Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was reluctant to watch it, but...

I was reluctant to watch it, but...

I finally gave this show a chance and I'm so glad that I did. I was reluctant to watch it because after looking at some images I didn't like the art style and I thought the show looked like, I don't know, maybe too childish or something. I have to admit I misjudged it. Watching the first couple of minutes changed my opinion completely, I think it actually looks very nice and, while the show does feel made for a younger audience, I wouldn't call it childish at all.

I just finished watching the first season yesterday, can't wait to start with season 2. This is indeed a great show, the characters and their dynamics are a lot of fun and all the episodes so far have been very entertaining.
    My website (currently under construction)

You are in for quite a ride... do your best to avoid spoilers along the way!

I absolutely LOVE the new She-Ra series!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

If nothing else . It has a good complex story possibly the best story arc if compared to POP , MOTU , NA and 20XX .

I have the original song the intro diddy was based on stored in my fancy music gadget . Its a nice song when you have to attack a pile dirty dishes .
    Last edited by Lokus; September 30, 2020 at 04:17am.

It's a great show that unfortunately too many people like yourself disregarded for one reason or another. I'm glad you decided to give it a chance. You just have to remember, it's not a direct update to the 80s series; it is its own take on the property. If you stick through it the whole way, you get a great 52 episode arc that really ramps up in the last season. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    You are in for quite a ride... do your best to avoid spoilers along the way!
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the new She-Ra series!
    I can see why, it's a great series!

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    If nothing else . It has a good complex story possibly the best story arc if compared to POP , MOTU , NA and 20XX .

I have the original song the intro diddy was based on stored in my fancy music gadget . Its a nice song when you have to attack a pile dirty dishes .
    I've really enjoyed the story so far, can't wait to see how it develops further (I've just finished the second episode from season 2).

At first I didn't care much for the music theme, I didn't dislike it but it didn't feel as inspiring as the old theme; I had the same problem with the 2002 series, the music from the 80's He-Man and She-Ra was just something special. I would have liked if they updated the old theme, like it was done on Nickelodeon's 2012 Ninja Turtles. But after watching several episodes, I got over it and now I really like the music.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    It's a great show that unfortunately too many people like yourself disregarded for one reason or another. I'm glad you decided to give it a chance. You just have to remember, it's not a direct update to the 80s series; it is its own take on the property. If you stick through it the whole way, you get a great 52 episode arc that really ramps up in the last season. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Yes, sadly there was also a lot of negativity which was way more visible than the praise the show has received, and perhaps that contributed somewhat my reluctance to watch it, I was under the wrong impression that the show wasn't very good.

Yes, I understand this is not the same as the old show, I expected that. And I'm definitely sticking through with it, I'm hooked on this show.

If you enjoy the show I would also recommend Avatar The Last Airbender. It's show that this rendition of She-Ra takes a lot of inspiration from and is an excellent show in it's own right.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    If you enjoy the show I would also recommend Avatar The Last Airbender. It's show that this rendition of She-Ra takes a lot of inspiration from and is an excellent show in it's own right.
    I've heard it mentioned a lot, but never looked into it. I'll add it to my list, thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    I've heard it mentioned a lot, but never looked into it. I'll add it to my list, thanks for the recommendation!
    You honestly can't go wrong with Avatar TLA.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I started watching out of curiosity...by the end of the last season I was in tears (in a good way).

I loved that something new from MOTU/POP could become so meaningful to me...could create new attachments above and beyond nostalgia.

I finally gave this show a chance and I'm so glad that I did. I was reluctant to watch it because after looking at some images I didn't like the art style and I thought the show looked like, I don't know, maybe too childish or something. I have to admit I misjudged it. Watching the first couple of minutes changed my opinion completely, I think it actually looks very nice and, while the show does feel made for a younger audience, I wouldn't call it childish at all.

I just finished watching the first season yesterday, can't wait to start with season 2. This is indeed a great show, the characters and their dynamics are a lot of fun and all the episodes so far have been very entertaining.
    Well... what can I say. Welcome to LGBT Etheria. I felt season 1 was the Trojan horse for some strange things to come. Just my opinion.

I felt season 1 was the Trojan horse for some strange things to come. Just my opinion.
    And was it ?

Also watch My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Steven Universe and Voltron Legendary Defenders! It would be best you watch these shows first before watching this She-Ra, especially MLP:FIM.

The show's about as good as the MYP episode, The Island.... well, maybe not as good, but close!
    Last edited by Zentron; October 10, 2020 at 06:01am.
    Demand quality.

Heroic Warrior
    And was it ?
    They're probably either talking about LGBTQ characters (which are handled better in this than most shows imo, not making a particularly big deal out of it, which as a gay guy, is how I want to see us represented, as normal people) or the darker tone of later seasons (which imo the last two seasons are some of the best stuff MOTU has to offer, at least on par with the MYP stuff, which is one hell of an achievement).

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    A good hit of cocaine and LSD may help you get through the pile of contrived rubbish that is the final season.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    A good hit of cocaine and LSD may help you get through the pile of contrived rubbish that is the final season.
    That and just watch up to the end of season 3 and you'll know pretty much how the whole show ends, as it's basically a repeat!
    Demand quality.

