Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I was reluctant to watch it, but...

Late to the thread, but Iím looking forward to giving this series another try. I didnít dislike it at all; it just didnít hold my interest and I fell out of it.

I was a bit disappointed in Hordakís look, initially, but *spoilers* I think it works great in retrospect with their interpretation of the character. Now, what was really disappointing was the characterization of Shadow Weaver: I didnít mind the voice, but rather the voice acting/portrayal, and the dialogue the actor had to work with. Sheís one of my favorite characters (so mysterious) that I just didnít see her speaking like an upset 5th grade teacher!

I thought Weaver was pretty true to the original .

Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    I finally gave this show a chance and I'm so glad that I did. I was reluctant to watch it because after looking at some images I didn't like the art style and I thought the show looked like, I don't know, maybe too childish or something. I have to admit I misjudged it. Watching the first couple of minutes changed my opinion completely, I think it actually looks very nice and, while the show does feel made for a younger audience, I wouldn't call it childish at all.

I just finished watching the first season yesterday, can't wait to start with season 2. This is indeed a great show, the characters and their dynamics are a lot of fun and all the episodes so far have been very entertaining.
    I'm also super late to checking out this show, but I binged through all 5 seasons recently and I absolutely loved every second. Such an amazingly done series from all aspects... writing, characterization, dialogue, pacing, plotting, etc. The representation of different body types, races, sexuality, etc was also handled spectacularly well and I greatly appreciated seeing it.

I don't have much context of the older series... I gave the show and mini comics a shot (the show years ago as a kid and the mini comics in the collected book I currently own), but they weren't for me. From reading the mini comics, it gave me an even bigger appreciation for the direction the creators took with this new series.

I wish I watched this series back when it originally aired so I could have been able to interact with the rest of the fandom in real-time. I'm also bummed that the MOTU and POP licenses are considered separate, so the events of this series won't factor into the story of the upcoming MOTU reboot series (or the abruptly cut short 200X series).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FASAfan View Post
    Late to the thread, but Iím looking forward to giving this series another try. I didnít dislike it at all; it just didnít hold my interest and I fell out of it.

I was a bit disappointed in Hordakís look, initially, but *spoilers* I think it works great in retrospect with their interpretation of the character. Now, what was really disappointing was the characterization of Shadow Weaver: I didnít mind the voice, but rather the voice acting/portrayal, and the dialogue the actor had to work with. Sheís one of my favorite characters (so mysterious) that I just didnít see her speaking like an upset 5th grade teacher!
    I was also initially disappointed in Hordak's look in still pictures before watching the show. But the 2000's TMNT showed me that I shouldn't judge a show on still shots of animation. I've been a lifelong TMNT fan and that show ended up being my favorite incarnation of the series. But yeah, after watching the show I loved what they did with Hordak and the way they portrayed him ended up being perfect for the show.

I've heard a lot of new and old POP fans declaring their love of Shadow Weaver as a character, so I might have had too high of hopes for her. Although I understand her character and the important role she played in the story, she was the character I liked the least. Writing was good, voice acting was good, design was better than the original version (but not as good as the more recent comics design)... but compared to everyone else in the show, meh.

Court Magician
    I got in on the ground floor of the Netflix She-Ra and loved every second, although I'll admit a pang of sadness when they did the episode where Bow imagined the show as a pitch-perfect update of the original, theme song and all... What could've been...

I got my 7 year old son into it recently and he's supposed to be watching it WITH me, but he keeps putting it on when I'm cooking or sleeping, so he's obviously addicted. I found myself telling him, "Bow's my favorite. No, Mermista is. No, wait, Swift Wind. No, Entrapta." I knew it would be awesome based on Steven Universe, which he also loved.

Interesting to see people coming back around to the show now that its overall quality can be thoroughly evaluated. It's too bad about the negative press when it first released. Kind of reminds me of a certain He-Man show that Kevin Smith helmed...
    Last edited by benvoliothefirst; September 10, 2021 at 04:00pm.

Widget
    I have recently seen the show and I have to say I quite liked it and I didn't expect it being not my usual kind of show.

I have some issues with the characterization and use of Hordak, but I liked most of the interactions between characters and the way relationships were built.

Not a masterpiece or a perfect series, but it has a soul, so to speak

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    I'm gonna be honest. I just recently finished slogging through SPOP and the only thing I found that I even kind of liked was Swift Wind's personality. He was a bit spazzy and I found it moderately entertaining.

I'm glad so many people enjoyed it, but I truly found nothing good about it. Obviously these are just my opinions, but... Unengaging stories, horrible art style, juvenile characters and poor writing. When I say juvenile stories, I'm not saying that it was made for children... I mean, the new CGI show is for children, but I did not find it to be juvenile. I guess what I mean is that it seemed more like it was written BY children. There's a difference between being written for children and being written by children (or like a child would write).

I'm not trying to trash it for those who like it. I'm glad its there for you. I don't understand it, but I'm glad it exists for you. But for me, it goes even below NA He-Man on the list of favorites.