Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Binge watching 'old' television series

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    My wife has been watching old episodes of "Midsomer Murders" for a while
    I do have to wonder, its supposed to be a small county, how anyone is left alive in that place at all after that many seasons
    I always felt the same about Murder She Wrote, everywhere Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) went, someone got killed. I'm surprised anybody invited her anywhere. She's coming, quick, bolt the doors and windows! She must have had quite the complex!

It's funny, as a kid, I read a newspaper article (no photo) about Meg Foster (whom I had never seen before) playing Evil-Lyn in the 1987 MOTU movie (before I saw it of course) and I watched an episode of MSW with Meg in it. I saw her name in the opening credits, got excited and wondered what she looked like. I was in awe of this particular lady's eerie aqua eyes and sardonic voice and wondered if that lady was Meg, the same actress who was going to play my favourite MOTU character in the live action movie (which she did). Meg played the murderer in the episode! Years ago, her character's brother had been killed in a negligent accident (involving a construction site and cheap building materials) and she killed the man she blamed for what happened to her brother.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I always felt the same about Murder She Wrote, everywhere Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) went, someone got killed. I'm surprised anybody invited her anywhere. She's coming, quick, bolt the doors and windows! She must have had quite the complex!

It's funny, as a kid, I read a newspaper article (no photo) about Meg Foster (whom I had never seen before) playing Evil-Lyn in the 1987 MOTU movie (before I saw it of course) and I watched an episode of MSW with Meg in it. I saw her name in the opening credits, got excited and wondered what she looked like. I was in awe of this particular lady's eerie aqua eyes and sardonic voice and wondered if that lady was Meg, the same actress who was going to play my favourite MOTU character in the live action movie (which she did). Meg played the murderer in the episode! Years ago, her character's brother had been killed in a negligent accident (involving a construction site and cheap building materials) and she killed the man she blamed for what happened to her brother.
    1. Spoilers!

2.It was a really good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    1. Spoilers!

2.It was a really good episode.
    Sorry about the spoilers, I just thought the show has been around since the 80's and that most people had seen it.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Master of New Adventures!
    Kim and I were initially pleased to find that when we thought Dynasty ended with the carnage scene at the royal wedding, there were actually three seasons left to go. But when we started watching them we soon learned that the series we once loved had gone completely off the rails. Sigh...

We tried watching Mad Men, but it's too slow for us and, anyway, we're underwhelmed after Dynasty and Dallas. We're not sci-fi/fi fans, so that genres out. We like series that are seamy and steamy, like Dynasty, Dallas, The Good Wife and Sex and the City.

Does anyone have suggestions for series we can binge watch? We tried Falcon Crest, but it was meh. Might give Knots Landing a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    My wife has been watching old episodes of "Midsomer Murders" for a while
    I do have to wonder, its supposed to be a small county, how anyone is left alive in that place at all after that many seasons
    I've just started watching it for the first time from the beginning. Enjoying it so far, myself.

I think ge issue with murder vs population is true of most small town murder series (as Mikey points out Murder, She Wrote, but arguably it lends verisimilitude to something like Agatha Christie's Miss Marple when Jane encounters much less murder than Poirot in her works).

You just roll with it for fun I guess. But it probably also explains why so many TV detectives (Ellery Queen, Nero Wolfe, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Perry Mason, etc) were set in a major metropolitan area!

Yeah, you'd think Jessica's Cabot Cove is the Murder Capital of the United States. I think their tourism department has their hands full.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    I've just started watching it for the first time from the beginning. Enjoying it so far, myself.

I think ge issue with murder vs population is true of most small town murder series (as Mikey points out Murder, She Wrote, but arguably it lends verisimilitude to something like Agatha Christie's Miss Marple when Jane encounters much less murder than Poirot in her works).

You just roll with it for fun I guess. But it probably also explains why so many TV detectives (Ellery Queen, Nero Wolfe, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Perry Mason, etc) were set in a major metropolitan area!

The only logical explanation is that Jessica was a serial killer who framed everyone for her murders.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by GBglide View Post
    The only logical explanation is that Jessica was a serial killer who framed everyone for her murders.
    That would be an amazing climax to a reboot series

I've had my suspicions about Angela Lansbury ever since I saw her in the role of Nancy in Gaslight...

Quote Originally Posted by GBglide View Post

Heroic Warrior
    Meg was on Hawaii Five O waaaaay back in the day , 1972 i think

So was a young Chris Walken , Kotto , Loretta Swit among others
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Meg Foster has credits going back into the late sixties as I recall. I know there's a Cannon appearance around the time of 5-0, and an appearance on the Sixth Sense and Mod Squad before.

But the first thing I remember seeing her in (as opposed to catching her in reruns) was in The Six-Million Dollar Man as an alien.

I've been binging some old favorites the last 2 or 3 years actually in between work and school when I get a chance.

Murder She Wrote, Matlock, and Colombo are three of my favorites when I need a stress break.

When I was younger, Murder She Wrote was my favorite, followed by Matlock.

I still love Murder She Wrote, but the show has not aged well at all. The writing is full of conceits and plot contrivances to explain how Jessica is always around for a murder. The police are beyond stupid. How many innocent people do they almost frame?

Jessica a simple school teacher who became a famous writer in Season 1, and instantly she know how many famous people around the world?

She gets chosen to fill in as a senator at one point. It's sooo bad.

The writing is garbage, but Angela Lansberry is so fun to watch, the show is still enjoyable.

Matlock is definitely a product of its time (in a good way), but the premise holds up better than Murder She Wrote.

-----

Colombo is a different story. I recently began watching Colombo for the first time about 3 or 3 1/2 years ago.

This show is on a completely different level than Murder She Wrote and Matlock. The later seasons get that 80s level of tv crap that MSW and Matlock have, but the first 7 seasons from the 70s of Colombo still hold up as some incredible television.

Peter Falk is great as Colombo. There's a lot of subtlety and nuance in his performance.

---------

I also recently watched Star Trek The Original Series for the first time last year. Overall it was amazing. I get why it has so many fans.

It was so refreshing to see classics heroes in action. Spock, Kirk, and McCoy are people you aspire to be - real heroes.

It was also surreal to see a show for the first time and at the same time feel like you've seen many of the episodes already.

It was like an out of body experience.

Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, and South Park have so thoroughly homaged and outright stolen plots from Star Trek I was shocked that some of the episodes I have watched for decades were outright recreations from TOS.

The influence that show has had on the world is immeasurable.

I did some research and discovered that the third season generally considered the weakest, but I did not find it to be that bad. I think most of the episodes I really didn't like came from the second season.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; February 25, 2021 at 11:31pm.

I'm a Columbo addict. I can't count how many times I've seen each episode. You're right about the later years, but imo the early-to-middle seasons get the prize -- and still do -- for the best detective series ever on television.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I've been binging some old favorites the last 2 or 3 years actually in between work and school when I get a chance.

Murder She Wrote, Matlock, and Colombo are three of my favorites when I need a stress break.

I still love Murder She Wrote, but the show has not aged well at all. The writing is full of conceits and plot contrivances to explain how Jessica is always around for a murder. The police are beyond stupid. How many innocent people do they almost frame?

Jessica a simple school teacher who became a famous writer in Season 1, and instantly she know how many famous people around the world?

The writing is garbage, but Angela Lansberry is so fun to watch, the show is still enjoyable.

Matlock is definitely a product of its time (in a good way), but the premise holds up better than Murder She Wrote.

-----

Colombo is a different story. I recently began watching Colombo for the first time about 3 or 3 1/2 years ago.

This show is on a completely different level than Murder She Wrote and Matlock. The later seasons get that 80s level of tv crap that MSW and Matlock have, but the first 7 seasons from the 70s of Colombo still hold up as some incredible television.

Peter Falk is great as Colombo. There's a lot of subtlety and nuance in his performance.

---------

I also recently watched Star Trek The Original Series for the first time last year. Overall it was amazing. I get why it has so many fans.

It was so refreshing to see classics heroes in action. Spock, Kirk, and McCoy are people you aspire to be - real heroes.

It was also surreal to see a show for the first time and at the same time feel like you've seen many of the episodes already.

It was like an out of body experience.

Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, and South Park have so thoroughly homaged and outright stolen plots from Star Trek I was shocked that some of the episodes I have watched for decades were outright recreations from TOS.

The influence that show has had on the world is immeasurable.

I did some research and discovered that the third season generally considered the weakest, but I did not find it to be that bad. I think most of the episodes I really didn't like came from the second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'm a Columbo addict. I can't count how many times I've seen each episode. You're right about the later years, but imo the early-to-middle seasons get the prize -- and still do -- for the best detective series ever on television.
    I'm laying in bed right now and I just finished Murder under Glass. The one with the evil chef.

Earlier today I finished Bye bye Sky High IQ.

I think my favorite episode is actually the very first, Prescription Murder.

I know Colombo isn't fully formed yet, but the killer, the beautiful Katherine Justice, and that pure 70s score really stand out to me.

Also, Gene Berry as an evil murdering psychiatrist gives me distinct Hannibal Lecter vibes even though this predates him by several years.

I've rewatched that episode 6 or 7 times in the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Columbo is awesome. I have seen every epsiode as I got my Mum and Dad the DVD boxet one year as a Christmas present. The last year or two there is a channel here in the UK that shows Columbo nearly all day every Sunday.
    As much as I like Columbo I am not a fan of the late 80s and onwards episodes. The later episodes are very hit and miss.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like "Murder, She Wrote" and really enjoy season 1-5. There are some great episodes in 6-12 but there are some really odd ones.
    Personally I was never that keen on the spy episodes. I quite liked the murders in Cabot Cover or in other small towns where Jessica visits relatives and friends.
    Not bias, but I quite liked the made for TV movie The Celtic Riddle.

I think that Jessica meets the famous people the first time around between episodes and between seasons - she can't solve murders all the time!

Columbo is an awesome show. Pioneered I think the "how catch 'em" style of mystery as opposed to the "whodunit", I think (at least for tv). "Excuse me...but just one more thing".

Matlock is a fun show, but I personally give the edge to the original Perry Mason show for best "attorney solves a crime to clear client" show.

I'm also fond of Diagnosis: Murder, which hilariously crosses over with Matlock at some point (hilarious because **** Van **** plays a murderer in Matlock).

I'm also fond of Diagnosis: Murder, which hilariously crosses over with Matlock at some point (hilarious because **** Van **** plays a murderer in Matlock).
    He also played a murderer in Columbo.

My top five favorite Columbo episodes are "A Case of Immunity", "The Most Dangerous Match", "By Dawn's Early Light", "Death Lends a Hand" and "The Most Crucial Game". Robert Culp is one of my favorite villains, but "By Dawn's Early Light" really gets to me. Never, with the possible exception of during Darth Vader's final moments, have I felt such empathy for a coldhearted murderer than I did for Patrick McGoohan in "By Dawn's Early Light". See, that's the wonderful thing about Columbo. The series often takes something or someone you think you feel one way about and by the end of the hour it's turned you upside down. That's what brilliant writing and acting can do.

Believe me, it's not easy to pick favorites. I watch all episodes over and over and over again. There is much to be learned about screenwriting and acting from them. Boy, does that series ever stand up to the test of time...

I'm laying in bed right now and I just finished Murder under Glass. The one with the evil chef.

Earlier today I finished Bye bye Sky High IQ.

I think my favorite episode is actually the very first, Prescription Murder.

I know Colombo isn't fully formed yet, but the killer, the beautiful Katherine Justice, and that pure 70s score really stand out to me.

Also, Gene Berry as an evil murdering psychiatrist gives me distinct Hannibal Lecter vibes even though this predates him by several years.

I've rewatched that episode 6 or 7 times in the last 3 years.
    - - - Updated - - -

I know what you mean, Mark M. As a huge fan of the series it was sad for me to watch Peter Falk stay with it for too long. He became a caricature of himself and it was painful to watch -- to the point that I can't watch the last season. Like Muhammad Ali staying in the ring for a few too many years, I prefer to watch Columbo/Falk when he was in his prime and to remember hm that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Columbo is awesome. I have seen every epsiode as I got my Mum and Dad the DVD boxet one year as a Christmas present. The last year or two there is a channel here in the UK that shows Columbo nearly all day every Sunday.
    As much as I like Columbo I am not a fan of the late 80s and onwards episodes. The later episodes are very hit and miss.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like "Murder, She Wrote" and really enjoy season 1-5. There are some great episodes in 6-12 but there are some really odd ones.
    Personally I was never that keen on the spy episodes. I quite liked the murders in Cabot Cover or in other small towns where Jessica visits relatives and friends.
    Not bias, but I quite liked the made for TV movie The Celtic Riddle.
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes, Columbo virtually pioneered "the inverted mystery technique" in which viewers first learn who the murderer is and then enjoy the means of catching him. It was a huge influence over many writers, myself included. I used the inverted mystery technique for my first published novel, NO PLACE LIKE HOME, which came a bestseller, with film rights sold to MGM, thus launching me on my forty-year career (he shamefully boasted).

https://www.amazon.ca/Place-Like-Hom.../dp/0491023421

I think that Jessica meets the famous people the first time around between episodes and between seasons - she can't solve murders all the time!

