Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite movie and least favorite movie of 2020?

What is your favorite movie and least favorite movie of 2020?

What is your favorite movie and least favorite (worst) movie of 2020 that were newly released and you watched this year? Try to keep it to one each rather than laundry lists. Normally, I'd have a thread about your favorite movie you saw in theaters, but not much was released in theaters this year and not many went with the pandemic. I'll post my picks in a bit.

Favorite: The Wolf Of Snow Hollow
    Least Favorite: Wonder Woman 84
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Given that so few movies have come out this year, with many being pushed back for well-known reasons, there aren't many to pick from.

That said, I'd probably say that my favorite was Bill & Ted Face The Music.

Not that it was the greatest thing ever (and probably would not hold this rank if all of the movies that originally were supposed to come out this year actually had), and there are some aspects that I have my criticisms of, but overall I really enjoyed it, especially upon rewatch. While the plot was pretty convoluted (far more so than the previous films), when accepting it at face value, it is a lot of fun, and is far better IMO than many other film sequels that come out decades after their predecessors. I love the fact that they got a lot of the supporting cast from the previous films back, especially William Sadler as Death, and Hal Landon Jr. as Ted's dad. It also some very quotable lines.

Rather than it being the product a studio trying to cash in on a familiar name, this was made because the original writers and the actors who play the titular characters wanted to do it specifically for the fans of the originals, and overall it shows. It was made for all the right reasons.

Probably my least favorite movie (again with there not being many contenders) is Wonder Woman 1984.

I was looking forward to it, but there were just A LOT of disappointing aspects. And some aspects that could have been good in theory were poorly executed. IMO in general the DC combined universe films have been a very mixed bag, sadly leaning more on disappointing than good more often than not. But the first Wonder Woman movie was on of the exceptions, and I really liked that one a lot. So I was looking forward to this one because of that, but unfortunately it is another entry in the bad column.

Wached two new movies this year, Enola Holmes and Babysitter's guide to monster hunting.

The best of those two, Enola by far.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

My favorite would have to be Freaks: Youíre one of us. Found it very enjoyable even though the subtitles didnít always match up to the words which was a little annoying.

Havenít seen Wonder Woman yet so my worst pick would be Disneyís Onward. The plot was ok, I didnít like any of the characters
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Id go with Class Action Park for the best...for me..

WW84 for the worst.. very disappointed about that one..
    FREAK OUT!!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!! YEAHHHH!

I'm not sure if it was my favorite, but The Trial of the Chicago Seven was really, really good.

And although I haven't watched it yet, my friends gave pretty bad reviews to Midnight Sky and I'm likely to trust their judgment and not watch.

I haven't watched many 2020 movies. The only ones I can think of are Scoob, The Witches, Extraction and Wonder Woman.
    I enjoed Scoob and the Witches was okay. Wasn't too keen on Extraction or Wonder Woman.

I'll be seeing Wonder Woman 1984 sometime this week, but I have read and enjoyed the novelisation and I do love DC as a rule, and SCOOB was great. The Witches interests me as I am a fan of Anne Hathaway (especially as Selina/Catwoman in Dark Knight Rises).

Mulan was awesome as well.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Not a great year for movies...

Best: I guess Beastie Boys Story

Worst: Wonder Woman 1984

Master of New Adventures!
    Worst: Wonder Woman 1984.

Wait...I haven't seen it yet!

Heroic Warrior
    Favourite - Freaky
    Worst - tenet

Honourable mention - bill & ted, babysitter II, invisible man, underwater, enola holmes, monsters of man, soul

Havenít seen Wonder Woman but watching it later so my worst may change

Heroic Warrior
    Best would be Sonic the Hedgehog.

Worst Onward(Though I haven't seen Birds of Prey, Monster Hunter, Tenet, and Wonder Woman 84).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    (Though I haven't seen Birds of Prey, Monster Hunter, Tenet, and Wonder Woman 84).
    Save your money/time/sanity. Don't bother with them.

Tenet especially makes me mad because I was suckered by Chris Nolan, again!! With his pretend smart, sci-fi thrillers... pfffft! He just another M. Night Shayamalan - all fluff, no substance.

Mine:

Best - Sonic the Hedgehog, Spencer Confidential, and Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge

Worst - Fatman
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior
    ok i'm adding wonder woman 1984 to my worst list.

My favorite movie of the year: Sonic the Hedgehog
    My least favorite: Wonder Woman 84
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Seems that Wonder Woman 1984 is consistently mentioned here as one of the year's worst movies. That's really reducing any motivation I had to watch it, and unlike many, I didn't think the first one was as awesome as everyone kept saying...

Heroic Warrior
    Wonder Woman 84 can't be worse then Birds of Prey, though since people were actually looking forward to the first one, I am sure it has more to do with people's much higher expectations for Wonder Woman 84.

Favorite: Sonic The Hedgehog
    Least Favorite: My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising

Of course I haven't been watching a lot of new movies this year, so the difference between "favorite" and "least favorite" is rather thin.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Favorite: I haven't seen a ton of movies this year, in theaters or streaming. I'd say Onward for now by default. I do want to try to catch Bill & Ted 3 and Tenant at some point and see how I feel about them.

Least Favorite: I'd probably go with The Christmas Chronicles 2 which was not close to as good as the first. For movie theater type films, Scoob! was not a horrible movie, but it treats all the male characters as really dumb, especially Fred. He is not really like the previous Frank Welker versions.

I actually really liked Onward, but it’s not my favorite Pixar.. Soul was also very good, but it’s not a repeat-watcher. I did like Birds of Prey and Invisible Man. So I guess my favorite of 2020 by default is Onward. It was a fun movie with lots of nods to D&D fans. Also a sweet mom, dad, brother moment at the end.

Worst of 2020: WW84. Absolutely horrible movie.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Of the half dozen or so movies listed I watched , I cannot say I loved or hated any of them . Nothing special this year although I do believe 2019 barfed out worse .

Birds of prey motivated me to try and recreate that cheese sandwich ....
    Last edited by Lokus; January 6, 2021 at 02:02am.

After looking, it turns out I only watched two "2020" movies. Birds of Prey which I thought wasn't that good (and this is from someone that kinda enjoyed Suicide Squad), and Enola Holmes. Enola Holmes was a movie I thought I'd really enjoy but it turns out my preconceived imaginings of what it would be like were really off. So much so that I feel asleep about 20 minutes into the movie. I wouldn't say that what I saw of it was bad, just not what I was expecting. Technically, I really haven't seen it yet though
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Wonder Woman 84 can't be worse then Birds of Prey, though since people were actually looking forward to the first one, I am sure it has more to do with people's much higher expectations for Wonder Woman 84.
    That's about right. I considered WW84 barely 'okay'. It had some fun stuff, it had some dumb stuff and the directing choices was seriously lacking... Birds of Prey was just all around terrible. I had zero expectations going into that one, and picked it up for cheap rental and was still felt cheated. WW84 I expected to be good, so the disappointtment with that one stings a lot more.... but no, I still rank it higher than BoP... Honestly, I rank it about 4th in the DCEU, but that's really a not much of an achievement on my list :P

Co-Creator of the NV
    Hard to say because I saw so few -- Favorite is Birds of Prey, as I just loved it so much. But Bill and Ted is very high up there as well

I honestly don't know what my least liked movie was as I can't really remember what I've seen.. I didn't dislike New Mutants or WW1984, but I didn't think that either of them was particularly good. While I don't know if WW1984 was my most disliked movie, it was definitely the biggest disappointment as I'd really expected something better.
    Last edited by Darth Latveria; January 27, 2021 at 06:07pm.