I can't wait to start watching the new POP series all over again! I'm in the middle of reading my Disney books currently.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    You honestly can't go wrong with Avatar TLA.
    I'll watch it when I finish with She-Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post
    I started watching out of curiosity...by the end of the last season I was in tears (in a good way).

I loved that something new from MOTU/POP could become so meaningful to me...could create new attachments above and beyond nostalgia.

Yes, the characters are so likeable and well written, it's easy to get attached to the show. It certainly stands on its own merit.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Well... what can I say. Welcome to LGBT Etheria. I felt season 1 was the Trojan horse for some strange things to come. Just my opinion.
    LGBT Etheria is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Also watch My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Steven Universe and Voltron Legendary Defenders! It would be best you watch these shows first before watching this She-Ra, especially MLP:FIM.

The show's about as good as the MYP episode, The Island.... well, maybe not as good, but close!
    I watched the first two seaons of Voltron Legendary Defenders when they were released and I loved it! I didn't watch the whole show because I let too much time go by after that and I forgot much of the story, so I didn't want to start with season three before watching seasons 1 and 2 again, something I look forward to do eventually.

I've not been interested in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and Steven Universe, I actually know little to nothing about those shows; I watched the original My Little Pony back in the 80s, but it wasn't a favorite. I still may give those shows a chance some day, but it's not in my current plans.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    They're probably either talking about LGBTQ characters (which are handled better in this than most shows imo, not making a particularly big deal out of it, which as a gay guy, is how I want to see us represented, as normal people) or the darker tone of later seasons (which imo the last two seasons are some of the best stuff MOTU has to offer, at least on par with the MYP stuff, which is one hell of an achievement).
    As a straight/cis ally, I loved the LGBTQ+ representation.

I haven't seen the final two seasons yet, but hearing they become darker sounds very interesting! I paused after the first episode of season 4 to have my October horror marathon, lol. I'll be back with She-Ra after Halloween or earlier if I run out of scary stuff to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I can't wait to start watching the new POP series all over again! I'm in the middle of reading my Disney books currently.
    I can imagine; this is a series I, too, will be watching many times over the years. Have fun with your Disney books!
    Last edited by krugos; October 12, 2020 at 02:55am.

I watched the first two seaons of Voltron Legendary Defenders when they were released and I loved it! I didn't watch the whole show because I let too much time go by after that and I forgot much of the story, so I didn't want to start with season three before watching seasons 1 and 2 again, something I look forward to do eventually.

I've not been interested in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and Steven Universe, I actually know little to nothing about those shows; I watched the original My Little Pony back in the 80s, but it wasn't a favorite. I still may give those shows a chance some day, but it's not in my current plans.
    It gets a little iffy in a few places, but VLD is a very fine show overall. I wasn't into MLP:FIM either, but it's a good idea to watch, as you'll see where Noelle got most of her characters, stories and many other things from to produce her She-Ra. I was more appreciative of MLP Equestria Girls btw
    Demand quality.

In regards to stuff to recommend if you liked this. I'm going to give kind of a tentative recommendation, for RWBY.

I say tentative because, because the first couple of seasons are pretty rough (both in terms of writing and production values) and even after that it can still be kind of hit and miss. But if you can get past those problems there's a lot to like.

And the show does get a lot nicer visually overtime. As this image can attest to.

O15qIwg.jpg

I'll watch it when I finish with She-Ra.

Yes, the characters are so likeable and well written, it's easy to get attached to the show. It certainly stands on its own merit.

LGBT Etheria is a lot of fun.

As a straight/cis ally, I loved the LGBTQ+ representation.

I haven't seen the final two seasons yet, but hearing they become darker sounds very interesting! I paused after the first episode of season 4 to have my October horror marathon, lol. I'll be back with She-Ra after Halloween or earlier if I run out of scary stuff to watch.

I can imagine; this is a series I, too, will be watching many times over the years. Have fun with your Disney books!

You sound like an amazing, awesome and inspiring person Krugos, I look forward to getting to know you more.

I just finished reading Evil Thing and The Beast Within (Disney Villains) and Straight On Till Morning (Twisted Tales). I'm currently reading Poor Unfortunate Soul (DV) and Reflection (TT).

These books were based on 101 Dalmatians, Beauty And The Beast, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid and Mulan respectively.

I shall also re-watch the new She-Ra!

As hetro somewhat effeminate male , I find the word cis to be quite offensive and derogatory .

Heroic Warrior
    As hetro somewhat effeminate male , I find the word cis to be quite offensive and derogatory .
    Almost everyone who uses the term does so in a derogatory way.

I'm normally the first one to come down hard on anyone being offensive and derogatory regarding issues pertaining to equality, but in Krugos' case, I do not think he was intending to be either offensive or derogatory, and he was in fact, doing just the opposite.

Mermista SIGH

I was sharing My personal opinion about the word CIS whom username Krugos just happened to make use of .

I agree there is nothing wrong with that post .
    Last edited by Lokus; October 15, 2020 at 12:43am.