Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Super7 SilverHawks Figures - CONFIRMED

Mod Note:

Hey gang, lets keep the discussion as on-topic as possible and refrain from personal debates. If you feel the need to discuss each other, take it to pm. Thanks!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    Ha no not at all. I keep a pretty low profile and probably should just keep my mouth shut, but Iím a sculptor who works for Four Horsemen Design. I do a lot of work on the Super7 lines. For this wave I sculpted Quicksilver and Steelheart (although another sculptor handled her bird).
    Very cool! Glad to make your acquaintance! Nice to know that some people directly involved in this fantastic line are around. Iím looking forward to the day we can see actual sculpts and beyond the CG renders. This is a true dream line for me.

Btw, donít keep your mouth shut man, lol. Jump in any time!

-Johnny C

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Very cool! Glad to make your acquaintance! Nice to know that some people directly involved in this fantastic line are around. Iím looking forward to the day we can see actual sculpts and beyond the CG renders. This is a true dream line for me.

Btw, donít keep your mouth shut man, lol. Jump in any time!

-Johnny C
    I absolutely agree with JohnnyC!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I think him saying he'll "keep his mouth shut" is less about thread aggression, and likely more to do with NDAs.

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Thanks guys! Iíve actually been here pretty much since the boards started. I was in high school at the time ha ha. I just rarely post anymore. Iím honestly too busy most of the time.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Most companies also don't want to make poor quality products to then have to send stuff to biased reviewers and appear on various podcasts and interviews doing damage control and send out "booster packs"....
    most companies aren't also willing to say they made mistakes and try to make it right. They just take your money and say "whelp, got you money, buy more stuff"
    cogito ergo doleo

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LioConvoy View Post
    When using terms like "small" or "big" business, is the primary qualifier employee number, profit, or a mixture of both? And where do these standards come from/what is the basis?

Edit: For clarity since we've been combative with each other before, my question above is genuine, and not some sort of "gotcha".
    The simplest answer is that small businesses are privately-owned, and have fewer resourcesóboth in terms of capital and employeesóand less profits, than publicly-traded businesses in the same industry. The size standards and the methodology for determining them are set by the Small Business Administration.

But by any measure, Super7 is considered a small business. It also explains many of the complaints in this thread. They do not have the capital to put products into production without a pre-order. They are not doing the volume of business with the manufacturer to be prioritized in the production queue. They are operating with such small margins that they cannot afford to have capital frozen in stock that sits in a warehouse. The cost of production is being spread across fewer units, resulting in a higher cost per unit, but not a higher profit margin per unit. People act as though they are some giant multi-national corporation with hundreds of millions in resources, and they just are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    The automotive paint app being a possibility to the figure is interesting. The pearlized will add effect that will be so cool. If that will be a reality then these figures will have their own identity while blending well with the rest of figures under Classics and Ultimates! line.
    I need to watch that new video of Pixel Dan now.
    Automotive paint would be cool. It did not even occur to me it would be possible on plastics. That is probably why it is something with which they are experimenting. I do not think I have ever seen it done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Automotive paint would be cool. It did not even occur to me it would be possible on plastics. That is probably why it is something with which they are experimenting. I do not think I have ever seen it done before.
    It would be cool. I've never seen it done either (I don't think), but if they could pull it off somehow, the esthetic would be fantastic IMO.

Come to think of it (and I could be mistaken) when you buy model cars and use the model paint the hobby shop has, some of those have a great metallic sheen... add a gloss coat over that and you've got a nice shiny finish.

-Johnny C

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    most companies aren't also willing to say they made mistakes and try to make it right. They just take your money and say "whelp, got you money, buy more stuff"
    Super 7, to the best of my knowledge, have never siad "they" made a mistake...they blamed the factory etc.
    It was cool though that they tried to make it right, credit where credit is due.

Heroic Warrior
    The automotive paint idea is a really cool one. It can be done on some plastics and vinyl. I know a number of cosplayers who have gone that route. And the idea that it might give you a silver shimmer is really cool. But we will have to see what super 7 delivers. I wish they'd waited a bit to give us a better idea of what we are ordering though. But I feel a lot better about my preorder now. If they pull off the paint the way they are describing I'm gonna wish I could go all in here. Personally I thought they might be aiming at hydro dipping, but this sounds fantastic.

An action figure with an automotive finish sounds cool...

But, don't those paints have to have a lot of acetone, toulene and methanol in them - along with the suspended metal flake?

Wouldn't these chemicals compromise the plastic?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    An action figure with an automotive finish sounds cool...

But, don't those paints have to have a lot of acetone, toulene and methanol in them - along with the suspended metal flake?

Wouldn't these chemicals compromise the plastic?
    That's a very good point. I have no idea if Brian meant actual automotive paint or not. My guess is not because of the reasons you stated.... but, as I've mentioned before, what WOULD work are model paints (Testors, etc, that type of paint). They are meant for plastic model cars and many of them have a great metallic sheen to them. In addition to that, add a high gloss clear coat and I think that would work very well on these figures.

He did mention the pearl-esque type of paint they were wanting to go with if they could. I'm truly not a HUGE fan of that idea, but it actually could look VERY cool if done correctly. I think we are genuinely in for a nice surprise with these when they are finished.

-Johnny C

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna Prime View Post
    The automotive paint idea is a really cool one. It can be done on some plastics and vinyl. I know a number of cosplayers who have gone that route. And the idea that it might give you a silver shimmer is really cool. But we will have to see what super 7 delivers. I wish they'd waited a bit to give us a better idea of what we are ordering though. But I feel a lot better about my preorder now. If they pull off the paint the way they are describing I'm gonna wish I could go all in here. Personally I thought they might be aiming at hydro dipping, but this sounds fantastic.
    Apparently, a lot of cosplayers 3-D print plastic armors and paint them with automotive paint, and it looks like metal. Lots of Iron Man and Storm Troopers.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    There's a guy out on the East coast somewhere called CustomNESGuy who repaints old consoles with automotive paints. He mixes the colors himself, and does all sorts of high gloss to flat matte finishes, and they all look really great. If Brian can just get a hold of someone like CNESG, who regularly uses car paints with non-car objects, Brian would have no problems figuring out what to do with the Silverhawks. Cuz at the very least, even if the Silverhawks figures don't get a metallic sheen, auto paints can be so high gloss that they should look fine even without metallic effects in them =)

https://www.instagram.com/customnesguy/

https://www.facebook.com/Customnesguy/photos

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    There's a guy out on the East coast somewhere called CustomNESGuy who repaints old consoles with automotive paints. He mixes the colors himself, and does all sorts of high gloss to flat matte finishes, and they all look really great. If Brian can just get a hold of someone like CNESG, who regularly uses car paints with non-car objects, Brian would have no problems figuring out what to do with the Silverhawks. Cuz at the very least, even if the Silverhawks figures don't get a metallic sheen, auto paints can be so high gloss that they should look fine even without metallic effects in them =)

https://i.ibb.co/S01Ygm7/cnesgpaint.jpg
    See, THIS is what I'm talking about. That paint app is perfect for this figure line. It's shiny, it's reflective, and would give them such an edgy, cool look.

I commented on one of these guys photos on Instagram and tagged Brian Flynn and Super7 in it. Can't hurt, right?

-Johnny C
    Last edited by JohnnyC; June 21, 2021 at 09:22pm.

I think you guys are forgetting that your car you drive is 50/50 plastic/metal. Same paint on metal parts and plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    I think you guys are forgetting that your car you drive is 50/50 plastic/metal. Same paint on metal parts and plastic.
    I was going to say this in a much more long-winded post...

Thank you for being succinct and saving me the trouble.

Yup. And as such, I don't see how this would be a problem at all to apply. Although PVC is a softer plastic, but I have no idea what bearing that would have on the kind of paint used. Guess it depends on what kind of "give" automotive paint has.

-Johnny C

In other words, you're saying our cars are partly metal, partly ... plastic? Dang, this thread just came so close to going full circle.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    In other words, you're saying our cars are partly metal, partly ... plastic? Dang, this thread just came so close to going full circle.
    I like it when your like this rather than being gloomy @Wakko Thundercats and the Silverhawks will be fine. You better ready yourself to update your encyclopedia soon.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Damn. Beat me to the joke lol
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post

https://i.ibb.co/S01Ygm7/cnesgpaint.jpg
    Wow!!

Now this I like! That metallic orange would be so cool for Copper Kidd!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... in the Silverhawks intro, they say partly metal, partly real...

Are they insinuating that Metal ISN'T real?!?

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    I would think the gaps on the joints of the figures would have to be wider if using automotive paint. Any rubbing of paint would cause it to chip easily making posing likely to cause damage.

Door, hood, trunk gaps, ect should be aligned properly prior to paint not only for looks but also to reduce the chance of chipping/damage unless panels are painted off the the car. But then again, I’m no expert…
    Last edited by racer x; June 22, 2021 at 02:37pm.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I'm personally not wed to the idea that every single part of a figure has to be painted. If the majority of a figure is painted metallic, but then the socket joint that rolls around underneath is bare plastic (painted grey at the very least), then that would be fine to me.

Shartimus Prime Super7 Interview