Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Disapointments with the Origins line

Widget
    My nitpicks are simple...Make them actually available in Canada. I've only ever seen the Sky Sled and Battle Cat. I know some Walmarts got the figures as I've read of Canadians finding them. I just never did.

Other minor nitpicks: Non US market mini-comics have no text and I don't like how the upper knees on the female figures look. He-bro's modification on his Teela looks nice, but I'm not ready to have to mod every single Origins female figure's knees...haha.

I loved He-Man as a kid and just love the new updates. Oh yeah, I wish retail He-Man had the full power sword instead of only half. I actually never knew it was meant to go with Skeletor's as a kid. I just thought they were lazy and made half a sword to save on plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Hoo boy, where to begin?

Then there was the guy who thought (get this), that Merman was a weaker character than Stinkor! Hahahahahahaha, I sure meme'd the heck out of that guy.
    Mer-Man is a generic sea monster, a ripoff of The Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This thread has become exactly what I thought it would become. It was inevitable, really.
    This thread definitely had "open season" written all over it...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    Superman has had the red trunks since 1938 and is currently back to wearing them... Now if we can just get Batman to do the same...
    Couldn't agree more!!

Self-respecting heroes need to wear their underwear on the outside, I don't know what they were thinking when they tried to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    IMHO Origins He-Man's first wave head resembles this long-haired He-Man in the earlier comics especially when you hold him in hand:
    Attachment 124711

Attachment 124712
    Got a point there. It does seem influenced by that mini comics illustrations.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

IMO if they're going to give us different head sculpts for Skeletor, why not base it on classic comics? Like a Texeira head for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    IMO if they're going to give us different head sculpts for Skeletor, why not base it on classic comics? Like a Texeira head for instance.
    I bet they will with future variants.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Got a point there. It does seem influenced by that mini comics illustrations.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Thanks.
    I think the sculpts on those heads are generally soft, that's why they don't capture the details the designers were after well enough, and the lack of paint apps make the issue even worse!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.
    Probably Mattel's designers are experimenting with newer looks at the moment, however the lack of proper paint apps with those funky soft sculpts aren't transitioning well enough IMHO.
    Hopefully we'll see some better comic-esque heads in the future, especially if they were influenced by Alcala's early comics.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

The rise of evil two pack might have the head you're looking for.
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 3/6/2021

IMHO Origins He-Man's first wave head resembles this long-haired He-Man in the earlier comics especially when you hold him in hand:
    Attachment 124711

Attachment 124712
    That may have been the attempt, but the execution resulted in "cartoon Spicoli". If the final head looked like your reference photos I don't think anyone would be complaining.

Attachment 124711

Attachment 124712
    I think you're right, but those two images you post I thing, are the worst look in the early minis. He-Man looks like he just came from the salon. I like this look a bit better, but I'm not sure if it's the art style or not. If you ask me He-Man's hair should look always like he just got out of the shower.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 3/6/2021

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    That may have been the attempt, but the execution resulted in "cartoon Spicoli". If the final head looked like your reference photos I don't think anyone would be complaining.
    If you wish to see the "Spicoli" from the pictures, that's your prerogative of course, but Sean Penn's nose doesn't look like Origins He-Man's nose in person IMHO. I understand the high cheekbones on his face and the long blond hair are what gives the "funny" resemblance:
    spicoli300.jpg

And I think that most people are complaining because he doesn't look like the traditional vintage or Classics heads!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I think you're right, but those two images you post I thing, are the worst look in the early minis. He-Man looks like he just came from the salon. I like this look a bit better, but I'm not sure if it's the art style or not. If you ask me He-Man's hair should look always like he just got out of the shower.

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...y/231_full.jpg
    I personally don't like the shorter hairstyle on him, I prefer the longer hair versions that I saw in various of comics, but even then, He-Man's face interpretations and hairstyle vary from artist to artist or even from panel to panel!

Heroic Warrior
    Do we believe this line will see/produce the entire vintage line the way Classics did?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Do we believe this line will see/produce the entire vintage line the way Classics did?
    No way IMHO, a lot of the characters in the MOTUC line were secondary and pretty much unknown to your casual fan even those who grew up on MOTU.

There is a better chance we see brand new characters than getting something like Plundor or the Star Sisters!

It really depends on how long the line lasts. There were almost 150 figures in the vintage line and with the Origins like it looks like 12 core figures and maybe 8 deluxe figures a year. Assuming they want to remake every figure it would take them about 7 years, but we already have three hiccups in that plan with She-Ra, LoP Merman and Evil-Lyn 2, so how know what the plan is if there even is a long term plan.

OOP! My number was off, only 73 figures in the vintage line so only half that time, ish.

Adding the Vintage PoP line puts the number of figures up to 93 giving them about 5 years to get all of them done. However the Pop list has Loo-Key and Kowl listed as separate figures, but in Origins they could be used to fill out a deluxe set.
    Last edited by Smitty.81; January 26, 2021 at 04:28pm.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 3/6/2021

I think it will depend largely on how well it starts selling beyond collectors and collectors with kids. Once the new media kicks off, maybe we will see the necessary spike to carry the line beyond those of us already on board and the odd casual buyer. If it takes with kids, we could see it get the legs it needs to go as deep as the Vintage line, but I agree that the breadth of MOTUC is unlikely.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior

There is a better chance we see brand new characters than getting something like Plundor or the Star Sisters!
    Those weren't in the vintage line, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I"m only asking about the vintage MOTU line, not all the other parts (cartoon, 200x, NA, PoP, etc.).

I"m only asking about the vintage MOTU line, not all the other parts (cartoon, 200x, NA, PoP, etc.).
    At the rate they're going that'll take about three years, not accounting for figures that get move to box sets like Origins Prince Adam or figures that get new looks like LoP, first appearance or what not.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 3/6/2021

Those weren't in the vintage line, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I misunderstood you earlier, I thought you were referring to Origins becoming as large as the Classics line!
    Well, I believe they might include the most visually appealing characters from the vintage line, and skipping on some other characters like the ones who appeared in the 1987 movie (Gwildor for example).
    Also things like Meteorbs, Rokkon, and Rio Blast might not make it into the line!

Also things like Meteorbs, Rokkon, and Rio Blast might not make it into the line!
    I could line without MOTU's failed attempt at Transformers and their take of battle tops, but if I don't get Rio Blast, the only guy who could cook...
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 3/6/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I could line without MOTU's failed attempt at Transformers and their take of battle tops, but if I don't get Rio Blast, the only guy who could cook...
    I wonder if the current line of administrators at Mattel and today's kids market will have a soft spot for characters like Rio-Blast? But then again funky named characters like Stinkor and Fisto are among the most demanded in the line!

If / when they get to Dragstor, will he have the action feature wheel?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    If / when they get to Dragstor, will he have the action feature wheel?
    I would assume they'd offer him up as a Deluxe figure with ripcord wheel. They'd probably do a Road Ripper first so they'd have the mechanism on tap, design wise.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, I wish they had made the figures just a tad more expensive to justify some "finishing" touches. The almost complete lack of paint and lacking detail in sculpting pushes it juuuuust past the point where I could get super excited. As it stands, I think these are fine for what they are - and hopefully many kids will enjoy them. And some figures will end up in my collection (or alreaedy have), but it just could have been better, I feel - with presumably a minor increase in price. But I guess Mattel did all the market research to figure out what prices they could realistically set for this line to be commercially viable. Not everything should be about adult collectors, after all.

I really love this line, so far. But nothing's perfect. Really, the only things I haven't liked much were the prominent knee joints on Teela and Evil-Lyn, and Skeletor's "baby bonnet"-looking hood. The face could be a little bit better, sure; but what bothers me more is how much of his bare neck you see. I know it would have been less accurate to the original figure's design but I would have much rather preferred a full hood like the Super 7 5.5 Skeletor figure. It's just plain a better look for the character, and I think it would improve the figure's look even if the face stayed the same.

The MOST disappointing thing to me so far is how the stores around here only have He-Man and Skeletor if they have anything at all. Granted, every time they stock them they sell out rather fast, which is good I guess. But I've only been able to find the first Wave so far, and most of what I got from that was bought online or through my friends at the local flea market. I'd pick some up online right now just to get them already, but my wife ordered one for me as a surprise gift and it hasn't shown up yet, so I have to wait until it does before I buy any more of them.

Overall there's a few things I'd change but nothing I really don't like. Just a few things I think could be a *little* better.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA