Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defenders of the Earth from Neca

Defenders of the Earth from Neca

I'm not sure if this is deserving of its own thread, but Neca has covertly dropped wave 1 of the Defenders of the Earth figures at Wal-Mart stores this February!

I'm a huge DotE fan (and a big fan of King Features characters in general), so I have been heavily anticipating this line!

The Fwoosh did an awesome review of the first wave (Ming the Merciless looks [email protected]!!!)

Check it out here:
    http://thefwoosh.com/2021/02/neca-de...om-first-look/

I cannot wait to get these!!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Been waiting for these since they were announced, but Neca was weirdly silent on this line - safe a few short comments in the odd interview.

Looking good, hopefully they will make it to Europe soon...

Does anybody know what the quality of NECA's figures are like? I've watched a video where it's been said they are rather fragile compared to other action figures - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXBytF3TXjQ

These DotE figures look really good, the sculpts and paint apps look absolutely spot-on, hence my curiosity about whether their figures' quality are comparable to other lines, as this would be a deciding factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Does anybody know what the quality of NECA's figures are like? I've watched a video where it's been said they are rather fragile compared to other action figures - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXBytF3TXjQ

These DotE figures look really good, the sculpts and paint apps look absolutely spot-on, hence my curiosity about whether their figures' quality are comparable to other lines, as this would be a deciding factor for me.
    Back in 2009 i owned 8 different NECA action figures and of those 8 I had 4 have quality control issues with parts limbs and parts breaking and stuck joints.
    I have heard that their qulaity control has vastly improved...but there are still a lot of reviews showing their most recent products still have issues, mostly with stiff stuck joints.

I grew up watching the DOTE cartoon and had all the Galoob action figures and Mongor and the Claw Copter and even VHS and story books. I still have the books along with the complete series on DVD so these figures are pretty much a must have for me, regardless of scale etc.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, these look very impressive.

Heroic Warrior
    OOH!!! man i want these bad... Hopefully they will be available somewhere other than wal mart !!
    nope

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    These looks so good! I have this wave ordered. NECA quality seems to be a lot better than what it was back in the day, I used to avoid buying anything NECA related until they got the TMNT license. I'd say the QC on those is pretty satisfactory, especially on the movie line.
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    These look great and I'm looking forward to them. I watched the cartoon and had the old Galoob figures as a kid.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    OOH!!! man i want these bad... Hopefully they will be available somewhere other than wal mart !!
    They're only Walmart exclusive for 30 days, then they'll be available everywhere else.

Iíve got a set on order as well, looking forward to getting them at some point. The one Iím most lookimg forward to though is Mandrake, hopefully we get him at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Iíve got a set on order as well, looking forward to getting them at some point. The one Iím most lookimg forward to though is Mandrake, hopefully we get him at some point.
    I am really excited about all of them but I think the one I am really most excited about is Lothar. His vintage figure had the most unique sculpt of the six.
    Aside from the original six I would love the yound Defenders and the ice robots or men of frost. Even the Ice Robots from Roots of Evil would be very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post

I won't apologize for Neca's customer relations and pompous attitudes, but they do get a lot of unwarranted flak for their QC. Admittedly, some of this flak is deserved, but recently, their quality has improved a lot.

I have almost the entire Neca Predator series of figures, and I have not had a problem with any of them. I have every single Gears of War figure as well, and zero issues. Every one of their Ultimate Horror figures I own have not given me any problems and I just picked up their newest King Kong figure on a whim only to find that it is built like a tank! Seriously, I contorted his joints, swapped all the hands and head with absolutely no fear of breakage.

I also have the entire set of Toon TMNT (with the exception of the Triceratons and the Vernon/Rat King pack) and they are very well constructed.

I am so looking forward to these Defenders figures! I will probably buy two Phantoms so that I can add the stripes to one of their shorts.

These look like amazing figures, and at this price point, it almost makes it seem like Super 7 is robbing us blind and laughing all the way to the bank...

Thank you for all of the information regarding the quality of NECA's action figures. It certainly inspires more confidence.

So, now I have to scrounge around and find some money....

Heroic Warrior
    My son is a huge fan of Neca figures including a tonnes of Alien, Predator and most of the movie mania like Freddy Jason Michael etc and we have never had any issues with them other than head exchanges are tough coming off n going back on.

I was a huge fan of the DOTE as a kid, I was always mandrake when we role played in the playground in primary school

Holy cow! I was thinking earlier today (always a dangerous past time)...

If wave one of the Defenders of the Earth does well, and we get Mandrake and Lothar in wave two and that does well, we could see even more figures coming about.

I would LOVE to see other King Features characters!

Obviously, we would need to get Rick Gordon, LJ, Jedda and Kishin... but then it would be cool to see:

-Prince Valiant
    -Jungle Jim
    -Dr. Zarkov
    -Dale Arden
    &
    -The original Phantom

I got the Defenders of the Earth figures today!!

These things are incredible! Just like the King Kong figure before them, I have not had any issues with the quality of these!

They are really solid "superhero" type figures... I almost wish that Neca had been able to get the ThunderCat and SilverHawks licenses.

On top of the awesome articulation, each figure has a ton of accessories and an amazing paint job... seriously, Ming and Flash have some of the best paint work on their faces that I've seen in a western action figure.

Attachment 125008

Attachment 125009

Bravo Neca!! I can't wait for series 2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I got the Defenders of the Earth figures today!!

These things are incredible! Just like the King Kong figure before them, I have not had any issues with the quality of these!

They are really solid "superhero" type figures... I almost wish that Neca had been able to get the ThunderCat and SilverHawks licenses.

On top of the awesome articulation, each figure has a ton of accessories and an amazing paint job... seriously, Ming and Flash have some of the best paint work on their faces that I've seen in a western action figure.

Attachment 125008

Attachment 125009

Bravo Neca!! I can't wait for series 2!!!
    Congrats on getting the figures. I will probably still get them, but i am very disappointed that they just painted the wrist and ankle joints and the paint just omes off of them. They should have just molded them in the correct colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Congrats on getting the figures. I will probably still get them, but i am very disappointed that they just painted the wrist and ankle joints and the paint just omes off of them. They should have just molded them in the correct colour.
    Yeah, I agree. And it's especially strange, because that's what Neca did with their Foot Soldier swappable hands!

But, I have to say, the good FAR outweighs the bad with these amazing figures!

Some of my favorite highlights are, Ming's real fabric cloak. It's super high-quality and has a wire running through the base for different display purposes!

The weapons, swords especially, are super detailed! The intricate designs and paint apps are incredible.

The laser pistols have attachments that make them look like they're firing!

And, Zuffy is actually poseable! He has ball-joints in his arms, legs and neck!

Truly, these are some figures I never knew I needed... and that I am so glad I got!

neca dote 3.jpg
    Last edited by Ornclown; February 17, 2021 at 11:37pm.

Yeah, I agree. And it's especially strange, because that's what Neca did with their Foot Soldier swappable hands!

But, I have to say, the good FAR outweighs the bad with these amazing figures!

Some of my favorite highlights are, Ming's real fabric cloak. It's super high-quality and has a wire running through the base for different display purposes!

The weapons, swords especially, are super detailed! The intricate designs and paint apps are incredible.

The laser pistols have attachments that make them look like they're firing!

And, Zuffy is actually poseable! He has ball-joints in his arms, legs and neck!

Truly, these are some figures I never knew I needed... and that I am so glad I got!

neca dote 3.jpg
    Awesome. Now I will have to find these in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm not really a hardcore fan (this was one of the franchises I must have missed as a kid somehow and admittedly don't know a whole lot about) but the figures look cool.
    Yeah, unfortunately this was an incredible show that was lost in the deluge of 80's cartoons. There was so much competition from hot new properties that these classic heroes just couldn't compete... I was lucky enough to have a dad who was a big fan of the old King Features comic strips, so his passion was passed on to me when we discovered the Defenders of the Earth animated series.

Flash Gordon was created by Alex Raymond in the early 1930s!! Sadly, most just know of him through the (now) cult favorite 1980 movie...

The Phantom was created by Lee Falk, also in the 1930s! He has remained a very popular character for years and was the star of a 1996 movie starring Billy Zane.

Mandrake the Magician & Lothar were also the creation of Lee Falk in the 1930s and Mandrake is considered by many historians to be the first true superhero. Both Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate owe a lot to Mandrake the magician!

Most recently, Dynamite publishing has optioned these characters, along with other King Features characters like Prince Valiant and Jungle Jim, as part of a series of crossover comics which retell a portion of their origins and culminates in a huge team-up, ala Infinity Saga...

Fun fact, Stan Lee was a huge fan of these characters and even wrote the lyrics to the Defenders of the Earth cartoon opening!

Widget
    Fingers crossed they pop up on BBTS , can't wait to get my hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'm not really a hardcore fan (this was one of the franchises I must have missed as a kid somehow and admittedly don't know a whole lot about) but the figures look cool.
    King Features have released basically the full series on YouTube. The DVD set is worth getting, some grreat episodes.

In the UK on Saturday morning they used to show Thundercats and Defenders of the Earth along with Kissy Fur.

- - - Updated - - -

Most recently, Dynamite publishing has optioned these characters, along with other King Features characters like Prince Valiant and Jungle Jim, as part of a series of crossover comics which retell a portion of their origins and culminates in a huge team-up, ala Infinity Saga...

Fun fact, Stan Lee was a huge fan of these characters and even wrote the lyrics to the Defenders of the Earth cartoon opening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs
    I must read those comics eventually.

The pilot is also on YouTube. It's cool seeing how much some the characters changed for the actual series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4dgwinsBY&t=90s

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    How do these look with MotUC?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    How do these look with MotUC?
    The Neca buck is not as beefy as the MOTUC, but they look pretty good next to one another.

dote comp1.jpg

dote comp2.jpg

The Neca buck is not as beefy as the MOTUC, but they look pretty good next to one another.
    Thanks for the photos, these look good!