Thread: Awesome Novel Releases 2021

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Awesome Novel Releases 2021

There are some awesome novels being released this year, and I'm looking forward to adding them to my collection. One is a DC Comics Icons novel (Black Canary: Breaking Silence by Alexandra Monir), one is a Disney Villains novel (Cold Hearted by Serena Valentino), and there are two Disney Twisted Tales novels (Go The Distance by Jen Calonita and What Once Was Mine by Liz Braswell).

Here are the synopses:

Black Canary: Breaking Silence - December 30 2020:

*Dinah Lance was eight years old when she overheard the impossible: the sound of a girl singing. It was something she was never meant to hear--not in her lifetime and not in Gotham City, taken over by the vicious, patriarchal Court of Owls. The sinister organization rules Gotham City as a dictatorship and has stripped women of everything--their right to work, to make music, to learn, to be free.

Now seventeen, Dinah can't forget that haunting sound, and she's beginning to discover that her own voice is just as powerful. But singing is forbidden--a one-way route to a certain death sentence. Fighting to balance her father's desire to keep her safe, a blossoming romance with mysterious new student Oliver Queen, and her own need to help other women and girls rise up, Dinah wonders if her song will finally be heard. And will her voice be powerful enough to destroy the Court of Owls once and for all?*

Go The Distance (Hercules) - April 6 2021:

*After Hercules proves he's a true hero and regains his godship, all seems right in the world. That is, until Zeus tells Meg that she can't be with Hercules because she's, well, mortal. Luckily, Hera has a solution, offering Meg a chance to prove herself worthy of a spot on Mt. Olympus–as a god. All Meg has to do is complete a mysterious quest.

The mission? Oh, just to rescue her ex's current wife from the Underworld. The ex-boyfriend she saved by selling her soul to Hades. The ex-boyfriend who immediately moved on to someone else while she was stuck in the Underworld. Can Meg put her past behind her and use her quick-wit to defeat monsters and gods alike, including the nefarious Hades? Will she finally figure out her place and contribution to the world? Or will her fear of commitment have her running away from an eternity of godhood with Herc?*

Cold Hearted (Cinderella) - June 29 2021:

*Lady Tremaine, widowed and raising two headstrong girls alone, finds herself falling for a dashing knight from a far-off land who is looking for a stepmother for his own young daughter. But stepmothers in the Many Kingdoms never tend to fare well and Lady Tremaine may be destined for a not-so-happily ever after.*

What Once Was Mine (Tangled) - September 7:

*Desperate to save the queen and her unborn child, the Corona guards seek the all-healing sundrop flower, but mistakenly acquire the glowing moondrop flower instead. It does cure the queen, and she delivers a healthy baby girl with hair as silver and gray as the moon. But soon it becomes clear that the princess's hair is dangerous. And for her safety, and the safety of the kingdom, Rapunzel is locked in a tower and put under the care of powerful goodwife, Mother Gothel.

For eighteen years, Rapunzel stays locked away, knowing she must protect others from her intense power. But when she is drawn out of the only home she's ever known, she gets caught up in a quest across the kingdom with two thieves-a young woman named Gina who also happened to be raised by a goodwife, and Flynn, a rogue on the run. And Rapunzel learns that there may be more to her story, and her magical tresses, than she ever knew.*
    Last edited by Mikey; January 14, 2021 at 07:06am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Although it's technically not a novel, Gina Schock from The Go-Go's is releasing a book of photos and stories from the band's rich history. I'm looking forward to that.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I try to read a few novels a year. So far I read Ready Player Two (fantastic, but not as good as the first) and Inside Star Trek (published in the 90s, but a great inside look to Star Trek production).

This is a busy time of year for me so I probably will not read another book until the summer. Probably Pixel Dan's MotU book!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

My growing novel collection has been a source of solace for me being in and out of hospital over the last year or so, I especially love the Disney Villains, Disney Twisted Tales (I still have six to read in this set) and DC Icons novels.

I'm not aware of any anticipated releases this year, but I do have a prodigious TBR list, including Brandon Sanderson's Rhythm of War, Ken Follett's The Evening and the Morning, and Colleen McCollough's The October Horse.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

I've found another selection of Disney novels I would love to have:

Beauty And The Beast movie novelization by Elizabeth Rudnick.

Beauty And The Beast: Lost In A Book by Jennifer Donnelly.

Maleficent movie novelization by Elizabeth Rudnick.

Cinderella movie novelization by Elizabeth Rudnick.

Aladdin: Road To Agrabah by Aisha Saeed.

Frozen 2: Forest Of Shadows by Kamilla Benko.

Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story Of Iduna And Agnarr by Mari Mancusi.

Disney Frozen: A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick.