Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Official Godzilla vs Kong movie thread 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    My wife and I saw it last night and we thought it was a great addition to the MonsterVerse. And depending on whether or not we get anymore films in the franchise, it could be a decent conclusion to it. I personally hope we get more of them.
    For now, I think it's the end because the contract with Toho is up. However, given the success of this film, it would be hard to walk away from more money by avoiding a renewal.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I think it's safe to say they'll work something out.

I'd like there to be more, if for no other reason than to wash the taste of this one out and redeem themselves a little bit. I cannot stress enough that I liked ALL of the three previous movies more than most people did, and I was very, VERY disappointed by this one. I was shocked at how bad the plot, acting, and dialog was, and no, I don't allow "These movies are Dumb On Purpose" or any variant thereof as an excuse. The last three weren't "dumb" at all and were in fact rather good; they just went for the Fast Buck on this one and it shows.

I did very much like the fight scenes, but that's like a quarter of the movie. The other hour and change was, no joke, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Like "Transformers 4"-level Bad. Of course, that movie decided it needed to be as long as "Return of the King" AND it didn't have the redeeming factor of Kong punching Godzilla in the face, so this movie "wins" by default: It wasn't AS bad for AS long, and at least the Kong vs. Godzilla fights delivered in a decent way. But I definitely hated every second that wasn't one CGI monster punching another, and I didn't feel that way at all with the earlier films in this series.

So I do sincerely hope there's more, because I would not want the series to end on what was, for me, a severe step backwards from the previous efforts. They can do much better, we've already seen that.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    While not strictly related to this film a new teaser for Godzilla Singular point has been released. Looks like a very unique take on things. I do like the fact that seems to be going for a more fun tone balanced with the threat of the monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGjU5UOfVxU
    I watched the first two episodes of Singular Point and, while not at all what I was expecting, enjoyed them...

I think that there is going to be a slow build-up with a small trickle of kaiju, throughout season one, until a more recognizable show takes hold.

Animation is nice and clean - utilizing the, now common, CGI mixed with hand drawn art. And, as previously mentioned, the kaiju have gone through some serious re-design... something that becomes uber apparent in episode two.

It's off to a slow start, but fun none the less.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post

I'd like there to be more, if for no other reason than to wash the taste of this one out and redeem themselves a little bit. I cannot stress enough that I liked ALL of the three previous movies more than most people did, and I was very, VERY disappointed by this one. I was shocked at how bad the plot, acting, and dialog was, and no, I don't allow "These movies are Dumb On Purpose" or any variant thereof as an excuse. The last three weren't "dumb" at all and were in fact rather good; they just went for the Fast Buck on this one and it shows.

I did very much like the fight scenes, but that's like a quarter of the movie. The other hour and change was, no joke, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Like "Transformers 4"-level Bad. Of course, that movie decided it needed to be as long as "Return of the King" AND it didn't have the redeeming factor of Kong punching Godzilla in the face, so this movie "wins" by default: It wasn't AS bad for AS long, and at least the Kong vs. Godzilla fights delivered in a decent way. But I definitely hated every second that wasn't one CGI monster punching another, and I didn't feel that way at all with the earlier films in this series.

So I do sincerely hope there's more, because I would not want the series to end on what was, for me, a severe step backwards from the previous efforts. They can do much better, we've already seen that.
    I'll be honest, I felt completely opposite. I thought the earlier ones were 'okay' at best. this one was everything I wanted it to be. The human plot in ANY of these movies have sucked. They've sucked as far back as there has been a Godzilla. And the idea of goofy and dumb and bad dialog... that's also been there from the beginning. Sometimes it's forgettable as soon as the movie is over, sometimes it's part of it's charm. Heck i think half the original ones involved aliens

My only real complaint about the franchise is the idea that Godzilla is some 'savior'. Really, he's an instinctual monster who wants to kick the teeth out of any threat to his alpha status. He's still stepping on just as many humans as the other monsters. He's still lighting the world up with his atomic death rays... .He has no real concern for humans... just doesn't see them as threats enough to actively destroy.

Unless they DO develop a super weapon.... and then he'll put them back in their place too.

