Thread: Stripping the paint off a vintage MOTU

Widget

Stripping the paint off a vintage MOTU

Hi guys

Anyone here strip the paint off a vintage Heman figure before?
    Particularly a soft head?

If so, I would love some advice on what to use.
    Acetone?
    Rubbing Alcohol?
    Paint thinner?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by clayrebel View Post
    Hi guys

Anyone here strip the paint off a vintage Heman figure before?
    Particularly a soft head?

If so, I would love some advice on what to use.
    Acetone?
    Rubbing Alcohol?
    Paint thinner?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I've never needed to remove more than odd paint scuffs. I use rubbing alcohol for that (with a cotton bud) and it works well. It has the advantage that it washes off easily and doesn't stink like acetone.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I am not sure exactly how it would react with the rubber on a MOTU figure compared to an Action Man, but it seemed to do a great job HERE, and that is brake fluid.

I find it interesting that this question comes up now that folks are trying to get $4k for a WB He-man on ebay...
    But, here you go. Soak the head in Eazy-Off oven cleaner for a few hours and use a stiff toothbrush to remove any paint. Works really well and won't damage the rubber head.

Quote Originally Posted by jzguitars View Post
    I find it interesting that this question comes up now that folks are trying to get $4k for a WB He-man on ebay...
    But, here you go. Soak the head in Eazy-Off oven cleaner for a few hours and use a stiff toothbrush to remove any paint. Works really well and won't damage the rubber head.
    Lol. Thatís why Iím content with my custom.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Widget
    Thanks guys!

Yes, i am trying to make my own wonderbread Heman as I definitely do not have thousands of dollars to spend on a toy.
    I figured I strip the paint off to have a clean surface for fresh paint

Attempting to use both a Fisto and a Heman for the custom.

Yes, I am trying to make my own wonderbread Heman as I definitely do not have thousands of dollars to spend on a toy. I figured I strip the paint off to have a clean surface for fresh paint.
    You definitely do not need to strip the paint off. A good clean is more than sufficient. If the surface is sticky or tacky then it still merely needs a good clean to remove that and then you are good to go.

Widget
    Just to update anyone who were also curious on this topic,

I used rubbing alcohol with absolutely no affect.
    I proceeded to using brake fluid, although it removed a tiny bit of paint, didn't really do it quite well.
    I didn't have any eazy off, but had other oven cleaners and tried that but the affects were similar to brake fluid, removing a little but not entirely.

I took a second figure and used acetone, but it literally destroyed the plastic. The plastic began to melt, with just a small droplet.
    Lesson learned, be cautious with acetone.

I think the brake fluid and oven cleaner were the winners, but as I said, nothing removed the paint completely, but it is enough to splash a new coat of fresh paint over it.

Just to update anyone who were also curious on this topic,

I didn't have any eazy off, but had other oven cleaners and tried that but the affects were similar to brake fluid, removing a little but not entirely.
    Use Eazy-Off specifically, that brand, and not the odor free natural one either. Use the old school stinky version, let it soak for a few hours (over-night even) and the paint should easily come off with a stiff tooth brushing. I've also tried other brands and they don't work, there is something in eazy-off specifically that does the job, but you MUST let it soak for a few hours.

Widget
    Hi jzguitars,

Do you think EZ off cleaner (yellow conister) would work on the plastic bodies as well?
    I'm trying to find a way to strip the paint on the belt.

I use biostrip 20 for stripping plastic warhammer miniatures and it even shifts black spray primer, it works fast, doesn't stink and the plastic is unharmed not tried it on rubbery plastic like figure heads though....
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

"everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

Hi jzguitars,

Do you think EZ off cleaner (yellow conister) would work on the plastic bodies as well?
    I'm trying to find a way to strip the paint on the belt.
    I've used it on plastic bodies as well and it seems to work fine. If you want to strip the belt, I wouldn't soak the whole figure, maybe remove the legs and only soak up to the painted belt. Try to avoid getting any fluids inside the upper body as it may eventually damage the waist spring.
    Keep in mind, there's no "easy" way. Even with Eazy-Off, there will be some scrubbing required to get the paint off completely.

Widget
    Jzguitars, I sent you a PM. Not sure if it was successful as I've been having issues sending Private messages for some reason.

@clashfromjem, I believe the paint used on warhammer figures are much weaker compared to what Mattel uses on their MOTU figures. Not sure if biostrip 20 would work, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the U.S.