Columbo is an awesome show. Pioneered I think the "how catch 'em" style of mystery as opposed to the "whodunit", I think (at least for tv). "Excuse me...but just one more thing".

Matlock is a fun show, but I personally give the edge to the original Perry Mason show for best "attorney solves a crime to clear client" show.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Recently I've been watching a lot of the original law and order series. It's a pleasant show
    Last edited by Darth Latveria; March 1, 2021 at 05:00pm.

Along with Meg Foster's Murder She Wrote episode, I always liked the one where Jessica was teaching Creative Writing in a women's prison and there was a huge riot and siege with the more dangerous inmates, led by Adrienne Barbeau at her menacing best.

I also love Kellie Martin in the Mystery Woman and Hailey Dean Mysteries series.

Along with Meg Foster's Murder She Wrote episode, I always liked the one where Jessica was teaching Creative Writing in a women's prison and there was a huge riot and siege with the more dangerous inmates, led by Adrienne Barbeau at her menacing best.

I also love Kellie Martin in the Mystery Woman and Hailey Dean Mysteries series.
    There are so many great epsiodes, especially in seasomn 1-5.
    Some of my favourite episodes are:

Paint Me A Murder
    Murder Takes The Bus
    Reflections Of The Mind
    A Lady In The Lake
    Jessica Behid Bars
    Sticks And Stones
    Night Of The Headless Horseman
    Crossed Up
    When Theives Fall Out
    Old Habits Die Hard
    Snow White, Blood Red
    Fire Burn, Cauldron Bubble
    The Sins OFCastle Cove
    The Witches Curse
    Nan's Ghost 1 + 2

I highly recommend Shitt's Creek. Kim and I are totally addicted to it. One episode and you're hooked, for a short time forgetting the world's problems because you're completely drawn in by the characters and are laughing so hard -- the latter being something we all need nowadays.

Have lots of popcorn ready 'cause there's no way you can just watch one episdoe. Imo, Eugene Levy's dry sense of humor is hilarious, although it's probably not for everyone. Look what he did in a short, featured role in Father of the Bride. It's nice that the Shitt's Creek episodes are only 22 minutes of running time.

As an aside, if you haven't seen him in the short films A Mighty Wind and Best in Show, they're definitely worth your time.

Currently I'm watching the following 'old' series:

- Transformers 80's Cartoon
    - Family Matters (The Urk Man)
    - M.A.S.K. 80's Cartoon
    - Bravestarr 80's Cartoon.

I highly recommend the episodeI 'The Price' from Marshall Bravestarr. Harsh but realistic episode. An episode without happy ending but a valuable life lesson perfectly portrayed in a childrens cartoon. It's an episode about drugs and the consequences, a message which i barely see in today's entertainment unfortunately. It's free on YouTube.
    TRADE: I have a mint moc Minicomic Tri-Klops Mattel Creations. I'm looking for the Walmart TMNT figures reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    Currently I'm watching the following 'old' series:

- Transformers 80's Cartoon
    - Family Matters (The Urk Man)
    - M.A.S.K. 80's Cartoon
    - Bravestarr 80's Cartoon.

I highly recommend the episodeI 'The Price' from Marshall Bravestarr. Harsh but realistic episode. An episode without happy ending but a valuable life lesson perfectly portrayed in a childrens cartoon. It's an episode about drugs and the consequences, a message which i barely see in today's entertainment unfortunately. It's free on YouTube.
    Bravestarr was brilliant and of all the 80s cartoons shows the episode "The Price" is definitely the very best highlighting the harsh consequences of drugs.

Heroic Warrior
    Been catching up on some more recent British crime dramas like line of duty and unforgotten. Both very enjoyable series. Now binging on old 60/70/80s horror movies on prime.