Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Transformers Ultimates by Super7

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Upon it's release most critics and lots of fans were not at all keen on it. As much as I love the movie it definitely has issues with it's plot.
    And in all honesty, killing off Optimus was pretty pointless. They should have just had the Ultra Magnus toy be a new powered up Form for Optimus like how Megatron became Galvatron.
    If the internet and social media had been a thing back then I have no dount the movie would have had quite a backlash from fans.
    I don't think that Optimus's death was pointless... at the time, it was meant to be permanent. They wanted to reinvigorate the franchise with new characters, new settings and new story lines.

However, I completely agree... if social media was a thing back then, this would have exploded into a polarizing topic just like other franchises have in the past decade or so...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Nowadays, it's this pinnacle, along with G.I. Joe The Movie, of great animation storytelling: a classic.
    It's still the same story, with all the 'plot holes & questionable decisions' it had back in '86.
    Shout Factory's 30th anniversary release is still the same movie, HD'ed.
    Character still die, new characters rise up to the challenge.

I liked the addition of Cobra-La to the Joe lore.
    They need to bring them back.
    It will give the world a reason to unite, and help to taper down the anti-military sentiments prevalent at the moment.
    Like ID4.
    Yes!

Just like Unicron, Cobra-La was the force that caused both badguy and goodguy to unite and defeat.

I love both of these movies... and I still say that G.I.Joe the Movie has one of the best openings - bar none.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I don't think that Optimus's death was pointless... at the time, it was meant to be permanent. They wanted to reinvigorate the franchise with new characters, new settings and new story lines...
    When I say pointless, aside from being brought back in the cartoon, I mean in terms of the toys. The whole killing of so many characters was to introduce the new toys that would be on the shelves. But Ultra Magnus is just a repaint of the Optimus Prime toy with a new trailer that becomes armour.
    Even in Japan the original Diaclone toy was for Powered Convoy, which was just a power armour upgrade of the regular Convoy toy.
    Ultra Magnus was an awesome toy but I think it would have sold a lot better if it was just a new Optimus Prime toy.
    Like I said Magnus was a great toy, a proper leader class toy. Yet in the movie he is only Leader for like 20 minutes before he to is killed off. And then in an even more confusing move Hot Rod becomes the new leader Rodimus Prime and the new leader they are trying to push has arguably one of the absolute worst toys of the '86 range..maybe even the entire G1 line.
    Ironically when they did bring Optimus Prime back he got a new Power Master toy which aside from the Power Master gimmick was a bigger chunky armourded upgrade and an even better toy than Ultra Magnus.

Just get the Kingdom Tracks figure. It is superior in sculpt, detail and articulation, transforms into all three mode and only costs around $20.
    https://tformers.com/transformers-ki...1269/news.html
    Kingdom Tracks wins by default since it actually transforms but the figure itself is garbage compared to Hasbro's other figures in WFC. I got it last week and am not happy. The joints are all very loose. The side of the legs don't tab properly due to the tabs being too short so those parts just flop down when in robot mode. The backpack is HUGE and HOLLOW from the side...not to mention that's it's completely made from clear plastic and when transforming him some of the tabs on it are too large making the windshield hard to tab into the carhood/legs. It's not just my copy as many people have complained about the same things. It's a shame cause Traks has always been one of my favorites since I got the vintage one for my birthday back in the day.

I'm very happy I still have the United Tracks.

Upon it's release most critics and lots of fans were not at all keen on it. As much as I love the movie it definitely has issues with it's plot.
    And in all honesty, killing off Optimus was pretty pointless. They should have just had the Ultra Magnus toy be a new powered up Form for Optimus like how Megatron became Galvatron.
    If the internet and social media had been a thing back then I have no dount the movie would have had quite a backlash from fans.
    I hear this a lot nowadays but I remember seeing this in the theater as a child and absolutely loving it and the kids in the show loved it. Kids were jumping out of their seats during the Battle of Autobot City and when the Dinobots saved Hot Rod and Kup. I remember going to Circus World immediately afterward and buying Hot Rod and Scourge that same day.

Heroic Warrior
    When I say pointless, aside from being brought back in the cartoon, I mean in terms of the toys. The whole killing of so many characters was to introduce the new toys that would be on the shelves. But Ultra Magnus is just a repaint of the Optimus Prime toy with a new trailer that becomes armour.
    Even in Japan the original Diaclone toy was for Powered Convoy, which was just a power armour upgrade of the regular Convoy toy.
    Ultra Magnus was an awesome toy but I think it would have sold a lot better if it was just a new Optimus Prime toy.
    I doubt it. What they needed to do, was introduce the power up armor in the cartoon. Make it more than a cash grab variant. I know a lot of people who got Powermaster Optimus Prime... which was again, just a new crappier Prime with his trailer turning into power armor... and they were forever disappointed that they didn't have the 'real' Optimus toy.

Really, having Ultra Magnus be his own character and headline a lot of season 3 was probably the best they could have hoped for with that toy.

Like I said Magnus was a great toy, a proper leader class toy. Yet in the movie he is only Leader for like 20 minutes before he to is killed off. And then in an even more confusing move Hot Rod becomes the new leader Rodimus Prime and the new leader they are trying to push has arguably one of the absolute worst toys of the '86 range..maybe even the entire G1 line.
    Oh man... yeah... I didn't have Rodimus as a kid, but eventually got to play wiht him at a friends house... what did he have? 3 steps in his transformation. Push arms in, flip chest up, and slide the whole brick under the trailer... GAHHH what a horrible toy for a 'leader' character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    They wanted to reinvigorate the franchise with new characters, new settings and new story lines.
    The main focus was to go into the future to get away from having to use the Diaclone molds that featured licensed vehicles. This way Hasbro/Takara could design futuristic vehicles with no ties to "real" vehicles. Something else a lot of people forget is that another reason they wanted to ditch the Diaclone stuff was due to the amount of diecast parts they used. The diecast was expensive to produce but the real killer was the shipping of the figures. Since the diecast figures were heavier, the cost to ship them from the overseas factory was almost twice as expensive as the post movie figures. Hasbro saved a ton of money when the Diaclone figures were discontinued.

Personally the best thing about the first few years of G1 was the fact that most of the figures were based on actual Earth vehicles. Post movie G1 lacked that essential element of the line which ruined my enjoyment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Kingdom Tracks wins by default since it actually transforms but the figure itself is garbage compared to Hasbro's other figures in WFC. I got it last week and am not happy. The joints are all very loose. The side of the legs don't tab properly due to the tabs being too short so those parts just flop down when in robot mode. The backpack is HUGE and HOLLOW from the side...not to mention that's it's completely made from clear plastic and when transforming him some of the tabs on it are too large making the windshield hard to tab into the carhood/legs. It's not just my copy as many people have complained about the same things. It's a shame cause Traks has always been one of my favorites since I got the vintage one for my birthday back in the day.

I hear this a lot nowadays but I remember seeing this in the theater as a child and absolutely loving it and the kids in the show loved it. Kids were jumping out of their seats during the Battle of Autobot City and when the Dinobots saved Hot Rod and Kup. I remember going to Circus World immediately afterward and buying Hot Rod and Scourge that same day.
    These are the issues I was referring to, I don't own Tracks myself but from what I have seen I'm pretty disappointed.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    I was hoping Grimlock would be done in his robotic/Action Masters form.

This second wave seems all over the place. I'm not a huge Transformers fan so I'm not as jazzed about this one as the first.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

This second wave seems all over the place. I'm not a huge Transformers fan so I'm not as jazzed about this one as the first.

I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Oh man... yeah... I didn't have Rodimus as a kid, but eventually got to play wiht him at a friends house... what did he have? 3 steps in his transformation. Push arms in, flip chest up, and slide the whole brick under the trailer... GAHHH what a horrible toy for a 'leader' character.
    I recall a friend of mine found the trailer for Rodimus at a boot sale and he got it. Eventually he ordered the figure from a shop in England, sight unseen, this was before easy access to the internet and man it was disappointing seeing what the actual toy looked like.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally the best thing about the first few years of G1 was the fact that most of the figures were based on actual Earth vehicles. Post movie G1 lacked that essential element of the line which ruined my enjoyment of it.
    This. ^ When they went too far away from having real alt modes it really spoiled the toyline.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard a lot of criticism of the Kingdom Tracks...but even with the faults overall I still think it looks better than the Ultimates version.
    I hate how hollow a lot of modern Transformers are.
    United Tracks was a great toy.
    The original Tracks was also a great toy.
    True story in the early 90s...maybe 93...I actually had the choice of getting G1 Tracks (UK Classics reissue) or the Starship Eternia which was marked down in price on sale. Ended up getting a different toy as I couldn't pick between them. I wish I had picked Starship Eternia...or Tracks.
    I did get a TRU reissue Tracks around 2006.

- - - Updated - - -

I would't know...I didn't even know the movie existed until I foud the VHS in a store in 2000 when I was 15. As soon as I seen it though I still bought it instantly as Transformers are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Just but the Studio Series Grimlock. It's bigger, more articulated, transforms and it's cheaper.
    Last edited by Mark M; July 31, 2021 at 04:30am.

Heroic Warrior

I'd have preferred Pretender Grimlock because Pretenders and Action Masters get a special pass for me as non-transforming toys.

The Action Master versions because they aren't supposed to transform and Pretenders because they can "infiltrate" your action figure shelf (and there's no good way to do the shell).

I'm probably getting Bludgeon for my G.I.Joe Ultimates shelf and I'd do the same with Pretender Starscream, Bumblebee, Grimlock, and Jazz. Probably consider the same for Spike, Sparkplug, Dr. Arkville, and Only Human Old Snake, Rodimus, Arcee, Springer, and Ultra Magnus. Would also consider 7" scale Future Spike, Marissa, and a Daniel/Wheelie 2 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    I'd have preferred Pretender Grimlock because Pretenders and Action Masters get a special pass for me as non-transforming toys.

The Action Master versions because they aren't supposed to transform and Pretenders because they can "infiltrate" your action figure shelf (and there's no good way to do the shell).

I'm probably getting Bludgeon for my G.I.Joe Ultimates shelf and I'd do the same with Pretender Starscream, Bumblebee, Grimlock, and Jazz. Probably consider the same for Spike, Sparkplug, Dr. Arkville, and Only Human Old Snake, Rodimus, Arcee, Springer, and Ultra Magnus. Would also consider 7" scale Future Spike, Marissa, and a Daniel/Wheelie 2 pack.
    I hope we see a lot of those characters as well, though it'll take a long time.

I was on the fence but pre-ordered wave 2 a few days ago. While I like the transformed Grimlock, for continuity purposes, I'd have preferred we get all robotic versions like in wave 1. Due to the breadth of the franchise, I'm curious how many transformed versions we'll be getting vs. robotic?

I'm also curious how many hardcore Transformers fans are buying this line and how sales are? I'm just a casual fan and the basic robotic versions are most appealing to me. I've never collected a Transformers line from the start. I'm guessing most folks on this board have plenty of other (and more affordable) Transformers lines already. There are likely some hardcore Transformers fans that buy every single item with Transformers on the box, but are they enough to sufficiently fuel this line?

Well I'd read this line up for Wave 3 a while ago, but now it's up. Can't say this one works for me.

• Alligaticon
    • Wreck-Gar
    • G2 Megatron
    • Tarn

I'll happily get Wreck-Gar, but don't care for the others.

I guess the chances of collecting the full original G1 Sunbow cast is pretty remote. I still hope we can get the Quintessons (Prosecutor mainly since Hasbro did pretty well by the judges).
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Well I'd read this line up for Wave 3 a while ago, but now it's up. Can't say this one works for me.

• Alligaticon
    • Wreck-Gar
    • G2 Megatron
    • Tarn

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...g?v=1638233318

I guess the chances of collecting the full original G1 Sunbow cast is pretty remote. I still hope we can get the Quintessons (Prosecutor mainly since Hasbro did pretty well by the judges).
    Who??

