Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Binge watching 'old' television series

Master of New Adventures!
    If you like 60s/70s/80s horror movies I suggest you view Matinee, with John Goodman. It was based on B-horror film producer/genius William Castle, who, as an aside, along with Sherry Lansing and MGM, bought the film rights to my first novel way back in 1976. Bill was an amazing storyteller, a showman and quite a character. His early films -- mostly cheesy but always entertaining -- always had a 'gimmick' in them. You'll see what I mean if you watch the film. Bill -- along with Roger Corman and Hitchcock -- was a big part of the early horror genre. He went on to producer Rosemarie's Baby.

Have popcorn. Matinee is very watchable...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107529/

For more on Bill read his wonderful and very readable book, Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare the Pants Off America! It gives inside stories about his career and the Golden Age of horror films. I had the pleasure of doing an early read of the manuscript when he hosted me at his Malibu beach house.

https://www.amazon.com/RIGHT-Gonna-S.../dp/0578066823

This doc on Bill is also a lot of fun. The trailer alone is worth the price of admission.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/spinetingler

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Been catching up on some more recent British crime dramas like line of duty and unforgotten. Both very enjoyable series. Now binging on old 60/70/80s horror movies on prime.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 31, 2021 at 12:59pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Nearly all of the television series I own are from my youth or even older and I rewatch them often enough. I think of these as comfort television and watch them usually at night. There are some I keep in constant rotation: Red Dwarf, The Simpsons, Star Trek TOS, Batman, Batman TAS, MacGyver, Miami Vice, Twilight Zone, Tales from Darkside/Crypt, I Love Lucy.

Other series I own that I revisit every couple years [when I rewatch a series Im usually doing something else, tinkering with a guitar or some new figures]
    Lost in Space-The X-Files/Millennium-Star Trek:The Rest-The Lucy Show-Hunter-Monsters-Bewitched-Leave it to Beaver-
    Masters/POP-Gi Joe/TransFormers-Saved by the Bell-Friday the 13th The Series-Freddys Nightmares-Night Gallery-The Hitchhiker-
    The New Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    [still want the original 50s series someday]

At this point in my life, I like what I like and theres so much content out there that its hard to get into new things. I do watch new programming but for the most part Im very happy living in my nostalgic bubble

PS If you dont know what Red Dwarf is and you are into science fiction and comedies you are mssing out.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Imo, nostalgia is a good thing. "Comfort television" indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    Nearly all of the television series I own are from my youth or even older and I rewatch them often enough. I think of these as comfort television and watch them usually at night. There are some I keep in constant rotation: Red Dwarf, The Simpsons, Star Trek TOS, Batman, Batman TAS, MacGyver, Miami Vice, Twilight Zone, Tales from Darkside/Crypt, I Love Lucy.

Other series I own that I revisit every couple years [when I rewatch a series Im usually doing something else, tinkering with a guitar or some new figures]
    Lost in Space-The X-Files/Millennium-Star Trek:The Rest-The Lucy Show-Hunter-Monsters-Bewitched-Leave it to Beaver-
    Masters/POP-Gi Joe/TransFormers-Saved by the Bell-Friday the 13th The Series-Freddys Nightmares-Night Gallery-The Hitchhiker-

At this point in my life, I like what I like and theres so much content out there that its hard to get into new things. I do watch new programming but for the most part Im very happy living in my nostalgic bubble

PS If you dont know what Red Dwarf is and you are into science fiction and comedies you are mssing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post

I recently just finished Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Its a great series...although I do find the episodes in season 5-7 very hit and miss with season 5 being the worst. I personally prefer The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Just a few more episodes to go to finish it the series.

Kim and I are wrapping up the last season of Dynasty. As usual for a series that lasts that long, it tappers off at the end. But it's still fun to watch drop-dead gorgeous Joan Collins scheming.

We're ready for a new 'old' series to binge watch. We watched the first two episodes of Falcon Crest but we thought it was boring. Has anyone watched Beverly Hills 90210? We like steamy soap opera-y type of series but with good acting and strong plotlines. The Good Wife was a favorite of ours.

Finally finished Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.
    Both are great shows with some amazing episodes.
    Although with ...Presents, seasons 1-4 are the best. Season 5-7 is very hit and miss with 5 maybe being the worst with very feww good epsiodes. 6-7 did have some very good episodes but too many I wasn't keen on.
    Hitchcock Hour is far more consistent with great episodes.

Got wrapped up in watching "Maverick" and "Have Gun, Will Travel." Both are a lot of fun to watch with some really funny episodes
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    If you like 60s/70s/80s horror movies I suggest you view Matinee, with John Goodman. It was based on B-horror film producer/genius William Castle, who, as an aside, along with Sherry Lansing and MGM, bought the film rights to my first novel way back in 1976. Bill was an amazing storyteller, a showman and quite a character. His early films -- mostly cheesy but always entertaining -- always had a 'gimmick' in them. You'll see what I mean if you watch the film. Bill -- along with Roger Corman and Hitchcock -- was a big part of the early horror genre. He went on to producer Rosemarie's Baby.

Have popcorn. Matinee is very watchable...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107529/

For more on Bill read his wonderful and very readable book, Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare the Pants Off America! It gives inside stories about his career and the Golden Age of horror films. I had the pleasure of doing an early read of the manuscript when he hosted me at his Malibu beach house.

https://www.amazon.com/RIGHT-Gonna-S.../dp/0578066823

This doc on Bill is also a lot of fun. The trailer alone is worth the price of admission.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/spinetingler

Bill Castle passed slightly before my time, but I never heard anything but good things about him. Had he jumped ship to MGM when he bought your book rights? I thought he was still with Paramount when he passed.

Coincidentally, it was a Roger Corman production that gave my father his start in the industry back in '68, if I have my dates correct. Completely forgettable dreck entitled The Wild Racers that I'm sure all of three people saw. Notable for starring Fabian, along with Corman "stock company" regulars like Talia Shire and one of the coolest cats to have ever lived, the late, great **** Miller. It had about four uncredited directors and half a dozen uncredited writers, including future legend Joe Dante.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

In 1976 Bill was an independent producer. He, along with Sherry Lansing -- then with MGM -- purchased film rights to my first novel, NO PLACE LIKE HOME. Heady stuff for a twenty-seven year old kid. Those knowledgable about the entertainment industry will know that Sherry went on to become the President of Motion Pictures at Paramount, helming films that included Titanic, Fatal Attraction, The Accused and many others. Sherry, now retired, was an amazing executive and we stayed in touch over the years.

After Bill and MGM purchased the film rights to my novel which, by that time, had hit the best seller list, they brought on Richard Alan Simmons to write the screenplay since, at that time, I had never written a screenplay. Sadly, the script completely butchered my novel, which ended up being unrecognizable. Richard ended up being a producer/writer for Columbo, btw.

A few months after the screenplay was completed, I called Bill and when his wife got on the phone she informed me that Bill had passed away suddenly. I was devastated, because I had lost a good friend.

Here's a link to the novel:

https://www.amazon.com/Place-Like-Ho.../dp/0491023421

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Bill Castle passed slightly before my time, but I never heard anything but good things about him. Had he jumped ship to MGM when he bought your book rights? I thought he was still with Paramount when he passed.

Coincidentally, it was a Roger Corman production that gave my father his start in the industry back in '68, if I have my dates correct. Completely forgettable dreck entitled The Wild Racers that I'm sure all of three people saw. Notable for starring Fabian, along with Corman "stock company" regulars like Talia Shire and one of the coolest cats to have ever lived, the late, great **** Miller. It had about four uncredited directors and half a dozen uncredited writers, including future legend Joe Dante.

My wife and I caught a few episodes of the original Punky Brewster on TV; it was one of my first favorite shows back when I was like 3 and 4 years old, but my wife didn't really remember it. But some channel was playing a series of "Best Of" episodes, so we caught a few, and the next day I ordered all four seasons on DVD for about $25 each. We've been picking through them little by little, although I'm also playing "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" so watching TV isn't much of a priority at the moment.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Has anyone watched Beverly Hills 90210? We like steamy soap opera-y type of series but with good acting and strong plotlines.
    Yes, I watched the entire run when it originally aired, it was a favorite. The early run is definitely a "high school soap opera" of sorts and probably checks the boxes of what you may be looking for. The original cast definitely had a fantastic chemistry and lots of charisma. I don't know if I would say they were all great actors, but you definitely had standouts like Luke Perry and overall the formula just really worked.

The later seasons (like many shows) kind of meandered after their high school days in the early seasons due to cast changes and inconsistent writing. It was kind of special for me since I felt my life following the show a bit since I was still in high school when the series started, then watched all through college, and finally at the start of my working career when the final epsiode aired.

You also might want to check out Melrose Place which was the more "adult" soap opera spinoff set in the 90210 world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    although I'm also playing "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" so watching TV isn't much of a priority at the moment.
    I think I lost a year of my life playing Oblivion back in the day, that is probably still my all-time favorite gaming experience (much as Skyrim was great, I still liked Oblivion more).

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post

I think I lost a year of my life playing Oblivion back in the day, that is probably still my all-time favorite gaming experience (much as Skyrim was great, I still liked Oblivion more).
    I started February 28 and I'm up to 220 hours so far. I don't play every single day and there's about a week off in there somewhere. But it's definitely a blast. I doubt I ever could have given it the attention it deserves outside of the current state of the world, though. Playing it for an hour or two at a time after work just wouldn't be the same; but having unlimited time to deep-dive on it is a great experience.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I started February 28 and I'm up to 220 hours so far. I don't play every single day and there's about a week off in there somewhere. But it's definitely a blast. I doubt I ever could have given it the attention it deserves outside of the current state of the world, though. Playing it for an hour or two at a time after work just wouldn't be the same; but having unlimited time to deep-dive on it is a great experience.
    Coincidentally I just started replaying Oblivion about a month ago - I'd forgotten how brilliant it is. Some of the side quests are fantastically imaginative.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe cartoon review site at https://hemanmotu.wordpress.com/!

Ah yeah, it's great. I'm pretty much at the end of the story missions, finally, but after that I still have the Shivering Isles add-on to play through. Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played, very immersive.

It cuts into my TV time, but I'm at the stage in my life where I'd rather be "doing" something than just "watching" something.

We finished all seasons of Dynasty last night. I have to say, unlike a lot of series, the finale was great. Fast-paced and with a lot of action. Unfortunately, it left a lot of things hanging. Seemed like they thought they were going to do another season. I know there's a four-hour Dynasty reunion and maybe the loose ends will be wrapped up then, but we're going to wait a while until we view it.

On to Melrose Place!

I decided to take on the binge viewing of the original Dark Shadows series. I used to watch it as a kid in syndication, mainly because it was the only horror themed show on during the daytime. Someone gifted me the complete series several years back, and the massive 130-disc set has been on my shelf, daunting and ominous.

The boxed set claims that all 1225 episodes clock in at approximately 625 hours. That's not counting the 30 hours of bonus material. I'm about 100 hours in.

Pros: it's atmospheric and gothic. I mean, it drips mood. Some of the acting is top shelf.

Cons: it's very much a 1960s soap opera, with all of the soap opera trappings. Instead of "John..." "Martha!" it's "Barnabas! Angelique!"

It moves along at a snail's pace. I'm not riveted to the screen. I sleepwalk through four episodes (what would have been the Mon-Thursday episodes) and watch the Friday episodes, which basically serve to recap and resolve that week's storyline and set up a cliffhanger for next week.

Some of the acting is atrocious. The writing ranges from mediocre to average.

The series was shot pretty much live to tape with very little second takes. Actors continually flub lines, props fall over, and in one instance you can see part of the set catching fire and stagehands rushing in to extinguish it. The reasoning was that there was no need for second takes, which slowed production, when it was only going to be broadcast once and viewed by a bunch of housewives and quickly forgotten. This cheapness is endearing to some fans, but it just strikes me as amateurish.

Overall, it's a fun little diversion. I'll see if I can make it through another 500 hours.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Fifteen minutes into Melrose Place and we starting losing brain cells. We're done.

Sigh...

My wife and I are partway through Season Two of the original Punky Brewster. When the original show (and the cartoon) was on the air originally I used to watch it all the time, but I haven't really seen it in almost as long as it's been since it first aired so I wasn't sure how well it would hold up. Thankfully, it's pretty good so far.

The live-action series is very cheesy, but it's not bad at all for an 80s kids' show. There's an innocence and sincerity about it that's very endearing. Not unlike certain other popular shows of the era... like MOTU, for example. Sometimes it's a bit saccharine but at other times it gets into pretty heavy stuff. Overall it's pretty balanced. You can never go wrong with George Gaynes, and Soleil Moon Frye was actually pretty good for her age.

The animated series, on the other hand, doesn't quite hold up as well. It's pretty one-dimensional with most episodes having the same basic plot - Glomer screws something up, and then they have to fix it - and Glomer is not very endearing. He's a very obvious Orko ripoff but without the charm. The actual art and animation was alright, like a lot of 1980s Ruby-Spears cartoons; it's just not written very well, although occasionally a joke lands. And it's pretty neat that they had the real actors from the regular series do the voices, as that was exceedingly rare back then. Having only a couple episodes of the animated series spread out on each disc is actually a pretty good idea; all of the animated episodes taken in one shot would be hard to get through, but taking them two or four at a time as a "light break" between switching discs for the live action series makes it a little bit more tolerable.

So, high marks for the live action series, but I can't really recommend the animated series. I know I liked it a lot when I was three, but... I was three. I think my crush on Punky at that age outweighed my judgment in the quality of cartoon shows, so I probably put up with the cartoon out of "brand loyalty". Watching it now, I just constantly wanna hit Glomer with a DDT.

My wife wants to watch the reboot as soon as we're done with this series, so that's something we'll be doing soon I guess.

My wife and I are partway through Season Two of the original Punky Brewster. When the original show (and the cartoon) was on the air originally I used to watch it all the time, but I haven't really seen it in almost as long as it's been since it first aired so I wasn't sure how well it would hold up. Thankfully, it's pretty good so far.

The live-action series is very cheesy, but it's not bad at all for an 80s kids' show. There's an innocence and sincerity about it that's very endearing. Not unlike certain other popular shows of the era... like MOTU, for example. Sometimes it's a bit saccharine but at other times it gets into pretty heavy stuff. Overall it's pretty balanced. You can never go wrong with George Gaynes, and Soleil Moon Frye was actually pretty good for her age.

The animated series, on the other hand, doesn't quite hold up as well. It's pretty one-dimensional with most episodes having the same basic plot - Glomer screws something up, and then they have to fix it - and Glomer is not very endearing. He's a very obvious Orko ripoff but without the charm. The actual art and animation was alright, like a lot of 1980s Ruby-Spears cartoons; it's just not written very well, although occasionally a joke lands. And it's pretty neat that they had the real actors from the regular series do the voices, as that was exceedingly rare back then. Having only a couple episodes of the animated series spread out on each disc is actually a pretty good idea; all of the animated episodes taken in one shot would be hard to get through, but taking them two or four at a time as a "light break" between switching discs for the live action series makes it a little bit more tolerable.

So, high marks for the live action series, but I can't really recommend the animated series. I know I liked it a lot when I was three, but... I was three. I think my crush on Punky at that age outweighed my judgment in the quality of cartoon shows, so I probably put up with the cartoon out of "brand loyalty". Watching it now, I just constantly wanna hit Glomer with a DDT.

My wife wants to watch the reboot as soon as we're done with this series, so that's something we'll be doing soon I guess.
    I always thought Glomer was cute and adorable and I love both the live action and animated Punky Brewster series. I also love Soleil Moon-Frye as Roxie in Sabrina The Teenage Witch. I might have to have some marathons of my own.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Yeah, those were probably some of the "worse" Seasons of Sabrina, but... I certainly wasn't going to argue with having Soleil Moon Frye back on my TV screen again. I can't remember much at all about those Seasons, other than "She was on them." But that's plenty.

As for Glomer... you can keep him. After about a dozen episodes of the Animated shorts he's done nothing so far but cause constant problems. He makes Orko seem like Yoda. I'm shocked that Punky didn't sit outside every time it rained, praying for that rainbow to show up that would take him right back to Chaundoon for good.

My wife and I have sort of made it a game of barking "YOU SUCK!" at the TV every time Glomer messes something up... which is often. It's fun!

Also, I remember you and I talking about the show's availability on DVD some time ago, and it seems like eBay prices have come down a bit. You can get all four Seasons for about $25 each, on average, which is actually really good, about what they cost when they were new (possibly cheaper, I don't remember what they retailed for in 2004). So, if you're still looking, it's a buyer's market. I doubt they'll ever get any cheaper... unless someone puts out a Complete Series set for $40 or so to try and capitalize on the new show. Which they may yet, but I haven't heard anything. And if they do, it might not have the animated series episodes on it, which the 2004 sets do, and I know you said you wanted those too.

I paid about $25-30 per set for all four Seasons and I'm pretty happy with that. Especially since the show actually holds up pretty well.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; April 14, 2021 at 05:31am.

Started watching Sledge Hammer.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but I'm concerned my watching it would shoot my blood sugar level up to dangerous territory...

- - - Updated - - -

Good tongue-in-cheek series. Silly, but occasionally fun. My longtime friend, Mert Rich, who I worked with at DIC, wrote eight episodes for the series before he went on to Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Started watching Sledge Hammer.

Good tongue-in-cheek series. Silly, but occasionally fun. My longtime friend, Mert Rich, who I worked with at DIC, wrote eight episodes for the series before he went on to Cheers.
    Cool, I will keep a look out for those episodes.

We're now watching Schitt's Creek and it's hilarious of you like dry humor. Unfortunately we're nearing the end and we have just completed all seasons of Dynasty, after viewing all seasons of the original Dallas, Sex and the City and The Good Wife, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We've tried a couple of episodes of Mad Men, Falcon Crest and Melrose Place but weren't impressed.

We're concerned because we're running out of options. We like steamy soap opera-y types of series with compelling storylines and we'd be grateful for any suggestions. Kim's not a big sci-fi fan.

We're now watching Schitt's Creek and it's hilarious of you like dry humor. Unfortunately we're nearing the end and we have just completed all seasons of Dynasty, after viewing all seasons of the original Dallas, Sex and the City and The Good Wife, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We've tried a couple of episodes of Mad Men, Falcon Crest and Melrose Place but weren't impressed.

We're concerned because we're running out of options. We like steamy soap opera-y types of series with compelling storylines and we'd be grateful for any suggestions. Kim's not a big sci-fi fan.
    Never really watched it but from what I have heard about it maybe you should try watching Desperate Housewives.