View Poll Results: Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will.

21 75.00%
  • No, I will not.

4 14.29%
  • I am undecided...

3 10.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

I've heard arguments on both sides as to why one would or would not get the vaccine and it made me curious...

Once the coronavirus vaccine becomes widely available, are you going to get it?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    Waiting for more William Stout characters!!!

I voted yes although I'm not going to be in a hurry to get it. I do think it would be a good idea to get it at some point, regardless to my overall health.

I never get the flu shot because I'm not as worried about getting it. Covid-19 is something I've not experienced and if I can get by without ever experiencing it or, more importantly, never bringing it home to my family, I'd rather have the shot.

I know a handful of people now that have gotten it and it wasn't a big deal at all. Sore arm and that's about it.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Whenever it comes available here I will get it. I have some of those underlying conditions that make COVID worse if you contract it, so I'd rather skip that as it doesn't sound particularly pleasant.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Master of New Adventures!
    Absolutely. I'm at risk for complications because of my age and underlying health issues. My docs advise against my going out with Kim to bars or restaurants until two weeks after my second vaccination so we're basically on house arrest, shelting--in-place, having groceries and meals shipped in to us. Wirth my house, shelting-in-place isn't too tragic, but we surely miss going out on the weekends.

I'm due for my first vaccination on February 13.

Other than having already known allergies, why would anyone not get the shot? The chance of getting sick from the side effect of the vaccine is much, much less than the chance of getting very sick from COVID or passing COVID to someone else.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Other than having already known allergies, why would anyone not get the shot? The chance of getting sick from the side effect of the vaccine is much, much less than the chance of getting very sick from COVID or passing COVID to someone else.
    Pasting my response from the Other thread...

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...VID-19)/page47

You cannot sue the vaccine makers in this case. It dates back to a 1986 Supreme Court decision as vaccines are "unavoidably unsafe". https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-152.pdf Vaccine makers cannot make vaccines without some potential debilitating or deadly side effects. It's just the nature of the beast. I think this is why all vaccines should be voluntary because the individual is taking the risk.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme...alth-problems/

I mentioned earlier in this thread many months ago (pages 32-33), approved vaccines typically take 10-20 years to release to market due to safety and efficacy testing. Safety being the main key in my opinion: https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/safety Cutting red tape and pushing through a vaccine at "warp speed" sounds like a nice effort but you're essentially a guinea pig if you take it at this point.

It's all about risk, and the current best estimate IFR (infection fatality rates) for COVID-19 are not impressive: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html

Scenario 5: Current Best Estimate
    0-19 years: 0.00003
    20-49 years: 0.0002
    50-69 years: 0.005
    70+ years: 0.054

Pfizer has paid over 4 billion dollars in violations since 2000. They're not trustworthy. https://violationtracker.goodjobsfir...1YUQ2mh9hxVWS8

Moderna had never brought a product to market before: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/us/co...inical%20trial.

I wouldn't feel too comfortable taking either of them, especially at "warp speed" with no legal recourse if you are injured. Also, they are based on mRNA vaccine technology which is new. Please keep in mind, trials are still ongoing. The Pfizer one has a completion date of January 27, 2023: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

What could possibly go wrong?

I have never received the flu shot, I'm 41 and relatively in good health aside from arthritis from sports injuries etc. still work out 4-5 a week, very active sports-wise. I am in the next phase of shots to the public due to being in manufacturing (We manufacture shower components, glass doors, building doors, etc.) I will get it for the strict reason of my wife's parents are in their early 60s and they are in constant contact with our almost 4 year old, those with kids know how precious those few hours a week are alone with your spouse. My father passed away 3 years ago and my mother and I are not on speaking terms (she also lives 1000 miles away now). So for the piece of mind to not spread it to my in-laws/child I am getting it.
    Instagram: dadhausen

I just got my second COVID vaccine shot. It's safe and effective and a huge step toward ending the pandemic. The sooner more people are vaccinated, the sooner life starts to get back to normal.

Not to mention that seniors with underlying health issues have a six times higher risk of hospitalization and a twelve times higher risk of death if they are hospitalized from having contracted COVID-19 as opposed to those have no underlying conditions and are younger than 65 when contracting it.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

Voted yes.

Flu vaccination is different, half of the times (or more) that I have gotten it as an adult I got another strain of the flu that year. So I don't normally get the shot, as I have had the flu 3 maybe 4 times in my adult life (42).

While not high risk on covid, the fact that people who weren't high risk have passed away from complications means I plan on getting it, I would rather not risk it.

I haven't had any adverse reactions to vaccines or anything etc so.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Eventually, yes. Although in the UK, by the looks of it, I won't be eligible till at least the end of this year, and maybe even beyond.

I voted yes.

Mod Note: So far, so good, but let's be sure to keep any Tar Swamp type talk where it belongs. Carry on!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I'll take anything so I don't have to see the inside of a hospital again!

I'll take the vaccine if everyone already get the shot, or if I managed to beat the virus on first hand.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Probably eventually. I want to see how more people I know end up reacting to it first.

This was briefly a topic of discussion in the locker room at the shows I wrestled on this past weekend. Since we all want things to go "back to normal" as soon as possible. But a few people I know (and/or their family members) had bad reactions to it, so there's a lot of "wait and see" going around. My one friend's Dad had not been sick, for example, but he almost ended up in the hospital after getting the vaccine due to a rather bad reaction, so now his son/my friend is incredibly wary of getting it.

It's probably pretty safe for most people - it sounded like most people who spoke of having a bad reaction were a bit older, but again this is all purely anecdotal anyway - but I think more people will feel better about it with more time having passed.

Like most people, I do foresee having to go back to work eventually, and I can imagine that a lot of jobs will try and make it "mandatory" for hiring purposes, whether that's technically allowed or not. Like on just the wrestling side, there are a few independent promotions around here whose owners have stated that they won't work anyone who hasn't recently tested Negative as well as been vaccinated. I'm not sure the legality of that, but that's how they're doing business and I can see that happening more and more.

So I imagine most people who want to work will have to get it eventually, regardless. I'm not super worried about it just yet, I figure there are people far more at risk who need it more than I do, so I'm happy to let them go first. In a couple of months it will be more available and we'll know more about any reactions and side effects. For now, other people need and want it more. I can wait a bit.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Voted yes, I plan to do so as soon as available for similar reasons others have listed. I don't see another valid path to turning the curve on the horrible impacts of this pandemic without it.

I am getting my first shot on March 29th. Wife got me an appointment 2 weeks ago and that was the earliest date I could get. I donít typically get the flu shot, only during my wifeís 3 pregnancies.

This is different, I do not want to bring this home and expose my kids. Also want to do my part so we can get back to normal.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Pasting my response from the Other thread...

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...VID-19)/page47
    This x 1,000.

I've had COVID- twice. I know the effect it has on my body. Nobody can tell me what effect a COVID vaccine will have on my body tomorrow or ten, twenty years from now, or that it will protect me from mutant strains in the future. If things go horribly wrong after taking a vaccine, who can I sue or hold accountable? Nobody.

Pfizer is one of the most inarguably, demonstrably evil corporations in the world. I wouldn't trust them to not steal a child's lollipop, much less entrust my life to them, especially if the only repercussion they face by selling a deadly vaccine is a scolding from a congressman. (As All American pointed out, all vaccines are inherently dangerous and risky; the difference with this one is that we don't have decades of clinical data showing the benefit outweighs the risk, just a used car salesman's crooked grin and a 'you can trust me, pardner' assurance.)

Now, if you've weighed the benefits and accept the risk, there should be no hindrance to you (logistically or financially) receiving the vaccine should you choose, in my opinion.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    This x 1,000.

I've had COVID- twice. I know the effect it has on my body. Nobody can tell me what effect a COVID vaccine will have on my body tomorrow or ten, twenty years from now, or that it will protect me from mutant strains in the future. If things go horribly wrong after taking a vaccine, who can I sue or hold accountable? Nobody.

Pfizer is one of the most inarguably, demonstrably evil corporations in the world. I wouldn't trust them to not steal a child's lollipop, much less entrust my life to them, especially if the only repercussion they face by selling a deadly vaccine is a scolding from a congressman. (As All American pointed out, all vaccines are inherently dangerous and risky; the difference with this one is that we don't have decades of clinical data showing the benefit outweighs the risk, just a used car salesman's crooked grin and a 'you can trust me, pardner' assurance.)

Now, if you've weighed the benefits and accept the risk, there should be no hindrance to you (logistically or financially) receiving the vaccine should you choose, in my opinion.
    I see where you're coming from and this raises an interesting question in my mind. Do you foresee a future where someone could be sued by another party for spreading the virus after not having received the vaccination?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I see where you're coming from and this raises an interesting question in my mind. Do you foresee a future where someone could be sued by another party for spreading the virus after not having received the vaccination?
    Without delving deeply into politics or Tar Swamp land, I can certainly see that possibility in a handful of states (NY, California.) I say that based on historical jurisprudence in those states in which people with HIV have been sued for infecting someone else. I don't really see it being entertained in courts of other states. Those are coincidentally the two states which I can envision the legislature attempting to force mandatory vaccination among the population, for the same underlying reasons.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Without delving deeply into politics or Tar Swamp land, I can certainly see that possibility in a handful of states (NY, California.) I say that based on historical jurisprudence in those states in which people with HIV have been sued for infecting someone else. I don't really see it being entertained in courts of other states. Those are coincidentally the two states which I can envision the legislature attempting to force mandatory vaccination among the population, for the same underlying reasons.
    Yeah I'm on the same way of thinking. I'm wondering, because of how easily it spreads, if there will be a bigger push to isolate people who haven't been vaccinated (although I guess no one can legally ask you up front or require "proof"). But since the vaccines aren't 100% effective it makes me think other places may ask you to sign documentation in order to enter.

Even right now at my work, we have a form we must sign daily saying we don't currently have any symptoms when entering the building. I'm wondering if something like this will be implemented towards the vaccinations.

I am no legal expert, but to prove microscopic aerosol infection of a specific individual to another in a court where there can be no reasonable doubt to convict seems impossible. Without getting into specifics, STDs have easier links to discovery.

Also, it's currently unknown if these vaccines prevent transmission: https://www.businessinsider.com/who-...s-2020-12?op=1 My understanding is that they supposedly lessen symptoms but not necessarily prevent transmission. This is another reason why typical vaccines take many years (10-20) to be approved because they need to be properly researched through unbiased careful peer reviews by scientists.

Nine days and counting for me. Very happy with that. Indiana just lowered the threshold to residents move the age of 65.

For the record, Israel is in the global forefront, offering vaccinations to those sixteen and above!

- - - Updated - - -

Vaccines may not be 100% effective, but I'll take 95%. Perhaps it's different for me because I have medical issues that absolutely put me at a six times higher rate of hospitalization if I contract COVID-19 as opposed to people without medical issues and a twelve times higher rate of death if I am hospitalized as a result of having contracted COVID-19 as opposed to people without medical issues.

Yeah I'm on the same way of thinking. I'm wondering, because of how easily it spreads, if there will be a bigger push to isolate people who haven't been vaccinated (although I guess no one can legally ask you up front or require "proof"). But since the vaccines aren't 100% effective it makes me think other places may ask you to sign documentation in order to enter.

Even right now at my work, we have a form we must sign daily saying we don't currently have any symptoms when entering the building. I'm wondering if something like this will be implemented towards the vaccinations.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I am no legal expert, but to prove microscopic aerosol infection of a specific individual to another in a court where there can be no reasonable doubt to convict seems impossible. Without getting into specifics, STDs have easier links to discovery.

Also, it's currently unknown if these vaccines prevent transmission: https://www.businessinsider.com/who-...s-2020-12?op=1 My understanding is that they supposedly lessen symptoms but not necessarily prevent transmission. This is another reason why typical vaccines take many years (10-20) to be approved because they need to be properly researched through unbiased careful peer reviews by scientists.
    On vaccine safety: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55946912

On vaccine likely cutting spread: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

I don't want to boast as an Englishman, but I think the world needs the Oxford vaccine pronto. All evidence, so far, points to it being safe and highly effective in, crucially, more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    On vaccine safety: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55946912

On vaccine likely cutting spread: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

I don't want to boast as an Englishman, but I think the world needs the Oxford vaccine pronto. All evidence, so far, points to it being safe and highly effective in, crucially, more ways than one.
    The articles you provided don't explain any long term unbiased studies that have gone into COVID-19. It would be impossible for this to occur since the virus is only a little over a year old. There's no way of knowing its long term safety and efficacy, as well as how it exactly prevents transmission in public. In the short term, it may not harm many individuals who initially get the shot/s, but who knows. If you're comfortable taking rushed experimental vaccines, that's your choice.

Are you able to sue in case of vaccine injury in the U.K.? We cannot in the United States according to a 1986 Supreme Court hearing.

It appears there is a marriage between Oxford and AstraZeneca, of course they're not going to work on a vaccine paid for by the U.K. government and then have one of the parties come out that it's suddenly unsafe. There is way too much money involved in my opinion. But even if all parties have great intentions, anything rushed is exactly that. One has to weigh the virus danger, and I haven't seen any high infection fatality rates, all of them have some zeroes. COVID-19 is primarily an elderly and frail fatal enemy.

Here's some information on AstraZeneca: https://www.corp-research.org/astrazeneca

AstraZeneca has paid over 1 billion in violations since the year 2000: https://violationtracker.goodjobsfir...nt=astrazeneca