He's king of the jungle, not a superhero. The people seemed REALLY dumb to keep forgetting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I watched the first two episodes of Singular Point and, while not at all what I was expecting, enjoyed them...

I think that there is going to be a slow build-up with a small trickle of kaiju, throughout season one, until a more recognizable show takes hold.

Animation is nice and clean - utilizing the, now common, CGI mixed with hand drawn art. And, as previously mentioned, the kaiju have gone through some serious re-design... something that becomes uber apparent in episode two.

It's off to a slow start, but fun none the less.
    Wait it's out already? I can't see it on Netflix anywere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post

I have to largely agree with you. This wasn't of the same degree of quality as the others in this series. None have been without their flaws, but this one felt like less effort was placed on anything but cool monster slugfests.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Yeah. I VERY strongly disagree that these types of movies are all or are supposed to be "dumb on purpose". The original Japanese "Gojira" wasn't dumb. "Shin Godzilla" wasn't dumb. "Pacific Rim" wasn't dumb. Those were all "real movies" that just so happened to feature giant monsters. Any type of movie can be as "dumb" or as "serious" as a person wants it to be, but I reject the idea that purposely being dreck is in any way what these movies are "supposed to be". They DON'T "have to" be that way, and stating that they all are that way quite simply is a lie. Some people say the same thing about super-hero movies; "These people wear capes; of COURSE it should be silly!" And I don't agree about that genre, either.

I understand that some things are designed to be more "escapism" than anything, and that's fine. I thought "King of the Monsters" and "Skull Island" both had a VERY good balance of taking the material seriously while also being "thrill ride" types of movies. But neither one of them had a script that played like it was written in crayon and turned in the day before they started shooting, and this movie did. And I simply can't abide that. Not when other movies in the same series managed to have good monster action AND good characters and dialog.

I think it's overly-simplistic to say "only the monster fight scenes matter anyway, we don't even need characters and plot so if they're terrible Oh Well"; by rights, if that's ALL it took to entertain people, a ScrewAttack Death Battle video would have sufficed. A "real movie" shouldn't be excruciating for 2/3s of its running time, simply because "That 20+ minutes of CGI razzle-dazzle are the only thing that matters, anyway." It doesn't take any extra money or effort to actually try, and I'm disappointed that they didn't. Anyone who says KOTM's script was THIS poorly-written would do well to watch them both again.

People seem entranced by this movie Right Now, but I strongly feel like in 5 years it's going to be mostly an afterthought. The (admittedly very good) monster fight scenes will be relived and revisited forever in various YouTube clips, and that's fine because those scenes admittedly do hit the mark, but I really don't see too many people sitting through the WHOLE movie A-to-Z over and over again just to get to those scenes. There's just nothing to see outside of the fight scenes; everything else is like getting a root canal.

I mean, let's be honest; given how most people agree that the Transformers movies are terrible, but admittedly have a few cool fight scenes, when a person needs their "fix" of Optimus Prime vs. Megatron action do they actually sit through the entire agonizing movie(s) or do they just watch the fight scenes on YouTube? That's what I think this movie's future is, and that's a shame.

I am looking forward to the Blu-ray, though, because many people suspect that at least a half hour was cut for runtime, and I'd very much like to see some of that. I have a feeling that if nothing else the plot would be much more coherent with those scenes added back in. I think an "extended cut" is too much to hope for but at the very least I'd like to see the deleted scenes to get an idea of what kind of movie they originally shot before they chopped it down.

As far as "escapist entertainment" goes, they could have taken some notes from "Godzilla: Final Wars". That movie is unapologetically nothing but fan-service but also doesn't make you feel like your brain is leaking out while you watch it.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; April 8, 2021 at 05:30pm.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Wait it's out already? I can't see it on Netflix anywere.
    It's not out on US Netflix but there are other ways to watch it.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    It's not out on US Netflix but there are other ways to watch it.
    ^^^This.

My anime-loving friend and I got to see the first two so far, but I'm not sure of the release schedule for the U.S. yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    ^^^This.

My anime-loving friend and I got to see the first two so far, but I'm not sure of the release schedule for the U.S. yet...
    So it's the Little Witch Academia situation all over again?

Not very impressive...aside from the fight scenes between Godzilla and Kong.

I just finished watching it. I really enjoyed it. The SFX were superb.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I just finished watching it. I really enjoyed it. The SFX were superb.
    I watched it again the other night, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first viewing.

While I understand some of the criticism that this is getting, I think it is just as fun and entertaining as the past three films.

I especially love the first Kong / 'Zilla encounter on the ships.

Heroic Warrior
    been avoiding this thread but now...........

saw it in the the theatre April 9th (friday). Because a wild idea popped into my head. I was wrong.

DOUGIE DOWNER ALERT!!!!!!!!

(you've been warned)

2.5 out of 5 stars

If this was streaming for $30 American bucks ask for your money back. Don't watch it int

The only thing that surprised me was that the girl is deaf.

not sure where the monsterverse goes from here. Though it was a good fit for their match up but it should have been about Mecha Gidorah. Now it's at a dead stop.

story and plot moves to fast. dialogue was robotic.

the conspiracy crew bothered me.

not a fan of the Hollow Earth notion lore.

i could tell just from the trailer that Kong was to smart. Hyper smart. It was over done. Kong is like B.A. Baracus when it comes to flying.

I didn't watch the other monsterverse movies so I don't know if that hurt or helped. I think all the youtube videos I saw about it may have spoiled it for me. I think all the articles and interviews out that that I saw or heard about may have ruined it for me.

this movie was jarring.

somewhat condensed thoughts. all in my opinion.

p.s. watch it with your workout gear on because the movie hits the ground running. Try to keep out.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    i could tell just from the trailer that Kong was to smart. Hyper smart. It was over done. Kong is like B.A. Baracus when it comes to flying.
    Did they have to put sleeping pills in his milk?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Warrior
    I wouldn't be surprised. (thank you for getting that)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Did they have to put sleeping pills in his milk?
    - - - Updated - - -

I will go out on a non sarcastic limb and say if you can watch this movie then you can watch wrestling. Regardless if it's a big time promotion or a local indy.

Cause you have to suspend your disbeliefs. And their similarites.

Kong must also be a Lethal Weapon fan as well!

On a tangently related not the director of Skull Island, is going to be helming a live action Gundam movie for Netflix.

I have to wonder if it will be an adaption of any of the prior works or if it will be it's own thing?

I haven't cared for any of the Monsterverse movies. This one was no different. It was just boring. The fight scenes were OK, but I guess I'm just tired of the CGI. Fatigue has set in.

The '33 original King Kong is one of my favorite movies. Son of Kong, its sequel, was also good. It's a shame that the almost century-old stop motion effects of Willis O'Brien seem more realistic than the CGI cartoon look of the modern films.

The original Gojira (not the Americanized re-edit Godzilla) was a serious, Kurosawaesque meditation on the Hiroshima bombing disguised as a monster movie. Its sequel, Gojira no Gyakushū (aka Godzilla Raids Again and Gigantis the Fire Monster) was also very well done. The series entered a decline when it went to color, but Godzilla 1985 brought it back into focus. Shin Godzilla was one of the best movies of last decade.

It's unfortunate that people still think of the 1960s/70s series when they picture Godzilla, thus they think of cheesy rubber suited monsters stepping on model tanks. That was such a small part of the overall legacy of Godzilla. The 80s-2000s Godzilla films were a far cry from those films. It's unfair, and it's like picturing the De Laurentis King Kong remake or King Kong Escapes when you think of Kong.

What I'd like to see more of is a Kong or Godzilla movie that is less focused on the human reaction to such monsters and is more or less told from the monster's point of view. If you look at the original King Kong, once the crew actually finds Kong and captures him, the narrative shifts focus and we're basically seeing things from Kong's perspective. The original Gojiro was kind of the same thing, but they kept Godzilla more mysterious. I'm just sick of these 2 hour movies that are composed of 90 minutes of scientists and soldiers running around like idiots and 25 minutes of monsters mashing cities. Give me 90 minutes of monsters being monstrous and 15 minutes of a scientist trying to stop them.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Give me 90 minutes of monsters being monstrous and 15 minutes of a scientist trying to stop them.
    Hollywood will never let that happen. Just like how the Transformers fans keep getting garbage movies like the Bayformers. We want a "TRANSFORMERS" film, not "HUMANS" with a smattering of Transformers sprinkled in here and there.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Hollywood will never let that happen. Just like how the Transformers fans keep getting garbage movies like the Bayformers. We want a "TRANSFORMERS" film, not "HUMANS" with a smattering of Transformers sprinkled in here and there.
    I always assume it's just too costly. Good CGI is expensive is it not?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

I haven't cared for any of the Monsterverse movies. This one was no different. It was just boring. The fight scenes were OK, but I guess I'm just tired of the CGI. Fatigue has set in.

The '33 original King Kong is one of my favorite movies. Son of Kong, its sequel, was also good. It's a shame that the almost century-old stop motion effects of Willis O'Brien seem more realistic than the CGI cartoon look of the modern films.

The original Gojira (not the Americanized re-edit Godzilla) was a serious, Kurosawaesque meditation on the Hiroshima bombing disguised as a monster movie. Its sequel, Gojira no Gyakushū (aka Godzilla Raids Again and Gigantis the Fire Monster) was also very well done. The series entered a decline when it went to color, but Godzilla 1985 brought it back into focus. Shin Godzilla was one of the best movies of last decade.

It's unfortunate that people still think of the 1960s/70s series when they picture Godzilla, thus they think of cheesy rubber suited monsters stepping on model tanks. That was such a small part of the overall legacy of Godzilla. The 80s-2000s Godzilla films were a far cry from those films. It's unfair, and it's like picturing the De Laurentis King Kong remake or King Kong Escapes when you think of Kong.

What I'd like to see more of is a Kong or Godzilla movie that is less focused on the human reaction to such monsters and is more or less told from the monster's point of view. If you look at the original King Kong, once the crew actually finds Kong and captures him, the narrative shifts focus and we're basically seeing things from Kong's perspective. The original Gojiro was kind of the same thing, but they kept Godzilla more mysterious. I'm just sick of these 2 hour movies that are composed of 90 minutes of scientists and soldiers running around like idiots and 25 minutes of monsters mashing cities. Give me 90 minutes of monsters being monstrous and 15 minutes of a scientist trying to stop them.
    Ok the Millenium series (the aforementioned 2000's ones), but with the acceptation of GMK, they were not these dark deep gritty serous films. Final Wars was nonstop spectacle, with a ridiculous plot, Godzilla against Mecha Godzilla and Toky SOS, were basically like a live action version of an over the top mecha anime.

And Godzilla vs Megaguirus gave us this moment.

That rivals the infamous sliding kick from Godzilla vs Megalon, in it's silliness.

Heroic Warrior
    . Shin Godzilla was one of the best movies of last decade.

I'm just sick of these 2 hour movies that are composed of 90 minutes of scientists and soldiers running around like idiots and 25 minutes of monsters mashing cities. Give me 90 minutes of monsters being monstrous and 15 minutes of a scientist trying to stop them.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could have BOTH of these opinions.

Shin Godzilla was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was just... BORING. It was the epitome of '90 minutes of scientists talking' and i don't think it even got a solid 25 minutes of monsters being monsters. They actually had parts in there where Godzilla literally went to sleep or rested while the people were blasting a sitting target and nothing was happening... Worst Godzilla movie I ever saw. Except maybe the anime on Netflix... where Godzilla was the size of a mountain and literally did nothing the whole show and didn't even notice being attacked... Never even bothered with the sequels to that.

Honestly, I don't think we'll ever get the real monster fest... because it would get boring fast. There's only so many times that 'monster breaks building' you can see in a row... before it gets tedious. Epic destruction has diminishing returns the more you see. I noticed that in a few hulk movies... we look forward to the smashing... but by the 3rd or 4th time... it's getting old.

That's one fo the things I though they did really well with this one. It still had the humans moving the plot around... but the monsters were still on the screen most of the time. and there were some good breaks between the epic beatdowns that they were always exciting again. I was never bored during any of the 3 times i've seen it now. Great balance between action and events leading back up to more action

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I honestly don't understand how anyone could have BOTH of these opinions.

Shin Godzilla was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was just... BORING. It was the epitome of '90 minutes of scientists talking' and i don't think it even got a solid 25 minutes of monsters being monsters. They actually had parts in there where Godzilla literally went to sleep or rested while the people were blasting a sitting target and nothing was happening... Worst Godzilla movie I ever saw. Except maybe the anime on Netflix... where Godzilla was the size of a mountain and literally did nothing the whole show and didn't even notice being attacked... Never even bothered with the sequels to that.

)
    Godzilla barely shows up in any Godzilla movie lol.

There is quite a lot of pretty good political and social commentary in Shin Godzilla, particularly in regards to turning Godzilla into a metaphor for the Fukishima Disaster and the governments approach to it and it's bureaucracy.

Plus it's made by the same dude who made Evangelion, you know the giant robot show that's 90% about the characters psychological issues and them making each other miserable, in whats essentially a big metaphor for the creators depression and a mental breakdown he had.

My point is you know what to expect when you go into something made by Hideaki Anno

Godzilla barely shows up in any Godzilla movie lol.

There is quite a lot of pretty good political and social commentary in Shin Godzilla, particularly in regards to turning Godzilla into a metaphor for the Fukishima Disaster and the governments approach to it and it's bureaucracy.

Plus it's made by the same dude who made Evangelion, you know the giant robot show that's 90% about the characters psychological issues and them making each other miserable, in whats essentially a big metaphor for the creators depression and a mental breakdown he had.

My point is you know what to expect when you go into something made by Hideaki Anno

Exactly. If you go into Shin Godzilla expecting, I dunno, the Hollywood version we've been getting since 1998, you'll probably be disappointed. If you go into Shin Godzilla expecting a realistic, quasi-documentary "how would Japan really react to a giant monster disaster" not unlike the original Gojira, you'd probably really enjoy it.

There's a big difference between the artistic drama of Shin Godzilla compared to the 90 minutes of clichéd action tropes in Godzilla vs Kong. It's almost unfortunate that the director chose Godzilla as a vehicle to explore the repercussions of the Fukishima disaster, because anyone expecting a typical "big monster smash crush" movie just wouldn't get it. I can take 90 minutes of reactionary human dialogue in such a film, because it's that type of movie.

Godzilla vs Kong however, only has one statement to make: buy a ticket. American audiences, for whatever reason, require their action movies to be mindless. The pitch meeting, I imagine, went like this:

Suit One:
    "We need a [email protected] tough chick, non-threatening black nerdy guy, handsome European scientist, generic teenage girl, and a mute child for kids to relate to. Oh, and that fat kid from New Zealand as the annoying sidekick. They need to spend 3/4 of the movie running around accomplishing something vague. The kid has to have an emotional connection to Kong. Make sure tough [email protected] chick is the only competent character, because men are useless."

Suit Two:
    "Ok, that takes care of 90 minutes. What about the 30 minutes everyone came to see?"

Suit One:
    "Oh, we'll just do the comic book thing where they fight each other, then team up to fight the real threat."

Suit Two:
    "Perfect. What should we name the characters?"

Suit One:
    "Who cares? They're utterly forgettable. The audience won't care if they all die in the first reel."

Suit Two:
    "Right, but we need a name to put on the action figures."

Suit One:
    "Oh, duh! I don't know. Does anyone remember their names from the last movie? Or who even played them?"

Suit Two:
    "Hmm. I'll get one of the gophers to watch all three movies and put together a cheatsheet of names and professions."

Suit One:
    "Make sure you write their lines in such a way that insults the intelligence of the audience while simultaneously making them wish all the characters died a horrible death, while spelling out exposition that is so blatant even an American that attended public school could follow along."

Suit Two:
    "Check. I think I'll have a bit where the non-threatening black nerd has some item manufactured by one of the product placement sponsors that he talks about not using until the end of the world, but that product ends up saving the day at the end."

Suit One:
    "Oh man! That makes me angry just thinking about it! Make sure it's extra infuriating, like somebody spilling a drink on a keyboard to bypass complex security software protocols! Lol, our audience is comprised of terrible people that deserve this."

Suit Two:
    "I love you, sir."

Suit One:
    "Teamwork makes the dreamwork. Now let's play some golf!"
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.