Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: George Lucas' Sequel Story (Original Episodes 7-9)

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Yes I still don't get the prequel hate NOW after that abomination's called Episodes 7-9 people still have to beat a dead horse over and over again...And it has "nothing" to do with being in charge of how good or bad something is..See Lucas based Star Wars out of alot of things (Even true life events) and just because it was "boring" to some (Episode 1) it made sense in the bigger picture..after all people keep forgetting it was HIS baby...And honestly I think there are alot of Star Wars fans that only wanted Episodes 4-6,No sequels,no prequels,no cartoons,no tv shows etc. They ONLY wanted 3 movies...wow how boring would that be....

    Lucas's takes with an occasional bump in the road with changing (Retconning) things (Good or bad) and the dialouge was WAY better than the re-hash trash sequel's we got...
    For me... I consider the prequels worse. I consider retconning to be a much worse sin than whatever flaws (and there are many) the new ones did. When you go in with an established backstory... and established rules for the Force and the jedi... and Lucas just flushes them for new stupidity... I hate it. The new ones went in a stupid direction... but they didn't outright contradict the originals. So they are just 'bad movies'.

    As for worse dialog now?!? Really?? What dialog in the new series do you consider better than almost anything that young 'Yippee' Anakin or 'I hate Sand' lovesick Anakin was spouting?!? Not even counting Jar Jar.... Ughhhh...


    Point of fact for me... THe prequels killed my love of Star Wars. Disney failed to ressurect it.... but Lucas and the prequels were what killed it. I enjoyed Episode 1... that final lightsaber fight forgave a lot of sins... but by Ep 2 and 3.... it was dead to me.

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,094
    People put different weight on things they do or don't like as seen in the above statement.

    I still haven't seen the last movie yet, but there is also the issue that generally speaking the consensus is one movie in each was bad, one was acceptable and the other was good just a matter of the ordering on that. PT was bad, acceptable, good; ST was good, bad, acceptable. The good and Acceptable are kind of interchangeable with some people.

    Things like the ordering can flavor the opinion on the individual level, that has mostly to do with your end caps.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    The new ones went in a stupid direction... but they didn't outright contradict the originals.
    Yes they did. Many times over.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    People put different weight on things they do or don't like as seen in the above statement.

    I still haven't seen the last movie yet, but there is also the issue that generally speaking the consensus is one movie in each was bad, one was acceptable and the other was good just a matter of the ordering on that. PT was bad, acceptable, good; ST was good, bad, acceptable. The good and Acceptable are kind of interchangeable with some people.

    Things like the ordering can flavor the opinion on the individual level, that has mostly to do with your end caps.
    Yeah, for me it was more the PT was Good, Acceptable, Bad... and that was mostly just Obi-wan saving the scenes he was in. For a 'Vader origin' EVERY scene with him in it was a disappointment and the closer he got to turning evil.. the dumber it got.

    ST? I don't know... I think they were all on some level 'acceptable'. Nothing great, nothing... well, there was bad, but not enough to ruin them for me. I saw them each once... maybe the first one twice... and that's about it for me.

    I loved Solo, and I love Mandalorian... but the rest of the franchise? I haven't really loved a movie since before Episode 2.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Yes they did. Many times over.

    Nahhhh... they contradicted what people wanted.. what they'd hoped for... the mythology still worked. Just in the most disappointing way possible. It's not really the same thing.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Y

    Nahhhh... they contradicted what people wanted.. what they'd hoped for... the mythology still worked. Just in the most disappointing way possible. It's not really the same thing.
    Sure, bro.

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Nahhhh... they contradicted what people wanted.. what they'd hoped for... the mythology still worked. Just in the most disappointing way possible. It's not really the same thing.
    I disagree that it contradicted what people wanted. That was an excuse a lot of people used about TLJ. All most fans wanted was a good story and characters and that is what they failed to make. I won't go into a rant on all the faults of TLJ or the sequels in general.
    I wouldn't say contradicted...but the sequels definitely had a lot of plot holes in the story.

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    That governor should just say he and his friends were using Force Projection.
    Then arrogantly brush off his shoulder. Because that's certainly keeping in line with the original storyline, unlike Luke in TLJ.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Then arrogantly brush off his shoulder. Because that's certainly keeping in line with the original storyline, unlike Luke in TLJ.
    TLJ was just Rian thinking it was genius to subvert the audiences expectations every chance he got.
    It would have been nice to see Luke use his full abilities as a Jedi Master taking on the First Order...instead of just taking all the hits them turning out to just be a hologram.

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I disagree that it contradicted what people wanted. That was an excuse a lot of people used about TLJ. All most fans wanted was a good story and characters and that is what they failed to make. I won't go into a rant on all the faults of TLJ or the sequels in general.
    I wouldn't say contradicted...but the sequels definitely had a lot of plot holes in the story.
    I would agree with that... except for all the fans throwing a holy fit the moment that Disney announced that they weren't following the expanded universe. Long before the movie was even released people were livid because no Mara Jade, no Han and Leia twins, no Thawne... There was absolutely a 'this isn't what I want' Vibe before the plot was ever revealed.

    One massive downside about the internet and modern fans... So many preconceived biases based on rumors and heresay have devastated the entertainment industry. In the 80's if someone told us 'the next Star wars will suck'... we wouldn't have taken their word for it. We'd have still been in line opening weekend to see for ourselves

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    6,822
    The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker would have been magnificent if only they had been released in the 80's.

    Remarkable filmmaking.

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would agree with that... except for all the fans throwing a holy fit the moment that Disney announced that they weren't following the expanded universe. Long before the movie was even released people were livid because no Mara Jade, no Han and Leia twins, no Thawne... There was absolutely a 'this isn't what I want' Vibe before the plot was ever revealed.

    One massive downside about the internet and modern fans... So many preconceived biases based on rumors and heresay have devastated the entertainment industry. In the 80's if someone told us 'the next Star wars will suck'... we wouldn't have taken their word for it. We'd have still been in line opening weekend to see for ourselves
    To be fair though, it was an exremely bad move on Disney's part scrapping the expanded universe that the fans had somewhat accepted as the sequels and story of the characters. I can understand them wanting to make something new than just making movies based on EU novels.
    But of all the different stories they could have come up with for the characters what they did for the sequels was really disappointing. I could even excuse what they did to the characters if the films had at least been written good. TFA and TLJ basically being story point remakes of ANH andTESB. TROS story was also quite a mess.

    Don't get me wrong I also found the prequels disappointing. Of all the stories they could have made about Obi-Wan and Anakin during the Clone Wars what they did make was pretty boring and not exciting adventures like the OT.

  12. #37
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,369
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would agree with that... except for all the fans throwing a holy fit the moment that Disney announced that they weren't following the expanded universe. Long before the movie was even released people were livid because no Mara Jade, no Han and Leia twins, no Thawne... There was absolutely a 'this isn't what I want' Vibe before the plot was ever revealed.

    One massive downside about the internet and modern fans... So many preconceived biases based on rumors and heresay have devastated the entertainment industry. In the 80's if someone told us 'the next Star wars will suck'... we wouldn't have taken their word for it. We'd have still been in line opening weekend to see for ourselves

    See that is wrong you do not just throw away what ALOT of fans considered the sequels etc (other stories) I love it when people say they didn't like the EU but guess what ALOT more people did and it stood for close to 30 YEARS as story then Disney says..Naa were are going to copy the OT and make our own Agenda about useless and stupid ass stories that don't make any sense.....

    You might have hated the PT and the EU but those were at least part of a plan OR stories that got run past George and they were given the OK to use..

    Funny thing is George got paid how many millions to be an "Advisor" but was never used but NOW after the **** hit the fan they are finally using some of that..........

    Irony.....Or we told you so....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Don't get me wrong I also found the prequels disappointing. Of all the stories they could have made about Obi-Wan and Anakin during the Clone Wars what they did make was pretty boring and not exciting adventures like the OT.
    To be honest if you actually looked up some old concept of the PT before it happened ALOT of those ideas were around WAY back when...See when AOTC was in theatres I took my Dad because that's something we always did was Star Wars & Indiana Jones...

    When Anakin was explaining to Padme after his Mom died he was crying and sobbing my Dad was like really?? I looked at it as he did something out of Anger by himself that 30 men couldn't do...Foreshadowing and doesn't anger come out of fear and sadness?? I NEVER got ANYTHING like that in the ST not a ONE....

    And to all the EU "Haters" Mara Jade,Thrawn and others have been just as OR more popular than some of the movie characters...
    Last edited by Megalodon; November 23, 2020 at 11:04pm.

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior MJOLNIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Yes I still don't get the prequel hate NOW after that abomination's called Episodes 7-9 people still have to beat a dead horse over and over again...And it has "nothing" to do with being in charge of how good or bad something is..See Lucas based Star Wars out of alot of things (Even true life events) and just because it was "boring" to some (Episode 1) it made sense in the bigger picture..after all people keep forgetting it was HIS baby...And honestly I think there are alot of Star Wars fans that only wanted Episodes 4-6,No sequels,no prequels,no cartoons,no tv shows etc. They ONLY wanted 3 movies...wow how boring would that be....

    Lucas's takes with an occasional bump in the road with changing (Retconning) things (Good or bad) and the dialouge was WAY better than the re-hash trash sequel's we got...
    I don't think one has either trilogy to do with one another. Both can be "bad" but obviously for different reasons. One trilogy being what it is doesn't make the other any better or worse.

    I think the prequels were the result of Lucas getting to powerful to take any input or advice from anyone around him. There is no doubt that Lucas's vision made the OT but I don't think it would have been so great without the help he accepted. There are some great aspects of the prequel trilogy, the big concepts of how a democratic society abandons its freedom for empirical rule over manufactured fear is a great topic. And despite amazing performances by McGregor and Neison I think the prequel dies in the trenches and with the dialog. And frankly Anakn was too young. The trilogy should have started with Anakin being the age he is, and as established as he is in the Clone Wars series. Obi wan should have discovered Anakin as a young accomplished officer.

    The Disney trilogy is just the result of a corporation who bought a legacy ip with a cult like fan base and had no idea how to cultivate it. Like Paramount did with GI Joe they treated the IP like a summer fling and we thought we were in a long term marriage.

    I would have been very happy though with just the OT for movies and the Dark Horse comics as the after stories.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post


    And to all the EU "Haters" Mara Jade,Thrawn and others have been just as OR more popular than some of the movie characters...
    Oh Agreed. Thrawn is second only to Vader, and tied with Tarkin (for Imperials) and I've only ever read him in a book.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker would have been magnificent if only they had been released in the 80's.

    Remarkable filmmaking.
    Yeah released, and let float away, with the rest of the garbage. LoL

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See that is wrong you do not just throw away what ALOT of fans considered the sequels etc (other stories) I love it when people say they didn't like the EU but guess what ALOT more people did and it stood for close to 30 YEARS as story then Disney says..Naa were are going to copy the OT and make our own Agenda about useless and stupid ass stories that don't make any sense.....

    You might have hated the PT and the EU but those were at least part of a plan OR stories that got run past George and they were given the OK to use..

    Funny thing is George got paid how many millions to be an "Advisor" but was never used but NOW after the **** hit the fan they are finally using some of that..........

    Irony.....Or we told you so....
    It was inevitable though. What would be even more 'wrong' would be to try and jump start a franchise again by requiring people to track down and read 30+ novels.

    There was NO WAY to make the Thrawn trilogy 30 years later when it took place 5 years later. It just couldn't be done. What they SHOULD have done was make it in the 90's instead of the prequels and kept the story moving forward instead of getting stuck in the past... but George didn't do that either.

    As for Lucas approving everything... That was always an urban legend. Lucas approves what he wants, when he wants and the only thing he EVER considered Canon was what he put in the movies.

    I'm currently rereading the thrawne trilogy and there is a TON of stuff in there dealing with clones and the clone wars that... Lucas flushed for his 'greater vision'. And he absolutely done the same thing for his 7-9 episodes.


    And... honestly... Thrawne is BORING. It would have made a TERRIBLE movie trilogy. It kinda worked as a novel... but there is just as much sitting around discussing politics in this series as there was in the PT. Not to mention multiple chapters of Thrawne stereotyping entire cultures based on their favorite artwork... There's a lot of talk about what a brilliant tacticion he is... but most of it's just handwaved 'because he knows everything'... like a DM adjusting his plot because he's listening to the players... And those are the 'favorite' books. The EU had some real gems in there, but they also had a lot that even the mega fans don't like.

    They could have kept some of the favorite characters... but it was just too big of an animal and there would always be picking and choosing and still ticking off EU fans. That was always an unrealistic expectation.

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior Thrawn29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It was inevitable though. What would be even more 'wrong' would be to try and jump start a franchise again by requiring people to track down and read 30+ novels.
    It's not wrong to require and encourage fan involvement.

    For a franchise like Star Wars it's necessary.

    ----------

    Throwing the EU out was always going to make the most loyal and hardcore fans angry (Not a smart business move) but they could have been easily won back if what you replaced the EU with was as good or better.

    And there was no reason why it shouldn't have been better.

    After 25 years you know what's popular and what isn't with Star Wars. We know what stories are universally applauded by Star Wars fans (Revan, Luke's Jedi Order, Thrawn, Bounty hunters) and which ones weren't (The Vong).

    -------

    I'm a huge EU fan, I have two book shelves full of Star Wars books. I've read maybe 85% of the EU.

    I probably would have scrapped the EU as well if I took over Star Wars.

    The difference is I would have then sat down with a Story Group of actual Star Wars creators (Luceno, Filoni, Favreau, Zahn to name a few) and charted out a course to re-canonize the best parts of the EU moving forward while introducing new stories on the side.

    Big difference between that and what Kathleen Kennedy did.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They could have kept some of the favorite characters... but it was just too big of an animal and there would always be picking and choosing and still ticking off EU fans. That was always an unrealistic expectation.
    Unrealistic expectation? Not particularly.

    Lucasfilm has 25 years of sales data, graphs, charts, conventions, and other data to concretely show them what is popular, critically successful with fans, and financially successful.

    For all the whining about how hard Star Wars fans are to please there are stories and characters that are universally beloved and received positively: Darth Bane Trilogy, Revan's story, Thrawn Trilogy, A.C. Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy, Rogue Squadron books and characters, Darth Plagueis novel, Luke's marriage to Mara Jade and bringing back the Jedi, the Solo kids (Jainia, Jacen, Anakin).

    The road map of which characters and stories the fans loved and what was financially successful is already there. It's not a gamble or an question. The road has already been traveled.

    ----------

    I'm not advocating pure adaptations, but clearly those are the stories and characters you should be sticking too in the range of 80-90% changing the bare minimum you need for adaptation purposes.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; November 24, 2020 at 09:37am.

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    It's not wrong to require and encourage fan involvement.

    For a franchise like Star Wars it's necessary.

    ----------
    I disagree... to a point. Star Wars seems to be the only franchise that demands such involment. Imagine if the MCU started their movies in the middle of everyone's careers with the expectation that the audience was supposed to go read 80 years of back issues to know what was going on? or if they started Lord of the Rings with Return of the King...

    Heck... DCEU kind of did that by starting with Justice League and giving the origin stories in later movies and it bombed pretty hard. EU had a ton of history spread out over multiple media platforms... some of which are kind of extinct now. (I would love to replay Knights of the Old Republic or finish Dark Forces II and mysteries of the SIth again... but can't get a copy that work with my current systems...)

    Disney wanted something that the average audience member can enjoy. As it is, they still expected you to have watched all the original 6 movies to truly get it... but novels are lot more involvement than would be realistic.



    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post

    Throwing the EU out was always going to make the most loyal and hardcore fans angry (Not a smart business move) but they could have been easily won back if what you replaced the EU with was as good or better.

    And there was no reason why it shouldn't have been better.

    After 25 years you know what's popular and what isn't with Star Wars. We know what stories are universally applauded by Star Wars fans (Revan, Luke's Jedi Order, Thrawn, Bounty hunters) and which ones weren't (The Vong).

    -------

    I'm a huge EU fan, I have two book shelves full of Star Wars books. I've read maybe 85% of the EU.

    I probably would have scrapped the EU as well if I took over Star Wars.

    The difference is I would have then sat down with a Story Group of actual Star Wars creators (Luceno, Filoni, Favreau, Zahn to name a few) and charted out a course to re-canonize the best parts of the EU moving forward while introducing new stories on the side.

    Big difference between that and what Kathleen Kennedy did.

    - - - Updated - - -
    now THAT we can agree on. ST should have been better. There were options that it could have blown the old EU completly away... but it didn't come close.

  17. #42
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,248
    Take a fan that has read the expanded Universe and their perceptions of Darth Vader and Luke. Now compare those to someone who has only seen the films. It's a night and day difference.


    There were A LOT of fans that enjoyed those novels and comics. A lot of backstory was finally told. And the new movies, IMO, actively looked to not only NOT use those stories, but to completely discredit them.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Thrawn29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I disagree... to a point. Star Wars seems to be the only franchise that demands such involvement.
    I don't know a lot about Star Trek but I would wager Next Gen, Deep Space 9, and Voyager require at some familiarity with each other and are expecting fans who are watching to have at least some consumed some other portion of the franchise.

    Imagine if the MCU started their movies in the middle of everyone's careers with the expectation that the audience was supposed to go read 80 years of back issues to know what was going on? or if they started Lord of the Rings with Return of the King...
    How does this related to discarding the EU?

    The argument against the EU was that there was too much of it.

    If you're a fan who loves the franchise that's a good thing. There's more content to consume and different forms of entertainment (comics, novels, video games, etc).

    For argument's sake if you're adapting the EU then you're still building off the OT and PT that all general audiences have seen.


    Disney wanted something that the average audience member can enjoy.
    It doesn't get much more general audience accessible than Star Wars movies. Hence the financial success and its penetration into the pop culture.

    On top of that, Disney continued the movie franchise by...making sequels. It was explicitly marketed as Episodes 7,8,9.

    As it is, they still expected you to have watched all the original 6 movies to truly get it
    Those monsters. How dare they expect movie goers who want to watch a Star Wars movie advertised as the 7th sequel in a franchise go back and watch the 6 prior movies.

    That's just too much to ask the audience.



    ... but novels are lot more involvement than would be realistic
    You can reprint material.

    And it's not unrealistic.

    If you have fans of a property, they will seek out and learn more about it.

    Keep or don't keep the EU, the movies are still more or less stand alone just as a good deal of the EU novels and comics were.

    Having lore and source material enriches the property.

    Star Wars is primarily movie-centric by about 90%.

    All the EU and comics revolve around the movies and if you were to adapt the old EU into TV series or movies that wouldn't change (Which they're not going to do.)

    Aside that from that, it's easier than ever to understand expansive properties like Star Wars, Star Trek, or Tolkien.

    You just go to Wikipedia or Youtube.

    When I read the Silmarillion as a 12 or 13 year old, it was hard. There was no internet I could go to and have the book explained to me.

    This all this all academic at this point. Star Wars is a dying brand, largely devalued in a remarkable 5 years under Kathleen Kennedy and Disney's management. The old EU is dead, and quite frankly I don't want them touching the EU.

    -----------------

    Disagreements aside, thank you for the conversation.

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    198
    i was a huge fan of star wars the original trilogy as a kid and collected the toys as avidly as i did motu. i hated the prequels not mainly because of the storyline being too convoluted but because they didn't feel like star wars movies and felt like computer games with live actors in the scenes. however my lad loved them. we both went to see the most recent trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed them because they felt like star wars movies. i might be a minority in that but so be it. but i also loved the ewoks caravan of courage and the battle for endorsing, solo sucked and rogue one was probably my fave star wars film

  20. #45
    Broncos lovin' admin! dorrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    16,204
    Guys, if you want to discuss politics, please take it to the Tar Swamp.

    Posts have been edited/deleted.

  21. #46
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    6,745
    Another Star Wars thread? Okay.

    Since it was inevitably going to turn into a PT vs OT vs ST, here are my thoughts:

    Disney had TONS of fantastic material that had been a part of the Star Wars canon for ages. Most of it authored by highly respected artists, writers, and developers. Many of the stories that Disney wanted to tell could have easily been adapted from these sources (this would have appeased old fans and been something new and awesome for the uninitiated).

    The problem? Disney threw out these resources/ideas to make their "own" versions of what came before, during and after the OT... sadly, it was a cheap knockoff of the stories already told by better creators.

    The most unforgivable aspect is that they set out to kill off the heroes that every fan (old and new) loved, in order to make way for sub-par 'clones' that they think resonate with young fans, and so that they could cash in on tons of new merchandise.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  22. #47
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,369
    I was hoping in the ST more like the EU stories:

    Luke Became A Jedi Master and started a Jedi Academy for the next generation
    Mara Jade Skywalker (Nuff said)
    Thrawn as what he was in Heir to the empire
    Clone Palpatine from the Dark Empire comics (This could have been a cool story to have luke turn then like his father go back to the light
    Crimson Empire

    One of my FAVORITE EU stories was all about the backstory of the Emperor's Royal Guard and it was new characters that fit into the SW Mythos





    They could still do this story and it would be awesome because it went 3 different series...

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I don't know a lot about Star Trek but I would wager Next Gen, Deep Space 9, and Voyager require at some familiarity with each other and are expecting fans who are watching to have at least some consumed some other portion of the franchise.



    How does this related to discarding the EU?

    The argument against the EU was that there was too much of it.

    If you're a fan who loves the franchise that's a good thing. There's more content to consume and different forms of entertainment (comics, novels, video games, etc).

    For argument's sake if you're adapting the EU then you're still building off the OT and PT that all general audiences have seen.
    .
    Because the actors are OLD...

    If they were to 'keep the EU'... they would have had to pick up the books when the twins were in their 20's and Luke and Han were 50+... Way too much of a gap there, with arguably the best stuff still back when they were younger. Like I said, EU would ahve been awesome in the 90's... but post Disney, just wasn't feasable.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    It doesn't get much more general audience accessible than Star Wars movies. Hence the financial success and its penetration into the pop culture.

    On top of that, Disney continued the movie franchise by...making sequels. It was explicitly marketed as Episodes 7,8,9.



    Those monsters. How dare they expect movie goers who want to watch a Star Wars movie advertised as the 7th sequel in a franchise go back and watch the 6 prior movies.

    That's just too much to ask the audience.
    That's kind of my point. To watch all the movies... it takes about 12 hours and maybe $20. To keep up to date with the novels it would take years and hundreds of dollars. That's not realistic to expect an average audience member to do. to drop people into the movie of one of the later books without all the stories leading up to it... would be a confusing disaster.

    And honestly, I think it's pretty big mistake. I think one of the strengths of Star Wars as a property... was that it was uniquely 'movie'. There were no novels of the movies that people would be screaming about how they didn't do the book justice.. .or the casting of a character was wrong... or how they cut too much to get into a 2 hour movie... Return of the Jedi... was Return of the Jedi. The actors were the actors... there were no preconcieved notions of what was right and wrong when that came out. I remember sitting with some Harry Potter fans who grumbled through half the movies because 'too much was wrong'... Imagine what the Star Wars fans would be like


    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post

    This all this all academic at this point. Star Wars is a dying brand, largely devalued in a remarkable 5 years under Kathleen Kennedy and Disney's management. The old EU is dead, and quite frankly I don't want them touching the EU.

    -----------------

    Disagreements aside, thank you for the conversation.
    No problem It can be fun when done respectfully ^_^

    as for dying? I'm not so sure... A couple years ago I would have agreed about it dying, but then we got Mandalorian. That seems to be firing on all cylinders and reigniting some Star Wars love again. We'll have to see if the Old Republic Jedi stuff can keep it going... There's still a flicker of life support in the property.

  24. #49
    Widget Jeremiah2849's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    i was a huge fan of star wars the original trilogy as a kid and collected the toys as avidly as i did motu. i hated the prequels not mainly because of the storyline being too convoluted but because they didn't feel like star wars movies and felt like computer games with live actors in the scenes. however my lad loved them. we both went to see the most recent trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed them because they felt like star wars movies. i might be a minority in that but so be it. but i also loved the ewoks caravan of courage and the battle for endorsing, solo sucked and rogue one was probably my fave star wars film
    I don't like the prequels at all (rewatched them again recently after many years and like them even less the second time around), but don't agree they didn't/don't feel like Star Wars movies. I thought the feeling was the only thing they got right. They certainly feel like Star Wars movies, they just aren't very good ones.

    It's the sequels with their slow motion bullet time / deeewwww / whomp whomp whomp nonsense that don't feel like Star Wars. The sequels felt like exactly what they were -- Disney Star Wars movies directed by JarJar Abrams.

    It's an easily rectifiable dilemma, however. In my world there are only 3 Star War movies. Nothing else counts.

  25. #50
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah2849 View Post
    In my world there are only 3 Star War movies. Nothing else counts.
    6 For me and everything counts for Star Wars for me EXCEPT:

    1.Solo
    2.Rogue One (AKA Dark Forces)
    3.Episode 7-9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •