Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coke and other company blunders

New Coke and other company blunders

Sometimes companies made some mistakes and can learn from them.

Examples.

New Coke: the most infamous of all failures! In late 1984 Pepsi was highly selling as Coca-Cola needed something to get huge sales, thus they came out with an idea to change the formula to make it like Pepsi. And before it's release date of April 23 1985, there was advertising campaigns even on TV and radio. They were thinking of replacing Coca-Cola with new coke, thus fans of Coca-Cola were not happy and when it came out they complaint it tasted like Pepsi and not like Coca-cola which was a big problem. Thus became a disaster for the company and nearly killed it! they wanted classic back. Even fans of Coca-Cola back then confessed it it tasted like flat pepsi and wanted real coca-cola as they searched for it. It took 79 days for the company to realize that Coca-Cola should not taste like Pepsi as pepsi should be like pepsi and coca-cola should taste like coca cola. Then in July that year they released Coca-Cola classic with the classic formula and became a smash hit, thus discontinued New Coke. I remembered it when i was 4 when it came out and bleech it tasted bad, glad classic coca-cola returned and tasted nice and much better than "new coke".

The Power Glove: One of Nintendo's biggest disasters even for Mattel! this was an attempt to expand into new technology but i feel it was way too early for that. I still remember the ads in magazinses, comics and TV of this glove. Even in The Wizard on the big screen where the boy utters "i love the power glove it's so bad" and that is right because i'm glad i didn't get one because i heard it was a piece of junk. It flopped and became one of Nintendo's and Mattel's biggest fiascos.

The Virtual Boy: Who remembers this monstrosity back in 95? another failure for Nintendo outside Rob the robot and power glove and others. I remembered when i was 14 when it came out in mall places in my city to play samples, i tried it and it sucked as it was a neat idea but the technology was too early when they could had waited 2 decades. The blasted thing gave me a headache and nearly hurt my eyes playing samples, no wonder it failed badly.

DMC Dolorean: 40 years ago, a former General Motors guy who went on to make his own car company unleashed the Dolorean DMC onto the public! it was called a monstrosity by some due to it's design. 7,000 Dolorean units produced had been sold. And became a flop as it hadn't sold well and in 1982 they put it off the market. However Back to the Future made this car famous and an iconic car for a reason, but thank your lucky stars General Motors for having a failure of a car turn into a pop culture iconic time machine for cinema. Hell it was even mocked in "Oh Brother Where art thou" episode of The Simpsons outside Edsel and other failed cars.

Cheetos Lipbalm: In 2005 some lipbalm company made cheetos flavored lipbalm and remembered at the stores looking at that and saying "what the hell". It didn't long. Who would want cheetos flavored lips?

Colgate Kitchen entrees: In 1982, Colgate thought of making frozen dinners like chicken stirfry and all. But nobody bought them as costumers associate Colgate with mouth and shaving products. The product bombed big time and taken off the market as colgate never spoke of it since.

Arch Deluxe: who remembers this burger 25 years ago? i did! Mcdonald's attempt at "adult" burgers, i tried it when i was 15 and bleech, tasted bad. It didn't last long.

Coor's Rocky Mountain sparkling water: In 1990, Coors who was known for beer decided to make sparkling water which was non-alcoholic. Shoppers were confused by the name Coors on the sparkling water in the sparkling water section despite the popularity of bottled water. It didn't do well and taken off the shelf 2 years later.

Jello-O salad falvor Jello: In 1964, Jello thought of expanding upon fruit flavored jello to go with vegetable flavored ones like celery, tomato, salad, and all. But no one wanted them as they think fruit is better for jello, thus discontinued.

Name some blunders of companies that come to mind?
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; February 13, 2021 at 02:01pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Sega's mishandling of the Saturn was pretty egregious. Confusing people by throwing the 32X on the market right before the Saturn's launch was a pretty spectacular blunder. The whole era in between the end of the Genesis and the beginning of the Dreamcast was pretty devastating, especially considering how Sega was neck-and-neck with Nintendo for much of the Genesis/SNES days.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I remember that too

Heroic Warrior
    Though I remember having some a couple years ago in a mini, limited time, comeback I will say Pepsi Clear

Betamax tapes

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Sega's mishandling of the Saturn was pretty egregious. Confusing people by throwing the 32X on the market right before the Saturn's launch was a pretty spectacular blunder. The whole era in between the end of the Genesis and the beginning of the Dreamcast was pretty devastating, especially considering how Sega was neck-and-neck with Nintendo for much of the Genesis/SNES days.
    Yeah, especially Sega forcing themselves to keep both of the console's lifespan is just stupid. A lot of people who knows the mishap like AVGN knew it was a stupid idea to release Saturn than waiting for Dreamcast. for me Dreamcast was one of the most advance in their generations but the business side of the situation are just ****.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Heroic Warrior
    Insert Ghostbusters 2016 comment here

Insert Disney Star Wars Trilogy comment here

Here is some Pepsi/Coca-Cola trivia. "Screen Queen" Joan Crawford had at one time been married to Pepsi CEO Alfred Steele, and when he passed, she was still on the Board Of Directors. In all her movies of the period, Crawford had Pepsi product placement rights, and she did indeed enforce them. During the making of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, her co-star and long-time nemesis Bette Davis had Coca-Cola machines placed all over the sets just to annoy Crawford.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    That's beautiful.

That's solid gold money right there.

Sure it's a bit Richard-ish but still funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Here is some Pepsi/Coca-Cola trivia. "Screen Queen" Joan Crawford had at one time been married to Pepsi CEO Alfred Steele, and when he passed, she was still on the Board Of Directors. In all her movies of the period, Crawford had Pepsi product placement rights, and she did indeed enforce them. During the making of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, her co-star and long-time nemesis Bette Davis had Coca-Cola machines placed all over the sets just to annoy Crawford.

Man, who knows what would have happened if Sega stuck with the idea of the Saturn being a 2D powerhouse and did their own thing while the others chased the 3D thing. I wish we could have seen it. Saturn 3D games are super rough to go back to but the 2D games are gorgeous and I wish there were more.

I'm not sure how much it ultimately would have mattered - I think the exclusivity contracts that Sony had in place for certain games like Metal Gear Solid did plenty to give them an edge over Sega and Nintendo - but I think if Sega of Japan and Sega of America were both on the same page with regard to marketing the Saturn and releasing certain games for it, it may have done better, at least, than it did. But Sega of America was misguidedly trying to get people onboard with the 32X, which was redundant and something nobody really needed or wanted, and in doing so they split their own audience between the 32X and the Saturn. After that, a big chunk of people who might have been inclined to give the Saturn a try were too burned to bother with it.

Not to mention the rushed launch of the Saturn in America, which burned retailers so much that many stores refused to ever carry Sega products again. That was a whole other debacle.

There's a lot to the whole story, with a lot of variables, but altogether it's just a shame. I was more of a Nintendo fan, but in looking back on the history it's pretty incredible how quickly Sega went from owning half of the video game market to completely getting out of the console business, and they ultimately had no one but themselves to blame. Competition from Sony didn't help but it was really their own poor decisions that crippled them. The Dreamcast was a great machine but by then the damage was already fatal.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    That's beautiful.

That's solid gold money right there.

Sure it's a bit Richard-ish but still funny.
    Pepsi/Coke is not the only drink Crawford and Davis fought over. In another funny story, Davis once poured a glass of scotch at a Hollywood party and announced it was for Crawford. The reporter she was talking to mistook this as a surprisingly magnanimous gesture and said "That's nice of you, but Crawford only drinks vodka".

Davis retorted "I don't care what she drinks, this is going in her *bleep* face!"
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Heroic Warrior
    Not many are aware but new coke actually lasted into the 2000s.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    I'm not sure how much it ultimately would have mattered - I think the exclusivity contracts that Sony had in place for certain games like Metal Gear Solid did plenty to give them an edge over Sega and Nintendo - but I think if Sega of Japan and Sega of America were both on the same page with regard to marketing the Saturn and releasing certain games for it, it may have done better, at least, than it did. But Sega of America was misguidedly trying to get people onboard with the 32X, which was redundant and something nobody really needed or wanted, and in doing so they split their own audience between the 32X and the Saturn. After that, a big chunk of people who might have been inclined to give the Saturn a try were too burned to bother with it.

Not to mention the rushed launch of the Saturn in America, which burned retailers so much that many stores refused to ever carry Sega products again. That was a whole other debacle.

There's a lot to the whole story, with a lot of variables, but altogether it's just a shame. I was more of a Nintendo fan, but in looking back on the history it's pretty incredible how quickly Sega went from owning half of the video game market to completely getting out of the console business, and they ultimately had no one but themselves to blame. Competition from Sony didn't help but it was really their own poor decisions that crippled them. The Dreamcast was a great machine but by then the damage was already fatal.
    Now I'll thrown on another related blunder...the competition from Sony was Nintendo's fault. The PlayStation was designed by Sony FOR Nintendo, but after the falling out between them, Sony went it alone and the rest is history. Much as I was a huge Nintendo 64 fan, if it had been the Nintendo PlayStation, I think the console wars would have looked very different after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Not many are aware but new coke actually lasted into the 2000s.
    I remember that! Labeled as "Coke II".

Who remembers New Coke, Arch Deluxe, Virtual Boy and Power Glove?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Who remembers New Coke, Arch Deluxe, Virtual Boy and Power Glove?
    Remember everything but Arch Deluxe.

I also remember CNReal, Cartoon Network's "brilliant" idea to add live action to their line-up because apparently that was what a network based around animation desperately needed.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    I remember the name "Arch Deluxe" but I don't remember what it was that made it an "Arch Deluxe" (start adding vegatables or a sauce beside ketchup or BBQ and I have no interest).

Anybody remember "Pepsi Blue"? (that was the name, right?) I worked at Walmart at the time it came out and the first day we had it in store a co-worked couldn't wait to try a bottle. He bought it and took one drink and said "ya know, I'm going to finish this bottle but only because I paid for it..." and he left for the break room. I was back there less than 10 minutes later and he hadn't drank more than two sips out if it since that first drink and he dumped it in the sink before he went back to work.

Then there was the Richard Simmons cookies... Walmart had the exclusive on those and they bought into them huge. They were a chocolate cake cookie that was covered in chocolate (there are/have been many other brands that look/taste exactly the same though these were supposed to be low calorie). I don't know if it was a case of just massive over-ordering on Walmart's part or if it was the Simmons connection but I remember the front wall of the store (old school store in the days when supercenters were just becoming a thing) being stacked floor to ceiling for at least 50 feet of shelving and the stuff not moving. The cookies had a good taste and I'm pretty sure the price was resonable for what you got but they just didn't seem to move. I never did find out what happened to them, one day they were just gone. Don't know if they had expired, got dontated, got trashed or what...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    =

Anybody remember "Pepsi Blue"? (that was the name, right?) I worked at Walmart at the time it came out and the first day we had it in store a co-worked couldn't wait to try a bottle. He bought it and took one drink and said "ya know, I'm going to finish this bottle but only because I paid for it..." and he left for the break room. I was back there less than 10 minutes later and he hadn't drank more than two sips out if it since that first drink and he dumped it in the sink before he went back to work.
    I've never seen or tasted it, but Pepsi Blue sounds kind of cool. I would be tempted to try it.

On the other hand, I did try a short-lived range of "fruit and flower" juices ("orange and bergamot", "lemon and chamomile" and so on) which were perfectly ghastly.

Osborne effect is no joke either. I believe Sega suffered the same fate with Osborne computer when we're talking about both Saturn and Dreamcast.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I remember the name "Arch Deluxe" but I don't remember what it was that made it an "Arch Deluxe" (start adding vegatables or a sauce beside ketchup or BBQ and I have no interest).

Then there was the Richard Simmons cookies... Walmart had the exclusive on those and they bought into them huge. They were a chocolate cake cookie that was covered in chocolate (there are/have been many other brands that look/taste exactly the same though these were supposed to be low calorie). I don't know if it was a case of just massive over-ordering on Walmart's part or if it was the Simmons connection but I remember the front wall of the store (old school store in the days when supercenters were just becoming a thing) being stacked floor to ceiling for at least 50 feet of shelving and the stuff not moving. The cookies had a good taste and I'm pretty sure the price was resonable for what you got but they just didn't seem to move. I never did find out what happened to them, one day they were just gone. Don't know if they had expired, got dontated, got trashed or what...
    Oh yeah, Pepsi Blue. Best thing I could say about it was it was fun to mix with the lemon Pepsi to make Pepsi Slime

Heroic Warrior
    Would Zima count?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Would Zima count?
    I had a "Zima Zux" shirt in 1993.

I don't know if it would count though, it seemed pretty successful for a few years there. Opened the whole Smirnoff Ice/Mike's Hard Lemonade/White Claw segment and killed the wine cooler market altogether.

Biggest blunder I can think of is when GM stuck leather seats and padded upholstery in a Chevy Cavalier and called it the Cadillac Cimarron. Bob Lutz had a plaque with a photo of the Cimarron emblazoned with the phrase "lest we forget" hanging on his office wall while he was the chairman of General Motors.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Remember everything but Arch Deluxe.

I also remember CNReal, Cartoon Network's "brilliant" idea to add live action to their line-up because apparently that was what a network based around animation desperately needed.
    What do you think of Colgate making frozen dinners back in 1982?

Pepsi blue was gross, it tasted like antifreeze

What do you think of Colgate making frozen dinners back in 1982?
    That sounds like they were trying to be both the cure and the cause of dirty teeth. Don't think I ever saw one of those dinners though.

- - - Updated - - -

Pepsi blue was gross, it tasted like antifreeze

Should we be concerned you know what antifreeze tastes like?

::Kidding::

Speaking of Nintendo, they probably wish they could take back the Mario Bros. Movie,or at least had picked better directors for it. Everyone has a terrible movie under their belt, but based on the behind the scenes stories, that film was just a disaster for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Asher Tye; February 15, 2021 at 10:31pm.

I walked away from Gillette and stopped buying Gillette products as they weren't gonna get my money anymore who shame men for being men, i buy Harry's Shaving products instead as they earn my money where they don't believe in putting politics social justice warrior PC woke pandering nonsense but knows how to make better razors and knows their costumers without selling out. Get woke get broke Gilette. It was one of the biggest advertising blunders since New Coke back in 1985, that ad is not gonna age well in 5 years and will not be fondly looked upon by those who walked away from Gillette and glad they lost 12 billion dollars and This campaign in 2019 was one of the fastest and most spectacular marketing fails since New Coke. They will make case studies out of this. Their market demographic walked away. this is a bigger mistake than New Coke. Gillette doesn't understand their customer base. Woke doesn't sell.

How about Crystal Pepsi folks? i remembered that when i was 11 when it came out and it was another epic failure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    That sounds like they were trying to be both the cure and the cause of dirty teeth. Don't think I ever saw one of those dinners though.

- - - Updated - - -

Should we be concerned you know what antifreeze tastes like?

::Kidding::

Speaking of Nintendo, they probably wish they could take back the Mario Bros. Movie,or at least had picked better directors for it. Everyone has a terrible movie under their belt, but based on the behind the scenes stories, that film was just a disaster for everyone involved.
    Yes that would had been better.

Do you remember Life Savers soda? i tasted one when i was a kid and it tasted like antifreeze, it was just liquid candy and if i wanted lifesafers i'll take the candy, it was another flop product.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; February 15, 2021 at 10:40pm.