Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Super7 SilverHawks Figures - CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Agreed. I think they all look really great, ESPECIALLY Mon*Star. I hope they will be as wonderful in hand as they are in these pics. I have a feeling they will surpass expectations.

I'm also relieved to see the metallic paint app in those bigger high res photos. The color and the gloss clear coat, I expect, will make them shinier than they seem in these photos.

-Johnny C
    Something else that I am liking beside the lack of peg-holes is the way in which the arms are articulated.

Looking at Steelheart, it seems like the elbow joints will have both a swivel and a hinge!

Also, due to their designs, the articulation-lines, that would normally be an eyesore on humanoid figures, just looks like part of their bionic plating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Stop stealing my material!!
    D'oh!

Sorry again, Bonehead! ... this isn't the first time this happened... (sometimes images don't show up in the threads when I'm on my phone)

"Great minds..." I suppose.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I can't get over how cool Buzzsaw looks! I'm in, but I may have to plan accordingly based on what their Godzilla offerings look like...

Apparently there are 2 heads for Quicksilver with different expressions, but it is not clear which one it will include, Steelheart will have the 2 options.

Regarding the sculpting and painting of the face, I'm not totally convinced, I think they went through the Disney or childish filter, they look like children's shampoo drawings, especially her.
    I miss the roughness and realistic touch of the sculpting in the "Classics" approach, this is too much "Club Grayskull" for me, details are lacking.

The proportions of the body seem to be quite good. I attach a comparison, with the model sheet and the animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Baedal View Post
    Apparently there are 2 heads for Quicksilver with different expressions, but it is not clear which one it will include, Steelheart will have the 2 options.

Regarding the sculpting and painting of the face, I'm not totally convinced, I think they went through the Disney or childish filter, they look like children's shampoo drawings, especially her.
    I miss the roughness and realistic touch of the sculpting in the "Classics" approach, this is too much "Club Grayskull" for me, details are lacking.

The proportions of the body seem to be quite good. I attach a comparison, with the model sheet and the animation.
    I like Steelheart's second non-masked head better than the one shown in the promo pics... it looks closer to the source and doesn't have that goofy smile.

As for Quicksilver, I see what you mean, but I really don't mind either of these choices. His is a face that is so by-the-books standard that it would be hard to not have it look vanilla...

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope that Super 7 remembers to include peg-holes for the laser beams at the shoulders!

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, I am just not a fan of expression-less head sculpts in general... makes the figures look incredibly lifeless. What's the point of tons of articulation, if the the figures have an utterly bored look on their face

Heroic Warrior
    Apparently there are 2 heads for Quicksilver with different expressions, but it is not clear which one it will include
    The head on the right (which was the first one they shown) seems like they were going for how the face looked in the promo image. You can see the placeholder furrow lines on the render that somewhat match up. But seems like they softened up the expression to match the animation more in the updated version.

Her face is looking like a Disney princess lol.

With the prices of these, I'm glad they didn't meet my expectations.

I went ahead and pre-ordered Quicksilver and Steelheart. As much as I'd love to be a completist on this line, I just can't justify the price (especially knowing that ThunderCats is going to see the same price hike per figure and I will be a completist on that line as far as unique characters go) nor do I really have the space to display a full line of Silverhawks figures in addition to my MOTUC, DCUC and TCats collections. So for me it'll be the core five 'Hawks (and maybe Commander Stargazer and Hotwing) and that's it.

I'll probably pine for some of the other characters, especially all those awesome villains, but I'll just have to get over it.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I went ahead and pre-ordered Quicksilver and Steelheart. As much as I'd love to be a completist on this line, I just can't justify the price (especially knowing that ThunderCats is going to see the same price hike per figure and I will be a completist on that line as far as unique characters go) nor do I really have the space to display a full line of Silverhawks figures in addition to my MOTUC, DCUC and TCats collections. So for me it'll be the core five 'Hawks (and maybe Commander Stargazer and Hotwing) and that's it.

I'll probably pine for some of the other characters, especially all those awesome villains, but I'll just have to get over it.

This is gonna be the sentiment of many. There's just too much stuff out there not just from S7, but as a whole. Allocating where dollars go towards this stuff will be most people's #1 issue. Some will say that was always the case, but I disagree. Even 10+ years ago, spending $20.00 on one of these was much easier to swallow/swing then the now $55.00. No one's buying the inflation argument to that degree.

As much as S7 and the people would like to see these lines go deep, I just don't see how many or any of them really do.

Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    This is gonna be the sentiment of many. There's just too much stuff out there not just from S7, but as a whole. Allocating where dollars go towards this stuff will be most people's #1 issue. Some will say that was always the case, but I disagree. Even 10+ years ago, spending $20.00 on one of these was much easier to swallow/swing then the now $55.00. No one's buying the inflation argument to that degree.

As much as S7 and the people would like to see these lines go deep, I just don't see how many or any of them really do.
    I can agree with this for sure. There is just SO MUCH to buy right now if you're a kid from the 80's and 90's. I think, with a product like this Silverhawks line, you just really have to LOVE the property and just have no other choice in your mind to go all in. Personally, I am one of those people. I was all in on Thundercats, but now that this line has come been announced, I'm going to get all of the Silverhawks and cherry pick Thundercats. Gonna have to. Both lines are very pricey. I'm just thrilled that something like Silverhawks is FINALLY being recognized and bringing something from my childhood that I loved so much back to light. I never thought I'd see the day!

-Johnny C

Agree with all of that.

I've also come to realize its not even so much a financial issue as a space/display one. There are so many cool toys out there, but I'm not really interested in overloading my house displaying them.

On one of the bookshelves in my den/reading room I have my small collection of... all 8(?) Mirage comic TMNT figures, and in my office I have a floating shelf that goes all the way around the room with my Ashley Wood 3A figures.

So I end up with a bunch of MOTUC and a handful of Thundercats Classics in a closet. And Maybe 20 Mythic Legends (which I think are so freaking cool) still in their original shipping box...

So yeah, I want Silverhawks and Defenders of the Earth and a dozen other lines, but then I always remind myself that they're just going to end up in a closet where no one will ever see them and I can resist.

And the 55.00 per figure price makes it a much easier decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post

I wonder how many collectors have the opposite idea... that is, they are only collecting the villains and not the Silverhawks? This series has always been known for it's cool bad guys!

Also, it is really hard for me to bite the bullet on these with the prices so ridiculously high... but, then I just remind myself that Super 7 "expects to ship in spring of 2022..." Which means we won't actually get them until closer to the fall/winter - if we're lucky. (They have never hit an expected release window, and I don't think they will for this line either.)

Me! Haha I always enjoyed the designs of the villains more than the heroes on Silverhawks (with the except of Bluegrass). I'm all in on the Thundercats, and with the price hike, I'm more than happy to just pretend the Silverhawks villains are actually Thundercats villains!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I wonder how many collectors have the opposite idea... that is, they are only collecting the villains and not the Silverhawks? This series has always been known for it's cool bad guys!

Also, it is really hard for me to bite the bullet on these with the prices so ridiculously high... but, then I just remind myself that Super 7 "expects to ship in spring of 2022..." Which means we won't actually get them until closer to the fall/winter - if we're lucky. (They have never hit an expected release window, and I don't think they will for this line either.)
    Biggest MOTUC wants - Hunga the Harpy! Yukkers, Colonel Blast, Evil Robot, the Twiggets and Admiral Scurvy! We need the Thundercats Classics back!

I'm just thrilled that something like Silverhawks is FINALLY being recognized and bringing something from my childhood that I loved so much back to light. I never thought I'd see the day!

-Johnny C
    This.
    The reason I'm enduring collecting these (Classics MOTU, TCats, SHawks, Classified G.I Joes, Re-release TFormers G1) is because this is the second chance for me to capture that childhood joy brought by this brands. No third chance in this lifetime. This is it for me.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Placed my order with BBTS. I'm really happy with these. Hopefully they aren't delayed too much.
    Same, Ordered through bbts. Easier than sending 250 bones to S7 for nearly a year.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Agree with all of that.

I've also come to realize its not even so much a financial issue as a space/display one. There are so many cool toys out there, but I'm not really interested in overloading my house displaying them.

On one of the bookshelves in my den/reading room I have my small collection of... all 8(?) Mirage comic TMNT figures, and in my office I have a floating shelf that goes all the way around the room with my Ashley Wood 3A figures.

So I end up with a bunch of MOTUC and a handful of Thundercats Classics in a closet. And Maybe 20 Mythic Legends (which I think are so freaking cool) still in their original shipping box...

So yeah, I want Silverhawks and Defenders of the Earth and a dozen other lines, but then I always remind myself that they're just going to end up in a closet where no one will ever see them and I can resist.

And the 55.00 per figure price makes it a much easier decision.
    What you've said is so on point. It's not just about the money, but the space to display them.

Many of my figures are already packed like sardines, and there comes a point in collecting when it's no longer enjoyable and simply becomes inventory management.

It's great there are options for collectors who have both the space and money for these figures.

For myself, it is just going to be some Transformers, Joe Classifieds, MOTU, and maybe a bit of Thundercats (it's just that S7's track record for releasing them as per the schedule is abysmal, which is another reason, along with the high price, that the Silverhawks figures are a pass for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

I thought hard about this but decided I wanted at least the core group along with the villains. I'm guessing I'll buy everything in the first few waves and then start cherry picking towards the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I'm going to live in my current home for another 6 or 7 years. After that I WILL have a home with a man-cave. Right now I buy things for the cave that go into storage awaiting for that day. I'm scared to wait because prices will only go up the older this stuff gets.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I would have gotten two of each flying 'Hawk, one in normal mode and the other in "wing it" mode, but $55 for each figure has made me abandon that idea.

I dunno, SilverHawks could be completed in five waves + bonus figures. That line is very doable.
    Now things like Storm Collectibles is another story! Not sure how they are going to finish up those Street Fighter, King of Fighters or Darkstalkers rosters!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) Azdar Belzar Chazdar 200X Evil-Lyn 200X Teenage Prince Adam 200X Teenage Teela 200X Sorceress General Rattlor (MYP) 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena Ice Armor He-Man WMD Roboto

Quick edit.

These are an approximation of what the figures would look like with metallic paint.

Apparently the official photos have already been retouched to remove contrast and modify the color. It's possible that the original work of the Four Horsemen is closer to that of my edits. I've verified that they are not digital renderings, are physical prototypes photographs.

Quick edit.

These are an approximation of what the figures would look like with metallic paint.

Apparently the official photos have already been retouched to remove contrast and modify the color.
    Interesting. Where did you find out that info?

-Johnny C

Interesting video and well worth listeing to regarding Super 7's licencing and over pricing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziM2dv4Teyc&t=3s
    Last edited by Mark M; June 15, 2021 at 03:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Interesting video and well worth listeing to regarding Super 7's licencing and over pricing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziM2dv4Teyc&t=3s
    I agree with some of what he says, but the guy should really get his facts straight on some things before putting his opinions out there. The most glaring one was how he was so sure that the issue with vac metal on these is due to environmental concerns, etc (which is true). However, the true fact is that these simply cannot be vac metalized due to the type of plastic they are made of. It's far too malleable and would chip and the slightest give. ABS plastic is really the only plastic you can do that on and get away with it. And we definitely don't want these figures made of ABS. Actually, in the video he even refers to Quicksilver being made of ABS (although I can't tell if he corrected himself or not, lol), which is false. I do believe these are your standard PVC just like every other Ultimates figure out there.

AS for pricing, I dunno... yeah these are highly priced and I have no idea what's behind that. Small company? Materials cost during a pandemic? Greed? Who knows. But that's capitalism for ya. They set the price and if you want the thing bad enough and can afford it, you buy it. I mean, I would love to have a Delorean but I can't afford it so I don't buy it. Pictures sure are nice to look at though.

Interesting video, nonetheless... thanks for sharing.

-Johnny C

Heroic Warrior
    Quick edit.

Apparently the official photos have already been retouched to remove contrast and modify the color. It's possible that the original work of the Four Horsemen is closer to that of my edits. I've verified that they are not digital renderings, are physical prototypes photographs.

http://imgfz.com/i/jhTHoEB.jpeg

http://imgfz.com/i/Co5sLjI.jpeg

http://imgfz.com/i/OU9drWu.jpeg

http://imgfz.com/i/3AQnUFH.jpeg
    That's pretty much what I was expecting all along. Something on par with God Skeletor and v2 Voltron. And if the final figures do end up looking like the solicitation pics, thats a pretty strong indication that theyre probably going to be making 'toy deco' versions of Quicksilver and Steelheart later on at some point.

Interesting. Where did you find out that info?

-Johnny C
    I discovered it when working digitally with the material to make these edits, when seeing certain details there are some imperfections.

I just finished another edit and it is much more obvious. I only adjusted a few levels, color, light and exposure, the result was perfectly metallic. To give that appearance to a surface, you have to work with many more options to reach a similar finish, here it was practically automatic, in 2 or 3 steps.