View Poll Results: Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will.

25 71.43%
  • No, I will not.

7 20.00%
  • I am undecided...

3 8.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

I already got it.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I've never taken a flu shot before, but I received both shots for COVID. Better safe than sorry.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Just got my first shot today. 3 weeks for the second one
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Master of New Adventures!
    Got both Pfizer shots, the last one three weeks ago, so I'm good to go. Finally something good about being a senior citizen, although Indiana just lowered the vaccination age to 40. Indiana's mask mandate is switch to becoming "advisory" on April 5th. I think Indiana did an admirable job of navigating the pandemic -- the truly tragic loss of life certainly not withstanding -- with the majority of businesses remaining open with understandable restrictions. We went from an unemployment high of 16.9% in April 2020 to 6.2% in March 2021. Not where we want to be, but certainly far better than where we once were at.

All I want to do it sit maskless in a pub, have a couple of Guinnesses and watch a baseball game, cheering with fellow maskless patrons.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    I've never taken a flu shot before, but I received both shots for COVID. Better safe than sorry.
    This is part of the reason the flu is a seaonal recurrence. We emphasize vaccination for vulnerable populations, when 85% of people need to be vaccinated in order to control it. Hopefully, COVID-19 will change our habits around things like the flu. I get my second dose in a week.

Master of New Adventures!
    And also very responsible to others. Bravo, BV!

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    This is part of the reason the flu is a seaonal recurrence. We emphasize vaccination for vulnerable populations, when 85% of people need to be vaccinated in order to control it. Hopefully, COVID-19 will change our habits around things like the flu. I get my second dose in a week.
    But with the Flu there are also multiple strains for which the vaccine gives no protection. And it's also proven that you can still get the strains it protects against, even if you have been vaccinated. So I don't believe everyone getting the flu shot would stop it's recurrence.

What I do hope occurs is that Covid-19 changes our views on how we treat things like a person with what they think is a common cold or other low grade illness symptom. I know things like the flu and other illnesses (including Covid) spread because people "need to be at work", or "aren't really that sick". I believe most illnesses spread due to people being sick and going about their normal lives, spreading their germs. Sometimes it's unknowingly, and sometimes they know but have no regard for others.

I've had the flu twice. In both cases it was due to coming in direct contact with a person that was sick but came to public places anyway (work and a funeral).
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    But with the Flu there are also multiple strains for which the vaccine gives no protection. And it's also proven that you can still get the strains it protects against, even if you have been vaccinated. So I don't believe everyone getting the flu shot would stop it's recurrence.

What I do hope occurs is that Covid-19 changes our views on how we treat things like a person with what they think is a common cold or other low grade illness symptom. I know things like the flu and other illnesses (including Covid) spread because people "need to be at work", or "aren't really that sick". I believe most illnesses spread due to people being sick and going about their normal lives, spreading their germs. Sometimes it's unknowingly, and sometimes they know but have no regard for others.

I've had the flu twice. In both cases it was due to coming in direct contact with a person that was sick but came to public places anyway (work and a funeral).
    Seasonal vaccines protect against the four flu viruses that researchers indicate will be the most prevalent, but one can still become infected with one of the other 14. However, since influenza is a family of viruses, seasonal vaccines have a therapeutic effect, reducing the duration and severity of illness. The reason flu is not controlled is not because the vaccines are not effective, it is because the vaccination rate is not high enough. If 85% or more of the population received the flu vaccine, it would significantly limit the available hosts for the viruses, and their ability to replicate. But since we only emphasize flu vaccination for vulnerable populations in this country, flu viruses spread throughout the population, and we have a recurrent flu season year-after-year.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Seasonal vaccines protect against the four flu viruses that researchers indicate will be the most prevalent, but one can still become infected with one of the other 14. However, since influenza is a family of viruses, seasonal vaccines have a therapeutic effect, reducing the duration and severity of illness. The reason flu is not controlled is not because the vaccines are not effective, it is because the vaccination rate is not high enough. If 85% or more of the population received the flu vaccine, it would significantly limit the available hosts for the viruses, and their ability to replicate. But since we only emphasize flu vaccination for vulnerable populations in this country, flu viruses spread throughout the population, and we have a recurrent flu season year-after-year.
    From what I've read there have been studies that support this but it is not really proven. And let's say I've gotten the vaccination but now I've still acquired one of the flu strains the vaccine is supposed to prevent. If I have lesser symptoms am I any less contagious? If someone catches the flu from me will they get a "weakened" flu?

I still say that the vaccine itself is not effective enough to limit the spread of the flu. I think people treating general illness more like we treated Covid would do far more to limit the spread of things like the Flu.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    From what I've read there have been studies that support this but it is not really proven. And let's say I've gotten the vaccination but now I've still acquired one of the flu strains the vaccine is supposed to prevent. If I have lesser symptoms am I any less contagious? If someone catches the flu from me will they get a "weakened" flu?

I still say that the vaccine itself is not effective enough to limit the spread of the flu. I think people treating general illness more like we treated Covid would do far more to limit the spread of things like the Flu.
    It is not an either/or situation, you are supposed to do both.