Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Kamen Rider 50th Anniversary

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996

    Kamen Rider 50th Anniversary

    In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Kamen Rider franchise Toei will be uploading the first two to three episodes of each series to their youtube page for english speaking audiences. With a new series being added each week.

    Honestly I really enjoy the franchise despite having only gotten into a couple of years ago so this is fun news for me and anyone else who might be interested, since this is a great chance to get little taste of each series and see what one will like.

    And now for your viewing pleasure,

    Episode one of the original series.



    and episode two.



    Remember to turn on the captions for the subtitles.

    Man people unfamiliar with the franchise are gonna so confused with the naming of the second series, when that gets uploaded.
    Last edited by A Dalek; January 16, 2021 at 09:17pm.

  2. #2
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,978
    I absolutely love Masked Rider! I haven't seen the original Japanese version.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,218
    been wanting to get into the show, got a short list I will likely try to get ahold of and try out.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I absolutely love Masked Rider! I haven't seen the original Japanese version.
    I'm afraid Kamen Rider fans really don't like Masked Rider. I think their hate for it's a bit overblown but I can't say their criticisms are invalid.

    For some additional fun the Kamen Rider series that Masked Rider was adapted from, was called Kamen Rider Black RX, which itself was a follow up to the previous series simply called Kamen Rider Black.

    There was actualy another attempt to adapt Kamen Rider for the west in the 2000's called Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. Which was adapted from a series called Kamen Rider Ryuki. Dragon Knight was much better received by the fans than Masked Rider and a lot of them actualy consider it to be better than Ryuki.

    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    been wanting to get into the show, got a short list I will likely try to get ahold of and try out.
    Black, Kuuga, W, OOO and Gaim are generally considered to be the best ones, if that helps.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm afraid Kamen Rider fans really don't like Masked Rider. I think their hate for it's a bit overblown but I can't say their criticisms are invalid.

    For some additional fun the Kamen Rider series that Masked Rider was adapted from, was called Kamen Rider Black RX, which itself was a follow up to the previous series simply called Kamen Rider Black.

    There was actualy another attempt to adapt Kamen Rider for the west in the 2000's called Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. Which was adapted from a series called Kamen Rider Ryuki. Dragon Knight was much better received by the fans than Masked Rider and a lot of them actualy consider it to be better than Ryuki.



    Black, Kuuga, W, OOO and Gaim are generally considered to be the best ones, if that helps.
    Others I saw well liked were the Black RX, Agito, Fourze and Build.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Others I saw well liked were the Black RX, Agito, Fourze and Build.
    Fourze is good from what I've seen and heard (I've only watched a few episodes of it myself), it probably helps that it forms a loose trilogy with W and OOO.

    Black RX tends to have more mixed views in my experience. With a big point of contention being that while it's a decent show in it's own right, it feels off as a sequel to Black, due to the massive shift in tone between the two and the story of RX more less having nothing to do with the story of Black. Although I did like what I saw of RX personally. If you end up liking Black and Black RX then it might be worth checking out episodes 26 and 27 of Decade, since it features Black/RX's actor returning to reprise his role.

    As a personal recommendation I really liked Zero One.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,218
    Yeah, plan was to more or less go in chronological order of release but skip RX first since what I read it's kind of a sequel but also almost a spinoff but neither. I would say kind of like Frazier is to Cheers, some characters come are there but setting is different both are comedies but have kind of a different tone.

    I do recall watching a few eps of Masked Rider back in the day and kind of was eeeh about it. Watched MMPR off and on, but I could see how the formula that worked in adapting that didn't translate as well to Kamen Rider especially after watching several episodes of Super Sentai.

    But it is interesting this is like the 2nd or 3rd time I had thought about checking out Kamen Rider and was even thinking of making a post here about which series to check out. I did find it interesting that most of the best series lists I looked at Black was the oldest entry.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    I think part of it might be that, the ones the preceded Black are a bit to dated and campy to really take seriously. Not that they can't be enjoyed, but Black's efforts to tone down the campiness and give it a bit more of a story, probably made it easier to get invested in the plot.

    Black came five years after the previous series, so the franchise basically went from 70's/early80's sensibilities, to late 80's sensibilities.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Apologies for the double post but I felt like keeping up to date with what series they are adding to youtube.

    And this week it's the 2002 series Kamen Rider Ryuki (guess they aren't going in order).

