Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU/Kaikai Kiki/Madsaki

Widget

MOTU/Kaikai Kiki/Madsaki

I saw this on NTWRK today, and itís crazy as hell. I think I like it, but honestly, Iím not sure. Itís so weird I think I might need it.00F38E60-0D49-408B-9221-979E6200DDE7.jpg

EDIT: I need bifocals and Iím in denial, itís not a toy, it appears to be a print. But still...crazy, and maybe a purchase.

I have no idea why do He-Man and Battle Cat have their eyes painted black. As for He-Man, his mouth is also painted black.
    Last edited by Neophron; December 27, 2020 at 07:37pm.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Mattel is trying to damn hard with this type of crap.

Why dont they worry about getting the right number of figure assortments in stores instead of bombarding us with nothing but Hemans and Skeletors.

Enough with the hipster art crap. Leave that to Mondo.

Madsaki's He-Man and Battle Cat look cool! Why? Because he painted their eyes black, so too He-Man's mouth.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

I'm sorry if this offends anybody.... but, this is NOT art. This just looks like vandalism to me.

This comes as no surprise to anyone who knows me... I wrote a twenty-page dissertation on how much of a disgrace the Tate Modern Museum is to the U.K.'s burgeoning art community. The art should speak for itself and not require a long backstory / history of the artist to get it's point across. Terrible.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

I donít get it. A five year old can also mark up a toy with a black magic marker.

I guess I'm in the wrong line of work.

I just feel bad for the poor schmuck at Mattel that had to write that cringe of a press release. I can imagine it coming back six dozen times with various comments from upper management:

- You only used the word 'exciting' twice. Need more exciting /MK

-Make sure you mention the artist's fish out of water inspirational story of being a maligned minority coming to America for a better life /DH

-Actually, he's Japanese so downplay the 'maligned' part and the 'better life' thing. Just mention not speaking English /DF

-Dave, should we go with 'stunning' or 'brave'? /MK

-Mike, I think both work well /DF

-Actually I read on Buzzfeed that those phrases are trite. Damien, can you confirm? /CM

-Connie, confirmed. That's a no-go via Bzfd /DH

-Looks good to me, folks. Dan, insert some snarky comment about exclusivity. Something that reads between "boomer" and "zoomer" that could go either way. /MK

-Mike, how about oh-so-collectible? /dan

-Perfect. /MK

-Dan, did you mention the neon? /CM

-Connie: yes, nailed it. /dan

-Alright folks, let's get back to the "supplying a bunch of figures to Wal-Mart that they'll not bother distributing" project.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Yeah, definitely not a fan. I was just telling my wife the other day that the up tick of motu art, toys, products, etc. Has really shot up in my opinion over the last year or so. Everyone seems to be out to get their quick buck before the "popular now" window closes again. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see so much masters of universe stuff out there on the market, but a lot of it is just nonsense filler just to get in on the market rise. Plus it's a pain in the butt to stay up to date on collecting with so many products, and rehashes, available on the market.

Hipsters will trip over themselves for this.

So you use existing designs and just spray paint garbage on it, and "recreate" another art form by making it look like a 5 year old did it.

And Mattel is going to go out of their way and charge a huge markup for that. While ******* people off who actually wanted that style instead of origins.

I usually try to keep an open mind about this sort of stuff... but pretty much all of the Mattel Creations stuff has looked like hot garbage to me.
    I really don't get the appeal, especially with this MOTU stuff. I mean, the jacket is kind of nice, I guess... but... any of us could do this at home if we wanted to. But why would you want to?
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I usually try to keep an open mind about this sort of stuff... but pretty much all of the Mattel Creations stuff has looked like hot garbage to me.
    I really don't get the appeal, especially with this MOTU stuff. I mean, the jacket is kind of nice, I guess... but... any of us could do this at home if we wanted to. But why would you want to?
    What jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    What jacket?
    There will also be a hat, shirts, a lunchbox/thermos, hoodie, prints, the figure set

go to Mattel Creations Instagram page pics of all of it
    Instagram: dadhausen

"Art" is perhaps the most subjective word in the English language. Ugh!

I buy a lot of things just because it has the MOTU name plastered on it, but there's no chance I'm buying this.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I buy a lot of things just because it has the MOTU name plastered on it, but there's no chance I'm buying this.
    I agree. I'm a sucker for new MOTU merch, but this is ridiculous. It isn't even a new sculpt or anything. A standard sculpt with a "hip" new neon paint job. I am really curious on what the price on this is going to be. My guess is astronomically more than what you are getting in creativity.

T-shirt and figure sold out immediately haha theyíll be on eBay in 5 minutes

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    The drop starts 1.29.21! Straight into the garbage. Ha. Like Iíve said elsewhere, I appreciate Mattel trying things (and I donít begrudge anyone who likes this sort of stuff), but anybody could tell 99 percent of this Mattel Creation stuff is misguided. Hasbro is killing it with Haslab and Pulse and Mattel does this. They just canít get out of their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    The drop starts 1.29.21! Straight into the garbage. Ha. Like Iíve said elsewhere, I appreciate Mattel trying things (and I donít begrudge anyone who likes this sort of stuff), but anybody could tell 99 percent of this Mattel Creation stuff is misguided. Hasbro is killing it with Haslab and Pulse and Mattel does this. They just canít get out of their own way.
    Tshirt ($40), Hat ($50), Jacket ($100) and figure ($450) just dropped on NTWRK app. I have no intention of purchasing I just wanted to see how fast stuff went. But I agree with your opinion!

I actually liked their Art of Engineering Skeletor figure. This however, is a dumpster fire.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    Tshirt ($40), Hat ($50), Jacket ($100) and figure ($450) just dropped on NTWRK app. I have no intention of purchasing I just wanted to see how fast stuff went. But I agree with your opinion!
    That’s interesting (crazy).

Godspeed to all who purchase. May their questionable taste afford us more awesome MOTU product!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    I actually liked their Art of Engineering Skeletor figure. This however, is a dumpster fire.
    Same here. Let’s see some more MOTU along that line of thought. Maybe a Roboto you assemble all the gears and parts to. Maybe different gears provide different functions. I don’t know. I’m just making that up as I type. But I’d rather have something like that than graffiti.
    Last edited by AntiEternia He-Man; January 26, 2021 at 09:11pm.

I feel like Mattel is trying to get in on what Mondo does and failing miserably.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post

Same here. Letís see some more MOTU along that line of thought. Maybe a Roboto you assemble all the gears and parts to. Maybe different gears provide different functions. I donít know. Iím just making that up as I type. But Iíd rather have something like that than graffiti.
    Iím all onboard with this!!!!

No no no... Thats not art, He-man just has COVID
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP