Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 75

Thread: A violent motu movie

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,026
    Put me in the boat of mild, meaningful violence. He-Man is a noble hero who wins by outwitting his enemies and only maims and kills as an absolute last resort if all other options have been exhausted. He's not Conan. It should be about as violent as Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars.

  2. #27
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    7,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Put me in the boat of mild, meaningful violence. He-Man is a noble hero who wins by outwitting his enemies and only maims and kills as an absolute last resort if all other options have been exhausted. He's not Conan. It should be about as violent as Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars.
    I completely agree.

    As a matter of fact, if I had to compare He-Man to another work of fiction, I would choose Flash Gordon, the Lone Ranger, Thor, or even John Carter.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  3. #28
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Put me in the boat of mild, meaningful violence. He-Man is a noble hero who wins by outwitting his enemies and only maims and kills as an absolute last resort if all other options have been exhausted. He's not Conan. It should be about as violent as Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars.
    I absolutely agree with this as well. I do NOT want an R-rated MOTU, I want just enough violence and some mature themes to make the story real, but without going too far, and hopefully it won't be some out of contol sex romp and there should definitely be no profanity. MOTU should be more Lord Of The Rings and less Game Of Thrones.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  4. #29
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,995
    I think the right tone is somewhere on a scale from Guardians of the Galaxy to Thor: Ragnarok.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    115
    For me some blood is okay, like a MCU movie. I don't mind violent, or mature and I'm part of the Conan-esque world of the earliest mini-comics-fans. But I think a MotU movie should lean towards what the majority of people expect which would be Filmation/Mike Young.

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior InThe80s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    824
    I don't think there should be a lot of violence in the MOTU movie. The whole reason He-Man even exists is because they wanted to create a PG version of Conan the Barbarian. Mattel originally wanted to license and make Conan the Barbarian toys but selling toys to little kids based on an R-rated movie is a non starter. So Mattel came up with a kinder gentler version of Conan and that is how MOTU began. The whole franchise was based on toning down the violence so it could be marketed to kids. Putting in a bunch of gratuitous violence in the reboot goes against the whole reason He-Man exists in the first place.

    He-Man isn't the kind of hero that kills his adversaries or even hurts them. He is a "do-gooder" that just oozes goodness to point that it makes people almost want to root for the villains sometimes. Half the fun of watching He-Man back in the day was doing just that and rooting for Skeletor. That is because even the villains weren't really all that evil. Skeletor just wanted the power of Grayskull just for kind of power's sake alone. He wasn't a head chopping maniac. Skeletor is what grounded the series and made it relatable. Skeletor wanted something and he couldn't have it (we've all been there). Skeletor was the flawed character that simply let his greed and envy get the better of him. He-Man on the other hand was perfect in every way and the only one that could be trusted to be the steward of Grayskull's power without abusing it. He-Man could have killed Skeletor any time he wanted but that is not just the way of things. He-Man was a gentle giant who was always in control and he had to be. If the most powerful being in the universe makes even the slightest misjudgement it could be the end of the world even if it was just an accident. Only a perfect being can wield ultimate power.

    The movie should focus on He-Man's feats of strength rather than killing and violence. Make it clear that he does wield ultimate power.
    - He could pick up a tank and throw 50 miles
    - He could rip massive two foot thick steel doors right off their hinges with ease
    - He-Man can turn an entire army of robots into scrap metal in two seconds.
    - He can wrestle a Godzilla sized monster to ground and flip it right on its back like it was nothing more than pillow toy. "The bigger they are the harder they fall" as He-Man can be quoted as saying a few times.

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior Durendal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    I don't think there should be a lot of violence in the MOTU movie. The whole reason He-Man even exists is because they wanted to create a PG version of Conan the Barbarian. Mattel originally wanted to license and make Conan the Barbarian toys but selling toys to little kids based on an R-rated movie is a non starter. So Mattel came up with a kinder gentler version of Conan and that is how MOTU began. The whole franchise was based on toning down the violence so it could be marketed to kids. Putting in a bunch of gratuitous violence in the reboot goes against the whole reason He-Man exists in the first place.

    He-Man isn't the kind of hero that kills his adversaries or even hurts them. He is a "do-gooder" that just oozes goodness to point that it makes people almost want to root for the villains sometimes. Half the fun of watching He-Man back in the day was doing just that and rooting for Skeletor. That is because even the villains weren't really all that evil. Skeletor just wanted the power of Grayskull just for kind of power's sake alone. He wasn't a head chopping maniac. Skeletor is what grounded the series and made it relatable. Skeletor wanted something and he couldn't have it (we've all been there). Skeletor was the flawed character that simply let his greed and envy get the better of him. He-Man on the other hand was perfect in every way and the only one that could be trusted to be the steward of Grayskull's power without abusing it. He-Man could have killed Skeletor any time he wanted but that is not just the way of things. He-Man was a gentle giant who was always in control and he had to be. If the most powerful being in the universe makes even the slightest misjudgement it could be the end of the world even if it was just an accident. Only a perfect being can wield ultimate power.

    The movie should focus on He-Man's feats of strength rather than killing and violence. Make it clear that he does wield ultimate power.
    - He could pick up a tank and throw 50 miles
    - He could rip massive two foot thick steel doors right off their hinges with ease
    - He-Man can turn an entire army of robots into scrap metal in two seconds.
    - He can wrestle a Godzilla sized monster to ground and flip it right on its back like it was nothing more than pillow toy. "The bigger they are the harder they fall" as He-Man can be quoted as saying a few times.
    Sorry, but this would make an even worse movie than the '87 disaster. It would be boring beyond belief.

  8. #33
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,000
    I have always loved and will always love the 1987 MOTU movie.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  9. #34
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Sorry, but this would make an even worse movie than the '87 disaster. It would be boring beyond belief.
    So true but some people LOVE this film (Don't know why) and get hurt when you say it...It is a bad film face facts...

  10. #35
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    7,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    So true but some people LOVE this film (Don't know why) and get hurt when you say it...It is a bad film face facts...
    The 1987 MOTU movie is NOT a bad movie and the fans have a right to love it.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    7,014
    The 87 movie is terrible. Though Karg, Blade, Saurod, and Evil-Lyn are pretty cool in it. Everything else is cringe cheesy and/or bad. I've never wanted to like a movie more in my life, but I just can't.

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    326
    I was 7 when the movie came out and I was still into he-man in quite a big way. I remember I loved the movie, it was exciting and action packed to my 7 year old self. I remember asking my dad a million question, where was prince Adam, battlecat, orko, trapjaw etc? Why did castle grayskull look like that? And added it was a great movie but it wasn’t a proper he-man film. I still watch it nowadays when I want something nostalgic, easy to watch and a bit tacky

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior Night Stalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    So Mattel came up with a kinder gentler version of Conan and that is how MOTU began. The whole franchise was based on toning down the violence so it could be marketed to kids. Putting in a bunch of gratuitous violence in the reboot goes against the whole reason He-Man exists in the first place.
    MOTU was in development before John Milius even wrote the script for Conan, and the line was in production when they optioned the rights to produce a toyline off of Conan. This is well-established fact backed up by reams of documentation exhibited into evidence in the lawsuit Mattel won against REH Properties when they alleged as much.

    Your MOTU seems to exclusively be based on Filmation MOTU. Filmation MOTU is not the MOTU that hit the store shelves in 1982. Skeletor was a demon who kidnapped and chained buxom wenches to torture racks. He-Man was a wandering barbarian who beat things up for fun and profit. He didn't kill anyone or bed Teela down on panel because Mattel wanted to turn a profit, not commit PR suicide.

    It's ok to favor the kinder, gentler He-Man over the savage barbarian He-Man. It's ok to want to see the same depiction in a new film. Heck, it's ok to enjoy the 1987 movie. I like it, even though it's a terrible movie. I enjoy the Filmation cartoon, even though the adult me sees all the recycled sequences and voice cast being overutilized to the point of derision.

    Where a lot of us get tripped up is in thinking our specific interpretation of MOTU is the de facto MOTU, and demanding that be the default version of MOTU that Mattel runs with forever onward. It's not just media representation, either. There's a segment of fans that refuse to support anything that isn't Classics, because that's their MOTU and everything that isn't Classics automatically fails and should be cancelled. It's gatekeeping in the extreme.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

  14. #39
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    The movie should focus on He-Man's feats of strength rather than killing and violence. Make it clear that he does wield ultimate power.
    - He could pick up a tank and throw 50 miles
    - He could rip massive two foot thick steel doors right off their hinges with ease
    - He-Man can turn an entire army of robots into scrap metal in two seconds.
    - He can wrestle a Godzilla sized monster to ground and flip it right on its back like it was nothing more than pillow toy. "The bigger they are the harder they fall" as He-Man can be quoted as saying a few times.
    I agree. I want to see He-Man performing feats that only the most powerful man in the universe can do. I think the trend to depower He-Man that started in New Adventures, continued through 200X, and into the contemporary DC comics has made him less impressive. It puts his power on a Thor level, and I would rather it be at Superman.

  15. #40
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    7,019
    I have spoken at length as to why Masters of the Universe is underrated and unfairly given flak.

    But, say what you will... I loved the movie back in the summer of '87 and I still loved it when I watched it last week for the umpteenth time.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

  16. #41
    The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,004
    I'm all for a "Lord of the Rings-esque" Masters of the Universe movie. In both tone and violence. Some of those battle scenes were intense as hell!! I'd LOVE that for a MOTU movie. And speaking of LOTR, I can totally get behind making He Man himself in a very similar manner as Aragorn. He was brave, smart, a true HERO... but he wasn't afraid to ever draw his sword and take out the bad guys when he needed to. THAT'S exactly how He Man should be in the movie. Ara-He-Gorn!!


    And, by the way, I enjoy the 87 movie for what it is. Is it perfect, or a good representation of our favorite characters? No... and pretty far from it. But it's still alot of fun, and I have a huge amount of nostalgic love for it. And if you don't like it, or think it's awful, that's your opinion, and that's fine too. Everybody is aloud their own opinion.
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; January 20, 2021 at 09:15am.
    Please Give My Vintage Want To Buy List A Look: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...ge-Accessories
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

  17. #42
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,994
    Guys, please stay on topic and do not talk about each other. Thanks.

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,241
    a violent pg-13 adult movie is necessary to distance motu from that stupid "whats going on" video & all the joke commercials (ghey dancing, the car, robot chicken, etc). he-man being a joke IP is the biggest hurdle in it's way.

    if kids don't think it's "cool" they won't want to get the toys or be interested. the new cartoons already look like they are taking a darker tone based on the few posters we've seen.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

  19. #44
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,482
    I want to see a mature violent movie with He-man being the moral compass. I want the bad guys to be huge and frightening, not jokes or brainless ogres. I want a He-man that has enough power to muscle through these monsters and decide if and when he needs to take them out.

    And I not only want this movie this way because it's what I want to see, I want the movie to go this way because I think it's what will have to happen to get younger people on board and make fans out of them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think the right tone is somewhere on a scale from Guardians of the Galaxy to Thor: Ragnarok.
    I'd also love it if they could achieve this and make a great movie. But I feel like that won't be the case.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The 1987 MOTU movie is NOT a bad movie and the fans have a right to love it.
    I absolutely hated it when I saw it in the theaters as a kid and to this day believe it killed any chance the line had at continuing.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior marndt8448's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I want it Lord of the Rings levels only.
    I feel the same.

    Many MOTU characters use swords after all, there’s got to be some level of violence. It’ll be extremely disappointing if it’s the level of the Filmation cartoon where the most devastating attack was a friggin’ monkey flip, or dropping a villain in a puddle

  21. #46
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I have spoken at length as to why Masters of the Universe is underrated and unfairly given flak.

    But, say what you will... I loved the movie back in the summer of '87 and I still loved it when I watched it last week for the umpteenth time.
    I love the live action film. After seeing it opening day in theaters, I almost could not go back to the animated series. As soon as I was able to get a copy on home video, I played it over and over. I can recite every line backwards and forwards.

  22. #47
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I love the live action film. After seeing it opening day in theaters, I almost could not go back to the animated series. As soon as I was able to get a copy on home video, I played it over and over. I can recite every line backwards and forwards.


    This explains why we argue so much

    Oil and water...

    Did it not bother you that so many of the classic characters were missing or almost unrecognizable? I walked out of the theater truly disappointed and sad even.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior clashfromjem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    just escaped from deathtrap dungeon (uk)
    Posts
    188
    it will never happen but..........
    use a certain 1982 fantasy movie as a guide:

    "crush the wails of "toxic masculinity",
    see the ***s driven before you,
    and to hear the lamentations of the snowflakes!"



    - - - Updated - - -

    before anyone starts grabbing the pitchforks and torches....
    the word censored was an abbreviation for warriors who fight for justice in a social context......thought i'd better clear that up before anyone reads something else into the asterisks and becomes offended due to misinterpretation.
    not trying to circumvent censorship just trying to avoid confusion......don't want to trigger anyone in their safe space.
    Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

    "everything will probably not be all right, but we have to try." V. Putin
    " sometimes it is necessary to be lonely in order to prove that you are right." V. Putin

  24. #49
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post


    This explains why we argue so much

    Oil and water...

    Did it not bother you that so many of the classic characters were missing or almost unrecognizable? I walked out of the theater truly disappointed and sad even.
    The absence of particular characters in the film is not evidence that they do not exist in the world of the film. Every character did not appear in every episode of the animated series either. It just means that they are not featured in this particular story. And the characters are perfectly recognizeable. The designs were adapted for film, but the silhouettes were the same. The performance of Lundgren was a little wooden, but the performances of everyone else were excellent, and were consistent with their animated counterparts. I walked away from the live action film thinking, "This is what these characters would be like if they were real and not a cartoon."

  25. #50
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The absence of particular characters in the film is not evidence that they do not exist in the world of the film. Every character did not appear in every episode of the animated series either. It just means that they are not featured in this particular story. And the characters are perfectly recognizeable. The designs were adapted for film, but the silhouettes were the same. The performance of Lundgren was a little wooden, but the performances of everyone else were excellent, and were consistent with their animated counterparts. I walked away from the live action film thinking, "This is what these characters would be like if they were real and not a cartoon."
    Sure they could exist but that fact that they weren't in the movie at all was highly disappointing. So let's add Karg, Blade, and Saurod (who they kill off)? Beast man looked like a cross between the devil and Bigfoot. And what the heck is this Gwildor thing?

    Why not just use established (and loved) characters? That's right, to sell us new figures. Well I for one didn't buy them.

    I don't even want to get started on how a MOTU film spend half the movie following around earth teens and a weird detective.

    It's hard for me to understand how people even view this as a He-man film. He wasn't even the main character in the movie.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •