View Poll Results: Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will.

27 71.05%
  • No, I will not.

8 21.05%
  • I am undecided...

3 7.89%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will you get the COVID-19 vaccine?

I already got it.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I've never taken a flu shot before, but I received both shots for COVID. Better safe than sorry.
    Check out my Etsy page for items ready to ship.
    Contact BadVermin for all your custom projects and repaints.

Just got my first shot today. 3 weeks for the second one
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Master of New Adventures!
    Got both Pfizer shots, the last one three weeks ago, so I'm good to go. Finally something good about being a senior citizen, although Indiana just lowered the vaccination age to 40. Indiana's mask mandate is switch to becoming "advisory" on April 5th. I think Indiana did an admirable job of navigating the pandemic -- the truly tragic loss of life certainly not withstanding -- with the majority of businesses remaining open with understandable restrictions. We went from an unemployment high of 16.9% in April 2020 to 6.2% in March 2021. Not where we want to be, but certainly far better than where we once were at.

All I want to do it sit maskless in a pub, have a couple of Guinnesses and watch a baseball game, cheering with fellow maskless patrons.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    I've never taken a flu shot before, but I received both shots for COVID. Better safe than sorry.
    This is part of the reason the flu is a seaonal recurrence. We emphasize vaccination for vulnerable populations, when 85% of people need to be vaccinated in order to control it. Hopefully, COVID-19 will change our habits around things like the flu. I get my second dose in a week.

And also very responsible to others. Bravo, BV!

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    This is part of the reason the flu is a seaonal recurrence. We emphasize vaccination for vulnerable populations, when 85% of people need to be vaccinated in order to control it. Hopefully, COVID-19 will change our habits around things like the flu. I get my second dose in a week.
    But with the Flu there are also multiple strains for which the vaccine gives no protection. And it's also proven that you can still get the strains it protects against, even if you have been vaccinated. So I don't believe everyone getting the flu shot would stop it's recurrence.

What I do hope occurs is that Covid-19 changes our views on how we treat things like a person with what they think is a common cold or other low grade illness symptom. I know things like the flu and other illnesses (including Covid) spread because people "need to be at work", or "aren't really that sick". I believe most illnesses spread due to people being sick and going about their normal lives, spreading their germs. Sometimes it's unknowingly, and sometimes they know but have no regard for others.

I've had the flu twice. In both cases it was due to coming in direct contact with a person that was sick but came to public places anyway (work and a funeral).
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    But with the Flu there are also multiple strains for which the vaccine gives no protection. And it's also proven that you can still get the strains it protects against, even if you have been vaccinated. So I don't believe everyone getting the flu shot would stop it's recurrence.

What I do hope occurs is that Covid-19 changes our views on how we treat things like a person with what they think is a common cold or other low grade illness symptom. I know things like the flu and other illnesses (including Covid) spread because people "need to be at work", or "aren't really that sick". I believe most illnesses spread due to people being sick and going about their normal lives, spreading their germs. Sometimes it's unknowingly, and sometimes they know but have no regard for others.

I've had the flu twice. In both cases it was due to coming in direct contact with a person that was sick but came to public places anyway (work and a funeral).
    Seasonal vaccines protect against the four flu viruses that researchers indicate will be the most prevalent, but one can still become infected with one of the other 14. However, since influenza is a family of viruses, seasonal vaccines have a therapeutic effect, reducing the duration and severity of illness. The reason flu is not controlled is not because the vaccines are not effective, it is because the vaccination rate is not high enough. If 85% or more of the population received the flu vaccine, it would significantly limit the available hosts for the viruses, and their ability to replicate. But since we only emphasize flu vaccination for vulnerable populations in this country, flu viruses spread throughout the population, and we have a recurrent flu season year-after-year.

Seasonal vaccines protect against the four flu viruses that researchers indicate will be the most prevalent, but one can still become infected with one of the other 14. However, since influenza is a family of viruses, seasonal vaccines have a therapeutic effect, reducing the duration and severity of illness. The reason flu is not controlled is not because the vaccines are not effective, it is because the vaccination rate is not high enough. If 85% or more of the population received the flu vaccine, it would significantly limit the available hosts for the viruses, and their ability to replicate. But since we only emphasize flu vaccination for vulnerable populations in this country, flu viruses spread throughout the population, and we have a recurrent flu season year-after-year.
    From what I've read there have been studies that support this but it is not really proven. And let's say I've gotten the vaccination but now I've still acquired one of the flu strains the vaccine is supposed to prevent. If I have lesser symptoms am I any less contagious? If someone catches the flu from me will they get a "weakened" flu?

I still say that the vaccine itself is not effective enough to limit the spread of the flu. I think people treating general illness more like we treated Covid would do far more to limit the spread of things like the Flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    From what I've read there have been studies that support this but it is not really proven. And let's say I've gotten the vaccination but now I've still acquired one of the flu strains the vaccine is supposed to prevent. If I have lesser symptoms am I any less contagious? If someone catches the flu from me will they get a "weakened" flu?

I still say that the vaccine itself is not effective enough to limit the spread of the flu. I think people treating general illness more like we treated Covid would do far more to limit the spread of things like the Flu.
    It is not an either/or situation, you are supposed to do both.

Got my second shot yesterday, has been 27 hours and I only had a sore arm
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    After each dose of Pfizer, I had a sore arm for about 24 hours. And four hours after each dose, I started to feel a little tired. Usually, when I feel tired, my eyes water, and I yawn, and I struggle to stay awake. But this tired felt more like my energy level was just lower. I was able to stay awake and do normal activities just fine. It was actually kind of restful.

After each dose of Pfizer, I had a sore arm for about 24 hours. And four hours after each dose, I started to feel a little tired. Usually, when I feel tired, my eyes water, and I yawn, and I struggle to stay awake. But this tired felt more like my energy level was just lower. I was able to stay awake and do normal activities just fine. It was actually kind of restful.
    Yes. After the first shot I was exhausted also. I'm expecting the same after the 2nd ( in two weeks)
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

In the US are they going down the age-groups, or can anyone really have one? In the UK we've only got down to people in their late 40s. I'm thinking it will be my turn either next month or in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Got my second Moderna shot yesterday and All I've had is sore shoulder and a teeny tiny feeling of what I'd describe as sinus pressure. Otherwise I feel fine. Sitting at work now and plan on bowling tonight

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    In the US are they going down the age-groups, or can anyone really have one? In the UK we've only got down to people in their late 40s. I'm thinking it will be my turn either next month or in June.
    Anyone 16 and older can get the shot here in the states. I got my first shot yesterday (am 42) and sore arm and tired (but due to depression and overweight am sometimes tired so not sure if shot is cause.)
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

Kim got her second Pfizer shot today. I've had both of mine. My second day was borderline miserable, but it was a 24-hour deal. Our 22 year old son had his first Pfizer shot and it was a tough 12 hours, but it passed quickly. Our 19 year old Zoe had her first shot with no side effects.

It's funny how you feel a little different three our four weeks after the second vaccination. Not physically. But mentally there's a bit of a lift because you know you've got a considerable amount of protection, perhaps more of a lift in my case because of my existing health issues.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    My wife and I got our second shots a few days ago. I didn't have any reaction both times, my wife felt somewhat ill both times but cleared up each time within a day or so. Mentally it feels so good at this point and I feel very protected and able to go out and do a lot more "normal" things again...but I'm also concerned overall as I keep seeing the COVID numbers starting to go the wrong direction again where I live, feels like a race against time between more vaccinations and another potential surge.

Kim's two days out from her second Pfizer shot with zero side effects. Irish gals are tough. Yay! We're going out on the town tonight!!!

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Kim's two days out from her second Pfizer shot with zero side effects. Irish gals are tough. Yay! We're going out on the town tonight!!!
    That's awesome...have a fantastic evening Jack!!

Thanks for that, Granamyr! The support and compassion I have felt from orgers -- even NA haters -- during what has been a very challenging year and a half, with my serious heart attack and stroke issues, has meant a great deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    That's awesome...have a fantastic evening Jack!!

Heroic Warrior
    The second Moderna shot knocked me on my ass for a few days.

independently bolty Old Bolty-Neck's Avatar
    I started this week off by getting the second Moderna injection. It hasn't caused any side effects for me.
    I'd like to thank Mega Construx for selecting me to be a sponsored builder! More MOTU custom projects on the way!

My Mega Construx gallery

I've had both shots.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!