Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Found Origins Grayskull at Retail!

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Congratulations on finding this, and thank you for the great review. I donít know if some of you reviewers realize how important your videos are to so many of us. Iím home most of the time while my son is schooled at home 3 days a week. So many are in the same situation. I know itís a small thing but this video put a nice smile on my face. Little victories.

On the castle, Iíd like a darker color but thus fits in with origins which is bright loud colors. This castle is exactly what I wanted, an update of the 80s castle. I already have the classics behemoth, I wanted a vintage feeling castle. This is it and Iím excited to own it.
    Amen, brother. Feel the same way on all that. Minus the kids part, I don't have any. But the rest of that, for sure.

I can't wait to do a video on this once I get it. I did one on the Primal Age Batcave a ways back but my wife does the editing aaaaaand she's kind of a lazy ass, by her own admission. But that was a ton of fun to do and I absolutely can't wait to do one on this. Watching D-Compose's video got me all kids of impatiently excited.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post

On the castle, I’d like a darker color but thus fits in with origins which is bright loud colors..
    It's not so much that it's not darker - it does fit in with the brighter scheme of the colors - it's more so the application of the exterior paint: very patchy instead of more universally layered/blended. That's what makes it look cheap. If they can paint figures and vehicles nicely at those cheaper price points, and other parts of the castle (the accessories/interior) then it should apply to the exterior portion of the castle too. In my estimation, it's a botch.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    It's not so much that it's not darker - it does fit in with the brighter scheme of the colors - it's more so the application of the paint: very patchy instead of more universally layered/blended. That's what makes it look cheap. If they can paint figures and vehicles nicely at those cheaper price points, then it should apply to this too.
    Yeah, I know the old classic castle had that "just hit it here, here, and here with this paint... then spray this black over here..." haphazard sort of deco- which I still love (the colors they went with back in the day have never been equaled since... something about the green and the black went really well over the color of the castle shell), but whoever got the memo in 2020/1 to replicate that for this castle didn't exactly "get it", IMO.

The thing I DO like and am surprised by, is the sculpt. So many of the shots of the castle that have appeared online that show it directly from the front make it look like there's no depth or that the skull is flat (and this is probably the fault of the paint application here)... but in the video reviews, as soon as they show it from even the slightest angle, it's like "Oh, this is more three dimensional than it first appeared!"
    There's some images floating around on Instagram where this one person's castle doesn't look quite so severe... I bet each one is going to be slightly different and it's hopefully not going to look so jarring sitting on a shelf at home as it does with someone filming it on their iPhone for youtube consumption.

I have zero paint skills, but I guess if mine is crappy, I could take a shot at touching things up. I mean, I tell myself it can't come out any worse than the Madsaki Mattel Creations stuff they just dropped online a week or two ago. If I "ruin it", I could just pop that thing over on ebay and sell it for $400.

While we're on the subject, I have to say- I think looking back on all the Grayskulls, personally my biggest let-down still has to be the 200X Grayskull. I was excited back in the day that they were even doing a castle for the relaunch line, but man- I just could never get into the sculpt of the facade or the dull-ass gray and green paint job. I remember liking the interior, and that cartoon version of Grayskull was a nice, new, fresh-feeling (at the time) interpretation. But the toy- hoo-boy, that thing got beat with the ugly stick.
    Last edited by zodak74; February 10, 2021 at 10:38am.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, it's not the sculpt - it's the paint. Had it been painted better, the sculpt would pop and standout. There is that one marketing photo of the castle in which it looks great. It was painted nicely in that photo and you see how good the sculpt actually is.

Yes, it's not the sculpt - it's the paint. Had it been painted better, the sculpt would pop and standout. There is that one marketing photo of the castle in which it looks great. It was painted nicely in that photo and you see how good the sculpt actually is.
    Even the photo they use on the back of the Castle Grayskull packaging itself is amazing... and incredibly misleading for anyone who pulls theirs out of the box expecting it to even remotely resemble what the box is advertising!
    Fingers crossed if/when Mattel releases their Origins Snake Mountain, Fright Zone, Point Dread, etc etc etc that they pay more attention to this. I picture a beautiful classic toy version of Snake Mountain coming out, with a band of red paint just sprayed across the demon face and a few dark hits on the wolf microphone and the gate, with a splash of green on the snake and then oila! Ready for release! "89 dollars, please."
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post

While we're on the subject, I have to say- I think looking back on all the Grayskulls, personally my biggest let-down still has to be the 200X Grayskull. I was excited back in the day that they were even doing a castle for the relaunch line, but man- I just could never get into the sculpt of the facade or the dull-ass gray and green paint job. I remember liking the interior, and that cartoon version of Grayskull was a nice, new, fresh-feeling (at the time) interpretation. But the toy- hoo-boy, that thing got beat with the ugly stick.
    I agree. I never found that appealing. But I was also never a fan of the 200x aesthetic with those tiny heads on the figures and hunched over look. While I think the Classics one is the best overall, this one could have been right there with the vintage if they had just put the effort forth to paint it correctly. It's covering that sculpt.

I agree. I never found that appealing. But I was also never a fan of the 200x aesthetic with those tiny heads on the figures and hunched over look. While I think the Classics one is the best overall, this one could have been right there with the vintage if they had just put the effort forth to paint it correctly. It's covering that sculpt.
    Since they're bound to release the Sorceress in vintage colors anyways, I personally would have preferred them jettisoning the TOD Sorceress pack-in figure, keep the price point the same, but use the "extra dollars" to hit that castle with some better paint apps.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Since they're bound to release the Sorceress in vintage colors anyways, I personally would have preferred them jettisoning the TOD Sorceress pack-in figure, keep the price point the same, but use the "extra dollars" to hit that castle with some better paint apps.
    Right there with you.

I think the biggest thing that seems off to me is maybe the cheeks. They're quite small compared to the original. I think the green paint should also go up the front/center of the towers. There's a ton of other things I would personally change, but those two changes I think would maybe make the biggest impact.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; February 10, 2021 at 12:32pm.

Too bad the weapons rack doesn't have the axe. If they ever made Wun-Dar/Savage He-Man, I would really want him to have the red axe and sword.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I hope my Walmart pre-order arrives on April 17th like it still says.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I think the biggest thing that seems off to me is maybe the cheeks. They're quite small compared to the original. I think the green paint should also go up the front/center of the towers. There's a ton of other things I would personally change, but those two changes I think would maybe make the biggest impact.
    I agree with you. The Origins CG is too boxy-looking. But my biggest let-down is the lack of a dungeon and that the cannon does not fire a missile.

That said, it is still pretty cool.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I agree with you. The Origins CG is too boxy-looking. But my biggest let-down is the lack of a dungeon and that the cannon does not fire a missile.

That said, it is still pretty cool.
    Yes, definitely kind of boxy, with an Imaginext look to it. For all the things I would personally change, I think it still looks neat overall.

Thanks to the OP for the video review. It's great to see an unboxing of a new retail Castle Grayskull. I never thought I would see the day again!

Personally, I really like it. It's really funny to hear some people say that the paint is "cheap". Compared to the original Castle? That freehand paintjob was all over the place. When I got mine when I was a kid for Christmas it was like someone just blasted the left half of it with a can of black spraypaint and left the right side of the skull unpainted. I remember my Mom even saying back then "That looks really cheap".

As for the brighter/lighter color, the original Castle's first run was lighter as well. It wasn't always dark. Here's a good link regarding those variations (that most people have probably seen before):

https://battleramblog.com/first-rele...tle-grayskull/

At the end of the day, this is a brand new Castle Grayskull with some really great upgrades (real non-cadboard computers, included figure, etc) that is not going to cost you $1000 to have complete in box. At $80 it is obviously a must buy.

Heroic Warrior
    To quote Durendal in another thread: "Whooooosh!"
    Last edited by RockinHard; February 10, 2021 at 07:42pm.

The one thing I do wish was that the stickers were tampo'd on....or at least pre-applied. But, I guess applying them yourself is a part of that classic experience....albeit a nervous part. I do like the flags though. That's most welcome.

I noticed in the video review that the throne seemed like it were kind of teetering however. Was it snapped in all of the way?

Looks like Walmart.ca has Castle Grayskull available to order now, so Canadians don’t have to hunt one down in store at the moment. I wonder how long it will take to go out of stock online?

The Castle looks amazing IMHO. Thanks for the review. Who knows if weíll ever get Origina in Australia but Iím just gonna be chill about it. Just. Gonna. Be. Chill.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I have to say from the video reviews I'm really looking forward to getting this now, I was unsure at first, the promo images weren't the best. I like how most things are improved upon.
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I have to say from the video reviews I'm really looking forward to getting this now, I was unsure at first, the promo images weren't the best. I like how most things are improved upon.
    It's really really nice.
    For the Best in Toy Reviews!!
    http://www.askkevanything.com

Quote Originally Posted by D-Compose View Post
    It's really really nice.
    May I ask how's plastic quality of the shell, do you think it's durable enough like the vintage castle, or close to it at least?

Nice video BTW.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    May I ask how's plastic quality of the shell, do you think it's durable enough like the vintage castle, or close to it at least?

Nice video BTW.
    Thank you.

It feels more maleable. Like not as brittle, harder to shatter.
    For the Best in Toy Reviews!!
    http://www.askkevanything.com

Quote Originally Posted by D-Compose View Post
    Thank you.

It feels more maleable. Like not as brittle, harder to shatter.
    Thanks, that's probably better for the hinges and the surrounding areas I hope.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm torn on this castle. I REALLY REALLY want to love it... but it's just kind of 'meh' to me. Same with most of the line. It's almost sort of better than the origianals... but not in the right places... I like the extended platforms... but don't like the shapes of the gun.. I love that we get weapon racks... but there arent' enough weapons... and not as many can fit on them... even though they were the first things i broke in my original... The computers look amazing... but no spacesuit...

I don't know... add in that feels small. I have the classics now and that's my only Grayskull. I stil have a special place in my heart for the vintage... but i just can't think of any reason to buy this... My Classics has everything this does, just better...

Except for the stupid classics dungeon. I hate that thing. I would take 'vintage/origins' over classics in that regard any day of the week.

I guess I'll be that one person who thinks the vintage one looks better.

That paint job just screams... cheap.
    Sadly, the vintage one wasn't very consistent with paint jobs. I know MINE was awesome... but every time i tried to replace it the paint apps were all over the place. Most looked pretty crappy, and I just couldn't find a complete castle with that early early paint that was perfect.

So not all the vintage castles were same. Mine I think was better then this version... but I like this a lot better than some of the Ebay finds i've seen since.

Very happy with this Origins CG!
    first off has an amazing box art plus recent in-hand images gives a better idea of what to expect rather than actual promo pics with good plastic quality, a nice jawbridge and well made accessories plus TOD Sorceress in Origins style is very nice, maybe not needed but very welcomed!
    I dont know...there's some MOTUC vibe in this (especially in the face expression) mixed with the Vintage
    This is suitable for kids but good for adult collectors too

I feel confident Origins would be the only line we can hope for more playsets being considered and maybe completed for every faction, especially Eternia and Fright zone. Uhm Yeah there could be some more offerings from MEGA CONSTRUX but I generally prefer playset that fits 6'' figures but a mini Snake Mountain or Eternia would be nice to collect too
    Last edited by Triklops 1; February 13, 2021 at 06:47pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"