Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A violent motu movie

Widget
    I agree with those who have said more LOTR/Star Wars level.

I think MOTU like those franchises is such a visual experience that raising the "epic" factor but retaining a recognizable aesthetic would just be brilliant. A certain degree of believable combat makes sense, but the real magic would be seeing Eternia come to life at the level Middle Earth did in LOTR. If the violence went too over the top I think it would start to detract from the experience.

Plus I do like the thought of kids being able to see it...being a parent now, it's so cool being able to share something like the Star Wars franchise together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I don't even want to get started on how a MOTU film spend half the movie following around earth teens and a weird detective.
    I think this was the most unforgivable aspect of the movie, and especially insulting since there were many other films in the 80's and even 70's that did a much better job of capturing the look and feel of fantasy worlds than the premier fantasy-based property of the time - MOTU itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post

I think MOTU like those franchises is such a visual experience that raising the "epic" factor but retaining a recognizable aesthetic would just be brilliant. A certain degree of believable combat makes sense, but the real magic would be seeing Eternia come to life at the level Middle Earth did in LOTR. If the violence went too over the top I think it would start to detract from the experience.

Plus I do like the thought of kids being able to see it...being a parent now, it's so cool being able to share something like the Star Wars franchise together.
    I personally would love to see a MOTU film at the level of these movies but I worry that realistically it won't happen.

That's one reason I'm up for a more dark and violent movie that might have to focus more on heavy fight scenes rather than good story content. I don't necessarily think the content isn't available, I just worry due to money and talent restrictions the film may end up with.

I also think (and I wish this wasn't the case) that the heavy violence would actually be a draw to many "kids" and young adults. But I'd want the violence geared more towards "war type fighting" rather than any type of gore. And I'd love for He-man to approach these very dangerous and deadly situations and use his intelligence and strength to avoid unnecessary death.

But that's all just my wishful thinking. And I would give up my wishes for a movie on the scale and quality of a LOTR, Guardians, or even a Thor: Ragnarok type movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I think this was the most unforgivable aspect of the movie, and especially insulting since there were many other films in the 80's and even 70's that did a much better job of capturing the look and feel of fantasy worlds than the premier fantasy-based property of the time - MOTU itself.
    I walked in the theater the most excited for a movie that I'd ever been in my life and walked out more disappointed than I've ever been in my life.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post

I do not think that Lord of the Rings is a good template for Masters of the Universe, because LotR is high-fantasy, and MotU is low-fantasy. They are not really the same genre, just because there are fantasy elements in both. Masters of the Universe is closer to Star Wars, but the prequels and sequels are terrible, so I would not want to model MotU after a film series that is three for nine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    To be fair, this fish-out-of-water trope was common in fantasy films of the period. That is more the film being a product of its time.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I do not think that Lord of the Rings is a good template for Masters of the Universe, because LotR is high-fantasy, and MotU is low-fantasy. They are not really the same genre, just because there are fantasy elements in both. Masters of the Universe is closer to Star Wars, but the prequels and sequels are terrible, so I would not want to model MotU after a film series that is three for nine.
    I agree, I wasn't thinking of LOTR so much as a literal template. My thinking was more from an analogy that LOTR stayed close enough to the source material and had high production values, plus back to the original question the violence is not excessive (relatively speaking, some parts of LOTR get a little rough compared to say Star Wars I think).

Those of us who have read LOTR, then saw the movies, often said "yeah, they got a lot of stuff right!" That's simply what I'm thinking with MOTU...the visuals, the characterizations, just do some justice to what makes the history of it so great. If done well, I think Eternia would look very different from Middle Earth and not just be a derivative high fantasy setting, but would please fans in a similar way if that makes sense.