Thread: Sunday Comic Promotional from August 29, 1982: He-Man's Quest

Court Magician Springor Spanior's Avatar

Sunday Comic Promotional from August 29, 1982: He-Man's Quest

I found something I had never seen before, so I thought I would post about it. On Sunday, August 29, 1982, a promotional He-Man comic strip called "Masters of the Universe in He-Man's Quest" ran in numerous newspapers across the country. Kids were tasked with finding and coloring the power sword in the final frame of the comic, and then mailing it in for chance to win a role in a DC comic. The comic strip is copyrighted to DC comics. The very brief story seems somewhat inspired by the mini-comic He-Man and the Power Sword.

I have attached the clearest, crispest print I could find. This one was in the funny pages, next to Heathcliff.

He-Man's Quest.png

- - - Updated - - -

And here is another promotional DC comic from September 12, 1982 called "The Masters of the Universe in The Secret of Castle Grayskull". This one also ran in newspapers around the country. The task presented in the final frame is to find the sword in the weapons rack that matches the Power Sword.
    The Secret of Castle Grayskull.png

I am somewhat technologically challenged, so I haven't yet figured out how to post the images properly instead of as little attachments. There is also a third one from September 26, 1982 called Skeletor's Trap, with a little maze puzzle in the final frame.
    Last edited by Springor Spanior; November 22, 2020 at 01:56am.
    I'm losing my edge, but I was there. LCD Soundsystem

Quote Originally Posted by Springor Spanior View Post
    I found something I had never seen before, so I thought I would post about it. On Sunday, August 29, 1982, a promotional He-Man comic strip called "Masters of the Universe in He-Man's Quest" ran in numerous newspapers across the country. Kids were tasked with finding and coloring the power sword in the final frame of the comic, and then mailing it in for chance to win a role in a DC comic. The comic strip is copyrighted to DC comics. The very brief story seems somewhat inspired by the mini-comic He-Man and the Power Sword.

I have attached the clearest, crispest print I could find. This one was in the funny pages, next to Heathcliff.

He-Man's Quest.png

- - - Updated - - -

And here is another promotional DC comic from September 12, 1982 called "The Masters of the Universe in The Secret of Castle Grayskull". This one also ran in newspapers around the country. The task presented in the final frame is to find the sword in the weapons rack that matches the Power Sword.
    The Secret of Castle Grayskull.png

I am somewhat technologically challenged, so I haven't yet figured out how to post the images properly instead of as little attachments. There is also a third one from September 26, 1982 called Skeletor's Trap, with a little maze puzzle in the final frame.

Yup, I found those too! Pretty great little comics. I also have color versions that I saved from ebay auctions a while back.

He-Man historian
    I think board member joseephus has atleast 2 in hand, and has scanned them to show on facebook some years ago.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I think board member joseephus has atleast 2 in hand, and has scanned them to show on facebook some years ago.
    Yeah, Joe got those awhile back. There are three of them. Two are archived here (in color):

https://www.he-man.org/publishing/su...d=52&subid=153
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com