they're good to go now.

I have to say one of my favorite things they did with this set, is adding both Male and female versions of the core characters. I know when we were kids it was always annoying to 'play the girl character'... and love that you can mix it up now. Same stats, differnt figure.

I really hope they will do something similar with the stretch goals... It'll be weird to have 2 each of the classic characters and only 1 of the warlock, druid, and Bard.... and really?!? Orc Bard?! I'd have preferred something a little more iconic... since Heroquest is always the bare bones basic 'orcs are the bad guys'. type of game. :-/

Very curious about it's stats are....

I have to say one of my favorite things they did with this set, is adding both Male and female versions of the core characters. I know when we were kids it was always annoying to 'play the girl character'... and love that you can mix it up now. Same stats, differnt figure.

I really hope they will do something similar with the stretch goals... It'll be weird to have 2 each of the classic characters and only 1 of the warlock, druid, and Bard.... and really?!? Orc Bard?! I'd have preferred something a little more iconic... since Heroquest is always the bare bones basic 'orcs are the bad guys'. type of game. :-/

Very curious about it's stats are....
    Yeah, I'm not sure why they're only showcasing one piece each for the new characters either, except maybe they don't expect players to be big on playing them over the original 4 heroes. Welcome though they may be, I have to think more diverse combat abilities with new characters is going to skew the quests more in the heroes favor, unless Zarkon's forces are getting new tricks too. I mean even now most of the monsters are pretty much 1 hit point wonders, and most of the dread spells are usually assigned to boss monsters over something the DM can just cast on a whim.

I like the Bard being an orc. It adds a certain lighthearted comedy element to the game.

- - - Updated - - -

2 extra zombies just landed, and we're close to the druid. I'm actually interested in finding out what the Spirit Queen quests involve.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; October 15, 2020 at 02:26pm.

Okay Hasbro may be pushing this a bit far. Only a little more than a week to go and they've added another (their third set) five stretch goals, and the second set has not been completed yet. I begin to think this is more just advertising for what else you can get for more money when the game finally releases for.

That being said, I definitely want me a dragon.

- - - Updated - - -

With just three days to go, the Spirit Queen's Torment quest book has been achieved.

Any bets on if the crowd can fund another million?

I have considered the new HeroQuest game, but alas, no one to play with.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I can't believe this version has been backed to this extent. The models look like absolute garbage. If they had teamed up with Games Workshop again, I would have been all in. But Hasbro is a pretty trash company and as I said previously, the models are so utterly terrible. Was an easy pass for me. It actually made me think about tracking down super mint versions of the originals though.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I can't believe this version has been backed to this extent. The models look like absolute garbage. If they had teamed up with Games Workshop again, I would have been all in. But Hasbro is a pretty trash company and as I said previously, the models are so utterly terrible. Was an easy pass for me. It actually made me think about tracking down super mint versions of the originals though.
    Gotta disagree there. The sculpts look great to me. I'd rather have these....

Vs. These any day of the week!

As an avid painter of miniatures... I'll take modern figures with awesome details over anything sculpted in the 80's or 90's every day of the week. Technology and the craft is just leaps and bounds ahead of what it used to be.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I really don't see how anyone can see "absolute garbage" when looking at these. Nostalgia really can blind.

Wow, last day and the funding has been jumping. Still don't think we'll make it to $4 mil, but maybe we will get all the way up to an extra Dread Sorceror.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I have considered the new HeroQuest game, but alas, no one to play with.
    Full disclosure: My copy will probably sit as a display on my shelf with it's best figurine sitting out for show. Unless I can find people who want to play it.

Widget
    I am one of these dudes that enjoys anything from yesteryear more than any "improved" modern product. However, even though I would rather a mint and complete original, I think that this thing looks bloody incredible. The figures, doors, furniture and cards look absolutely amazing. This has always been my favourite board game, and if it were not for me having spent so much on MOTU stuff lately, I would be all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake!

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, last day and the funding has been jumping. Still don't think we'll make it to $4 mil, but maybe we will get all the way up to an extra Dread Sorceror.

Full disclosure: My copy will probably sit as a display on my shelf with it's best figurine sitting out for show. Unless I can find people who want to play it.
    I've heard a rumor that any 'UK' participants aren't being shown in the current totals.... If that's true, once it closes, we may hit that 4M mark yet.

