Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A violent motu movie

Heroic Warrior

A violent motu movie

So I have just been watching the Schwarzenegger movie Conan. Itís one of my favourite movies of its kind. My question is would you accept a motu movie as violent and as brutal as Conan. I personally wouldnít mind. Iíd personally like two versions, a grown up bloody version and a more Thor/lord of the rings version. Do you think a more adult version would appeal more? I know that traditionally motu is action packed but not necessarily violent but as an adult collector would you enjoy it? Or would you prefer a more PG version? I mean the recent DC comics have been quite bloody with sayrn cutting grayskulls throat. Just wondering

I 10000% would be! Im pre-filmation . so id love to see some all battles blood /gore etc.. why not.. we have the kid friendly ver... so how's about something grindy for the folks who like that sort of thing..
    FREAK OUT!!!!!! FREAK OUT!!!! YEAHHHH!

Bring it on, I say.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

I just want a good movie.

I would not like it. I'd rather a MotU be on the order of the movies you mentioned like Lord of the Rings and Thor, or maybe Pirates of the Caribbean and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lol, I just realized that I wrote three movies that have "of the" in the middle, just like Masters of the Universe. Maybe that's a good sign.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I just want a good movie.
    100 times this.

My dream would be a MOTU movie with the kind of quality, care, humor, and violence level of the LOTR movies. More violent than a kids movie, but not R-rated levels of blood and gore.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    100 times this.

My dream would be a MOTU movie with the kind of quality, care, humor, and violence level of the LOTR movies. More violent than a kids movie, but not R-rated levels of blood and gore.
    I absolutely agree with you Wakko!

Of course anyway they go, we all want a good movie. Just dont do kiddie, where they talk down to kids like they are idiots like all the kid flicks do now.

But yes, Conan is a fav of almost all kids that grew up in the 80s. So, yes I would love a violent, blood, t and a filled movie. The thickness of the Teela and Evil-Lyn art is what got me started into the perv that I am today.

Heroic Warrior
    I want it to look and feel like that vintage MOTU box art. Far more serious and violent than what was seen in the cartoon or comics, but having an amalgam of the stories from the cardbacks, comics, and cartoons (including 200x).

Hire a fan (or fans), someone (or two or three) who loves it, like they did with Cobra Kai. Not someone with their own personal goalposts (Kathleen Kennedy/Rian Johnson and the Disney Star Wars trilogy/Solo).

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    The thickness of the Teela and Evil-Lyn art is what got me started into the perv that I am today.
    Yeah....those thick, meaty thighs were very nice.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    Of course anyway they go, we all want a good movie. Just dont do kiddie, where they talk down to kids like they are idiots like all the kid flicks do now.

But yes, Conan is a fav of almost all kids that grew up in the 80s. So, yes I would love a violent, blood, t and a filled movie. The thickness of the Teela and Evil-Lyn art is what got me started into the perv that I am today.
    Sure that would be an example of "not a good movie".

For me, MOTU doesn't have a singular defining tone. It's such a rich world of characters and elements, that it can be anything from CONAN to GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and feel "right".

What it needs is a good movie, regardless of tone. It's not a franchise that can handle a bomb.

I would be fine with a hard PG-13 for theatres and an uncut, unrated hard R version for home cinema. Give the people the choice to see an adult story but still not lose boxoffice revenue.

Of course, this is al speculation that we'll have movie theatres when (if) a MOTU film is made.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

As a parent that is pretty discerning, Iíd prefer a kid-friendly movie. One more in the tone of Pirates of the Caribbean or Guardians of the Galaxy as has been suggested above. I also once suggested to take The LEGO Movie route and do an animated film with the vintage toys as the character models. Iíd want to be able to share a MOTU movie with my children, currently ages 3-14.

I also think making it too adult oriented limits itís potential to expand the brand. We want MOTU to reach new audiences and continue for another generation, right? Best way to do that is reach todayís children with quality entertainment.

While a violent Conan/GoT version of MOTU isn't something I can really see, I can see it for another, darker Filmation property.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

Court Magician
    I mean, a violent movie is fine, as long as they don't get so caught up in making it gory that they forget to write an interesting or good plot.

This idea continues to pop up in some form or another.

A "violent" MotU movie would be like a violent Superman movie... it goes against what most people associate with the property.

Masters of the Universe isn't cut from the same cloth as R.E. Howard's barbarian and doesn't require the brutality, that Conan does, to tell a good story or build its fantastic world.

Even if it wasn't done purposefully, it would scream shock-value and could potentially turn fans, old and new, away.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This idea continues to pop up in some form or another.

A "violent" MotU movie would be like a violent Superman movie... it goes against what most people associate with the property.

Masters of the Universe isn't cut from the same cloth as R.E. Howard's barbarian and doesn't require the brutality, that Conan does, to tell a good story or build its fantastic world.

Even if it wasn't done purposefully, it would scream shock-value and could potentially turn fans, old and new, away.
    A voice of reason.

Whoever ends up helming a MOTU movie needs to be able to walk a tight rope. Give it too much of a serious, violent tone, and people will be rolling their eyes at the more ridiculous aspects like a floating court jester, the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink hodge-podge of swords/sorcery/technology/science fiction, and a lot of the character names. But give it too much of a cartoony, "I'm-in-on-the-joke" attitude, and you'll alienate a lot of the lifelong fans who love the property.

The writers, director, and producers need to take the property seriously without draining it of its inherent charm and humor. Again, I think the LOTR movies are a good benchmark -- well-written, full of heroes you cared about, villains you loved to hate, top-notch special effects, real stakes, and the right amount of humor. But given the choice between sincerity and being able to cut a trailer that invites people to point and laugh at the more ridiculous aspects of the property, I fear they'll go for the latter, which is easier and more marketable. And takes less talent to create.

Seriously, I'd be shocked if a trailer for a MOTU movie didn't include a shot of Prince Adam peeking into a room and saying, "Hey... what's going on?", just so the average movie-goer can chuckle and say, "Hey, I get that reference!"

Sorry, back to the topic at hand: the violence level should be PG-13 at most. Think most Marvel movies.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

MOTU....a world filled with savage looking barbarians, human/animal hybrids, and many of them armed with melee weapons. A number of the characters could look downright terrifying in live action form. Bloody, gore filled battles with ripped open torsos and chopped off heads seem like a logical addition. That said, I could not possibly agree more with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    Whoever ends up helming a MOTU movie needs to be able to walk a tight rope. Give it too much of a serious, violent tone, and people will be rolling their eyes at the more ridiculous aspects like a floating court jester, the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink hodge-podge of swords/sorcery/technology/science fiction, and a lot of the character names. But give it too much of a cartoony, "I'm-in-on-the-joke" attitude, and you'll alienate a lot of the lifelong fans who love the property.

The writers, director, and producers need to take the property seriously without draining it of its inherent charm and humor. Again, I think the LOTR movies are a good benchmark -- well-written, full of heroes you cared about, villains you loved to hate, top-notch special effects, real stakes, and the right amount of humor. But given the choice between sincerity and being able to cut a trailer that invites people to point and laugh at the more ridiculous aspects of the property, I fear they'll go for the latter, which is easier and more marketable. And takes less talent to create.

Seriously, I'd be shocked if a trailer for a MOTU movie didn't include a shot of Prince Adam peeking into a room and saying, "Hey... what's going on?", just so the average movie-goer can chuckle and say, "Hey, I get that reference!"

Sorry, back to the topic at hand: the violence level should be PG-13 at most. Think most Marvel movies.
    MOTU is a very bizarre property. You can make it be whatever you want, and that's probably both a blessing and a curse.

Personally? I'd prefer something like a combination of The Princess Bride, Aquaman, and the Marvel movies. But that's just me. YMMV.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 14, 2021 at 09:06pm.
    Odd Man Out

I vehemently disagree that MotU isn't cut from the REH cloth. Filmation and related kidcentric media may have muddied the waters, but let's pretend that sacred cow never mooed.

At its core, He-Man and his cohorts are a morally altruistic, savage barbarian feudal tribe ensuring that the immorally malevolent, savage feudal tribe doesn't gain too much power. The swords, axes and guns that they all carry are not for decoration. Even the moderate and neutral "voice of reason" Zodac carries a big pistol (if Zodac is supposed to be the Gary Cooper High Noon sheriff in a galaxy gone wrong, this would be his Colt .45 Peacemaker; a reminder that even the pacifist must occasionally wield a tool of death.)

Let us not forget that the giant skull playset in the original line almost came shipped with a torture rack, shackles and a whip. We did get the dungeon crawling with unspeakable horrors, ready to torment whoever was unfortunately tripped up by the trapdoor overhead, however. Why would a "good guy" need such implements? I guess one could argue that "the castle is neutral and that stuff's only there in case the bad guys capture it," but that's not the point. This was a brutal world our characters inhabit.

I was glad to see this was the direction DC began exploring in the last several years. I think a movie along those same lines would be a welcome gift to the kids that were initially attracted to the line because He-Man was a jungle warrior who kicked teeth in first and took names later. Don't get me wrong; I loved the cartoon and the later minicomics, but they were not the same property in my mind. In my childhood head canon, the post-Filmation Eternia was a much later world inhabited by descendants of the original Masters of the Universe from the minicomics and DC miniseries.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

I think the problem with the thread is people equating something edgy or violent to, being mature.

Violence dosn't automatically make a story mature and when trying to use it as a substitute for that often just makes it seem more infantile.

To that end, yes I do think He-Man should cut bad guys down when he has to, in the movie. The guy who primarily fights with a sword and never uses ii offensively, is kind of ridiculous and defeats the purpose of his main weapon being a sword.

But that dosn't mean he should be throwing out buckets of gore when he does that, ideally it would be the same level of violence you would see out of Lord of The Rings or Pirates of The Caribbean.

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I think the problem with the thread is people equating something edgy or violent to, being mature.

Violence dosn't automatically make a story mature and when trying to use it as a substitute for that often just makes it seem more infantile.

To that end, yes I do think He-Man should cut bad guys down when he has to, in the movie. The guy who primarily fights with a sword and never uses ii offensively, is kind of ridiculous and defeats the purpose of his main weapon being a sword.

But that dosn't mean he should be throwing out buckets of gore when he does that, ideally it would be the same level of violence you would see out of Lord of The Rings or Pirates of The Caribbean.
    I think this is where Iím at. I want some awesome sword fights and some bad guys incapacitated, just not decapitated.

Court Magician
    Yeah. neccesary violence is fine. There's gonna be battles, it's a big part of the property. It would just look odd if they went out of their way to avoid it. So have some stabbing, some zapping, some actually painful looking magic. They can kill off some characters, if they're willing to accept the risk of backlash.

But it'd be too much if they just went "Oh, you know what'd be a hit? Buckets of blood everywhere!!! Let's have someone get cut in half! Let's dedicate an entire group of our effects team to just work on the hyperrealistic corpses left in He Man's wake! We'll have lingering close up shots and everything!!! By the end of this movie three quarters of the cast are going to be dead and the audience will totally love it!! Let's gorily kill off orko as a way of stating that we HATE the filmation show (and we totally know that everyone else hates it too!!) What? You're saying He Man wouldn't realistically just turn to violence on a whim and we need to justify it? Uh. Idk. Just fridge Marlena or even Teela to kickstart a revenge plot i guess. They didn't do anything important in the franchise, right? Oh well, I'm off to render Keldor's melted face in stunning 4K."

I don't think they'd go quite as far, realistically, but it's what I think of whenever I see someone begging desperate for what they say is a "violent motu movie". I find that companies and studios tend to get carried away with gore to the point where they forget to write a good story.

Heroic Warrior
    I dont want it more violent than what was seen in '87 movie
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

I want it Lord of the Rings levels only.

Heroic Warrior
    Just to put it out there, Iím not advocating a Conan game of thrones level of violence etc was just interested to see if people would want that or would prefer a lord of the rings marvel level of action and violence.