Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LoP Mer-Man at BBTS?

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I don't know anything about a LOP Mer-Man on a single card. I saw that list from a while back and I see the "SOLD OUT" single card listing on BBTS. But no one has told me a thing about it.
    It was available for a while. I preordered one as part of a larger MOTUO order.

I do have the LOP 5-pack, but as I don't want to remove the figures from it because they look cool in the box, I'm glad that this version of Mer-Man (which of course looks like the old cardback art) is getting a separate release. Even if the colors / pain aps are a bit different, I'm personally hoping its still similar. I'd prefer green rather than the blue variant. But it will be nice to get this figure regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Something like this for a LOP Mer-Man re-release would be great:

https://i.imgur.com/3s6JzQy.jpg
    This is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for. Blue-ish skin, and maybe simplified paint apps. That, and the normal packaging instead of the awesome box the Power Con set is in, would be plenty to differentiate a retail release from the con exclusive.

Something like this for a LOP Mer-Man re-release would be great:

https://i.imgur.com/3s6JzQy.jpg
    CLAIM!

@thunderpunchheman :Instagram
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Personally, I’m fine with the price. Mine is sitting in my pile of loot. I know the cost goes to the convention. I like to do my part. That said, if Mattel releases them single carded with no differences, I can see a large backlash against future exclusives.
    I wonder if "single-carded" is considered a difference...

Mattel has been known for altering the standard release of MOTUC figures back in the day, like the 'SDCC' He-Ro or the color-change Orko, so I think there might be some small changes made to the single-carded LoP figures.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Widget
    I imagine that since itís a regular release that all the extra paint on the sword, chest piece, and the scale detail on the crotch piece wonít be there.
    He might also be a different shade of green or blue.

Count me as one of those who is hoping that there are some color differences at least. I like supporting the con, but the set was expensive and the word ďexclusiveĒ becomes a bit meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI they seem to be back in stock at BBTS

FYI they seem to be back in stock at BBTS
    Not on my end.

Screenshot_20210124-120052.png

- - - Updated - - -

Re: the "exclusivity" of the LoP set.

I'm not upset one iota that fans get a wider chance to own the figures. Not everyone could afford to.drop $300 and more on the set. However, it was advertised as an exclusive. If these figures actually hit mass market for $75 all in, that means people like me spent $250 on a cardboard box. That's called getting fleeced.

Now, if Mattel knew all along they would be releasing these figures at mass retail and didn't inform Power Con, then shame on Mattel. If Power Con knew and didn't tell the fans, then shame on Power Con. Val says he didn't know and that's good enough for me. But I can assure you it will be the last Mattel produced Con exclusive I buy, if indeed these wind up at retail in a substantially similar enough format to the Con exclusives.

I know that Mattel only cares about Mattel. I'm not naÔve. They're a business. Any joy they may happen to bestow on a customer is incidental and secondary to the goal of turning a buck. But at the end of the day, the fans have to stop bending over the barrel and letting them do what they've been doing. Enough is enough.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Not on my end.

Screenshot_20210124-120052.png

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not upset one iota that fans get a wider chance to own the figures. Not everyone could afford to.drop $300 and more on the set. However, it was advertised as an exclusive. If these figures actually hit mass market for $75 all in, that means people like me spent $250 on a cardboard box. That's called getting fleeced.

Now, if Mattel knew all along they would be releasing these figures at mass retail and didn't inform Power Con, then shame on Mattel. If Power Con knew and didn't tell the fans, then shame on Power Con. Val says he didn't know and that's good enough for me. But I can assure you it will be the last Mattel produced Con exclusive I buy, if indeed these wind up at retail in a substantially similar enough format to the Con exclusives.

I know that Mattel only cares about Mattel. I'm not naÔve. They're a business. Any joy they may happen to bestow on a customer is incidental and secondary to the goal of turning a buck. But at the end of the day, the fans have to stop bending over the barrel and letting them do what they've been doing. Enough is enough.
    Hmm, it must have sold out again quickly. I've kept a tab open to the item and kept refreshing and happened to see it was in stock again.

I don't think there's any cause for concern - my bet is that the deco is different enough that it won't affect resale value of the Power-Con Mer-Man.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Hmm, it must have sold out again quickly. I've kept a tab open to the item and kept refreshing and happened to see it was in stock again.

I don't think there's any cause for concern - my bet is that the deco is different enough that it won't affect resale value of the Power-Con Mer-Man.
    Count me in the ďhope itís differentĒ camp. I agree with Night Stalker. I donít mind spending the money if itís exclusive. Not because others canít have it, but because exclusive means I canít get it anywhere else. If it turns out all I had to do was wait and Iíd get the figures cheaper then that would rustle my jimmies. I donít care about getting exclusives others canít get or getting it first like I see a lot of people going on about. I just want to pay what I need to pay to obtain it.

I only ever wanted three of the figures offered in the LOP pack, so re-issues suit me well. In that original list that did the rounds, a Beastman LOP re-issue was also listed.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiEternia He-Man View Post
    Count me in the ďhope itís differentĒ camp. I agree with Night Stalker. I donít mind spending the money if itís exclusive. Not because others canít have it, but because exclusive means I canít get it anywhere else. If it turns out all I had to do was wait and Iíd get the figures cheaper then that would rustle my jimmies. I donít care about getting exclusives others canít get or getting it first like I see a lot of people going on about. I just want to pay what I need to pay to obtain it.
    I agree with this, I would not have paid for the exclusives if I knew theyíd be released individually at retail. A different paint deco doesnít justify the expense for me either.

I mainly bought the exclusives for She-Ran and to get a He-Man with a vintage toy head. The rest I could have lived without. Honestly, had I known at the time that She-Ra would get a retail release and Battle Armor He-Man would come with a vintage toy head, I would have never shelled out for the con exclusives. But it is what it is. There's always gambling involved with toy collecting.

That said, it's going to be really hard for me to buy any future sets. I have no animosity whatsoever for Val or anyone involved with Powercon. This rests solely on Mattel.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    I just want the head because that is my favorite Mer-Man design. Don't care if the figure slightly different as long as it looks good. As a result I will be buying multiple regular Mer-Men to serve as minions.

Mattel did it with Shadow Weaver and King Grayskull too. Nobody should be surprised when exclusives are no longer exclusives further down the road. You only have yourself to blame if you're surprised or disappointed.

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    It is possible that the stock shown was just the result of someone canceling their order. I have seen that before on BBTS when I have decided to cancel a preorder that is already sold out, and afterwards it shows in stock. So as soon as someone else places an order, it goes back out of stock again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Mattel did it with Shadow Weaver and King Grayskull too. Nobody should be surprised when exclusives are no longer exclusives further down the road. You only have yourself to blame if you're surprised or disappointed.
    King Grayskull did get a regular release on a standard card with a deco change.

Mattel never actually reissued Shadow Weaver. The only way that the figure was ever able to be purchased from Mattel outside of as an exclusive with a subscription order was when left over customer service stock was sold off at the Mattel outlet store.

After Super7 took over the MOTU lines from Mattel, they did make a new Shadow Weaver figure as part of the Filmation line of figures. While similar in many respects, it was a new sculpt with noticeable differences beyond just the deco/color.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    That's one out of how many SDCC exclusives? We never got another Prince Adam, Marlena, He-Ro, Vy-Kron, etc. And as for Shadow Weaver, you're getting Mattel and Super 7 confused.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I mainly bought the exclusives for She-Ran and to get a He-Man with a vintage toy head. The rest I could have lived without. Honestly, had I known at the time that She-Ra would get a retail release and Battle Armor He-Man would come with a vintage toy head, I would have never shelled out for the con exclusives. But it is what it is. There's always gambling involved with toy collecting.

That said, it's going to be really hard for me to buy any future sets. I have no animosity whatsoever for Val or anyone involved with Powercon. This rests solely on Mattel.
    It makes me question the legality of a toy company offering an "exclusive" and then selling it at retail. "But the packaging was exclusive" or "we changed the paint apps slightly" doesn't seem like it would hold water in a class action lawsuit.

Part of my job involves copywriting, so I'm always hesitant to use language in a product description that could be construed by a jury to mean what I didn't intend for it to mean. I think in a court of law, a judge and jury would "reasonably expect" that buying an exclusive figure at a convention indicates that it will not be sold through any other channels at a later date.

I mean, it may sound far-fetched, but Ford Motor Company dropped the "LTD" designation from the Crown Victoria over concerns that an enterprising lawyer could argue that a mass produced car was not "limited" in any reasonably interpreted sense of the word.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    It makes me question the legality of a toy company offering an "exclusive" and then selling it at retail. "But the packaging was exclusive" or "we changed the paint apps slightly" doesn't seem like it would hold water in a class action lawsuit.

Part of my job involves copywriting, so I'm always hesitant to use language in a product description that could be construed by a jury to mean what I didn't intend for it to mean. I think in a court of law, a judge and jury would "reasonably expect" that buying an exclusive figure at a convention indicates that it will not be sold through any other channels at a later date.

I mean, it may sound far-fetched, but Ford Motor Company dropped the "LTD" designation from the Crown Victoria over concerns that an enterprising lawyer could argue that a mass produced car was not "limited" in any reasonably interpreted sense of the word.
    I can't speak for Mattel but Hasbro Star Wars generally has a year of exclusivity with a decent amount of the product. A good chunk of SDCC sculpts or retailer exclusives eventually made it to regular retail or picked up by e-tailers. Whether Mattel has the same terms with others IDK, but this is what I have witnessed as a Star Wars collector.

Given your profession, I see exactly where you are coming from. It makes complete and total sense.

That said, I think that is precisely what Mattel is doing. I suppose an angry customer could sue them, but I'm not sure how that would go.

Granted, I don't know Jack about the law....I'm just saying something based on what I've seen other toy companies do. They often reuse molds and bucks to save money.
    Odd Man Out

I would hate for the notion of an "exclusive" to be interpreted so restrictively. We still don't have Mer-Man in his correct minicomic colors (first appearance, Alcala comics) and we don't have the cross sell Mer-Man either. To my mind these are all different interpretations of the character, although similar in many respects. Fans should be able to get all three if they want them.

Red Beast Man was an exclusive in Classics, but that doesn't mean that Orange Beast Man was somehow off the table for Mattel, despite the sculpt being the exact same on both.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; January 27, 2021 at 03:04pm.

Let's see what the mass release LoP figures look like first. They may come in different colors than the PowerCon set.
    Last edited by Smitty.81; January 28, 2021 at 02:24pm.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 2/27/2021

I preordered it. It was the only figure I wanted in that set. If they update it great! If not great! I'm just glad he's coming as this version is superior to the origins vintage style release.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forcehunter View Post
    I can't speak for Mattel but Hasbro Star Wars generally has a year of exclusivity with a decent amount of the product. A good chunk of SDCC sculpts or retailer exclusives eventually made it to regular retail or picked up by e-tailers. Whether Mattel has the same terms with others IDK, but this is what I have witnessed as a Star Wars collector.
    Agreed. I think us Star Wars fans understand the exclusive part could be a paint app, slight change in material, an extra accessory, or the packaging. Case in point SDCC Boba Fett and Han Solo in Carbonite.

Bang Your Head
    LOP Beast Man is currently up for pre-order:
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/146004

I suspect the LoP carded releases will at the very minimum have simplified paint apps. The paint applications on the LoP 5-pack exclusive are pretty detailed and I would imagine costly. I couldn't imagine carbon copies of those exclusives in cardbacks for $15 each.

But, in any case, it is definitely nice and appreciated to see some form of these released to the general public.