Thread: Splatoon 2's Super Mario Splatfest has a fabulous prize!

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar

Splatoon 2's Super Mario Splatfest has a fabulous prize!

The Super Mario 35 Splatfest is this coming weekend, and Nintendo is doing something a little bit different.
    Not only do you get to participate to earn sea snails to add perks to your gear but they're having an actual, physical
    prize this time out. The top 35 players from both Team Mushroom and Team Super Star will win a Gold Mario X Splatoon
    coin!

Is anybody else going for it? I don't expect to win, but I certainly want to. It looks a hell of cool and would be a nice piece to have for my
    video game collection. All you do is go to https://mario.nintendo.com/challenge/ to register, then play in the splatfest like you normally would.
    Anyway, good luck to anyone else who might want to take a crack at it

MarioSplatfest.jpg
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    The Super Mario 35 Splatfest is this coming weekend, and Nintendo is doing something a little bit different.
    Not only do you get to participate to earn sea snails to add perks to your gear but they're having an actual, physical
    prize this time out. The top 35 players from both Team Mushroom and Team Super Star will win a Gold Mario X Splatoon
    coin!

Is anybody else going for it? I don't expect to win, but I certainly want to. It looks a hell of cool and would be a nice piece to have for my
    video game collection. All you do is go to https://mario.nintendo.com/challenge/ to register, then play in the splatfest like you normally would.
    Anyway, good luck to anyone else who might want to take a crack at it

MarioSplatfest.jpg
    Oh, yeah!!

Hard-core Inkling here... I'll definitely be participating!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Well we'll see how we did soon. I got so frustrated with fellow Team Mushroom players for never taking the middle!
    But had a mostly even W/L record.
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Yes!!

I'm glad to hear that you were on the winning Super Mushroom side as well!

My Squid Power hit 7/7 and I finished with over 330K Clout... (Plus, I leveled up 3X during this Splatfest... so that's 3 more snails to add to the winning pot and a bunch of ability chunks to add to my collection!)

I would love to be among the 70 winners, but I'm not holding my breath. I just couldn't stay logged on playing for as many hours as some of the people I saw in Inkopolis. Seriously, I saw some of the same people in the game from when I started on Friday, then again on Saturday morning, later that evening, and again this morning when I played for the longest stretch!

I started with a pretty even W/L record, but then this morning, I had a 12 game winning streak with an awesome crew! Incredible flanking tactics and choice of load-outs!

- - - Updated - - -

The more I think about it, the more I would really like to get one of the Splatfest Coins!

I want to add it to my collection!!

splatoon bandai collection.jpg

splatoon figma collection.jpg

splatoon amiibo collection.jpg

My fingers are still crossed...
    Last edited by Ornclown; January 18, 2021 at 02:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yes!!

I'm glad to hear that you were on the winning Super Mushroom side as well!

My Squid Power hit 7/7 and I finished with over 330K Clout... (Plus, I leveled up 3X during this Splatfest... so that's 3 more snails to add to the winning pot and a bunch of ability chunks to add to my collection!)

I would love to be among the 70 winners, but I'm not holding my breath. I just couldn't stay logged on playing for as many hours as some of the people I saw in Inkopolis. Seriously, I saw some of the same people in the game from when I started on Friday, then again on Saturday morning, later that evening, and again this morning when I played for the longest stretch!

I started with a pretty even W/L record, but then this morning, I had a 12 game winning streak with an awesome crew! Incredible flanking tactics and choice of load-outs!

- - - Updated - - -

The more I think about it, the more I would really like to get one of the Splatfest Coins!

I want to add it to my collection!!

splatoon bandai collection.jpg

splatoon figma collection.jpg

splatoon amiibo collection.jpg

My fingers are still crossed...
    Yeah I didn't get anywhere near top 100. I actually raged a bit the second day because I kept getting paired with people who REFUSED to go to the center and hold
    things down. A good 16 losses in a row. But I eventually did bounce back and had an almost even W/L by the end. I took a break after the Splatfest because
    I put in 20 hours. It would have been more but I needed food and sleep I had the rare weekend free so I tried my damnedest to get that coin.

Anyway, if you don't already, I would check out ThatSrb2DUDE, Wadsm, SeanStiny, Latias when they go live on Twitch. Some of the best Splatoon 2 players in the world. I
    stream the game often too, but watching me after them is like watching a normie play Basketball after a Laker's game
    The Deviot

-?

Yeah I didn't get anywhere near top 100. I actually raged a bit the second day because I kept getting paired with people who REFUSED to go to the center and hold
    things down. A good 16 losses in a row. But I eventually did bounce back and had an almost even W/L by the end. I took a break after the Splatfest because
    I put in 20 hours. It would have been more but I needed food and sleep I had the rare weekend free so I tried my damnedest to get that coin.

Anyway, if you don't already, I would check out ThatSrb2DUDE, Wadsm, SeanStiny, Latias when they go live on Twitch. Some of the best Splatoon 2 players in the world. I
    stream the game often too, but watching me after them is like watching a normie play Basketball after a Laker's game
    Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

After watching some of the World Championships, I am resigned to the fact that I will always be a noob in comparison to these pro-players...

They are amazing people to learn new strategies from, though!!

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

After watching some of the World Championships, I am resigned to the fact that I will always be a noob in comparison to these pro-players...

They are amazing people to learn new strategies from, though!!
    Yeah, those Pro E-Sports players are something else, Even Gordon Hayward of Celtics wouldn't dare to touch League of Legends professional tournament, he said people who willing to enter professional league needed both strong physical and mental focus and commitment to compete.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Yeah, those Pro E-Sports players are something else, Even Gordon Hayward of Celtics wouldn't dare to touch League of Legends professional tournament, he said people who willing to enter professional league needed both strong physical and mental focus and commitment to compete.
    Sometimes, I even feel outclassed during a Salmon Run when I have to be revived multiple times!! (And then realize that I've only contributed a handful of eggs at the end...)

It's crazy how dedicated players are to certain games (myself included)... It really drives me nuts that Nintendo's Cloud Service does not work for Splatoon 2. If ever a game needed it, this would be the one.

I read a story about a player who lost almost 800 hours of playtime because his Switch hit the fritz.

Sometimes, I even feel outclassed during a Salmon Run when I have to be revived multiple times!! (And then realize that I've only contributed a handful of eggs at the end...)

It's crazy how dedicated players are to certain games (myself included)... It really drives me nuts that Nintendo's Cloud Service does not work for Splatoon 2. If ever a game needed it, this would be the one.

I read a story about a player who lost almost 800 hours of playtime because his Switch hit the fritz.
    I heard Nintendo are upgrading multiplayer servers.

Here's the news, and the "culprit" or the "corner stone" is actually Monster Hunter Rise game.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._u_and_3ds_era

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I heard Nintendo are upgrading multiplayer servers.

Here's the news, and the "culprit" or the "corner stone" is actually Monster Hunter Rise game.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._u_and_3ds_era
    He was referring to the cloud save backups of game save data (not the servers that handle the online multiplayer). For most games, the save data can be backed up to the cloud and (in the event that your Switch dies) redownloaded to another system.

But there are a few games that Nintendo won't allow to be backed up to the cloud, Splatoon 2 being one of them. Their reasoning is concerns about people somehow cheating with it. While I get those concerns, and I understand trying to prevent such issues, it should not come at the expense of having reasonable service for the legit customer using these things as intended.

Loosing hundreds of hours of play time like that royally sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    He was referring to the cloud save backups of game save data (not the servers that handle the online multiplayer). For most games, the save data can be backed up to the cloud and (in the event that your Switch dies) redownloaded to another system.

But there are a few games that Nintendo won't allow to be backed up to the cloud, Splatoon 2 being one of them. Their reasoning is concerns about people somehow cheating with it. While I get those concerns, and I understand trying to prevent such issues, it should not come at the expense of having reasonable service for the legit customer using these things as intended.

Loosing hundreds of hours of play time like that royally sucks.
    My bad, that really suck to hear about losing cloud save data. definitely agree on this one. "it should not come at the expense of having reasonable service for the legit customer using these things as intended. "

They don't do clouds for Multiplayer because of the risk of cheats by allowing it. It can be exploitable. Not just for Splatoon 2 but for many games.
    It does bite though. Still, at least it gives cheaters/hackers one less avenue. Thankfully, aimbots, players floating above the map, invincible players, etc. have been super rare.
    Splatoon 1 became rife with it for a while after Splatoon 2 came out. A lot of those players thought they could get away with it there, and many did for awhile. Although it's
    funny seeing the NOA Support forums with people crying about Wii U console bans because they still got caught albeit much, much later.
    The Deviot

-?

They don't do clouds for Multiplayer because of the risk of cheats by allowing it. It can be exploitable. Not just for Splatoon 2 but for many games.
    It does bite though. Still, at least it gives cheaters/hackers one less avenue. Thankfully, aimbots, players floating above the map, invincible players, etc. have been super rare.
    Splatoon 1 became rife with it for a while after Splatoon 2 came out. A lot of those players thought they could get away with it there, and many did for awhile. Although it's
    funny seeing the NOA Support forums with people crying about Wii U console bans because they still got caught albeit much, much later.
    Yeah, I completely understand why Nintendo went this route... I just wish that there was at least a way to save a players legitimate progress for purchased gear and weapons plus level.

Rank, freshness rating, sea snails and ability chunks would have to be re-earned though...

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Beyond the issues already mentioned, another thing that annoys me is the fact that even when you have a physical copy of a game, your save/progress data is saved onto the system and not the game card.

I understand that downloaded updated/add-on dlc will need to be saved to the system's memory or micro SD card. But it would be nice if the game progress was saved on the game card itself, as was the case with the DS and 3DS.

That way with games like Animal Crossing and Splatoon 2, if your console dies, then you can just pop the game card into another console, log into your account, and all should work just fine.

And that seems like a missed opportunity to make at least some extra money here and there for Nintendo in a few ways. Since the save data was on the game card and not the console itself, in addition to my wife and I each having our own copies of Animal Crossing for the 3DS, we later bought a couple of additional copies when the price dropped to build other towns, be able to connect between them, etc. This was somewhat helped by the fact that we had both upgrade our 3DS systems over time (mainly to the 'New' 3DS) and still had the old ones laying around, so we had extra systems to pop the games into for connecting. Though even if we only had 1 system each, it would be enough to do this. Heck, friend of mine got so deep into Animal Crossing 3DS that at one point he bought another copy of the game and a second 3DS just to be able to go between the two towns.

Now while we are all probably in the relative minority in buying multiple copies of the same game for this specific reason, one of the issues with the Switch version of Animal Crossing is that with the data being saved to the system, only one town total can exist on it. So if there are multiple players in a house with one system, and each of them have their own accounts/system log ins they have to share that town, and there are some limits on what anyone other than the player that created the town/island can do.

IMO in a scenario where the data is saved to the console, there should be no reason why each account can't have their own unique town. But with that being the case, if the data were saved to the game card instead of system, I'm sure in some households with 1 system, they could still potentially buy a 2nd copy of the game so someone else can make their own town.

The further issue with this is that it makes it difficult for a single player to go back and forth between more than one system if they have reason to. For instance, I actually wouldn't mind the idea of getting a Switch Lite with the proper d-pad if it were easy enough to go back and forth between it and my regular Switch. Yes, it would mean downloading some things (like add-on content and full-on digital games) to both systems, but at least for physical games (if the data were saved to the game card) and/or games with cloud data back up, it would be easy enough to go back and forth between systems.

But under current circumstances, for games that lack cloud save backups, it would basically mean doing full-on data transfers from one system to another. And that would be a pain in the ass to do repeatedly. It's not that the data transfers are the most difficult thing in the world by any means - I did it once when I upgraded to the revision of the regular Switch with better battery life - but its really meant more for occasional one-off transfers when completely moving from one system to another. It's really not convenient at all for constant swapping back and forth.

So as such, I have no reason to get a Switch Lite under these circumstances, and that's an additional sale Nintendo is missing out on. While not everyone who already had a regular Switch would also buy a Lite for this reason, I'm sure a decent enough handful would if it were more convenient to use both regularly.

Having the data saved directly to the card would be so awesome!

It would still be protected because you would only be able to save/load said data on a system with your account...

I decided to pick up The Witcher 3 on Switch a couple weeks ago, and that allowed me to access the Steam Library cloud save where I have over 450 hours put into the PC/PS4 versions of the game.

On top of that, I can continue my game on the Switch, then upload that save to the cloud to be used on my PC... it's freakin' awesome.