Thread: Which will last longer - MOTUO or MOTU Construx?

Heroic Podcaster

Which will last longer - MOTUO or MOTU Construx?

My hope is that both lines get the entire run of classic MOTU characters out in their respective forms but we all know that isn't likely.

So which will last longer?
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

Since it seems they’re going all out with origins I’m gonna say they last longer. Construx are getting a lot of love as well and I do hope they both go on for a while.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

I haven't read any publicized plans for Origins because I haven't been following it too closely. Is Mattel going to re-create the 80s vintage line and then call it quits? Or just keep delving into all aspects of motu until sales numbers tell them to wrap it up?

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultramega View Post
    I haven't read any publicized plans for Origins because I haven't been following it too closely. Is Mattel going to re-create the 80s vintage line and then call it quits? Or just keep delving into all aspects of motu until sales numbers tell them to wrap it up?
    They haven't said BUT we are getting the Target exclusive 200X 2-pack of pre-trapjaw and Keldor and the fan vote was for non vintage so i'd say they will go on until it no longer is profitable!
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

I love the Mega Construx figures and will take every character and variant they want to throw at me....but if Origins can last a good while and we start getting more obscure stuff, and even unreleased or BRAND NEW characters in that style?

That might be my hope/preference...

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post
    I love the Mega Construx figures and will take every character and variant they want to throw at me....but if Origins can last a good while and we start getting more obscure stuff, and even unreleased or BRAND NEW characters in that style?

On the powercon stream with pixel dan, the one with all the origins reveals, one of the people in charge of the line basically said : 'yeah, we've got a lot of the vintage characters planned, and i cant go into detail right now, but after we do most of them...who's to say we wont have some NEW characters, too' Then the subject was quickly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by cminc View Post
    On the powercon stream with pixel dan, the one with all the origins reveals, one of the people in charge of the line basically said : 'yeah, we've got a lot of the vintage characters planned, and i cant go into detail right now, but after we do most of them...who's to say we wont have some NEW characters, too' Then the subject was quickly changed.
    Oh, I remember! I'll take that as...IT'S DEFINITELY HAPPENING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cminc View Post
    Well they're pumping them out at a pretty brisk pace - the line was only started 2 months ago, and there's already been what, 15-20 or so characters released? That's far quicker than vintage, so if they keep it up, a few years into the line they'll certainly have the luxury of being able to do new characters.

If there has to be a choice, my preference would be for Mega-Construx to last the longest - I'm loving that line, it feels different (yet comfortingly familiar!) to anything MOTU has done before. Really hope they fill out the ranks with more old favourites!
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post

Some of the rumors have Green Goddess and Evil-Lyn II as coming out in Origins. If that's true then they are willing to do more that just the vantage toys. Also the fan vote winner was mini comic Triclops and we're getting white costume Sorcerous. So maybe we'll get some more of those odd mini comic colors, Like Green Trap Jaw or pink Teela. Maybe Anti-Eternia figures or "Fakers" other than He-Man.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/24/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    So maybe we'll get some more of those odd mini comic colors, Like Green Trap Jaw or pink Teela.
    I suspect we will see both of those. I'm also hoping for Blue Vest Adam with a plastic vest.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I suspect we will see both of those. I'm also hoping for Blue Vest Adam with a plastic vest.
    That's not a bad idea. Also and shorn Man-at-Arms.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/24/2020

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    My hope is that both lines get the entire run of classic MOTU characters out in their respective forms but we all know that isn't likely.

So which will last longer?
    Do you mean from this point on or overall?

I think Mega Construx has been making Masters of the Universe characters since 2017, while Origins started in mid-2019 with the SDCC exclusives. Mega Construx has a 2 year or so head start.

Overall, I'd say Mega Construx. They're much smaller and probably much cheaper to make. I have my doubts that Origins will last a long time at retail for several reasons, including the target audience and rapid decline of retail.

I hope they last a long time.

Im not getting into the Masterverse line, so I hope they can keep it all going at one time.

I hope they both last a long time. Although after my experence with the Oriigins figures I don't know if they will offer the same play value or appeal to kids and collectors as much as other toys currently available.

Heroic Warrior
    They'll put more into Origins, but the exclusives and whiff's (goofy looking castle, bad head choice for He-Man, a Sky Sled that looks like a child's bath toy, and all the other odd choices), will take their toll on the line. However, MCX is firing on all cylinders, so Mattel will probably miss-handle it, or neglect its development in favor of origins, which will end up killing MCX. It's almost like they have some kind of self loathing thing going on, so that what works is neglected, and what could work very well, is sabotaged by obscenely bad choices. It's very odd; like they can't Get out of their Own way or something, I Don't know. Or like there's some "invisible force" working against them.
    Last edited by nicholighkun; October 19, 2020 at 12:25pm.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    They'll put more into Origins, but the exclusives and whiff's (goofy looking castle, bad head choice for He-Man, a Sky Sled that looks like a child's bath toy, and all the other odd choices), will take their toll on the line. However, MCX is firing on all cylinders, so Mattel will probably miss-handle it, or neglect its development in favor of origins, which will end up killing MCX. It's almost like they have some kind of self loathing thing going on, so that what works is neglected, and what could work very well, is sabotaged by obscenely bad choices. It's very odd; like they can't Get out of their Own way or something, I Don't know. Or like there's some "invisible force" working against them.
    Ugh...

I couldn't even read this past the second line...

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/24/2020

Hopefully Origins. Not just for MOTU, but I've always thought Mega Construx figures to be beyond grotesque. And the Sky Sled looking like a bath toy is one of the funniest comments I've seen so far. I mean, its complete hyperbolic nonsense that's 100% untrue, but still.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I've always thought Mega Construx figures to be beyond grotesque.
    I would genuinely like to hear some extrapolation on this. I am all in for both Origins and MCX as I quite like them both.

Grotesque? Please elaborate. Genuinely curious, not meant to flame or argue.

I would genuinely like to hear some extrapolation on this. I am all in for both Origins and MCX as I quite like them both.

Grotesque? Please elaborate. Genuinely curious, not meant to flame or argue.
    I've always thought the figures are ugly, with boxy features. Either be like Lego or an action figure, but I've always felt like MC try too hard to blend the two together, and the results are not nice to look at.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I've always thought the figures are ugly, with boxy features. Either be like Lego or an action figure, but I've always felt like MC try too hard to blend the two together, and the results are not nice to look at.
    Fair enough! I actually like them much more than Lego mini-figs (blasphemy I know) as they are very poseable and the scale is sweet. Having interchangeable parts is nice as well.

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it!

Fair enough! I actually like them much more than Lego mini-figs (blasphemy I know) as they are very poseable and the scale is sweet. Having interchangeable parts is nice as well.
    This, plus the level of detail on them is fantastic for such small figures. Stratos and Scareglow in particular are things of beauty!
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!