Honestly, I would hope they throw it all in anyway. 'Extra' Skeletons and mummies aren't costing them anything. They'll just make the molds to accomadate.

The Dragon and the quest book are the only things that are out of their pocket... and one is a book (pretty cheap to make) and the other is already sculpted, which they would have paid for anyway. Really as far as stretch goals go, they've been pretty low risk and wouldn't hurt them to throw them in.... especially since we're about 3 Million over their original goal...

I've heard a rumor that any 'UK' participants aren't being shown in the current totals.... If that's true, once it closes, we may hit that 4M mark yet.

Honestly, I would hope they throw it all in anyway. 'Extra' Skeletons and mummies aren't costing them anything. They'll just make the molds to accomadate.

The Dragon and the quest book are the only things that are out of their pocket... and one is a book (pretty cheap to make) and the other is already sculpted, which they would have paid for anyway. Really as far as stretch goals go, they've been pretty low risk and wouldn't hurt them to throw them in.... especially since we're about 3 Million over their original goal...
    That would be fantastic. Presently we have made it to the extra Dread Sorceror tier, so Hasbro really doesn't have much to lose just by tossing in the remaining three sculpts and the book. Of course then I remember how stingy they've been with transformers weaponry, and I wonder if there's an accountant somewhere figuring up just how much extra plastic they'd have to use for all the preordered units.

I always wanted to play that one . Looks like great competition for Dungeons and Dragons .

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I always wanted to play that one . Looks like great competition for Dungeons and Dragons .
    I never felt it was competition for D&D so much as a gateway INTO D&D. It's a very basic, bare bones, Dungeon crawl that you can be fun for a couple of hours... or just keep improving your character as the campaigns go on.

Myself, we never did any leveling up... we always said we wanted to, but never actually did. Whenever we started again, we pretty much started from scratch.

Real D&D is very time consuming... and better in all ways than heroquest, but for those nights you just want a short somethign or other and don't have the full group for D&D it's a great one night kind of thing.

We have long running campaigns in D&D right now... and this won't replace it. But we also have a board game night once a week, and this could easily be the new favorite for THAT

It would depend on what you mean by competition. You can run some quick dungeons and dragons games, of course it typically requires some homework as characters need to be made before hand, or even announce class and just do a generic start off. 'you enter the adventurers guild and look over the quest board, you see a quest for goblin slaying and reach for it you see X number of hands also reach for it. While you would split the rewards, there is safety in numbers so you decided to join forces. ' While the players roll their sheets and on the way the develop simple backgrounds for their characters while they chat on the way to goblin nest. Me and friends often did something like this at the height of 2nd edition and the constant kits being added in and stuff.

But Heroquest does a lot of that for you, as was said it's competition for the more short term 'settings.' As were the many other board games released at the time, they were all more or less variations on the same basic D&D structure with slight differences in each.

I will say now there are more boardgames to play that are more unique in playstyle.

But again many, many of these boardgames were great ways to introduce a new player to the concepts of more traditional pen and paper games. Of course it's funny when you start wanting to add things in for more long term plans with the games and come to the realization you already have that. You may just need to adapt some of the things from said board game into your campaign.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Best review of Hero Quest

For UK customers, Zavvi have announced they are going to be charging the preorders on Monday the 16th of November. I was somewhat surprised by this, since they had previously said payment would not be taken until the orders were dispatched next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    For UK customers, Zavvi have announced they are going to be charging the preorders on Monday the 16th of November. I was somewhat surprised by this, since they had previously said payment would not be taken until the orders were dispatched next year.
    Yes, I got that email too. Not happy about that, TBH, and I sent them an email asking them to explain why they're taking this action.

Just found out this is getting the final stretch goal added to it's Mythic Tier backers. So now HeroAuest gets. Dragon and ten brand new quests as well.

Just found out this is getting the final stretch goal added to it's Mythic Tier backers. So now HeroAuest gets. Dragon and ten brand new quests as well.
    Yeah I got that email as well. That is awesome! No idea when it ships yet though.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Yeah I got that email as well. That is awesome! No idea when it ships yet though.
    It said they were getting ready to ship in October, and apparently everyone has until the end of the day on September 20th to make sure their shipping address is correct and up to date.