Thread: A violent motu movie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heroic Warrior

A violent motu movie

So I have just been watching the Schwarzenegger movie Conan. Itís one of my favourite movies of its kind. My question is would you accept a motu movie as violent and as brutal as Conan. I personally wouldnít mind. Iíd personally like two versions, a grown up bloody version and a more Thor/lord of the rings version. Do you think a more adult version would appeal more? I know that traditionally motu is action packed but not necessarily violent but as an adult collector would you enjoy it? Or would you prefer a more PG version? I mean the recent DC comics have been quite bloody with sayrn cutting grayskulls throat. Just wondering

I 10000% would be! Im pre-filmation . so id love to see some all battles blood /gore etc.. why not.. we have the kid friendly ver... so how's about something grindy for the folks who like that sort of thing..
    FREAK OUT!!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!! YEAHHHH!

Bring it on, I say.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

I just want a good movie.

I would not like it. I'd rather a MotU be on the order of the movies you mentioned like Lord of the Rings and Thor, or maybe Pirates of the Caribbean and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lol, I just realized that I wrote three movies that have "of the" in the middle, just like Masters of the Universe. Maybe that's a good sign.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I just want a good movie.
    100 times this.

My dream would be a MOTU movie with the kind of quality, care, humor, and violence level of the LOTR movies. More violent than a kids movie, but not R-rated levels of blood and gore.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    100 times this.

My dream would be a MOTU movie with the kind of quality, care, humor, and violence level of the LOTR movies. More violent than a kids movie, but not R-rated levels of blood and gore.
    I absolutely agree with you Wakko!

Court Magician
    I mean, a violent movie is fine, as long as they don't get so caught up in making it gory that they forget to write an interesting or good plot.

Court Magician
    Yeah. neccesary violence is fine. There's gonna be battles, it's a big part of the property. It would just look odd if they went out of their way to avoid it. So have some stabbing, some zapping, some actually painful looking magic. They can kill off some characters, if they're willing to accept the risk of backlash.

But it'd be too much if they just went "Oh, you know what'd be a hit? Buckets of blood everywhere!!! Let's have someone get cut in half! Let's dedicate an entire group of our effects team to just work on the hyperrealistic corpses left in He Man's wake! We'll have lingering close up shots and everything!!! By the end of this movie three quarters of the cast are going to be dead and the audience will totally love it!! Let's gorily kill off orko as a way of stating that we HATE the filmation show (and we totally know that everyone else hates it too!!) What? You're saying He Man wouldn't realistically just turn to violence on a whim and we need to justify it? Uh. Idk. Just fridge Marlena or even Teela to kickstart a revenge plot i guess. They didn't do anything important in the franchise, right? Oh well, I'm off to render Keldor's melted face in stunning 4K."

I don't think they'd go quite as far, realistically, but it's what I think of whenever I see someone begging desperate for what they say is a "violent motu movie". I find that companies and studios tend to get carried away with gore to the point where they forget to write a good story.

Heroic Warrior
    I dont want it more violent than what was seen in '87 movie
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

I want it Lord of the Rings levels only.

Heroic Warrior
    Just to put it out there, Iím not advocating a Conan game of thrones level of violence etc was just interested to see if people would want that or would prefer a lord of the rings marvel level of action and violence.

Put me in the boat of mild, meaningful violence. He-Man is a noble hero who wins by outwitting his enemies and only maims and kills as an absolute last resort if all other options have been exhausted. He's not Conan. It should be about as violent as Lord Of The Rings and Star Wars.

I don't think there should be a lot of violence in the MOTU movie. The whole reason He-Man even exists is because they wanted to create a PG version of Conan the Barbarian. Mattel originally wanted to license and make Conan the Barbarian toys but selling toys to little kids based on an R-rated movie is a non starter. So Mattel came up with a kinder gentler version of Conan and that is how MOTU began. The whole franchise was based on toning down the violence so it could be marketed to kids. Putting in a bunch of gratuitous violence in the reboot goes against the whole reason He-Man exists in the first place.

He-Man isn't the kind of hero that kills his adversaries or even hurts them. He is a "do-gooder" that just oozes goodness to point that it makes people almost want to root for the villains sometimes. Half the fun of watching He-Man back in the day was doing just that and rooting for Skeletor. That is because even the villains weren't really all that evil. Skeletor just wanted the power of Grayskull just for kind of power's sake alone. He wasn't a head chopping maniac. Skeletor is what grounded the series and made it relatable. Skeletor wanted something and he couldn't have it (we've all been there). Skeletor was the flawed character that simply let his greed and envy get the better of him. He-Man on the other hand was perfect in every way and the only one that could be trusted to be the steward of Grayskull's power without abusing it. He-Man could have killed Skeletor any time he wanted but that is not just the way of things. He-Man was a gentle giant who was always in control and he had to be. If the most powerful being in the universe makes even the slightest misjudgement it could be the end of the world even if it was just an accident. Only a perfect being can wield ultimate power.

The movie should focus on He-Man's feats of strength rather than killing and violence. Make it clear that he does wield ultimate power.
    - He could pick up a tank and throw 50 miles
    - He could rip massive two foot thick steel doors right off their hinges with ease
    - He-Man can turn an entire army of robots into scrap metal in two seconds.
    - He can wrestle a Godzilla sized monster to ground and flip it right on its back like it was nothing more than pillow toy. "The bigger they are the harder they fall" as He-Man can be quoted as saying a few times.

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I'm all for a "Lord of the Rings-esque" Masters of the Universe movie. In both tone and violence. Some of those battle scenes were intense as hell!! I'd LOVE that for a MOTU movie. And speaking of LOTR, I can totally get behind making He Man himself in a very similar manner as Aragorn. He was brave, smart, a true HERO... but he wasn't afraid to ever draw his sword and take out the bad guys when he needed to. THAT'S exactly how He Man should be in the movie. Ara-He-Gorn!!

And, by the way, I enjoy the 87 movie for what it is. Is it perfect, or a good representation of our favorite characters? No... and pretty far from it. But it's still alot of fun, and I have a huge amount of nostalgic love for it. And if you don't like it, or think it's awful, that's your opinion, and that's fine too. Everybody is aloud their own opinion.
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; January 20, 2021 at 09:15am.
    Please Give My Vintage Want To Buy List A Look: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...ge-Accessories
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I want it Lord of the Rings levels only.
    I feel the same.

Many MOTU characters use swords after all, thereís got to be some level of violence. Itíll be extremely disappointing if itís the level of the Filmation cartoon where the most devastating attack was a frigginí monkey flip, or dropping a villain in a puddle

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    So I have just been watching the Schwarzenegger movie Conan. Itís one of my favourite movies of its kind. My question is would you accept a motu movie as violent and as brutal as Conan. I personally wouldnít mind. Iíd personally like two versions, a grown up bloody version and a more Thor/lord of the rings version. Do you think a more adult version would appeal more? I know that traditionally motu is action packed but not necessarily violent but as an adult collector would you enjoy it? Or would you prefer a more PG version? I mean the recent DC comics have been quite bloody with sayrn cutting grayskulls throat. Just wondering
    MOTU is MOTU.
    Conan is Conan.
    Ffs...
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    MOTU is MOTU.
    Conan is Conan.
    Ffs...
    Wasnt saying it wasnít. I was more thinking of the sword and sorcery aspect and whether the Conan-esque level of violence would be acceptable or not to people

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    As you guys are talking about the 87 movie, I remember watching the late 70's Marvel live action TV shows when I was really little and it's the same thing to me. The production values were low, and LOTS of changes from the source material.

The Spider-Man show was pretty bad overall, but being a little kid and already having the Spider-Man comic books, watching the 60's animated series in syndication, plus having a Mego figure and a vinyl Halloween costume with a plastic mask that was hard to breath in...just seeing a "live" guy in a Spider-Man suit on TV was crazy cool. I look back on it now with a touch of nostalgia, but not as a serious take on the "real" Spider-Man.

Hulk was definitely better, but you still weren't going to see him fighting the Abomination. Superman movie was probably the best we got at that point.

Seeing the MOTU movie in 87, I mean, Dolph was still riding the wave of Rocky IV so even though he wasn't the perfect bulky look of my toys, it seemed like an awesome casting choice. I didn't like that they came to Earth in the movie, and didn't realize at the time that budget was so heavily influencing the production. I wanted the cartoon to come to life, plain and simple. I view it more as a quirky film, like a Howard the Duck (not literally the same of course, just that "off-beat" feel) than a truly epic production of some sort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'm sure this will get some hate, but personally, I don't even see the '87 movie as a true MOTU movie. I see it as a really bizarre, completely outside-the-box, Genre Blending, Fantasy B Movie. I don't even mean that as a dig, either.
    That seems like a good description really.
    Last edited by Granamyr's Helmet; January 27, 2021 at 04:54pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    As you guys are talking about the 87 movie, I remember watching the late 70's Marvel live action TV shows when I was really little and it's the same thing to me. The production values were low, and LOTS of changes from the source material.

The Spider-Man show was pretty bad overall, but being a little kid and already having the Spider-Man comic books, watching the 60's animated series in syndication, plus having a Mego figure and a vinyl Halloween costume with a plastic mask that was hard to breath in...just seeing a "live" guy in a Spider-Man suit on TV was crazy cool. I look back on it now with a touch of nostalgia, but not as a serious take on the "real" Spider-Man.

Hulk was definitely better, but you still weren't going to see him fighting the Abomination. Superman movie was probably the best we got at that point.

Seeing the MOTU movie in 87, I mean, Dolph was still the riding the wave of Rocky IV so even though he wasn't the perfect bulky look of my toys, it seemed like an awesome casting choice. I didn't like that they came to Earth in the movie, and didn't realize at the time that budget was so heavily influencing the production. I wanted the cartoon to come to life, plain and simple. I view it more as a quirky film, like a Howard the Duck (not literally the same of course, just that "off-beat" feel) than a truly epic production of some sort.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems like a good description really.
    The 87 movie could have, and should have been far better than it was. It was a massive missed opportunity, and MOTU never recovered from its failure.

Never cared about the deviations or lack of budget in the '87 movie. It's not the movie 4-year old Me would have written but I accepted and loved it anyway. Still do. It's one of my all-time favorite movies and I still watch it a lot.

I think some things didn't bother me about it as a kid because from the mini-comics and toys through to the cartoon show, I'd already seen the characters and lore go through a lot of changes. He-Man didn't always dress the same. Not every character was in every mini-comic or every episode of the show, so I never really questioned "Where's ____?" when I was watching the movie. I just figured they were offscreen somewhere doing something else. It wasn't as "iconic" as it perhaps could or should have been, but I still think it's a Perfectly Acceptable He-Man Adventure for what it is. Perfect? No. Just "perfectly acceptable" if taken on its own terms.

As for a new movie's tone or violence level, as others have said something akin to "Lord of the Rings" would be perfectly fine by me. I think that for an effective live-action movie you need to take the material seriously, especially when the characters are running around with swords and axes and maces and spears and whatnot. But you can still get away with a lot without having it go into full-blown "Punisher: War Zone" territory.

I just don't want a movie to be overly-campy or comedic. I think that would be even more of a missed opportunity than anything.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Wasnt saying it wasnít. I was more thinking of the sword and sorcery aspect and whether the Conan-esque level of violence would be acceptable or not to people
    Don't worry about comments like that. Obviously other people have enjoyed talking about the idea.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."