    Ryuki is quite a unique series and is somewhat of a deconstruction of the franchise. As oppose to previous entries that either focused on a single rider or occasionally two or three, Ryuki had a whopping thirteen riders. The story also added a lot more moral ambiguity to the title of Kamen Rider, as the riders of this series is are all stuck in a deadly battle royal wit each other were only one can be left alive. To add to that Ryuki also was the first season to introduce the idea of evil Kamen Riders to act as foils to the more heroics ones, as several participants in this battle royal, are most certainly bad guys.

    These traits made it somewhat controversial among the fandom, with finding it a fascinating deconstruction of the franchise, while others found it far to much of a departure, while others didn't hate it's concept but found it's exicution to be a pretentious meandering mess. One way or the other the idea of evil riders would become a staple of the franchise after this.

    Anyway with all that in mind here's the first episode of Kamen Rider Ryuki. Hope you enjoy.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Well continuing with the random order of Kamen Rider stuff being uploaded, we know have the first episode of the 1974 series, Kamen Rider Amazon.

    A rather unique series for it's time, it broke away from the previous formula, of cyborg who fights against terrorist organisation (as had been with the prior three series) and instead has it's main hero be a Tarzanesqe wildman, who's abilities were more mystical in nature.

    It is probably most famous (or infamous) for being much more gory than the other entries in the franchise. This was done mainly to get across the idea that the titular rider had more feral and animalistic fighting style than his predecessors. And as a result he would violently dismember his opponents in battle.



    Also guys if you want me to stop with this please say so, I don't want to clog up the place with a thread no ones interested in.
    Last edited by A Dalek; January 22, 2021 at 12:13pm.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,218
    Kind of surprised there aren't at least a few others who are into Kamen Rider.

    I know there used to be some.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  10. #10
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    6,978
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I think part of it might be that, the ones the preceded Black are a bit to dated and campy to really take seriously. Not that they can't be enjoyed, but Black's efforts to tone down the campiness and give it a bit more of a story, probably made it easier to get invested in the plot.

    Black came five years after the previous series, so the franchise basically went from 70's/early80's sensibilities, to late 80's sensibilities.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Apologies for the double post but I felt like keeping up to date with what series they are adding to youtube.

    And this week it's the 2002 series Kamen Rider Ryuki (guess they aren't going in order).

    Ryuki is quite a unique series and is somewhat of a deconstruction of the franchise. As oppose to previous entries that either focused on a single rider or occasionally two or three, Ryuki had a whopping thirteen riders. The story also added a lot more moral ambiguity to the title of Kamen Rider, as the riders of this series is are all stuck in a deadly battle royal wit each other were only one can be left alive. To add to that Ryuki also was the first season to introduce the idea of evil Kamen Riders to act as foils to the more heroics ones, as several participants in this battle royal, are most certainly bad guys.

    These traits made it somewhat controversial among the fandom, with finding it a fascinating deconstruction of the franchise, while others found it far to much of a departure, while others didn't hate it's concept but found it's exicution to be a pretentious meandering mess. One way or the other the idea of evil riders would become a staple of the franchise after this.

    Anyway with all that in mind here's the first episode of Kamen Rider Ryuki. Hope you enjoy.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrO7vBqZaFQ

    - - - Updated - - -

    Well continuing with the random order of Kamen Rider stuff being uploaded, we know have the first episode of the 1974 series, Kamen Rider Amazon.

    A rather unique series for it's time, it broke away from the previous formula, of cyborg who fights against terrorist organisation (as had been with the prior three series) and instead has it's main hero be a Tarzanesqe wildman, who's abilities were more mystical in nature.

    It is probably most famous (or infamous) for being much more gory than the other entries in the franchise. This was done mainly to get across the idea that the titular rider had more feral and animalistic fighting style than his predecessors. And as a result he would violently dismember his opponents in battle.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUIq-FIQ0oA

    Also guys if you want me to stop with this please say so, I don't want to clog up the place with a thread no ones interested in.
    I'm very much interested, I've just been in hospital all week and am only just getting back online.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,136
    I seen some of Masked Rider growing up. I didn't like it that much, but I did like the character designs and got an action figure of Super Blue which I thought was awesome. Years later i found it is Bio Rider from Kamen Rider Black RX. I watched a few episodes of the original Japanese show and it was pretty awesome.

    I wish Hasbro would make some Lightning Collection style Masked Rider figures.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I seen some of Masked Rider growing up. I didn't like it that much, but I did like the character designs and got an action figure of Super Blue which I thought was awesome. Years later i found it is Bio Rider from Kamen Rider Black RX. I watched a few episodes of the original Japanese show and it was pretty awesome.

    I wish Hasbro would make some Lightning Collection style Masked Rider figures.
    Well all three of RX's forms have SH Figuarts (in fact his basic form has two)

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,218
    Yeah I have thought about getting a few of the Kamen Rider figures from Bandai Figuarts. While I do have figures from media I never got into or in some cases didn't even like, I try to keep that to a minimum. I know they are a bit more costly, but I had looked into Gaim because of this guy https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/141705
    But something Mark might find a bit more appealing https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131199 10 figures for Just under 100 bucks (us) or https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/140141 for 70, based on the pictures Hasbro lightning will be better quality in terms of articulation etc and these would be more in line with 1/18 scale figures.

    Something that could work for a topic is a more general Kamen Rider/Sentai/Power Rangers thread. While most of the conversation would be on Power Rangers itself, it would be something that could be tagged in with that though since 'similar'

    We may have a thread on this but the search function hasn't worked for me in quite a while and I always forget to say something about it in the tech forum. Which I think I saw someone posted something about it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Yeah I have thought about getting a few of the Kamen Rider figures from Bandai Figuarts. While I do have figures from media I never got into or in some cases didn't even like, I try to keep that to a minimum. I know they are a bit more costly, but I had looked into Gaim because of this guy https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/141705
    But something Mark might find a bit more appealing https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131199 10 figures for Just under 100 bucks (us) or https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/140141 for 70, based on the pictures Hasbro lightning will be better quality in terms of articulation etc and these would be more in line with 1/18 scale figures.

    Something that could work for a topic is a more general Kamen Rider/Sentai/Power Rangers thread. While most of the conversation would be on Power Rangers itself, it would be something that could be tagged in with that though since 'similar'

    We may have a thread on this but the search function hasn't worked for me in quite a while and I always forget to say something about it in the tech forum. Which I think I saw someone posted something about it.
    A big problem with Figuarts is that they tend to only release a shows main Rider (in his basic default form) regularly and limit everyone else too exclusives. Which of course makes second hand sellers, sell them at insane prices. That being said Mandarake might be ones best bet to get them, since that place sells them at more less their original price. Kind of wish I discovered it sooner.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Yeah I have thought about getting a few of the Kamen Rider figures from Bandai Figuarts. While I do have figures from media I never got into or in some cases didn't even like, I try to keep that to a minimum. I know they are a bit more costly, but I had looked into Gaim because of this guy https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/141705
    But something Mark might find a bit more appealing https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131199 10 figures for Just under 100 bucks (us) or https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/140141 for 70, based on the pictures Hasbro lightning will be better quality in terms of articulation etc and these would be more in line with 1/18 scale figures.

    Something that could work for a topic is a more general Kamen Rider/Sentai/Power Rangers thread. While most of the conversation would be on Power Rangers itself, it would be something that could be tagged in with that though since 'similar'

    We may have a thread on this but the search function hasn't worked for me in quite a while and I always forget to say something about it in the tech forum. Which I think I saw someone posted something about it.
    Those figures are pretty cool. I have also bought some figures I knew little about, just thought they were cool looking and fun.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    Well all three of RX's forms have SH Figuarts (in fact his basic form has two)
    The SH Figuarts are preety cool and I did come pretty close to buying it. But I like a toyline to have the heroes and villains and vehicles etc.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Those figures are pretty cool. I have also bought some figures I knew little about, just thought they were cool looking and fun.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The SH Figuarts are preety cool and I did come pretty close to buying it. But I like a toyline to have the heroes and villains and vehicles etc.
    There is a Figuarts for Shadow Moon (I should know I have it) who was the main villain of Black and returned in a few episodes of Black RX and I think they also did release RX's bike and car in the line as well.

    There are a few villains who have Figuarts, but they mostly limit the line to the riders, on the bright side there are enough evil riders at this point to make up a respectable villain side of the collection.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    There is a Figuarts for Shadow Moon (I should know I have it) who was the main villain of Black and returned in a few episodes of Black RX and I think they also did release RX's bike and car in the line as well.

    There are a few villains who have Figuarts, but they mostly limit the line to the riders, on the bright side there are enough evil riders at this point to make up a respectable villain side of the collection.
    Why did you have to say they made villains and the bike LOL. I don't wan't spending more money collecting Kamen Rider.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior wyldman11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Why did you have to say they made villains and the bike LOL. I don't wan't spending more money collecting Kamen Rider.
    I would suggest not looking up the bikes then. Even then Aoshima has some amazing looking models. Thinks I have to tell myself to stay away from.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

    There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

    Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    - - - Updated - - -

    Update Episode two of Ryuki. Presumably tomorrow will bring episode two of Amazon.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Episode 2 of Amazon. You all may have noticed a certain pattern regarding the first two monster of every series at this point.



    - - - Updated - - -

    For the month of February Toei have a cool little timeline of significant Kamen Rider events that happened in said month. I hope you guys find it interesting. Also question for the mods. Is this really ok? I'm doing a lot of multi posting here and double posting is generally bad form, let alone what I'm doing now. So if there is a problem with me doing this, please let me know and I will cut it out.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Another weak and entry in the Rider franchise. This time it's the 2001 series, Kamen Rider Agito.

    Agito is the second entry in what is known as the Heisei era of the franchise, after the previous season Kamen Rider Kuuga, had revived the franchise after about a decade away from tv screens. As a result they were still figuring out what they wanted Heisei Kamen Rider as a whole to be (which also part of why the prior discussed Ryuki was so experimental). In the case of Agito it was initially intended for it's story to be deeply tied to Kuuga's, but this idea was scrapped in favour of making it more stand alone. However some aspects of this are still present in the early episodes, such as a few references being made to the events of Kuuga. While Agito is quite a popular season, with a very unique take on the motivations for the enemy monsters, it is not without it's issues or detractors. Due it being the first season of the rather controversial writer Toshiki Inoue. More specify Inoue's writing style as he tends to write a lot of his character as jerks (including the ones he dosn't intend to be jerks) and his stories often involve season spanning conflicts and problems, that could easily be solved if the cast would just take a few minutes to talk to each other and clear things up, with one of his bigger faults being how his stories rarely create circumstances were this feels justified.

    All that being said. The first episode of Kamen Rider Agito. Hope you enjoy. @wyldman11 I know you said you heard it was good, now's your chance to check it out.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Episode 2 of Agito. They seem to have forgoton to subtitle this one.



    - - - Updated - - -

    This week is the 1973 series Kamen Rider V3, the second entry in the franchise. Why is the second called V3 you ask? Well the actor who played the original Kamen Rider was badly injured in a stunt during the first series and had to take several months off filming to recover. Rather than recast him, they opted to temporally right the character out and introduce a new one to take the up the mantle of Kamen Rider. With both characters sharing the mantle once the original actor had recovered. Thus when the second series came around, the titular hero was refereed to as V3, because he was the third rider.

    With all that in mind episode 1 of V3.



    Question for you guys, do you want me to continue with these posts? Do you like my little right ups on each series? Cause if the answer is no, don't hesitate to let me know, ok?
    Last edited by A Dalek; February 12, 2021 at 12:30pm.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    996
    Continuing with the uploads of the Kamen Rider franchise, this week we have the 2000 series, Kamen Rider Kuuga. I don't think I can put any more videos in the Post So I'm just gonna leave a link to the playlist.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y56...4JRWt34C_3ylwc

    Anyway Kuuga is a very important installment of the franchise, from a historical stand point. For some context the Kamen Rider franchise, had more or less been in hibernation throughout the 90's. Until they decided to revive the franchise in the year 2000, in what would be known as the franchises Heisei era. To that end, Kuuga did away with the campy tone, and Cobraesqe evil organisations of prior seasons. Opting for a story with more mystical elements and a more down to earth tone (I'm aware that might sound like a bit of an oxymoron). It would also place more emphasis on the horror aspects the franchise was initially intended to have, with the villains being an ancient tribe of what were essentially serial killers, there actions often more resembling what you see in a horror movie, than the campy villains of old. Kuuga ended being a huge success and revived the franchise more less for good (it hasn't missed a single year since Kuuga aired). Kuuga is often considered one of the very best entries in the franchise and is very iconic for being the first Heisei Kamen Rider.

    And as a bit of explanation for what Heisei is. Heisei was actualy the name of the era in Japan at the time, with the prior entries in the franchise having all aired during what was known as the Showa Era (technically Black RX finished it's run in the Heisei era, but began in the Showa era). Kuuga was the first tv series of the franchise to air during the Heisei era. To that end the series that were made after the revival were refereed to as Hesei Kamen Rider, to differentiate them from the franchises original incarnations and are often treated almost like a separate brand from the Showa Kamen Riders. Of course Japan did change over to the Reiwa era, since then and the 2018 series Kamen Rider ZI-O was officially branded as the final entry for the Heisei Riders. With the 2019 series Kamen Rider Zero One, being officially branded as the first Reiwa entry of the franchise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •