Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Super7 SilverHawks Figures - CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    man, I just can't make it through a shartimus interview. Someone will need to tell me if he was told anything different.

but here is one from Fwoosh as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEXs1xWVZs
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    man, I just can't make it through a shartimus interview. Someone will need to tell me if he was told anything different.

but here is one from Fwoosh as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEXs1xWVZs
    I skipped through to where they were discussing trying to do a color-shifting automotive style paint. He repeated that he couldn't promise it was going to happen but that it was what they were working on.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I skipped through to where they were discussing trying to do a color-shifting automotive style paint. He repeated that he couldn't promise it was going to happen but that it was what they were working on.
    Even if they aren't able to do the pearled paint app, I still think automotive paint (providing it will hold up properly on PVC) is a great way to go for a wonderful glossy and metallic sheen. I hope to see it realized on these figures.

-Johnny C

Shartimus Prime Super7 Interview part 2

I have to give Shartimus Prime a lot of credit for holding Brian Flynn's feet to the fire.

I'm still frustrated with Flynn, because I feel like he's talking out of two sides of his mouth on the paint issue. At one moment, he's arguing that the figures are "cartoon accurate" in defense of the duller, more matte-like finish. The next moment, he's saying that they're working on an approach that will make them look "metallic, but not shiny."

I appreciate Shartimus pointing out to Flynn that had Quicksilver and Steelheart been shown with metallic paint from the get-go, there would have been few complaints. This is in response to Flynn throwing up his hands and saying that he can't please everyone. No, he can't, but Shartimus is right that metallic paint would have been met with MUCH less resistance. And in response to Flynn repeatedly insisting that these figures are "cartoon accurate," Shartimus correctly points out that, within the constraints of 1980s animation, the Silverhawks did have a shiny/metallic finish, so calling them "cartoon accurate" as an excuse for Super7's less metallic approach is questionable at best.

I remain baffled at Super7's approach to this. Flynn says they are still working on exactly how to approach the paint on these, but they won't have a solution to present "for several months." Then why solicit the pre-order so far before you're ready to show the look of the final product? Flynn also repeatedly says they can always go back and revisit/re-release these figures with a more metallic/shiny paint finish in the future. This wreaks of the double-dipping a lot of action figure companies employ these days (release a character once with several flaws, re-release it later with those flaws addressed, collectors buy the same character twice). And I'm sorry, at at least $55 a pop, the vast majority of collectors won't be able to afford to purchase a second version of a character they already own.

So again, if they had just revealed Quicksilver/Steelheart with a shiny metallic finish (not vac metal, but the kind of finish we know Super7 and other companies have managed in the past) from the start, like Shartimus said, the complaints would have been minimal. I can't imagine many (if any) Silverhawks fans seeing these figures with a shiny/metallic finish and saying, "but they looked duller in the cartoon!" It's a ridiculous argument. I really hope this "automotive paint" approach is successful and looks impressive. But it's something they should have figured out before revealing the figures.

You know, it recently occurred to me how funny this discussion is in light of what happened with Lion-O's claw shield. There were TONS of arguments about Mattel's release of the furry shield when the majority of fans viewed it as metallic in the cartoon. In fact, in the cartoon Lion-O's claw shield is indeed portrayed as just as reflective/metallic as the Silverhawks. So what did Super7 give us when they re-released Lion-O? A shiny claw shield. So they can do it for the Silverhawks. They're just choosing not to, and I still don't understand why.
    Last edited by Wakko; June 24, 2021 at 11:37am.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Heroic Warrior
    For all of Brian's teasing, I fully expect these to ship exactly how they were shown in the promo pics. And I still think that's fine. I think there is some kind of mental parsing error happening when people look at the cartoon and register these as metallic and reflective. I am more on Brian's side with this. Strictly speaking, to get something on the shelf that looks like the cartoon characters and blends in with, say Tcats and MOTUC, the paint they have right now is the way to go - imho. Regardless, I think they did themselves a major diservice by putting up the preorder and then start talking about maybe, possibly changing the paint shortly before production... So either you **** of the people that wanted exactly what was shown, or you **** of the people that were dreaming of some kind of miracle pant application that never came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    For all of Brian's teasing, I fully expect these to ship exactly how they were shown in the promo pics. And I still think that's fine. I think there is some kind of mental parsing error happening when people look at the cartoon and register these as metallic and reflective. I am more on Brian's side with this. Strictly speaking, to get something on the shelf that looks like the cartoon characters and blends in with, say Tcats and MOTUC, the paint they have right now is the way to go - imho. Regardless, I think they did themselves a major diservice by putting up the preorder and then start talking about maybe, possibly changing the paint shortly before production... So either you **** of the people that wanted exactly what was shown, or you **** of the people that were dreaming of some kind of miracle pant application that never came to be.
    I'd say this: These images we are seeing are CG renders of these figures. So is it really paint we are seeing here? Are we getting all huffy and puffy for no reason? In all fairness to BOTH sides of this coin, we really should see a painted figure before judging. THAT SAID..... I absolutely and definitively wish that the pics shown of these figures were real life, painted products so we could truly tell what we are buying. And THAT said.... I have a feeling these are going to be better than what most people are imagining, especially after every single one of these interviews has talked about it and basically put the fact that the paint app is priority.

I still remain optimistic because I think the sculpts are fantastic. Let's see what paint they go with.

-Johnny C

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Thanks for posting. These Shartimus Prime interviews were a tad more informative than the Fwoosh which was mostly duplicative of Pixel Dan's. I never thought about the personal liability insurance need for toys and the 508 compliance website issues for Super7.

I'm probably a weirdo in that I don't mind the more dull colors for these SilverHawks matching the cartoon, but I totally understand wanting shinier, and I hope they can make them shinier. Too bad vac-metal figures aren't realistic in Ultimates. It would have been better if Super7 could have set these up for pre-order after figuring out the metallic shine issue. However, I will be buying them regardless and it'll be nice to have them sooner (summer 2022 if we're lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    For all of Brian's teasing, I fully expect these to ship exactly how they were shown in the promo pics. And I still think that's fine. I think there is some kind of mental parsing error happening when people look at the cartoon and register these as metallic and reflective.
    I respectfully disagree, and agree wholeheartedly with Shartimus Prime when he said that the Silverhawks were intended to be reflective/metallic and were portrayed as such within the confines of 1980s animation. I've been re-watching the series lately, and the highlights and shadows on the characters totally look as though their finish should be quite shiny. Fans can argue back and forth about this until they're blue in the face, but if you're in the shiny/reflective camp, supporting evidence can be found in the cartoon's opening credits, in the 1980s Kenner action figures, and in the slipcase to the cartoon's volume one DVD, which gave the 'Hawks a very reflective finish to their metal parts.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I still remain optimistic because I think the sculpts are fantastic. Let's see what paint they go with.
    With the exception of Steelheart's default (Kewpie doll) face, I completely agree -- the sculpts look great. I'm still salivating at the thought of having He-Man, Lion-O, and Quicksilver standing together in the same scale with the same sculpting aesthetic. Or Teela, Cheetara, and Steelheart. Or Mumm-Ra, Skeletor, and Mon*Starr. It's 1980s cartoon crossover bliss.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I'm probably a weirdo in that I don't mind the more dull colors for these SilverHawks matching the cartoon, but I totally understand wanting shinier, and I hope they can make them shinier.
    We can be weirdo's together then because I feel the same. I'd love for them to be shinier but will happily take them as shown.

We can be weirdo's together then because I feel the same. I'd love for them to be shinier but will happily take them as shown.
    Gonzo the Great would be proud.

I'm not a hardcore SilverHawks fan and didn't collect the toys as a kid (we only got a flea market loose Quicksilver), so I yield the floor to the big SilverHawks fans.

Gonzo the Great would be proud.

I'm not a hardcore SilverHawks fan and didn't collect the toys as a kid (we only got a flea market loose Quicksilver), so I yield the floor to the big SilverHawks fans.
    I have a special place in my heart for them but honestly it was the villains that I liked. If you ignore the paint or lack of, the color of the figures we've seen looks good to me and the figures themselves look great! And for me, half the figure is their bird and those look great too!

If I'm being honest, the only figure I'm not as pleased with is Buzz-saw, only because I rather have the toy colors I remember.

I have a special place in my heart for them but honestly it was the villains that I liked. If you ignore the paint or lack of, the color of the figures we've seen looks good to me and the figures themselves look great! And for me, half the figure is their bird and those look great too!

If I'm being honest, the only figure I'm not as pleased with is Buzz-saw, only because I rather have the toy colors I remember.
    Based on how pre-order sales have gone so far according to Brian, I'd imagine a green Buzz-Saw is a lock within the next few years. Super7 loves variants.

I was actually surprised to find out that the promo pics were computer models, and not actual sculpts.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Based on how pre-order sales have gone so far according to Brian, I'd imagine a green Buzz-Saw is a lock within the next few years. Super7 loves variants.
    S7 likes maximising on their investment, is more like it Which is understandable, considering that the tooling is one of the major cost factors.

If you were into customizing it would be pretty easy to make Buzz-Saw green with some dye and paint.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    If I were Brian, I would have only revealed and released Mon*star as a tease for the entire line. I would have told fans that, "The Silverhawks are finally here, and we're working on how to best release them with metallic paints. But up first, as a heavy hitter out of the gate, here's an oversized main villain figure!"

I guarantee Mon*star would have sold a lot more units than what has pre-sold now - even at his higher price point. It's the first solo figure of the line. It's cartoon accurate. It's huge! It's a single cost that would be less than $100 for the figure (not including shipping and tax). It would have kept the hype of the line high! And Mon*star wouldn't have needed to be metallic!

But pushing two Silverhawk members with very dull colors, and then trying to excuse it with ideas of metallic paint being hard to create/find, it not being smart to use dull flesh colors right up next to high gloss/metallic paints, and already kinda talking about variants being released after these first run figures, has certainly killed a lot of enthusiasm in fans minds that didn't need to be harmed at all (I'm still very much on the fence about pre-ordering the series, let alone hearing about how everyone else that has pre-ordered are still on the fence about keeping theirs).

Silverhawks are shiny, metallic, bright, futuristic, robot looking, sleek toys. When Brian says, "We're keeping them cartoon accurate," all I keep hearing is, "I don't want these to stick out any better than our Thundercats designs," when the Silverhawks need to stick out to even compete with the Thundercats (let alone MotU) in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    If you were into customizing it would be pretty easy to make Buzz-Saw green with some dye and paint.
    I don't have those types of skills

Fortunately, I still think the figure looks great so I'll be happy. Unless the re-release him later and I have to spend another $55

The paint applications on these figures is the deciding factor as to whether or not I am going to go forward with them, and right now from what I am seeing and what Brian is "trying" to explain to us, it's a great big fat NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I have to give Shartimus Prime a lot of credit for holding Brian Flynn's feet to the fire.

I'm still frustrated with Flynn, because I feel like he's talking out of two sides of his mouth on the paint issue. At one moment, he's arguing that the figures are "cartoon accurate" in defense of the duller, more matte-like finish. The next moment, he's saying that they're working on an approach that will make them look "metallic, but not shiny."

I appreciate Shartimus pointing out to Flynn that had Quicksilver and Steelheart been shown with metallic paint from the get-go, there would have been few complaints. This is in response to Flynn throwing up his hands and saying that he can't please everyone. No, he can't, but Shartimus is right that metallic paint would have been met with MUCH less resistance. And in response to Flynn repeatedly insisting that these figures are "cartoon accurate," Shartimus correctly points out that, within the constraints of 1980s animation, the Silverhawks did have a shiny/metallic finish, so calling them "cartoon accurate" as an excuse for Super7's less metallic approach is questionable at best.

I remain baffled at Super7's approach to this. Flynn says they are still working on exactly how to approach the paint on these, but they won't have a solution to present "for several months." Then why solicit the pre-order so far before you're ready to show the look of the final product? Flynn also repeatedly says they can always go back and revisit/re-release these figures with a more metallic/shiny paint finish in the future. This wreaks of the double-dipping a lot of action figure companies employ these days (release a character once with several flaws, re-release it later with those flaws addressed, collectors buy the same character twice). And I'm sorry, at at least $55 a pop, the vast majority of collectors won't be able to afford to purchase a second version of a character they already own.

So again, if they had just revealed Quicksilver/Steelheart with a shiny metallic finish (not vac metal, but the kind of finish we know Super7 and other companies have managed in the past) from the start, like Shartimus said, the complaints would have been minimal. I can't imagine many (if any) Silverhawks fans seeing these figures with a shiny/metallic finish and saying, "but they looked duller in the cartoon!" It's a ridiculous argument. I really hope this "automotive paint" approach is successful and looks impressive. But it's something they should have figured out before revealing the figures.

You know, it recently occurred to me how funny this discussion is in light of what happened with Lion-O's claw shield. There were TONS of arguments about Mattel's release of the furry shield when the majority of fans viewed it as metallic in the cartoon. In fact, in the cartoon Lion-O's claw shield is indeed portrayed as just as reflective/metallic as the Silverhawks. So what did Super7 give us when they re-released Lion-O? A shiny claw shield. So they can do it for the Silverhawks. They're just choosing not to, and I still don't understand why.
    Thanks for the summary. The last thing I want to do is suffer through a Shartimus video.

I'd love to have the decos more shinny but I'll take them dull also. It's not a deal breaker to me but I understand why it is for others.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    If I were Brian, I would have only revealed and released Mon*star as a tease for the entire line. I would have told fans that, "The Silverhawks are finally here, and we're working on how to best release them with metallic paints. But up first, as a heavy hitter out of the gate, here's an oversized main villain figure!"

I guarantee Mon*star would have sold a lot more units than what has pre-sold now - even at his higher price point. It's the first solo figure of the line. It's cartoon accurate. It's huge! It's a single cost that would be less than $100 for the figure (not including shipping and tax). It would have kept the hype of the line high! And Mon*star wouldn't have needed to be metallic!

But pushing two Silverhawk members with very dull colors, and then trying to excuse it with ideas of metallic paint being hard to create/find, it not being smart to use dull flesh colors right up next to high gloss/metallic paints, and already kinda talking about variants being released after these first run figures, has certainly killed a lot of enthusiasm in fans minds that didn't need to be harmed at all (I'm still very much on the fence about pre-ordering the series, let alone hearing about how everyone else that has pre-ordered are still on the fence about keeping theirs).

Silverhawks are shiny, metallic, bright, futuristic, robot looking, sleek toys. When Brian says, "We're keeping them cartoon accurate," all I keep hearing is, "I don't want these to stick out any better than our Thundercats designs," when the Silverhawks need to stick out to even compete with the Thundercats (let alone MotU) in the first place.
    In the animated series, the armor of Mon*Star is also metallic. It is not as highly-reflective as the SilverHawks, but it is metal. The figure was not electroplated, in part, because of the transformation action feature. So I would not see this as a solution since it would be treating Mon*Star like the vintage toy, and the SilverHawks like the animated series.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    In the animated series, the armor of Mon*Star is also metallic. It is not as highly-reflective as the SilverHawks, but it is metal. The figure was not electroplated, in part, because of the transformation action feature. So I would not see this as a solution since it would be treating Mon*Star like the vintage toy, and the SilverHawks like the animated series.
    And that's a totally fair fact to make. But at the same time, the business model of selling Mon*star to generate sudden hype would have made the launch of these figures that much better, imo. Certainly you could have come back to a variant Mon*star as the very last figure of the line, years from now, with a metallic paint job (or maybe even earlier than last if fan demand were there). But I still maintain, Brian shouldn't have released these images to the public without a definitive plan of painting them metallic from the get go. And if his mindset is that these figures don't need to be metallic, and if they don't end up that way then it's no big deal, then he's failed the line already.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    then he's failed the line already.
    In your opinion. Not everyone else’s. I know plenty of people who are very happy with the images that they’ve seen. And while I agree that I’d have preferred to see final paint decos in promotional pics, the fact remains that we still don’t know what these will end up looking like PLUS (and I’ll repeat myself again)… these are CG renders. How in the world can we expect them to completely represent a real life sculpted figure and its applications? It could be CLOSE. But it’s not real. And that’s where my hope lies. After the amount of feedback Brian has gotten, it could still go either way, but I’m willing to bet these are going to look far better in hand than we think.

Also…. And again…. They’re 55 dollars NOW. Order through BBTS and you have absolutely zero to lose. If you don’t like how they look upon final presentation, simply cancel and you’re free. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

-Johnny C

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    In your opinion. Not everyone else’s. I know plenty of people who are very happy with the images that they’ve seen. And while I agree that I’d have preferred to see final paint decos in promotional pics, the fact remains that we still don’t know what these will end up looking like PLUS (and I’ll repeat myself again)… these are CG renders. How in the world can we expect them to completely represent a real life sculpted figure and its applications? It could be CLOSE. But it’s not real. And that’s where my hope lies. After the amount of feedback Brian has gotten, it could still go either way, but I’m willing to bet these are going to look far better in hand than we think.

Also…. And again…. They’re 55 dollars NOW. Order through BBTS and you have absolutely zero to lose. If you don’t like how they look upon final presentation, simply cancel and you’re free. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

-Johnny C
    I know a lot of people too. Most of my regular customers aren't satisfied with the bad decision about paint that Super7 made and I can assure you that the price is the least of their worries.

Mon*star and Buzzsaw are renders, details such as the plastic mounted to force the posture (which will not be able to have the real figure) show it, but Quicksilver is not, it is a printed prototype, there are imperfections that a render should not have IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Baedal View Post
    I know a lot of people too. Most of my regular customers aren't satisfied with the bad decision about paint that Super7 made and I can assure you that the price is the least of their worries.

Mon*star and Buzzsaw are renders, details such as the plastic mounted to force the posture (which will not be able to have the real figure) show it, but Quicksilver is not, it is a printed prototype, there are imperfections that a render should not have IMO.

http://imgfz.com/i/GRPsZ1C.jpeg

http://imgfz.com/i/wY4kqdu.jpeg

http://imgfz.com/i/5xwiUSp.jpeg
    Hmmmm…. I see what you’re saying. I’m pretty sure Brian had said in one of the interviews that they had no prototypes as of yet… maybe a resin cast or something, but I can’t recall for sure.

Either way, these are (unfortunately) not a true representation of final product. Guess we just wait.

-Johnny C