Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Binge watching 'old' television series

Master of New Adventures!
    We're thinking about giving Younger a shot. Anyone watched it?

EDIT:

Meh on Younger.

But we're REALLY enjoying The Office now! Into Season 3. Switching back and forth between watching that and re-watching Schitt's Creek which, imo, is one of the best series ever on television.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 8, 2021 at 08:34pm.

I tried re-watching Sledge Hammer! but that series is awful. It's not funny and the plots and writing are terrible.
    Ususally I will try and finsh the full series but season 2 is a lot worse than season 1.

I've been binge watching The Office over the summer. I am already on Season 7. I never watched the show when it was originally on. I've been letting my kids watch some, but I've skipped over the episodes that sound too adult from the descriptions and watch them by myself later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I tried re-watching Sledge Hammer! but that series is awful. It's not funny and the plots and writing are terrible.
    Ususally I will try and finsh the full series but season 2 is a lot worse than season 1.
    That's a shame, my memories of it from Age 6 are incredibly vague but I remember liking it Then.

It SOUNDS like something I'd like now, but I don't know. Some stuff doesn't age well. Reading about it makes it sound like a less-clever and more bombastic Archer with a twist of American Dad.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; September 6, 2021 at 05:40am.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    That's a shame, my memories of it from Age 6 are incredibly vague but I remember liking it Then.

It SOUNDS like something I'd like now, but I don't know. Some stuff doesn't age well. Reading about it makes it sound like a less-clever and more bombastic Archer with a twist of American Dad.
    I had vague memories of liking what I had seen of it when I was about 8 when it was shown in the early/mid 90s.
    There was a few "good" episodes. Definitely not as good as I remebered or as good as it sounds.
    If you decide to re-watch it it would be interesting to hear what you think of it now.

I had vague memories of liking what I had seen of it when I was about 8 when it was shown in the early/mid 90s.
    There was a few "good" episodes. Definitely not as good as I remebered or as good as it sounds.
    If you decide to re-watch it it would be interesting to hear what you think of it now.
    It's cheap, so I might end up taking that gamble.

What's killing me now is that I genuinely can't recall which Max Headroom I watched back in the '80s; the actual regular ABC TV series, or the British import that aired on Cinemax over here in the U.S. where he's the host of a music video TV show. Going by Wikipedia, it sounds like the latter, but I don't recall if we had Cinemax at that specific point in time so it might have been the ABC show. Although apparently Max himself wasn't in the show much and I don't think I would've had the patience for that as a kid.

Memory is weird like that. Like for the longest time I swore that the show "Sledge Hammer" used the Peter Gabriel song as its theme, when in truth it was just for the TV commercials which I saw all the time, more than I saw the actual show most likely. Stuff like that messes with you.

If I decide to re-watch either I'll be sure and let you know, but it wouldn't be for a while because we're way behind on shows as it is.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

It's cheap, so I might end up taking that gamble.

What's killing me now is that I genuinely can't recall which Max Headroom I watched back in the '80s; the actual regular ABC TV series, or the British import that aired on Cinemax over here in the U.S. where he's the host of a music video TV show. Going by Wikipedia, it sounds like the latter, but I don't recall if we had Cinemax at that specific point in time so it might have been the ABC show. Although apparently Max himself wasn't in the show much and I don't think I would've had the patience for that as a kid.

Memory is weird like that. Like for the longest time I swore that the show "Sledge Hammer" used the Peter Gabriel song as its theme, when in truth it was just for the TV commercials which I saw all the time, more than I saw the actual show most likely. Stuff like that messes with you.

If I decide to re-watch either I'll be sure and let you know, but it wouldn't be for a while because we're way behind on shows as it is.
    I watched Sledge Hammer! on Dailymotion. Unless you watch it there or have it on a streaming service I truly would not recommend wasting money buying the DVD.
    *No once can say I am just angry as it wasn't what I expected and was angry about spending money on the DVD.*
    I actually thought there would be more comedic violence in the series. It's like a childish, less funny, bad version of Police Academy or Police Suad/Naked Gun.

I know of Max Headroom but I have never seen either version.

I watched Sledge Hammer! on Dailymotion. Unless you watch it there or have it on a streaming service I truly would not recommend wasting money buying the DVD.
    *No once can say I am just angry as it wasn't what I expected and was angry about spending money on the DVD.*
    I actually thought there would be more comedic violence in the series. It's like a childish, less funny, bad version of Police Academy or Police Suad/Naked Gun.

I know of Max Headroom but I have never seen either version.
    Fair point, but the show's only 20 bucks on DVD so who knows. Lord knows I've blown 20 bucks on worse things. Might watch a few clips just to see if anything clicks with me, though.

Fair point, but the show's only 20 bucks on DVD so who knows. Lord knows I've blown 20 bucks on worse things. Might watch a few clips just to see if anything clicks with me, though.
    I really would tell you to keep the $20 or spend that money on something else. Honestly you really would just be wasting money buying it.
    No exaduration, after watching it, if I seen the full series on sale for £1 I still wouldn't buy it.

I liked it, rewatched it about a year ago. It's a very silly series, though.

Police Squad! Is objectively better, but I still like Sledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    I liked it, rewatched it about a year ago. It's a very silly series, though.

Police Squad! Is objectively better, but I still like Sledge.
    Might try watching the full series of Police Squad!

I am not keen on overly silly comedies.

Master of New Adventures!
    Kim and I are in Season 7 of The Office and really enjoying it.

I can't imagine writing for that show. It seems to me that a good amount of it is improv, which is amazing. Such a talented cast!

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    I'm on Season 4 of Highlander. I also recently started watching the Crow series. Guess I am stuck in the 90's at the moment.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor-81 View Post
    I'm on Season 4 of Highlander. I also recently started watching the Crow series. Guess I am stuck in the 90's at the moment.
    Cool, oddly enough I was just thinking on The Crow TV series the other week. I really would need to watch all of the Highlander series.

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    Cool, oddly enough I was just thinking on The Crow TV series the other week. I really would need to watch all of the Highlander series.
    Have you watched any of the Highlander movies? I feel like you really need to watch those to appreciate the series. Especially Endgame.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor-81 View Post
    Have you watched any of the Highlander movies? I feel like you really need to watch those to appreciate the series. Especially Endgame.
    Seen them all, even The Source...
    I have also seen the animated movie The Search For Vengeance and several episodes of the animated series which i actually thought was quite good.

Watching through the old Buck Rogers on my lunch break. "I'm just here for the fanservice."
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Heroic Warrior
    A toast to Defenders of Earth which turns 35 this month

RIP Phantom , Lothar & Ming

Also :

Green Hornet 55
    Dogtanian 40
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

To Mark M, speaking about The Highwayman, you can watch all its episodes on YouTube but what I don't really like is that some of the episodes have commercials because the uploader forgot to pause during commercial break while he was recording them via his VCR. As for the credits, however, have an announcement about upcoming shows.
    Last edited by Neophron; September 23, 2021 at 09:31am.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    To Mark M, speaking about The Highwayman, you can watch all its episodes on YouTube but what I don't really like is that some of the episodes have commercials because the uploader forgot to pause during commercial break while he was recording them via his VCR. As for the credits, however, have an announcement about upcoming shows.
    Awesome, i will have to watch it. I actually quite like seeing the old commercials.

Iím watching the original Filmation Masters of the Universe, then Iíll move on to She-Ra, try watching New Adventures, 200X, and probably check out the Netflix version of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, the one that looks all Cyberpunk. Also have been giving Bravestarr and Blackstar a try.
    I am not nice, I am not kind, and I am not wonderful.