Thread: She Rocks Awards 2021

She Rocks Awards 2021

I know I already have a female musicians thread, but this is a slightly different (although related topic) about a specific award that deserves it's own thread.

https://parade.com/1118267/laurawhit...s-awards-2021/

The Go-Go's (Belinda Carlisle, Charlotte Caffey, Jane Wiedlin, Kathy Valentine & Gina Schock) are finally being honoured with the accolades they deserve. This is the first I've heard of these awards, but apparently my other favourite band The Bangles (Susanna Hoffs, Vicki Peterson, Debbi Peterson & Michael Steele) have already been honoured with this award so that makes me doubly happy.

sherocksawards.com

*Get ready to rock! The She Rocks Awards is celebrating their ninth anniversary with a virtual show that will showcase a gathering of incredible female talent! As we have in past years, we’ll be hosting it live right here at Parade.com, so join us on Friday, January 22, 2021 at 6:30 PM PT.

The Women’s International Music Network (the WiMN) proudly announces a stellar array of honorees for the 2021 She Rocks Awards, sponsored by Positive Grid. This high-energy evening will include live virtual music performances, awards and speeches, celebrity appearances, a fabulous silent auction and much more—all available online. A VIP gift box and afterparty are available for the ultimate She Rocks experience!

The Women’s International Music Network (the WiMN) proudly announces a stellar array of honorees for the 2021 She Rocks Awards, sponsored by Positive Grid. This high-energy evening will include live virtual music performances, awards and speeches, celebrity appearances, a fabulous silent auction and much more—all available online. A VIP gift box and afterparty are available for the ultimate She Rocks experience.

She Rocks Awards founder Laura B. Whitmore says, “The She Rocks Awards was created to bring us together and lift us all up with an evening of positive community and shared experience. This year is no different! I am so thrilled to honor these amazing role models and share their inspiring stories.”

She Rocks Awards pays tribute to women who display leadership and stand out within the music industry, and has become a standard at the NAMM Show. Previous award recipients include Melissa Etheridge, Pat Benatar, Gloria Gaynor, The B-52s, Suzi Quatro, Colbie Caillat, Sheila E, Chaka Khan, Ronnie Spector, Orianthi, Lisa Loeb, The Bangles, and many more, plus a collection of role models from all walks of the music and audio industries.

The 2021 She Rocks Awards is sponsored by Positive Grid, Sweetwater, Roland, PRS Guitars, PreSonus, NAMM, Fishman, Marshall, D’Addario, Reverb, The Music People, Cuccio, MAC Cosmetics, Clif, WRiiG, Berklee School of Music, Parade, Future Publishing, Guitar World, Musicradar and Guitar Girl Magazine.

This year’s virtual event is free to the public, and VIP experience tickets can be purchased at sherocksawards.com.

The 2021 She Rocks Awards recipients include:

The Go-Go’s — the first all-female band to top the Billboard charts that both wrote their own songs and played their own instruments.
    Cherie Currie — founding member of the pioneering all-female rock band The Runaways.
    Cindy Blackman Santana — respected jazz and rock drummer with Santana and Lenny Kravitz among many others.
    Amy Lee — co-founder and lead vocalist for the rock band Evanescence.
    Margaret Cho — Emmy and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian, actress, fashion designer, author, and singer-songwriter.
    Starr Parodi — composer, pianist, conductor, arranger, music director and president of The Alliance For Women Film Composers.
    Ann Mincieli — Grammy-winning recording engineer, studio coordinator for Alicia Keys and co-founder of NYC-destination studio Jungle City.
    Sharon Hennessey — co-president and co-owner of The Music People.
    Gwen Riley — Senior VP of Music for Peloton Interactive.

This year’s event will be hosted by previous award recipient, LZZY HALE, front-woman for the rock band, Halestorm, with Yahoo Entertainment’s Lyndsey Parker hosting the pre-show countdown.

This year’s opening performers will be Lexington KY rock and soul band Magnolia Boulevard, sponsored by PRS Guitars, and featuring lead vocalist Maggie Noelle, guitarist Gregg Erwin, drummer Todd Copeland, keyboardist Ryan Allen and bassist John Roberts.*

Watch the virtual press conference here:

Wow Amy Lee, and Jane Wiedlin.
    Congratulations to both (and all), they more than deserve the recognition.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I've never heard of this awards show.

While this might tie in enough to merge with the Female Musicians thread, we can see if it gains any traction before that.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Kathy Valentine is releasing a new music video for Beneath The Blue Sky tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that.

I wish Charlotte Caffey and Gina Schock would release new solo music too.

- - - Updated - - -

I missed The She Rocks Awards because I was in hospital at the time, but it was filmed and uploaded on YouTube to be enjoyed for all time. It's awesome seeing The Go-Go's and The Bangles get the honour, respect and accolades they deserve!

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely and talented Susanna Hoffs has uploaded some rare songs and classic favourites to her website.

https://www.susannahoffs.com/music
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Joe Burrow is my favorite member of the Bangles. He was very impressive in his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Joe Burrow is my favorite member of the Bangles. He was very impressive in his rookie year.
    There has never been a Joe Burrow in The Bangles. There has only ever been Susanna Hoffs, sisters Vicki & Debbi Peterson, the now retired Michael Steele, as well as former and now again current member Annette Zilinskas and for a time, Abby Travis.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    As a wrestling fan I will say my favourite "Bengals" member is Brian Pillman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    As a wrestling fan I will say my favourite "Bengals" member is Brian Pillman.
    I admit I was more than a little confused, I know nothing about sports and wrestling (other than the two Scooby Doo/WWE movies).

I just didn't want to be rude about it.

However, Scooby is linked to The Go-Go's through Jane Wiedlin as one of The Hex Girls.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is also linked to The Go-Go's through the 2003-2009's series music score composer Ralph Schuckett, who had written a few songs with Belinda Carlisle and Charlotte Caffey for Belinda's 1993 album Real, one of which was Lay Down Your Arms which Charlotte had previously recorded herself with Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti as The Graces on their Perfect View album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I admit I was more than a little confused, I know nothing about sports and wrestling (other than the two Scooby Doo/WWE movies).

I just didn't want to be rude about it.

However, Scooby is linked to The Go-Go's through Jane Wiedlin as one of The Hex Girls.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is also linked to The Go-Go's through the 2003-2009's series music score composer Ralph Schuckett, who had written a few songs with Belinda Carlisle and Charlotte Caffey for Belinda's 1993 album Real, one of which was Lay Down Your Arms which Charlotte had previously recorded herself with Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti as The Graces on their Perfect View album.
    Did you know The Bangles are in Cyndi Lauper's "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough" Part 2 music video? Parts 1 and 2 feature a lot of 80's WWF wrestlers. Captain Lou, Wendy Richter, Fabulous Moolah, Roddy piper, Freddie Blassie, iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff and Andre The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Did you know The Bangles are in Cyndi Lauper's "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough" Part 2 music video? Parts 1 and 2 feature a lot of 80's WWF wrestlers. Captain Lou, Wendy Richter, Fabulous Moolah, Roddy piper, Freddie Blassie, iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff and Andre The Giant.
    Yes I knew.

The Bangles had a few celebrity guests in some of their music videos as well, including Leonard Nimoy who appeared as a cab driver in Going Down To Liverpool (lead vocals by Debbi Peterson). There's a funny scene where Nimoy turns off the radio interrupting Debbi's singing and her sister Vicki Peterson leans over and turns the radio back on with a steely glare.