Thread: WTS 200x loose figures (complete) just purchased- Need advice! Smoke smell

WTS 200x loose figures (complete) just purchased- Need advice! Smoke smell

So, long story short, I bought several MOTU 200x figures off eBay, received them today and they reek of smoke. I don't smoke so I hate the smell and it sucks because now the figures stink. No where in the post did it say anything about smoke. And no way in hell would I buy from a smoker anyway. Need your advice! Do I just escalate to ebay at this point or try and sell here??

List of figures all complete
    Skeletor
    Two Bad
    Whiplash
    Buzz Off
    Ram Man
    Mer-Man
    Tri-Klops
    King Hiss
    Beast Man
    Trap Jaw
    Sy-Klone
    Man at Arms
    Prince Adam
    Mekaneck
    He-man
    Orko
    Zodak

IMG_9572.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9575.jpg

--my response to seller--
    Hi. I just received the MOTU 200x figures and while I do LOVE them (literally love them), I am disappointed to find that they reek of smoke (my initial impression). I was hoping it was just the bubble wrap because I know sometimes bubble wrap can smell weird or even fruity but the figures themselves smell like smoke.

I am not sure if you you picked them up from a previous owner who smoked or if you yourself smoke but it's very strong. It's an unmistakable smell as I do not smoke. I also smell a mild hint of some sort of chemical / cleaning solution and that would be fine if it were just that. But the smoke smell is overpowering. As much as I want these, I can't store these in my house. I do however want to try and air them out but not sure if that will help but willing to give it a try.

If it doesn't work out, I'd would like to send them back for a full refund. Let me know your thoughts.

--seller response--
    Dude any smell on the figures isn't permanent in any way. I smoke weed inside yes I smoke while shipping many times. Its not a permanent smell. If you spray them with something they won't smell its really that simple.

--conclusion--

eBay is great when it's great but this is what I hate about it...
    Last edited by BushLady; January 21, 2021 at 11:49pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    The guy should state that in his auction, comes from a smoking house.
    He-Bro is right. He should have stated in his auction. What if someone is sensitive, allergic, asthmatic...

The figures look to be in good shape otherwise though. If I had paid a premium for those, I would try and get my money back. At least, see if you can get some money back for the time and effort to get the stink out.

Getting the smell out may take a few weeks or longer. If you want to keep them, I’d wash with warm water, dawn soap (I like Platinum dawn), and white vinegar and let soak for a while then give them a good gentle scrub with dawn soap again. Let them dry thoroughly. If they still smell, place them in a sealed container or ziploc bag with an open box of baking soda for up to a few weeks. If that still doesn’t work, place them back in the sealed container with a couple dryer sheets.
    Last edited by racer x; January 22, 2021 at 11:23am.

Quote Originally Posted by racer x View Post
    The figures look to be in good shape otherwise though.
    Yes, I was excited to get them as the figures are in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by racer x View Post
    Getting the smell out may take a few weeks or longer. If you want to keep them, I’d wash with warm water, dawn soap (I like Platinum dawn), and white vinegar and let soak for a while then give them a good gentle scrub with dawn soap again. Let them dry thoroughly. If they still smell, place them in a sealed container or ziploc bag with an open box of baking soda for up to a few weeks. If that still doesn’t work, place them back in the sealed container with a couple dryer sheets.
    I read many similar treatments and tricks about getting rid of smoke from figures. Definitely going to give it a try. Seems promising on several boards and from YouTube video's I've seen. Last night, I put them outside to air out and then in my garage when I went to sleep. This morning when I retrieved them and I am not sure if it's in my head or not but they "seem" to smell better.

Hope to have some good news and I will post back in about a week.

Thanks all!

- - - Updated - - -

Update:
    Surprisingly, and to my satisfaction after one day of letting the figures air out, the smell has completely dissipated or at least to the extent that I can't tell anymore. Every time I pick them up to do a smell test I anticipate a smoke smell but get nothing! I don't know how but I am not complaining.

I have a lingering feeling (must be my mind playing tricks) that in a day or two somehow the smoke smell will be back. Haha! Will we see. For now, I will be holding on to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BushLady View Post
    Surprisingly, and to my satisfaction after one day of letting the figures air out, the smell has completely dissipated or at least to the extent that I can't tell anymore. Every time I pick them up to do a smell test I anticipate a smoke smell but get nothing! I don't know how but I am not complaining.

I have a lingering feeling (must be my mind playing tricks) that in a day or two somehow the smoke smell will be back. Haha! Will we see. For now, I will be holding on to them.
    Glad to hear it!

Even when I was a smoker many years ago, I didn't risk ruining my various collections (comics, books, toys, videogames, etc) with smoke, so I did my filthy business either outside or hanging out of a window or sitting under an exhaust vent. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't take those same precautions, so we end up having to de-reek our figures.

A small consolation is that the seller stated they're a marijuana smoker. Marijuana smoke damage is usually more pungent, but easier to get out. It lacks the nicotine present in tobacco smoke, which often acts as a bonding agent to solid surfaces. A simple airing out is usually sufficient in removing weed smoke from plastic.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

What a callous response from the seller. You should definitely leave neutral or negative feedback for him and make sure to mention that they smelled like smoke and seller didn't think it was a big deal. If he's not going to change his ways and doesn't see it as a big deal for them to stink, then potential buyers should be able to find that out looking at his feedback profile.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor