Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power-Con: The toyline?!

Power-Con: The toyline?!

So in the latest update it was mentioned a new, non motu related line of figures would be made. I figured we should have a thread devoted to it.

Thoughts? Speculation?

Iím all for it. It sounds like what the four horsemen did years ago with their Fantastic Fanatics line.

Text is below.

Power-Conís own toy line
    This is an announcement that may surprise some of you, but it will make a lot of sense to many fans.

Power-Con is fan-built. While it has a focus on a love for He-Man and She-Ra, Power-Con has always supported indy projects from within our community. Outstanding fan comics and toy lines have been featured at Power-Con over the years and many have been very successful.

In order to remain fan-focused for years to come, Power-Con needs its own toy line that embodies our fandom. It wonít be a He-Man and She-Ra toy line because we have Mattel to make those awesome toys! Instead, this will be a unique line for the fans of He-Man, She-Ra, and other related types of toy lines.

A big aspect of this line is that it will be created in part from fan feedback. From the genre, to the level of articulation, to the packaging, to the style, every bit of this line will be created using fan influence. Your feedback from polls is what will shape this line from start to finish.

And for the polling, we will use data from the fans who support Power-Con. One thing we learned from He-Man.Org polls in the past is fans who make a purchase are the ones who want to be influence how that money is spent. So when shaping the initial look of this line, we will be polling all the fans who have supported Power-Con in 2019 and 2020 with ticket and exclusive purchases directly from Power-Con.

Another factor where we will aim to make this Power-Con indy line more fan-oriented is the price. While making money is great, we also donít want to price anyone out of supporting this line. Therefore, we will be experimenting with what we call ďsliding scale funding.Ē What this means is we will distribute all costs across a variable quantity of figures. Starting out this will just be one or two figures, but we hope it will be a big success and grow well beyond that. Because the sliding scale works by telling you how many are made for the pre-order price, it also means you know the rarity of what you are pre-ordering. But most importantly, the more units that are pre-ordered means a more affordable toy line for all.

Another aspect this line will incorporate is our community talent. While we already have a lot of amazing talent interested in working on this concept, we also want fan involvement. So if your dream is to help create toys, this could be a chance to show the world what you are capable of.

Fans know what fans want and it only makes sense to use fan input from start to finish. This is a line of action figures that will be for our fan base, and it represents a big part of what Power-Con is about. We will have more about this in the near future. For now, weíd like to hear your early impressions of the line, and start getting feedback that can contribute to the initial polling.
    cogito ergo doleo

Very interesting. I personally believe they need to be done in the classics scale. Updated bucks would be fine, but they need to fit in with the world of motuc, thundercats ultimates and TMNT ultimates.

Very interesting indeed.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Yeah, I saw this too but something about it- I guess it hasn't quite sunk in without the aid of visuals or more specific details what exactly this is going to end up being. Looking forward to finding out more about it though.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm really excited for this. I'm gonna be supporting it all the way. I'm really hoping it has a similar aesthetic to MOTU and gets weapons packs.

I assume it'll be in Classics scale, but I'm hoping that sometime down the road we'll get it in 5.5 (preferably in Origins style, but vintage would be cool too).

Also, will Danielle be doing the writing bios or comics if we get them?

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    I think MOTU fandom has enjoyed the Classics buck a lot, there are so many resources for customizing, so many wild and awesome ideas out there, kits that are sold for customizing of a Classics base figure, etc. So, it would make sense to use that buck for whatever line this initiative ends up being.

Personally I would like something with the characteristic of being blended with MOTUC, so a mix of fantasy and sci-fi would be OK. For example, I've been mixing ML and MOTUC with some cherry-picked figures.

It's a pity only direct supporters of Power-Con products will be surveyed. I've been supporting Power-Con through some good-hearted people that actually goes there to buy the exclusives (so I order through them) or we group together to buy 3-packs. As much as I dream of going there some year, the probability of doing it is low, because I'm an international fan, would be really costly for me.

Well, I wish this ends up a very attractive opportunity for MOTUC collectors.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Hmm, could this be an official un-offcial MOTU knock-off line with Mattel's blessing? That would be hilarious.

If they can fit in with Classics and look and feel like unofficial extensions of the MOTU Classics line (after all, the worlds within MOTU can contain many beings we've never seen before), I will be all for it. Otherwise, it might be a hard sell for me.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Hmm, could this be an official un-offcial MOTU knock-off line with Mattel's blessing? That would be hilarious.
    My thoughts, exactly ! I mean, it is tricky, indeed, but, one may imagine that pursuing our beloved line under a different banner might be the
    only way to go moving forward. A lot of fellow fans, myself included have speculated several times over the many viable options
    to get there, for example: renaming the licence while categorizing various characters species instead of naming them.
    Judging by the informations shared in this article, I just can't help but smiling.

However I wonder what their polls will be based on?
    I think that setting some Create a contest character on a yearly basis would be more promising for fans willing
    to complete what Classics couldn't offer to us. It'd be definitely fun to slightly revisit key characters's design
    such as Sagitar if it is the only way to get him eventually.
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; November 24, 2020 at 12:54pm.
    WATCH THE OUTSTANDING NEW MUSIC VIDEO "Almighty's Hand" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9ld7ynu6w
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    It'd be a great way to get more Classics compatible bucks, armors, heads, and weapons out.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    I think that setting some Create a contest character on a yearly basis would be more promising for fans willing
    to complete what Classics couldn't offer to us. It'd be definitely fun to slightly revisit key characters's design
    such as Sagitar if it is the only way to get him eventually
    THIS! THIS! THIS!
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

I am 100% cool with this being a generic / knock-off line as long as it results in a few great looking Fantasy figures that are under $30 a pop.

Cannot wait to hear more info!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; November 24, 2020 at 05:16pm.
    Odd Man Out

This is whatever it turns into. Fan influence on what direction we go in will be a big factor.

This line has nothing to do with Mattel. It's a Power-Con-only thing. And it's rooted in the show's fan'centric design, and a love for many types of toy line.
    But, who knows? Maybe if we create something awesome that everyone loves, maybe Mattel will be interested and there could be other possibilities?
    There's no telling!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2020!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Wow this could really go in any direction. Let the polls begin!

Seems like a great opportunity to do lots of fun and creative barbarian/fantasy/sci fi characters that could fit onto people's MOTU shelves, despite not being actual MOTU

Botcon did something like this for Transformers, it started out cool, but after a while it got to be too much, and too expensive.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 1/16/2021

Iím voting for Blackstar, Sunspell, and Moon Mystic.
    Danielsan52

Most wanted Classics figures:
    Stretch Neck, Vypor, Sharella, Secret Liquid of Life Teela, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Princess Rana, Golden Rod/Aramesh, RoboWoman, Prince Dakon, Shezar, NA Sorceress, Ultimate Goddess, Lt. Andra

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    If they can fit in with Classics and look and feel like unofficial extensions of the MOTU Classics line (after all, the worlds within MOTU can contain many beings we've never seen before), I will be all for it. Otherwise, it might be a hard sell for me.
    I feel the same way.

Part of me thinks I could be interested in vintage style figures, but I don't even feel tempted to buy those cool niche Realm of the Underworld https://underworldfigures.com or the Super7 Filmation re-dos from the other year. I was only really excited about He-Ro and Eldor, so personally, it's Masters of the Universe 1988 figures or bust for me with the vintage style.

Having random monster guys that are compatible with Masters of the Universe Classics and the current Ultimates would be up my alley.

Let me add, even though I am amazed by many of the sculpts, I don't buy many Mythic Legions minus a few of the females. I guess I want a fun vibrant Classics figure with some Four Horsemen detail. That's how I got suckered into buying the Ultimates Toxic Avenger.

I don't have the space and desire to dedicate to a new line different from Classics and Ultimates, but a true vibrant complimentary line, I'm in!

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but...a line of toys from the epitome of MOTU fanatics...that won't be MOTU isn't exactly appealing to me. Besides the fact that we have origins, upcoming Masterverse, still completing the vintage collections, and some still collecting classics, there's not much budget left for a line that isn't MOTU. I truly hope it's a huge success and helps keep Power-Con going, but I don't see myself getting into this one. But who knows, gotta see it first I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Seems like a great opportunity to do lots of fun and creative barbarian/fantasy/sci fi characters that could fit onto people's MOTU shelves, despite not being actual MOTU
    Something akin to Galaxy Warriors/Fighters/Heroes? Count me the heck in!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    This is whatever it turns into. Fan influence on what direction we go in will be a big factor.

This line has nothing to do with Mattel. It's a Power-Con-only thing. And it's rooted in the show's fan'centric design, and a love for many types of toy line.
    But, who knows? Maybe if we create something awesome that everyone loves, maybe Mattel will be interested and there could be other possibilities?
    There's no telling!
    So am I right in envisioning this kind of being handled the same way the four horsemen did their fan figures where people vote on different rounds such as scale, then articulation, then character, color, etc?
    Last edited by King Kahn; November 24, 2020 at 06:20pm.
    cogito ergo doleo

Count me among those who'd be all-in with a Classics-compatible fantasy/sci-fi line. Characters that look like they came from the MOTU universe using the same style and scale as the Classics figures. I'd buy that up in a heartbeat. Anything else -- particularly anything else done in a different scale and style -- would be a pass. My collection is too big (and I'm getting too old) to shift gears on what I collect at this point.

Heroic Warrior
    If they are like 50 a pop and on a classics buck, I'll support. If not then I doubt it. Love the idea. I'm just selective on the stuff I collect. S7 got me with the ultimates cause of the motuc buck and shared scale and articulation. If Val and gang can do the same and have the same price point then I'll take a swing. Community talent means evil mike. That dude is phenominal. Maybe even get joe amato.
    Last edited by unclassified; December 1, 2020 at 10:43am.

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    If they are like 50 a pop and on a classics buck, I'll support.
    Too rich for my blood, but I could definitely see that.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 1, 2020 at 04:55pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Too rich for my blood, but I could definitely see that.
    To me itíll depend on how many there are. Iím into the Super 7 Ultimates, but they announce the waves in such quick succession that it becomes very difficult to order every figure I want, so Iím forced to be very selective and intentional in what I get.

So if the Power Con figures do groups of 4 twice a year or something like that, 50 bucks a pop is fine. If they have sub-lines and add-ons I would be hard pressed.

I'm getting kitchen sink vibes. I hope that they are "Familiar" designed characters. Joes, D&D, Masters, T-Cats etc. And most importantly....NINJAS! We'll see. Excited and in Support!
    ďYou don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.Ē George Benard Shaw.