Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Official Godzilla vs Kong movie thread 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    That's what makes it stick out like a sore thumb in the Monsterverse; it's one thing to suspend belief and say " ok, maybe giant monsters still exist, somewhere." But then to add in "oh, btw, you know how the earth has a giant molten core? It actually doesn't. It's hollow."
    Hollow earth doesn't necessarily mean no core... it could refer to substantial subterranean space beneath the crust.

Look at the Yucatan Peninsula and all of the massive caves that litter the surface. When explored, many of these caves lead to huge underground openings... some large enough to fly a 747 through.

With more than eighty percent of our oceans unmapped, unobserved, and unexplored, I think that large, hollow spaces within the surface of the earth is prime material for science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    I really need that singular point monsterarts Godzilla.
    Yes, I have mine pre-ordered already!

I also got my Godzilla vs Kong 'Zilla figure from BBTS last week... It's actually an all new sculpt, based off of the GvK designs! And the paint apps are incredible!

Now, I just have to patiently wait for Kong to show up...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Yes, I have mine pre-ordered already!

I also got my Godzilla vs Kong 'Zilla figure from BBTS last week... It's actually an all new sculpt, based off of the GvK designs! And the paint apps are incredible!

Now, I just have to patiently wait for Kong to show up...
    yeah I have my GvK figs on preorder from Amazon. I will get my SP godzilla from my local shop, where I got my Gigan and MechaG from as well.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I'm pretty sure the term is science fantasy.
    Science Fantasy is a distinct genre that includes Lord of the Rings, Dune, etc, even Masters of the Universe. There's also Low Fantasy and High Fantasy. The "giant monster crushing a city on Earth" genre is a branch of science fiction, like BEM and LGM (that's Bug Eyed Monster and Little Green Men, for the uninitiated.) They are not fantasy films, nor do they contain the tropes usually associated with fantasy aside from the monsters themselves.

Science Absurdum is when you write a science fiction story that takes place ostensibly in the reader's world but then veers into an absurd impossibility, without bothering to check any of the boxes that would place it even in the lowest of the Low Fantasy. We know that the earth is neither flat, nor hollow, so to write a story that takes place in this world that you and I live in, but requires one of those two impossibilities to make the story work, is a fatal flaw and a demonstration of poor writing.

This Absurdum concept isn't new. AE Vogt, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, etc have all decried it in print as far back as 1920. It was something of a fanzine/prozine meme a century ago in the pages of Amazing Stories, and "hack" writers like Lovecraft and L. Ron Hubbard were regularly raked over the coals for drifting into it. Who knows? Maybe people 100 years from now will consider the writers of Godzilla vs Kong literary geniuses like HP Lovecraft is considered now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Hollow earth doesn't necessarily mean no core... it could refer to substantial subterranean space beneath the crust.

Look at the Yucatan Peninsula and all of the massive caves that litter the surface. When explored, many of these caves lead to huge underground openings... some large enough to fly a 747 through.

With more than eighty percent of our oceans unmapped, unobserved, and unexplored, I think that large, hollow spaces within the surface of the earth is prime material for science fiction.
    The impression that the movie gives is not that hollow pockets inside the earth house the kaiju in stasis, but that the earth itself is hollow at its center, and the kaiju have dwelled in this hollow earth with its own ecosystem and biodiversity that somehow produces sustenance for the kaiju to thrive indefinitely for millennia.

If it was the former, then it would strain credibility, but the average "take my money and show me monsters" viewer could say "hruck, of course they's little holler caves in the earth. Heck, muh backyard has holler spots in it too!" But the movie, as it was received by most critics (myself included), doesn't depict the former scenario. It depicts the latter.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Science Fantasy is a distinct genre that includes Lord of the Rings, Dune, etc, even Masters of the Universe. There's also Low Fantasy and High Fantasy. The "giant monster crushing a city on Earth" genre is a branch of science fiction, like BEM and LGM (that's Bug Eyed Monster and Little Green Men, for the uninitiated.) They are not fantasy films, nor do they contain the tropes usually associated with fantasy aside from the monsters themselves.

Science Absurdum is when you write a science fiction story that takes place ostensibly in the reader's world but then veers into an absurd impossibility, without bothering to check any of the boxes that would place it even in the lowest of the Low Fantasy. We know that the earth is neither flat, nor hollow, so to write a story that takes place in this world that you and I live in, but requires one of those two impossibilities to make the story work, is a fatal flaw and a demonstration of poor writing.

r.
    Actually I disagree their, Let's look at the mecha genre for example I would certainly say that the bulk of the super robot sub genre falls into science fantasy, while the bulk of the real robot sub genre is science fiction.

Heroic Warrior
    My 12y/o son just brought me the dvd for Fatherís Day (Iím in the UK so itís today) I think it was because he wants to watch it. Which I have no doubt he will absolutely love

This Absurdum concept isn't new. AE Vogt, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, etc have all decried it in print as far back as 1920. It was something of a fanzine/prozine meme a century ago in the pages of Amazing Stories, and "hack" writers like Lovecraft and L. Ron Hubbard were regularly raked over the coals for drifting into it. Who knows? Maybe people 100 years from now will consider the writers of Godzilla vs Kong literary geniuses like HP Lovecraft is considered now.

- - - Updated - - -

The impression that the movie gives is not that hollow pockets inside the earth house the kaiju in stasis, but that the earth itself is hollow at its center, and the kaiju have dwelled in this hollow earth with its own ecosystem and biodiversity that somehow produces sustenance for the kaiju to thrive indefinitely for millennia.

If it was the former, then it would strain credibility, but the average "take my money and show me monsters" viewer could say "hruck, of course they's little holler caves in the earth. Heck, muh backyard has holler spots in it too!" But the movie, as it was received by most critics (myself included), doesn't depict the former scenario. It depicts the latter.
    as an example:
    I would say Star Trek is Science Fiction and Star Wars is Science Fantasy.

One leans more into science (how warp engines work) etc and the other magic (the force)
    cogito ergo doleo

I got a kick out of these!

Epic!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Hadn't seen these.

i got a kick out of these to.

That picture is epic. Nicely done.

Given hos Godzilla Singular Point is an anime and has a mech feature prominently throughout it's entire plot, does anyone else think it might get featured in Super Robot Wars, somewhere down the line?