Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Coke and other company blunders

No ones remember Osborne Effect Blunder? That still have long effect on the industry on why we shouldn't advertise during pre production, Hell... look at Sega.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

The worst blunder of all is Netflix removing all those seasons of Power Rangers from their roster!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

How about the Taco Bell Hotel?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

It's not a product blunder, but two things I consider corporate blunders -

Sears chasing the upscale market. Founded on a utilitarian good-better-best product sales in a catalog and a guarantee on their products sold to everyone, by the late 60s, Sears leadership tried to abandon their core market in favor of upscale merchandise chasing the Macy's and Penny's market. Best symbolized by the Vincent Price's curated fine art collection (buy fine art paintings from Sears!)

A few decades later, they ended their catalog service (the foundation of the business originally) and liquidated their mail order distribution services...just as internet shopping took off. Their mail order infrastructure could have been used to make them a rival to Amazon if they'd not been so keen to transform into a business centered on being a mall anchor retailer like...Macy's and Penny's.

I live in Anahaim and last year in Palm Springs, i noticed that Taco Bell hotel, a weird idea.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    It's not a product blunder, but two things I consider corporate blunders -

Sears chasing the upscale market. Founded on a utilitarian good-better-best product sales in a catalog and a guarantee on their products sold to everyone, by the late 60s, Sears leadership tried to abandon their core market in favor of upscale merchandise chasing the Macy's and Penny's market. Best symbolized by the Vincent Price's curated fine art collection (buy fine art paintings from Sears!)

A few decades later, they ended their catalog service (the foundation of the business originally) and liquidated their mail order distribution services...just as internet shopping took off. Their mail order infrastructure could have been used to make them a rival to Amazon if they'd not been so keen to transform into a business centered on being a mall anchor retailer like...Macy's and Penny's.
    I gotta say, i rarely find joy when companies collapse or anything... But I did get a really good laugh when I found out that all the SEARs were closing because they couldn't compete with online shopping.. .when they were famous for STARTING the mail order craze... Just the irony of it all.

Heroic Warrior
    Remembe Fruitopia ?
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    Remembe Fruitopia ?
    I used to love Fruitopia, especially Banana Vanilla Babylon and Strawberry Passion Awareness.

OAK flavoured milks recently released Blue Heaven, one of my favourite flavours of just about anything! It will be a blunder if they don't keep producing this delectable ambrosia!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

I was never to fond of Cola in general, I have only ever had it a few times. Over the last several years I stopped buying soft drinks and barely take them at all. To say even once or twice a year is being generous.

Heroic Warrior
    We had a flavour of Pringles in the UK brought out at Christmas. Mint chocolate flavoured Pringles. They were vile, a crisp flavoured like a sweet. My brain and mouth couldn’t comprehend what I was eating. The texture of a crisp with the flavour of a sweet. We never saw them again after that year. Utterly vile

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    We had a flavour of Pringles in the UK brought out at Christmas. Mint chocolate flavoured Pringles. They were vile, a crisp flavoured like a sweet. My brain and mouth couldnÂ’t comprehend what I was eating. The texture of a crisp with the flavour of a sweet. We never saw them again after that year. Utterly vile
    Those do sound vile. There is/was a bar of chocolate available a while back made by Tayto in Ireland. A bar of milk chocolate with bits of cheese and onion crisps inside it...I don't think it would taste very nice. I recall seeing a video by Ashens tasting it and they were not keen on it.
    Skip to the 9:00 mark to see some other reactions tasting it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KndzOOv-0

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    What did New Coke taste like, and how was it different than CocaCola Classic?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I've often wondered the same. I've done a lot of coca cola... but somehow must have missed new coke. Or else it didn't taste that different at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    New Coke was sweeter than Classic. It was much closer to Pepsi. I think it was slightly less carbonated as well.

I believe it was a knee-jerk response to surging Pepsi sales during the "Pepsi Challenge" days.

Mint chocolate flavored pringles?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't remember it tasting anything like Pepsi. I remember it being a bit malty and tasting much different.

Now, let's add Marshmellow Peeps Pepsi to now lists of failures

Heroic Warrior

rebuttal

Let's not. Hadn't heard about this. Had to check it out. This looks epic. Talk about a cash cow. Talk about printing money.

sarcasm not included.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Now, let's add Marshmellow Peeps Pepsi to now lists of failures

Sadly OAK flavoured milk are no longer making Blue Heaven which was absolutely delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Sadly OAK flavoured milk are no longer making Blue Heaven which was absolutely delicious.
    is it me or it's coincidence that anything that have Blue label is almost good, underrated and under appreciated? while you're mourning on demise of Blue Heaven? I still can't get over Pepsi Blue here in Malaysia.

pepsi blue.jpg

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Master of New Adventures!
    Had Coca-Cola flavored Tic Tacs a few days ago. If you chew your Tic Tacs it takes about ten seconds for the flavor to hit. Not bad, but some will call is a blunder, I'm sure.

Either way, I think the Coca-Cola container alone is worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    is it me or it's coincidence that anything that have Blue label is almost good, underrated and under appreciated? while you're mourning on demise of Blue Heaven? I still can't get over Pepsi Blue here in Malaysia.

pepsi blue.jpg
    Blue Ribbon Dog food seems to be doing okay.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...?ocid=msedgntp

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post

pepsi blue.jpg

That is a good news. I know that Indonesia and Philippines have their own production of PB. I wonder if my country rely on US/Europe production?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I don't remember it tasting anything like Pepsi. I remember it being a bit malty and tasting much different.
    It was "closer" to Pepsi than OG Coke, but it wasn't as sweet as Pepsi. I remember it tasting like RC Cola or regular Faygo Cola. I liked it more than original Coke, but then I've always been a Pepsi drinker. You're right, it was maltier. And one of the complaints was that it didn't have the same "fizz", so it couldn't have been as carbonated. My brother recalls trying to play a joke on his friend by shaking the can up and serving it to him, but it only sort of guzzled out instead of spraying everywhere.

Not sure if you guys had it in the US, but my mother used to buy Coca-Cola extract at the supermarket. It was basically just a little 100 or 150ml glass bottle of the syrup used in Coke. We always had some on-hand for stomach aches, but I think it was marketed as a mixer for hard drinks. Anyway, if you ever mixed it in tap water to make your own Cola, it wasn't carbonated of course, so it was the basic taste of Coke but much maltier. That's what New Coke tasted like, in my dim memories of it.

The one I remembered more was Crystal Pepsi. It tasted just like regular Pepsi at first sip, but then ends in a weird sort of flat taste. Left a raunchy aftertaste. When they brought back Crystal Pepsi a couple of years back it was exactly the same, just as I remembered it.

Pepsi Blue sold well here in the states at first, but it was gone in like six months. I think everyone bought it once then never again. The problem wasn't the flavor, it was that it didn't have anything in the recipe that even remotely tasted like Pepsi. It would have made more sense rolling it out under the Mountain Dew label.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I gotta say, i rarely find joy when companies collapse or anything... But I did get a really good laugh when I found out that all the SEARs were closing because they couldn't compete with online shopping.. .when they were famous for STARTING the mail order craze... Just the irony of it all.
    I mean, that was a part of their failure, but there were a lot of store chains that underestimated online shopping at first but are thriving now. Wal-Mart's website was basically an afterthought until a few years ago. Sears issues were manifold.

Sears was one of the biggest consumer lenders in the world in the nineties. You couldn't eat dinner without getting a telemarketing call from them offering a credit card. They weren't the only company doing it, but they got hit hardest during the lending implosion.

Sears doubled down on mall stores when people started trending away from shopping malls. Even though they were losing all their business to Wal-Mart, they pretended WM was a low-rung poverty shop, and that Sears was the upmarket choice, at a time when the recession had everyone shopping at the lowest rung on the ladder.

They diluted first the Kenmore brand, then Craftsman, because the stuff being sold as Craftsman and Kenmore was now cheap Chinese imports. They bought Land's End and killed everything good about that brand. Those three brands accounted for 70% of revenue, so when people stopped buying them, it opened the door for K-Mart to buy them out. That was pretty much the end of the line.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.