I agree, this is a huge miss. I assumed this line was all about getting cartoon accurate G1 characters. As a big fan of the G1 show (and comic) from my childhood, I only recognize Wreck-Gar in this wave - I've never even heard of, much less seen, any of those other 3 (even that apparent Megatron variant). Who are those nobodies??? With so many countless Sunbow characters they could pick from, why these??

This would be the equivalent of Super7 releasing a G.I. Joe Ultimates wave consisting of Airtight, Metal Head, Scoop and Cesspool.

Alligaticon was in the G1 cartoon, but it's one of the worst one-shots they could've done IMO. Do Nightbird, not this! Alpha Trion would've been nice too. If it had to be a beast-bot, Trypticon!!

Also I remember this G2 Megatron in the 90s, but still don't want him. Agreed, it's about on par with the DiC GI Joe characters (although at least Metal Head gives off a Sly Rax vibe).

I guess Tarn is the Decepticon's symbol for a head, so that's something, but I think my limits for the brand are reached with this wave. I might get two Wreck-Gars though because he comes with an army builder head by the look of it.

EDIT: I'm amazed they've not yet made Skywarp or Thunkdercracker to reuse Ghost Starscream parts.
    Last edited by gbagok; December 1, 2021 at 07:32pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar

• Alligaticon
    • Wreck-Gar
    • G2 Megatron
    • Tarn

I really don't understand what this line is trying to do. G.I. Joe Ultimates don't quite cross the threshold of "worthwhile" for me personally, but I can at least understand their purpose and the justification for their existence. These have even more hurdles than G.I. Joe. They're a Transformers toy that doesn't transform. Ok, somewhat dubious, but certainly not unprecedented or out of the question. They're a Transformers toy that doesn't transform and cost more than a Leader toy that does transform. Wait...what? They're renditions faithful to the cartoon. ...Ok...I don't really see a huge difference between "cartoon" G1 and "not cartoon" G1 designs unless you're trying to market "less detail" as a plus, but whatever... They're renditions faithful to the cartoon, and depict characters/iterations that were never in the cartoon. Wait....huh? What is the point of that...

Seriously... take Wreck-Gar for instance. The Studio 86 version of him transforms, (in my opinion) looks better in bot mode, and cost $25 less! What would be the rationale for buying this figure other than "it goes with the eclectic hodgepodge of overpriced non-transformers I have"?

[reads thread further]

I might get two Wreck-Gars though because he comes with an army builder head by the look of it.
    Ok, well I guess that's one reason. [Edit: ] BBTS list it as a "Toy Inspired Head" and a "Cartoon Inspired Head"

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    This would be the equivalent of Super7 releasing a G.I. Joe Ultimates wave consisting of Airtight, Metal Head, Scoop and Cesspool.
    Man, that Joe line up seems way better than this Transformer line up to me...

To be fair to Tarn, though: I think he's a fine Transformer character, he just doesn't fit well in this line at all in my opinion. If Hasbro ever did a Leader sized figure of him, I think that would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; December 1, 2021 at 06:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I really don't understand what this line is trying to do. G.I. Joe Ultimates don't quite cross the threshold of "worthwhile" for me personally, but I can at least understand their purpose and the justification for their existence. These have even more hurdles than G.I. Joe. They're a Transformers toy that doesn't transform. Ok, somewhat dubious, but certainly not unprecedented or out of the question. They're a Transformers toy that doesn't transform and cost more than a Leader toy that does transform. Wait...what? They're renditions faithful to the cartoon. ...Ok...I don't really see a huge difference between "cartoon" G1 and "not cartoon" G1 designs unless you're trying to market "less detail" as a plus, but whatever... They're renditions faithful to the cartoon, and depict characters/iterations that were never in the cartoon. Wait....huh? What is the point of that...

Seriously... take Wreck-Gar for instance. The Studio 86 version of him transforms, (in my opinion) looks better in bot mode, and cost $25 less! What would be the rationale for buying this figure other than "it goes with the eclectic hodgepodge of overpriced non-transformers I have"?

[reads thread further]

Ok, well I guess that's one reason. [Edit: ] BBTS list it as a "Toy Inspired Head" and a "Cartoon Inspired Head"

Man, that Joe line up seems way better than this Transformer line up to me...

To be fair to Tarn, though: I think he's a fine Transformer character, he just doesn't fit well in this line at all in my opinion. If Hasbro ever did a Leader sized figure of him, I think that would be pretty cool.
    I have no idea who Tarn is. Didn't even exist as a Z-list character in the G1 show. No idea why they decided to put him in a line that, unless I'm completely wrong, was marketed as giving the fans 100% G1 cartoon accurate renditions of their favourite characters. There are dozens upon dozens that they could do that would probably look pretty awesome, so this reveal is very confusing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Ugh. Well, I like Wreck-Gar, but that's about it. The TF toys that are toon-accurate that I've seen aren't very that toon accurate for me, but I cannot be the main customer for this line or they are in trouble.

G2 Megatron looks great. Lot of nice accessories from the comic.

Wreck Gar is very nice but seems pointless when Hasbro has a superior version that actually transforms at a cheaper price.

Tarn I can't say much about as I am not familiar witht he character from the comics but he looks cool.

Alligaticon is a very odd choice and really pointless.

This line is really all over the place with character choices and designs and not very consistent.
    G1 cartoon, G1 toys/Action Masters sub line, Marvel G2 toys, G1/G2 comic, IDW comic.
    Some figures G1 cartoon figures come with G1 toy heads, some don't.
    Some G1 figures are specifically based on how they appeared in the Action Masters sub line and not the standard G1 cartoon or toy.
    Then rather than have all the figures in robot mode some are made in their alt beast mode.

I am not a Transformers fan. I like Transformers, I watched the cartoon sometimes as a kid, I never had any toys. I was never invested in the franchise in any way.

I have recently bought my first Megatron and Optimus Prime and developed a slight interest in the franchise.

I did buy the Super 7 Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Grimlock from Wave 1 and 2.

From Wave 3 I don't recognize anything.

I will buy the alligator thing.

Crocodilians are my favorite animals and a transformer alligator looks awesome. The more I look at it, I'm tempted to buy 2.

• Alligaticon
    • Wreck-Gar
    • G2 Megatron
    • Tarn

YEAH! More Ultimates I don't want! Really odd choices here. I'd be up for some Quintessons also. Since they don't transform, I could use them in my TF display.

Yeah... this wave, no - this line, has been an oddity.

I would have loved a set of cartoon-accurate G1 Autobots and Decepticons... but, really, I have no idea what Super 7 is doing over there.

I'm gonna have to echo a lot of the points made here so far about wave 3. I feel like this line is all over the place as well and is suffering from a lack of purpose.

Super7 should have gone with an all-robotic Action Masters G1 cartoon kind of look every release. Or if they wanted to do the transformed versions, maybe they should have just made all the releases deluxe two-packs - maybe like $80 and have a 7" robotic version and a 7" transformed version so people get the best of both worlds with each character release.

As for this wave, Wreck-Gar is the only one I'm really interested in.

Getting a Megatron variant with his G2 look so early on is odd. Alligaticon looks ok but he's transformed and will only fit with Ultimates Grimbot so far. I am not familiar with Tarn.

I'd have been fine if they'd just done their Reaction figures in the Ultimates scale/articulation.

I'm willing to get non-transforming Transformers figures even at the higher price, but even so I'm only interested in one figure from this wave. I hope the emphasis is back to at least 3/4 Sunbow in the next wave and that they choose better one-offs than Alligaticon. Someone like Alpha Trion is at least relevant. On the plus side, I'm saving money this way after being drawn to GI Joe, ThunderCats, and Silverhawks. Maybe that's the idea, but I hope it's sustainable.

http://thefwoosh.com/2022/05/super7-...me-first-look/

The figure looks okay in some poses but the range of motion in the articulation is very disappointing. Nowhere near as goos Hasbro's R.E.D. figure.