Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Lucas' Sequel Story (Original Episodes 7-9)

George Lucas' Sequel Story (Original Episodes 7-9)

Heroic Warrior
    Nothing beats The Last Jedi. Ever.

The entire sequel trilogy is masterful.

Kathleen Kennedy knows what she is doing.

The new series greenlit for Disney Plus via Kennedy will certainly be the best of the bunch too!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Another dead villain escaping certain death...no thanks. Can't dead characters just be dead, and instead make someone new and interesting? Is it that hard?

I wouldn't have minded it focusing on Leia, but these sequels should have happened in the late 80's or early 90's if so. I have the same regrets about further Indiana Jones sequels while Harrison Ford was not too old.

Lucas is full of crap.

Yes this sequel trilogy sounds great and no doubt would have been a lot better than the absolute rubbish Disney released. I so wish George had made the sequel trilogy. The only reason Mark Hamill (not sure about the other cast) agreed and signed contracts to do the sequel trilogy is because he believed it would be George in charge of the movies.

This sequel trilogy he had planned is drastically different from the sequel trilogy he claimed he had planed to make a few years ago.

I honestly think Lucas just makes it up as he goes along depending on what merchandise he is trying to sell. Over the years he has revealed and contradicted himself multiple times regarding his inspiration and plot of the original movie and trilogy.

Personally, I think it's kind of pathetic Disney are now trying to make more money from a book of what could have been, after the disgraceful movies they actually made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    ...these sequels should have happened in the late 80's or early 90's if so....
    I completely agree.

Lucas was in charge when he made Episodes 1-3 and those were dreadful. He did not have complete control when he made the original trilogy; that's why those films were as good as they were.

Tis interesting as I saw it posted elsewhere.

I kind of doubt the Darth Maul thing being a thing he was thinking of at that time to be honest.

Seemingly long tangent.

When I created my first characters for Dungeons and Dragons I later started coming up with stories for them. It was interesting to see how these characters changed over the course of time. First it was a fantasy setting, than when I was reading Dune and more into Star Wars (prequels were coming out etc, FF7 etc) it became more of a scifi setting with one character developing a twin brother. As I found religion one of the other characters became more of a messianic type character. Anime influence also started to seep into where I was going with the whole thing, which lead to an idea for an anime and than an idea for a game with all new characters. Both the anime and game had a character who was evil (under the influence) but had become good and the stories had to deal with their life post that. The anime character went and became part of the DnD characters with some different background and the idea became more of a comic book. When returning to the other characters now they were more into a fantasy setting again, religious themes were stripped down to be not as overpowering and much of it got put together. New characters were made but would be part of an earlier era in the universe. Things haven't changed on that front in some time. Other characters were created at various times, some for comics some for other ideas and than I put those together and things worked very well to the point of having most of their story first drafted out, still a few kinks to get out.

Lucas' mind changes on the subject all the time as new characters are introduced in his mind, than he has to place them in the narrative and sometimes they force changes to the narrative. Or it's a concept. To see how this works, look at the walking dead comic and movie, by having a different initial set of survivors the story changes as do various characters. In some cases other characters who technically wouldn't be influenced directly also become different to pose a different threat.

I think what would be a more interesting read for many of us (not all) would be the full process of how this all went through. How the sequel trilogy morphed over time, how other properties came in and influenced decisions (let's not do that another property is doing that and we could get sued for example), how stages in an individuals life changes things having kids raising the kids, etc. I do agree that to some extent making money comes into the picture. We saw this was doing very well so we though to jump on the bandwagon (not at contradiction to the previous statement).
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post

This sequel trilogy he had planned is drastically different from the sequel trilogy he claimed he had planed to make a few years ago.

I honestly think Lucas just makes it up as he goes along depending on what merchandise he is trying to sell. Over the years he has revealed and contradicted himself multiple times regarding his inspiration and plot of the original movie and trilogy.
    If you're refereeing to the sequel trilogy he talked about in an interview with James Cameron a few years ago then that was part of the same treatments of these. There's loads of information out about them in the 'Art of ...' books, Bob Igor's book and other sources where you can piece it all together.

Yes Lucas is a revisionist and has contradicted himself over the years there's no doubt about that but there concept art in The Art of TFA book to back up this for the sequel trilogy Lucas was developing in early 2012 before he sold to Disney.

Personally, I think it's kind of pathetic Disney are now trying to make more money from a book of what could have been, after the disgraceful movies they actually made.
    Actually this book is on the making of the prequel trilogy, this just literally just one paragraph from an interview with Lucas in it and the only time the sequel trilogy is mentioned. But while we're on the subject I'd love to see a comic adaptation based on the Lucas sequel trilogy treatments.
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I'd love to see a comic adaptation based on the Lucas sequel trilogy treatments.
    That could be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're refereeing to the sequel trilogy he talked about in an interview with James Cameron a few years ago then that was part of the same treatments of these. There's loads of information out about them in the 'Art of ...' books, Bob Igor's book and other sources where you can piece it all together.

Yes Lucas is a revisionist and has contradicted himself over the years there's no doubt about that but there concept art in The Art of TFA book to back up this for the sequel trilogy Lucas was developing in early 2012 before he sold to Disney.
    There was a trilogy he talked about in one interview, not sure which, and he discussed the heoes being shrunk down and exploting the world of the whills the beings that are/communicate with the force.

Heroic Warrior
    That could be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a trilogy he talked about in one interview, not sure which, and he discussed the heoes being shrunk down and exploting the world of the whills the beings that are/communicate with the force.
    I remember that. he was really planning on doubling down on the whole midichlorians and explaining the science behind the Force...

Ughhh...

- - - Updated - - -

Lucas is full of crap.

Yes this sequel trilogy sounds great and no doubt would have been a lot better than the absolute rubbish Disney released. I so wish George had made the sequel trilogy. The only reason Mark Hamill (not sure about the other cast) agreed and signed contracts to do the sequel trilogy is because he believed it would be George in charge of the movies.

I would be surprised by that. NOBODY liked working with George. He was famous for micromanaging and refusing to use any of the actor's input. The best movies were when he backed off and let others direct.

- - - Updated - - -

Another dead villain escaping certain death...no thanks. Can't dead characters just be dead, and instead make someone new and interesting? Is it that hard?

I wouldn't have minded it focusing on Leia, but these sequels should have happened in the late 80's or early 90's if so. I have the same regrets about further Indiana Jones sequels while Harrison Ford was not too old.
    And all of this! Anything involving a ressurected Darth Maul would be crap. He had the most solid death ever... cut in half and dropped off a skyscraper... there isn't any coming back. It just cheapens a cool character.

Unless he was a clone... that's a thing that happens there, but the robot legs say it wasn't a clone. So I'm already out. Making Leia 'the chosen one' is also garbage. Anakin was the chosen one... Luke was the Chosen one.. it comes a time when 'chosen one' just gets redundant. So yeah.. not a huge fan of this pitch. It would ahve been just as bad as the current sequel trilogy. That probably looked good on paper too till it was actually filmed and edited...

What REALLY should have happened... was NO prequel trilogy. They should have brought the originals back for a solid sequel (Thrawne or otherwise) back during THOSE years. The actors were still young enough to get away with it without having to kill everyone off, and it could have been great. Waiting 40 years was just too long...

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Nothing beats The Last Jedi. Ever.

The entire sequel trilogy is masterful.

Kathleen Kennedy knows what she is doing.

The new series greenlit for Disney Plus via Kennedy will certainly be the best of the bunch too!
    I am not sure if that entire post was sarcastic or not. I think it is?

But I never understood how so many critics loved The Last Jedi so much. The plot holes were just too large for me to enjoy.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Yeah thats the James Cameron interview where he says “were going to get into a microbiotic world. There’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

Thats form these same treatments as this Maul and Talon stuff. My instincts tell me this would have been a very small part of the film. Some exposition or dialogue about the origins of the Force and how it works, or some climatic revelation at the end. But people jump all over it like the whole trilogy was going to be set in this microbiotic world like Ant-Man or Micronauts style, which I just don't think would have been the case at all.
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

But I never understood how so many critics loved The Last Jedi so much. The plot holes were just too large for me to enjoy.
    Rockinhard posts quite sarcastically on certain topics like this. Most likely based on trying to express their opinion but getting shouted down, so went this route so that some of those who would shout them down might not catch the sarcasm.

the new Star Wars stuff is one of those topics
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Yeah thats the James Cameron interview where he says “were going to get into a microbiotic world. There’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

Thats form these same treatments as this Maul and Talon stuff. My instincts tell me this would have been a very small part of the film. Some exposition or dialogue about the origins of the Force and how it works, or some climatic revelation at the end. But people jump all over it like the whole trilogy was going to be set in this microbiotic world like Ant-Man or Micronauts style, which I just don't think would have been the case at all.
    Unrelated but I hard there is a new Micronauts series and toyline getting released next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would be surprised by that. NOBODY liked working with George. He was famous for micromanaging and refusing to use any of the actor's input. The best movies were when he backed off and let others direct.
    Not sure how true this is but allegedly even the first movies dialoge was so bad that Alec Guiness forced a lot of changes to the script.

Mark Hamill had discussed working with George on sequel movies. I believe it was on GMTV or some other show, seen the interview a long while back. So I do believe he enjoyed working with George and would have been happy with whatever he wanted to do with Luke's character unlike Rian Johnson.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

The Last Jedi especially but the sequel trilogy in general is full of plot holes.
    As for the critics a lot of the critics had motives for loving the movie. Basically getting views for their channels, appealing to certain people, and keepoing on side with Disney etc. Some reviewers that were critical of the movies faults even did U turns and did follow up reviews saying how great it was.
    I still can't believe how some people actually claimed it was the best since ESB....

The end of Return of the Jedi did seem to be setting up Leia to become kind of the main Jedi protagonist. But I think they would have had to have moved on that back in the 80s for it to have worked.

Heroic Warrior
    Not sure how true this is but allegedly even the first movies dialoge was so bad that Alec Guiness forced a lot of changes to the script.

Mark Hamill had discussed working with George on sequel movies. I believe it was on GMTV or some other show, seen the interview a long while back. So I do believe he enjoyed working with George and would have been happy with whatever he wanted to do with Luke's character unlike Rian Johnson.
    Yeah, I know Guiness hated that whole experience. If anyone could get some input acknowledged, it would of been him... Maybe Peter Cushing too. I think they were the only really 'big' names back in the 70's. But I have heard actors mention before that they didn't like the lines and had better ways of phrasing things and George's response was something like "Thanks for the input... now do it how it was written..."

Which honestly explains a LOT about the prequels. There were some great actors in there with TERRIBLE performances...

As for Mark Hamill... He's very contradictory. I take his quotes with a grain of salt. He likes to play to the audience. Say whatever the fans want to hear. I believe that he loves playing Luke Skywalker... but was afraid of becoming typecast, so in the 80's... he probably would NOT have wanted to come back for a sequel trilogy... but now? He loves the fans and the conventions and has a healthy enough career that he would have been in regardless of who was doing it. When the movie gets blasted, he sides with the fans and says #notmyLuke or Not my fault... I thought Lucas was going to be in it or something... but he was pretty excited about getting the band together and woudl have been involved regardless

Maul was brought back ages ago in the 2012 Clone Wars cartoon, returned in Rebels, and had a cameo in the Solo movie. He has developed into a much more interesting character than he was in Episode I. Don't dismiss the idea without first seeing how well his resurrection was executed.

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    The season finale of the Mandalorian can reveal that the Disney sequel trilogy was just a bad dream baby Yoda had.

Then have Sebastian Stan cast as Luke Skywalker in Season 3 and rewrite the entire post-RotJ history.

I think the Retroblasting live stream covered this topic best in the recently.

We could have got Darth Talon....

True but knowing Disney Star Wars she would have looked like this,

captain-marvel-indegenous-comic-book.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    I think the Retroblasting live stream covered this topic best in the recently.
    agreed. Per their stream it did't sound like George's script was that much better, the best we would have gotten is a better treatment for the legacy characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Everyone wants Brie Larson as the lead in the next Star Wars trilogy.

Interesting that Lucas was considering Maul and Talon for the sequel trilogy.

That man lets nothing go.

There was a Darth Maul game in development and during a meeting Lucas insisted they work Darth Talon in someway (apprentice or daughter, etc). He thought they looked like twins.

It's fascinating he was so taken with the idea that he was considering them for the sequel trilogy.

It would have been pretty fun probably.

----------

In regards to Darth Maul being brought back, I never had a real problem with it.

Zabraks have different physiology than humans (they have two hearts), and Maul being cut in half but surviving due to his strength in the Dark Side and his hate is no less believable to me than Anakin getting his arms and legs getting cut off, being burned alive and still surviving for exactly the same reasons.

I've never liked Palpatine coming back though, even in Dark Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Interesting that Lucas was considering Maul and Talon for the sequel trilogy.

That man lets nothing go.

There was a Darth Maul game in development and during a meeting Lucas insisted they work Darth Talon in someway (apprentice or daughter, etc). He thought they looked like twins.

It's fascinating he was so taken with the idea that he was considering them for the sequel trilogy.

It would have been pretty fun probably.

----------

In regards to Darth Maul being brought back, I never had a real problem with it.

Zabraks have different physiology than humans (they have two hearts), and Maul being cut in half but surviving due to his strength in the Dark Side and his hate is no less believable to me than Anakin getting his arms and legs getting cut off, being burned alive and still surviving for exactly the same reasons.

I've never liked Palpatine coming back though, even in Dark Empire.

Well at least Maul was brought back in Clone Wars so there was that possibility

And The Emperor coming back as a Clone In Dark Empire was cool especially since after the prequel's they could have used Kamino as a cloning facility to make multiple clones Of Palpatine...

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Gill View Post
    Lucas was in charge when he made Episodes 1-3 and those were dreadful. He did not have complete control when he made the original trilogy; that's why those films were as good as they were.
    I enjoyed them . I never once thought 1-3 was better or worse than the original .

I dunno why Empire strikes back was considered the best . That was my least favorite . bad guys were winning , the movie left you hanging . Snow base was destroyed . Lando betrayed the pals . Han was tortured then Petrified , C3PO was trashed into pieces .
    Luke the Hero got mauled by a Wumpa , Luke,s tom tom froze to death then its guts zapped open , Luke was made a fool of in Dagoba . Luke got thrashed by Darth pops , lost his hand , screamed from the truth , then tried to commit suicide .

I hated everything in that gloomy gritty movie .

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I enjoyed them . I never once thought 1-3 was better or worse than the original .

I dunno why Empire strikes back was considered the best . That was my least favorite . bad guys were winning , the movie left you hanging . Snow base was destroyed . Lando betrayed the pals . Han was tortured then Petrified , C3PO was trashed into pieces .
    Luke the Hero got mauled by a Wumpa , Luke,s tom tom froze to death then its guts zapped open , Luke was made a fool of in Dagoba . Luke got thrashed by Darth pops , lost his hand , screamed from the truth , then tried to commit suicide .

I hated everything in that gloomy gritty movie .
    Yes I still don't get the prequel hate NOW after that abomination's called Episodes 7-9 people still have to beat a dead horse over and over again...And it has "nothing" to do with being in charge of how good or bad something is..See Lucas based Star Wars out of alot of things (Even true life events) and just because it was "boring" to some (Episode 1) it made sense in the bigger picture..after all people keep forgetting it was HIS baby...And honestly I think there are alot of Star Wars fans that only wanted Episodes 4-6,No sequels,no prequels,no cartoons,no tv shows etc. They ONLY wanted 3 movies...wow how boring would that be....

Lucas's takes with an occasional bump in the road with changing (Retconning) things (Good or bad) and the dialouge was WAY better than the re-hash trash sequel's we got...