Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defenders of the Earth from Neca

A UK shop got the DOTE figures in stock and I ordered them today so I should have them in a few days.

I opened mine yesterday, apart from some paint rub on a couple of wrist joints thereís no issues with any of mine, iím looking forward to getting more characters now.

Heroic Warrior
    Why is Ming green?

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Why is Ming green?
    Because he is an alien.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Why is Ming green?
    Ming the Merciless has been many different shades of flesh (the most popular being gold) throughout his long history.

Because this figure is based on the DOTE animated series, he is green to follow his appearance on the show.

King Features and Marvel Productions changed Ming to green because they didn't think it would be a good idea to have the main villain look like a stereotypical Asian man...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I got my DOTE figures yesterday and opened them today and they are amazing. Defintiely the DOTE figures I have always wanted.
    Aside from the paint chipping off the wrist and ankle joints I only had put them in hot water to free up the joints which was very easy.
    The top of Phantom's thigh was also slightly bent but straightened very easily in the hot water when lossening the joints.
    They display very well next to McFarlane's DC Multiverse figures and aren't that much taller than the average Marvel Legends figure.
    Lothar and Mandrake should also be amazing. Hopefully NECa make Garax and all the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I got my DOTE figures yesterday and opened them today and they are amazing. Defintiely the DOTE figures I have always wanted.
    Aside from the paint chipping off the wrist and ankle joints I only had put them in hot water to free up the joints which was very easy.
    The top of Phantom's thigh was also slightly bent but straightened very easily in the hot water when lossening the joints.
    They display very well next to McFarlane's DC Multiverse figures and aren't that much taller than the average Marvel Legends figure.
    Lothar and Mandrake should also be amazing. Hopefully NECa make Garax and all the other characters.
    It's a terrible mistake, I don't know how NECA could overlook something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baedal View Post
    It's a terrible mistake, I don't know how NECA could overlook something like that.
    At least it's just a mistake that can be easily fixed.
    It would be foolish not buying them just because of unpainted joints which aren't even all that noticeable.
    Hopefully they don't repeat the mistake on future figures.

It would be foolish not buying them just because of unpainted joints which aren't even all that noticeable.
    This.

These are fantastic figures. Definitely worthy of anyone's collection.

It was a strange decision to paint the joints (especially because they didn't do this with their TMNT figures), but not a deal-breaker.

Despite my bad experience with Flash, I picked up Ming and he's light years better than Flash as far as QC goes. I did give him the standard NECA hot tub treatment nonetheless. So far no problems. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This.

These are fantastic figures. Definitely worthy of anyone's collection.

It was a strange decision to paint the joints (especially because they didn't do this with their TMNT figures), but not a deal-breaker.
    They really are fantastic. The buck body is a beautiful sculpt and the figures on display look stunnning. They are also very fun mess about with and pose. As much as I loved the vintage figures growing up these are the DOTE I would have loved to have growing up.

A wrongly coloured joint can be easily painted.
    I know I would rather put up with small barely noticeable joints having paint chipping off compared to the amount of QC issues people experience with Super 7's Ultimates figures yet continue to buy.
    As much as I love Thundercats, Conan etc their is no way I could give Super 7 the amount of money they want for such subpar products.
    Last edited by Mark M; June 7, 2021 at 11:12am.

It's still a newbie and stupid mistake, I bought them, but it really bothers me a lot.

They really are fantastic. The buck body is a beautiful sculpt and the figures on display look stunnning. They are also very fun mess about with and pose. As much as I loved the vintage figures growing up these are the DOTE I would have loved to have growing up.

A wrongly coloured joint can be easily painted.
    I know I would rather put up with small barely noticeable joints having paint chipping off compared to the amount of QC issues people experience with Super 7's Ultimates figures yet continue to buy.
    As much as I love Thundercats, Conan etc their is no way I could give Super 7 the amount of money they want for such subpar products.
    The amazing thing about these figures is the fact that they retail for $24.99 - $29.99 USD, compared to $45.00 - $50.00 for S7 Ultimates.

I know this isn't a completely fair comparison, but the quality of paint apps, articulation, accessories (!), and packaging of the DOTE figures seems like they would cost much more.

For example, Ming comes with a blaster, a sword, a blast effect, a scepter, and a double-layer fabric cloak with posing wire sewn in! That's a great value comparatively...

(I was actually thinking how nice the Neca superhero buck would look for the Silverhawks characters.)

The amazing thing about these figures is the fact that they retail for $24.99 - $29.99 USD, compared to $45.00 - $50.00 for S7 Ultimates.

I know this isn't a completely fair comparison, but the quality of paint apps, articulation, accessories (!), and packaging of the DOTE figures seems like they would cost much more.

For example, Ming comes with a blaster, a sword, a blast effect, a scepter, and a double-layer fabric cloak with posing wire sewn in! That's a great value comparatively...

(I was actually thinking how nice the Neca superhero buck would look for the Silverhawks characters.)
    I think it's a very fair comparison. In the UK the DOTE cost £32.99 each. At least from the shop I got them from.
    That same shop also sells Super 7's Ultimates for £55 - £60 each.

I remember when I first seen the NECA buck used in the exclusive Superman, Batman and Green Lantern and I thought how amazing it would look for other characters. So exceited when I seen it used for the DOTE figures.

I agree it would be so awesome if NECA could do some other cartoon show characters on the this buck like Galaxy Rangers, Bravestarr, Space Sentianls/Freedom Force, Blackstar etc.

Of all the news coming this morning, this is what excites me the most!!

Phantom, Flash and Ming based on the old serials!

Flash and Ming from the 1980 Movie!!

...and, best of all, Flash and Ming redecoed like the 1979 Mattel vintage figures!!!

I wish we saw production shots of Lothar and Mandrake, but my excitement is brimming for these reveals!!
    Last edited by Ornclown; July 19, 2021 at 03:52pm.

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar

https://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-04-scaled.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-07-scaled.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-12-scaled.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-14-scaled.jpg

...and, best of all, Flash and Ming redecoed like the 1979 Mattel vintage figures!!!

I wish we saw production shots of Luthor and Mandrake, but my excitement is brimming for these reveals!!
    Those look pretty cool!

I really hope Mandrake and Lothar are still released.

https://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-04-scaled.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-07-scaled.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-12-scaled.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...-14-scaled.jpg

I wish we saw production shots of Luthor and Mandrake, but my excitement is brimming for these reveals!!
    Those all look amazing.
    I think my favourites though are the ones based on the old Filmation cartoon and the comic Phantom.

Dang, while I was hoping for Rick, Lothar, Jedda, and Krotan, those are all winner-variants for me. They make me wish NECA could do more Flash Gordon characters, but Iíd be just as glad to get these. I wonder if the head from the Alex Ross FG movie figures would be compatible to make a Von Sydow Ming. Whatever, these look great and I hope they might be sooner to release than wave 1 still is.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Thatís another chunk of money going necaís way.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Dang, while I was hoping for Rick, Lothar, Jedda, and Krotan, those are all winner-variants for me. They make me wish NECA could do more Flash Gordon characters, but Iíd be just as glad to get these. I wonder if the head from the Alex Ross FG movie figures would be compatible to make a Von Sydow Ming. Whatever, these look great and I hope they might be sooner to release than wave 1 still is.
    Who knows... they are apparently able to use the vintage card art, which could mean they will option more characters from the Filmation cartoon.

I would be happy with the same characters that were produced in '79 (along with Dale and Aura, of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I was also hoping for Garax.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be happy with the same characters that were produced in '79 (along with Dale and Aura, of course!)
    I would love all the '79 characters.

Really looking forward to Mandrake, but I'm floored by these. I want the comic strip design Phantom, Flash and Ming, movie Flash and Ming and cartoon Flash and Ming and I wouldn't have thought I'd want more than one representative of each character.

And it'd be interesting if they can go deeper into the Flash movie and cartoon or even the comic strips!

I just found out that the Filmation versions of Flash and Ming are due to come out in August!

Sorry, are these going to be retail, fan channel or only SDCC?
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Sorry, are these going to be retail, fan channel or only SDCC?
    Hi Rhanen, the vintage Flash and Ming figures will be available to pre-order on the Neca store (https://thenecastore.com) starting this Thursday, 07.22.2021!!

In August, they will start to show up at Target stores as well!